Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1239Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Paulo:
I understand that. It;'s just a quick way out for me. You are surrounded by all those beautifull European boats and I am not. I am generalizing and that's nevr good.

I am a big fan of Dijkstra's work. Those are my kind of boats combining classic good looks with top performance. He is a talented designer.

I don't care for the Fairlie. I love that boat in your last pic. What is that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidty View Post
.. It sounds like you take euro style to be said with a bad intent which I didn't get....
No, it is not that it just that I don't believe there is a Euro style. Too many different lines of design to define a style.

Regards

Paulo

Old 11-18-2013

Advanced Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Paulo:
.... I love that boat in your last pic. What is that?
http://www.advancedyachts.it/a66/photogallery-esterni/

It is an Advanced 66 a Reichel & Pugh design with a Nauta design interior. Yes it is one of my favorites. It is amazing how such a sleek boat has such luxurious interiors:

Have a look:

Photogallery ? A66 interni | ADVANCED - Italian Yachts

Have some fun here:

http://www.advancedyachts.it/a66/virtual-simulator/

They are doing a 60ft, a Felci design/ Nauta design that I like even more:

Photogallery ? A60 Cruise esterni | ADVANCED - Italian Yachts

Photogallery ? A60 Race esterni | ADVANCED - Italian Yachts

Photogallery ? A60 Cruise interni | ADVANCED - Italian Yachts

Photogallery ? A60 Race interni | ADVANCED - Italian Yachts

The only problem would to chose between the two. Note that all interiors are from the version with a not raised deck. Plenty of light, I guess that I would not need that semi raised deck

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-18-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-19-2013

Transat Jaques Vabre - Mini Transat

It seems that the fun is over on the Open60 Gabart is managing to do with Riou what he had done with Le Cleash on the finish of the Vendee Globe: he is winning on the same course, slowly but relentlessly, mile by mile over Riou. Riou is now at 14nm and they approaching the Brazilian coast. All the others are losing to this duo.

On the Class 40 it is much the same, Rogues leading and Rietcher in 2nd able to maintain the 50nm distance to the leader but unable to win any distance. The news come from the all Spanish team (Pella) that is the only boat in the fleet winning distance to the leader. They are now 3th at 56nm from Riecher. A pity the considerable time they lost in repairs on the Spanish coast. Will they be able to close on Riechers? It seems more probable than Riechers closing on Rogues.

The M70 have already finished the race in the same position they have maintained through most of the race (Josse won) and in M50 Yves seems unable to catch Le Roux.

Transat Jacques Vabre 2013

Some great movies regarding the last days on the race:

Résumé de 11 jours de course - Transat Jacques... por TransatJacquesVabre

Day 8's resume - Transat Jacques Vabre 2013 por TransatJacquesVabre

Mini transat:

Big news on that one!!!!

For many days Pedote was leading but not anymore. Benoit Marie is Leading and they give Pedote at 20Nm. Delesne that should be ahead now had problems. Really bad luck for him:

The skipper of TeamWork Proto diverted to the island of La Palma due to failure of his fuel cell. Faced with repeated battery failures since leaving Sada, Bertrand had to helm for much of the time since the beginning of the race. He has completed repairs and will back into the race immediately he has completed the minimum 12 hour stop period imposed by the sailing instructions.

I have to say that looking at the weather information I don't buy those 20nm distance between the two first but it is clear to me now that Pedote's option was a bad one. The guys that do the classification were right but I believe they are exaggerating and that Pedote will have no problem in recovering that distance as soon as he starts to sail NW.

On Series boats Justine leaved Kostner behind and it is now 2dn at only 9.9Nm from Aymeric. I am starting to be a Fan: Go girl go!!!!! They are all making an incredible race and are among the first protos.

Cartographie | Mini Transat 2013 - Douarnenez / Lanzarote / Pointe-ŕ-Pitre

Last edited by PCP; 11-19-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-19-2013

Hunter 40

The Hunter 40 seems to be the best designed Hunter ever, even if I don't like it too much, it is an improvement over previous designs.

Here you have a static review and the boat sailing.

Old 11-19-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I'd have a hard time pinning down orn defining "American Style" but I think I know it when I see it. The same for "Euro style". Granted it's a broad generalization and many European boats don;t fit into that box but once again, I think I know it when I see it. Maybe I should have said "one of the Euro styles".

