Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Beautiful boat Paulo.

Keep in mind that chines are not new to yacht design. The first boat I sailed 53 years ago had chines. I sailed a lot of chine boats when I was young. Let me try to list them just for fun. These are all boats I sailed:

El Toro
Penguin
OK Dinghy
Snipe
Tasar
Gear 18
Mercury
Lightning
Star
210 Thunderbird

There must be more but I can't remember them right now.
Chnies were convenient when you were working in plywood.

Now chines have come into vogue. But don't be fooled. They work well on some designs and are of little use on others. But they will show up more and more. Why? because it is fashion!

I love a well placed chine. It can really accentuate the lines of the boat. In a boat that is travelling at more that text book "hull speed" a chine can flatten the butts and add some speed and some stability. But that is a very small number of boats.

While chines won't help the performance of boats with D/L's over 160 they won't hurt the performace either.

Chines are not new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 11-23-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Grand Portage Yachts GL40

This is not really a yacht project but a basic idea for a yacht project but the drawings are so nice and so "American" that I will post them.

Obviously the design is not of a "modern" boat in a sense that it is a boat that recovers a lot of traditional American design iconography in a beautiful way on a hull that even if we cannot call modern seems not bad, given the boat typology.

The designer is Rick Sones, the one that worked (works?) with Bob Perry in what regards the illustration of Bob's boats. I don't know if Bob helped on the design but it shows clearly influences of Bob Perry work, and that's not a bad thing, quite the contrary.

Faster and tdw like this.

Old 11-23-2013
grumpy old man

Paulo:
"SONADORA" is the name Rick posts under and is the name of his current Perry designed Baba 30 that he keeps emaculate. On SA we just call him "Sons". Rick is very skilled at 3d renderings and he has worked with me in the past. But this boat you are posting is all Rick's work. I can't take any credit for it.

I dropped Rick a message telling him to come on over here and talk about his design. I'm sure he will be very happy to see Paulo has posted it. Well done Paulo!
PCP, Faster, tdw and 2 others like this.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 11-23-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2013

Transat Jaques Vabre - Mini Transat

It is almost finished in what regards Open60's: Riou is at just some miles to the finish line with an advantage of 46nm over Marc. That desperate Marc's attempt to go very near the beach to get wind had bad results. He was overtaken by Beyou and had to work a lot to manage to overtake him again. Beyou is at 14nm from Marc now and those should be the final results of the race: 1st Riou, 2nd Marc, 3rd Beyou.

Here Riou and Le Cam at speed towards the finish line:

Jour 17 - PRB (IMOCA) - Transat Jacques Vabre 2013 por TransatJacquesVabre

On 40class Rogues have managed to win on the Doldrums passage a huge advantage that is now of over 109nm over Riechers and continues to win over him so I would say that unless something nasty happen to him and his partner, they will be the ones that very deservedly will win the race. Riechers is losing for the 1st but not Pella (third) that is the fastest and is chasing Riechers.

That is the main point of interest on that race now. Pella had made a fantastic race. He was 2nd at the beginning of the race after having to make a pit stop in Spain to repair the wind instruments on the top of the mast.

When he had to divert to Spain he was at only 11nm from the leader and when he leaved Spain he has at 150nm from the 1st having lost about 140nm on that pit stop and being 8th on the classification. He is now at 118nm from the 1st and winning over the 2nd, Riechers.

He is now at only 8nm and I hope they will manage to overtake Riechers. They deserve it after that incredible recovery. That Botin designed boat is no doubt very fast and I bet that this performance will make Botin one of the more requested designers for 40class boats. a Spanish among many French designers

Transat Jacques Vabre 2013

On the mini class racer on the light wind conditions Benoit managed to close on Pedote and is bathtube bow and was at only 5nm but wind pressure is increasing again and will remain strong probably for many days so I guess that recovery is over and now it is time for Pedote to put on all the superior power of his boat and to go away. Let's see if it is like that.

On series boat Aymeric is making a fantastic race and went away from their pursuers. Considering also Protos he is on 3th or 4th on the overall classification and that is just fantastic considering he is sailing a series boat.

