Interesting Sailboats - Page 508 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree1241Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #5071  
Old 11-13-2013
PCP's Avatar
PCP PCP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,142
Thanks: 21
Thanked 89 Times in 73 Posts
Rep Power: 10
PCP will become famous soon enough
Bob Perry 46.2

Bob, now that you know how to post decent pictures I can see that you have two winches on the mast. For what purpose?



[/QUOTE]

The sails including reefing are not entirely run from the cockpit?

Regards

Paulo
EricKLYC likes this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5072  
Old 11-13-2013
PCP's Avatar
PCP PCP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,142
Thanks: 21
Thanked 89 Times in 73 Posts
Rep Power: 10
PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: CFS: Carbon fiber stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
...

Fortunately, the actual Mini Transat has finally started, and the Proto favorites jumped immediately to the front, as expected. Boidevezi was leading Pedote by a small margin, last time I looked, with Marie, Gahinet and Sugre in hot pursuit. Haven't consulted the metéo yet, but probably only a matter of time before Pedote disappears into the distance.

...
No Pedote keeps on fighting for 2nd. I would think that with strong downwind wind his bath tub boat would be faster but it seems it has a very similar performance regarding the main rivals. Maybe the bigger advantage comes when more stability is needed: on a beam reach or even upwind in certain conditions with considerable wind pressure.

Fact is that Boidevezi played masterfully in what regards strategy in the beginning of the race following a lonely course and winning some advantage...but he is not losing it. Lots of wind ahead. It is going to be a great race....with a lousy coverage: where is the starting video?

http://www.minitransat.fr/cartographie

Regards

Paulo
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-13-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5073  
Old 11-13-2013
PCP's Avatar
PCP PCP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,142
Thanks: 21
Thanked 89 Times in 73 Posts
Rep Power: 10
PCP will become famous soon enough
Transat Jaques Fabre

Great video from Energa:


Jour 7 - Energa -Transat Jacques Vabre 2013 por TransatJacquesVabre

On the head of the race on Open60 the fight is read hot with Riou leading after having overtaken Stamm. Gabart is closing bit by bit, slowly but persistently the distance to the leader that is now of just 15Nm.

http://tracking.transat-jacques-vabre.com/fr/

That distance had already been 42Nm and I bet that many would think the Wonder team would recover faster. This slow recovery had certainly shown to the others on the head of the race that they can fight with Gabart and Desjoyeux.

On the 40class things are more interesting with the Riechers closing in
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-13-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5074  
Old 11-14-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 672
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 2
robelz is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Riechers closing in? He lost more than 20 miles tonight... Being 46 miles behind the leader he will need serious problems on GDF to have a chance to win.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5075  
Old 11-14-2013
chall03's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,416
Thanks: 9
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 12
chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

While we are talking mini's, can I plug one very gutsy young Aussie girl who is giving it one hell of a go.

KATRINA HAM RACING » Chasing the dream and the rollercoaster ride that comes with it!

Not a form of racing that is well known or supported over here, she struggles to get any sponsorship and worked very hard to be there. Good on her. Far gutsier than I.
__________________
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5076  
Old 11-14-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 672
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 2
robelz is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

What happened to Stamm? In the 11AM ranking he ist 50 miles behind Gabart and even 65 behind Riou!?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5077  
Old 11-14-2013
MrPelicano's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Western Connecticut, USA
Posts: 719
Thanks: 10
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 2
MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: CFS: Carbon fiber stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
No Pedote keeps on fighting for 2nd. I would think that with strong downwind wind his bath tub boat would be faster but it seems it has a very similar performance regarding the main rivals. Maybe the bigger advantage comes when more stability is needed: on a beam reach or even upwind in certain conditions with considerable wind pressure.

Fact is that Boidevezi played masterfully in what regards strategy in the beginning of the race following a lonely course and winning some advantage...but he is not losing it. Lots of wind ahead. It is going to be a great race....with a lousy coverage: where is the starting video?

Cartographie | Mini Transat 2013 - Douarnenez / Lanzarote / Pointe-à-Pitre

Regards

Paulo
Au contraire, mon ami Paulo! Pedote put his foot down and is now leading the fleet, with Boidevezi dropped from the peloton and falling behind by nearly 23 miles. Marie is holding on as best he can, 4.4 miles back, but the gap is widening between the scow and the old school.

I'm very impressed with Justine Mettraux's performance in the Series class, where she's hanging tough in second place with Simon Koster. But who is this Aymeric Belloir (810) fellow in the lead? I confess I'm not familiar with him and apologize if I should be.

Obviously, in a one-legged race of over 3,000 miles what's happening right now doesn't mean much. Many a lead has quickly evaporated with the changing weather patterns, but I don't think the ITCZ is going to be much of a factor in this year's race, since they are not finishing in Brazil and, therefore, not going south of the equator. So if Pedote can pile up a big enough lead and avoid breaking something, this should be his race to lose. Very exciting, nonetheless.

Meanwhile, over in the TJV, Stamm and Beyou have been dropped by the blazingly fast Gabart, who is now breathing down the neck of Riou/Le Cam, just under 17 miles in the lead. By tomorrow morning the universe will be set right again and Macif will be disappearing into the distance. In boats so closely matched, the Gabart / Desjoyeux performance is all the more incredible. Would love to hear the conversations on Cheminées Poujoulat and Maître Coq. Probably looking up the phone number of VPLP.
__________________
We deal in lead, friend.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5078  
Old 11-14-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
zdamen is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Hi guys,

I've been a little bit absent these few months, but for good reasons. I've been sailing my Dufour 36P, and now, 6 months and some regattas after, I can give some feedback on the boat.