This is what I thimnk of as an American style boat:

IMG]http://i950.photobuc[URL=http://s950.photobucket.com/user/rhpbob/media/Jody4002_zps0a7de3c9.jpg.html][ket.com/albums/ad347/rhpbob/Jody4002_zps0a7de3c9.jpg[/

Bob's Blog ....

Old 11-19-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

Benoit Marie is now heading to the south, so I guess he will loose rank 1 in the next hours. Maybe Pedote did the very best decision? He might eat up lots of miles against Marie...
Old 11-19-2013

European yacht design / American yacht design

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I'd have a hard time pinning down orn defining "American Style" but I think I know it when I see it. The same for "Euro style". Granted it's a broad generalization and many European boats don;t fit into that box but once again, I think I know it when I see it. Maybe I should have said "one of the Euro styles".

This is what I thimnk of as an American style boat:

I understand what you mean but that is as representative of American yacht design as Dijkstra classical designs are representative of European yacht design. In fact they are not, they are classical/modern Dutch designs.

The boat you have posted is not modern in a sense that it is not designed strictly with form/function in mind and beauty is searched not only by the fulfillment of a program but through a composition were a vernacular "language" is essential, even in prejudice of performance.

In that sense we can say that there is an American style an then you are right and your boat is a very nice example as are S&S late designs, including the ones for Morris yachts. But regarding that type of boats we cannot talk about European classic/traditional yachts, but about British classics, Dutch classics, French classics and Italian classics. Their traditional boats don't share entirely the same vocabulary.

But as those sailboats are in America and Europe very marginal in what regards today's production and does not represent the edge in contemporary design I don't think we can make them representative of contemporary American or European yacht design and we cannot say they are the American design style, or the European one.

Regarding American yacht studios I would say that the two more representative in the world panorama today are Farr yacht design and Reichel&Pugh, followed by Morrelli&Melvin, Tripp design and Mills design. They design for Europeans and for Americans and that design that you liked and that someone said it was typically European was in fact made in America by a American studio, this one:

When a design is made following form/function and is modern in the true sense of the word (modern art) it makes no difference to be designed by an American or an European studio in what regards style: They are using the same top knowledge in what regards hydrodynamics and using the same information that comes from racing so the hulls (following the different tendencies in racing) are very similar as well as the superstructures that are designed to have minimum windage and in what regards cruising, to maximize interior light.

Some yachts designed by American studios or by American NA:

Now what really make me pissed and if I was American I was even more is why all this great American studios work more for Europeans than for american shiphyards?

What in my opinion makes production American boats worse than the Europeans has not to do with building and but with quality in design.

While European mass producers call the best NA in the world to make their designs (including american studios), the American ones design them in the house with 2th rate NA. One of the few exception I know is C&C that had called Mills for designing their new boat. There is also Summit yachts but any of them are very small shipyards specialized in fast cruiser-racers not really big mass production builders like Hunter or Catalina.

Bottom point after the the rant: Your beautiful 46ft is certainly representative of American classic yacht design but I would not say that is representative of contemporary American yacht design as a whole. So in a way you are right when you say "American style boat" referring to your design.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-20-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-19-2013

Mini Transat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Benoit Marie is now heading to the south, so I guess he will loose rank 1 in the next hours. Maybe Pedote did the very best decision? He might eat up lots of miles against Marie...
yes Pedote is first Again.

I file a protest

The weather information they give to us is a shitty one compared with the one the racers have access. With the wind Benoit Marie has on the map he would not have to go South and the difference in speed to Pedote would be minimal if any. Both have wind on the same direction and according to the map weather information Benoit has 14K and Pedote has 16K. Clearly not the case Clearly Pedote new about that for a long time, I mean at least 24 hours or more.

Regards

Paulo

Old 11-19-2013

Transat Jaques Vabre

Incredible that Spanish team on the Marcelino Botin boat: They and the 4th (Bestaven) are the only ones winning over the leader and are closing on Riechers (2nd). 42nm to recover, less that the ones Riecher needs to recover to the first (Rogues).

Fast on a class 40:

Jour 13 - Solidaires en Peloton - Transat... por TransatJacquesVabre

On Open 60, nothing new with Gabart controlling Riou.