First of all, it's not a easy boat to get accustomed to. It will take a bit of time to start understanding the boat and how to sail it properly. After that, even a novice sailor like my self can sail it fast, and yes, it is a fast boat.

In regard of it's cruising abilities, there's not much to say: it ful·fills what is expected. Not more not less. It's more than enough for the occasional 2 week vacation with a family of 4 or 5, but it can take up to 7 adults if they are up to it. It's a mass market boat, so the quality is what it is, but no major problems until know.

Regarding it's racing capabilities, I think they also meet what it was expected. The boat is fast, easy to sail, and surprisingly good upwind, although some tuning was required until we found the setup.

The main thing we have found over these last regattas is that the boat need weight, needs a full crew, even on light winds (10-15 knots) to perform well. All the maneuvering (with the asymmetric) is very easy, you don't need a lot of man power for that, but you need the weight on the board.

One other thing of notice is the tremendous power the big mainsail gives to the boat. Be sure you have a good and experienced sailor handling the main trimming. And be prepared to reef the main early (25knts).

Although we've only been in some club races, we've been very competitive and successful in the regattas and we are very satisfied with the performance of the boat.

We are now starting to upgrade it and tune it up for 2014 season, were we will see if the boat is really competitive or not.

Some photos and a couple of videos*.

Cheers,

P.S. Paulo, I know I owe you. As soon as possible, will try to make it right…

* Sailnet doesn't allow me to post pictures or videos. I'll send them to PCP
chall03 and MrPelicano like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5079  
Old 11-14-2013
MrPelicano's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Western Connecticut, USA
Posts: 719
Thanks: 10
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 2
MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdamen View Post
Hi guys,

I've been a little bit absent these few months, but for good reasons. I've been sailing my Dufour 36P, and now, 6 months and some regattas after, I can give some feedback on the boat.

First of all, it's not a easy boat to get accustomed to. It will take a bit of time to start understanding the boat and how to sail it properly. After that, even a novice sailor like my self can sail it fast, and yes, it is a fast boat.

In regard of it's cruising abilities, there's not much to say: it ful·fills what is expected. Not more not less. It's more than enough for the occasional 2 week vacation with a family of 4 or 5, but it can take up to 7 adults if they are up to it. It's a mass market boat, so the quality is what it is, but no major problems until know.

Regarding it's racing capabilities, I think they also meet what it was expected. The boat is fast, easy to sail, and surprisingly good upwind, although some tuning was required until we found the setup.

The main thing we have found over these last regattas is that the boat need weight, needs a full crew, even on light winds (10-15 knots) to perform well. All the maneuvering (with the asymmetric) is very easy, you don't need a lot of man power for that, but you need the weight on the board.

One other thing of notice is the tremendous power the big mainsail gives to the boat. Be sure you have a good and experienced sailor handling the main trimming. And be prepared to reef the main early (25knts).

Although we've only been in some club races, we've been very competitive and successful in the regattas and we are very satisfied with the performance of the boat.

We are now starting to upgrade it and tune it up for 2014 season, were we will see if the boat is really competitive or not.

Some photos and a couple of videos*.

Cheers,

P.S. Paulo, I know I owe you. As soon as possible, will try to make it right…

* Sailnet doesn't allow me to post pictures or videos. I'll send them to PCP
Congratulations! The Dufour 36P is a beautiful boat and certainly has a very good racing pedigree in ORC. Please continue to share more about what works and what doesn't. The boat is on my shortlist of potential performance cruisers.
__________________
We deal in lead, friend.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5080  
Old 11-14-2013
PCP's Avatar
PCP PCP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,142
Thanks: 21
Thanked 89 Times in 73 Posts
Rep Power: 10
PCP will become famous soon enough
Transat Jaques Fabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
What happened to Stamm? In the 11AM ranking he ist 50 miles behind Gabart and even 65 behind Riou!?
Look at the video

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
...
... By tomorrow morning the universe will be set right again and Macif will be disappearing into the distance. In boats so closely matched, the Gabart / Desjoyeux performance is all the more incredible. ...
That's your turn to be wrong

Riou had stopped the recovery from Gabart and even won some miles. In last post I sad Riou was on the better position and now it is even more so in what regards everybody including Gabart. It is amazing the importance that a relatively small lateral distance can have.

As I have also previewed the group more to the west was going to lose and that was the case, including Stamm.

Stamm, Marc and Beyou are really close and form a second group at already some distance to the leading boats. Their wind pressure is much less and they are losing and will continue losing to the two leaders. Look at what happened to them yesterday:


Jour 8 - Maître CoQ (IMOCA) - Transat Jacques... por TransatJacquesVabre

Gabart is at 17nm from Riou while the other three are at about 80nm.

Amazingly good rooting by Riou that not only does not make mistakes as it has always the boat on the right course to get the better possible conditions. Great race.

….

On 40 class another great race, with Rietchers in hot pursuit of the leader (Rogues) that has managed to maintain a difference of about 35nm. The boats are going fast (14K) and the third, Seguin, on a Lombard design, after have managed to win 30nm over the two on the head seems to have now stabilized on a 95nm difference.

Transat Jacques Vabre 2013


Regards

Paulo
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 12 (3 members and 9 guests)
GeorgeB , jorgenl
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising sailboats for sale welch Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 10 04-25-2012 05:20 PM
THE Yacht Builder List T37Chef Boat Review and Purchase Forum 26 07-08-2011 05:51 AM
Noob wonderings and questions about sailing, life at sail and sailboats Vans General Discussion (sailing related) 49 06-20-2011 12:18 AM
A List of ALL sailboats made with layouts? Myblueheaven Boat Review and Purchase Forum 8 10-08-2010 11:32 AM
Failure to Navigate - interesting post on Panbo Blog & from the NewsReader Mass Bay Sailors 0 12-11-2006 06:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012