Justine is also making a very good racer and has managed to overtake koster and is now 2th

Cartographie | Mini Transat 2013 - Douarnenez / Lanzarote / Pointe-ŗ-Pitre

Old 11-24-2013

Finot 100ft

We have already talked here about this boat that supposedly will be the fastest cruiser ever. To give you an idea of the dimensions of this boat, the draft is 3.00m...with the lifting keel up and 5.40m with the keel down. The sail area downwind is 1400m2

Even if I have few doubt that this boat will be the fastest on a transat I will be very curious to see how it will perform on a more conventional race with mixed winds and how it will compare with the cruiser that has been the fastest, Magic Carpet 3, a wally 100ft.

Finally the boat is on the water. Some pictures:

bobperry and MrPelicano like this.

Old 11-24-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Transat Jaques Vabre - Mini Transat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
On the mini class racer on the light wind conditions Benoit managed to close on Pedote and is bathtube bow and was at only 5nm but wind pressure is increasing again and will remain strong probably for many days so I guess that recovery is over and now it is time for Pedote to put on all the superior power of his boat and to go away. Let's see if it is like that.

On series boat Aymeric is making a fantastic race and went away from their pursuers. Considering also Protos he is on 3th or 4th on the overall classification and that is just fantastic considering he is sailing a series boat.

Justine is also making a very good racer and has managed to overtake koster and is now 2th
Agree that Pedote is going to win this race when the breeze increases, barring any malfunction or misfortune. But I want to underscore your comment about Belloir. His performance has been nothing short of extraordinary. If you put him in a Proto he would likely be so far in front of everyone the race would have been settled days ago. And this is even considering the superiority of the 747 design - that is to say, Belloir is sailing his Nacira series boat far beyond any reasonable expectations, given the historic difference in performance between the Protos and Series boats. I don't know what his future plans are but if this doesn't take him to the next level of the sport, in terms of sponsorship, then something is wrong in the world. Truly a remarkable effort. Looking forward to the post race interviews where he reveals his secrets.

Oh, and I mean no disrespect to Koster or Mettraux, both of whom have sailed a terrific race. But it has really been the Belloir show this time. And also have to give respect to Benoit Marie, the only Proto that has been able to keep pace with the scow. If he somehow manages to pull out the victory, it will be a chapeau moment for sure.
Old 11-24-2013

Re: Transat Jaques Vabre - Mini Transat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
... And also have to give respect to Benoit Marie, the only Proto that has been able to keep pace with the scow. If he somehow manages to pull out the victory, it will be a chapeau moment for sure.
I would say that a mention should also been made to Deslene that was making a terrific race in 2nd pursuing Pedote even if with almost no autopilot and being almost constantly at the tiller.

He had to stop on Cabo Verde to exchange is electric combustible pile (to have autopilot again) and when he went out he was at 194nm of Pedote, he is now at 170.2, so he has been winning time not only over the 1st but also over the 3th and 4th even if he had lost a lot of time crossing a patch with no wind ( he was at 157nm of Pedote).

If he manages to finish in the last podium place it would be a huge accomplishment.

Regarding the Transat jaques Vabre, on Open60 Riou is the winner and if nothing wrong happens, Marc will be second:

IMOCA : passage de ligne PRB vainqueur à Itajaï... por TransatJacquesVabre

Jour 18 - Safran (IMOCA) - Transat Jacques... por TransatJacquesVabre

On class 40 Pella (2nd) continues to close on Riechers (3rd) and he is at only 5nm. He is also winning over the 1st (14nm on the last 16 hours). A pity Rogues had won so much on the doldrums passage.

Regards

Paulo

Old 11-24-2013
grumpy old man

Amazing 100'er Paulo. Love the engine room.
Interesting how far aft the mast is. There is a lot of turbulence coming off that leeward rudder in the one photo.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 11-24-2013

Finot 100ft / 60ft Ourson Rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Amazing 100'er Paulo. Love the engine room.
Interesting how far aft the mast is. There is a lot of turbulence coming off that leeward rudder in the one photo.
Regarding the rig is a typicall rig of a big solo sailing boat.

It is designed to be easily handed with a relatively small main and three forward sails always on furlers. This boat is not designed to be sailed solo (it is just too big) but it is designed to be sailed with a much smaller crew than the one that are needed for sailing fast boats of this size. The boat is designed to be sailed by a crew of 3 or 4 and to take 12 passengers at the same time.

100 feet superyacht | finot-conq architectes navals

Regarding the turbulence I would say yes but this is a 51 000 kg boat and I really don't know if that turbulence is significant for a boat of this size and weight but I very much doubt Finot had got it wrong due to his huge experience with this type of hulls that has comes not only from racing boats but from cruising boats of this type.

I guess that if you liked this one you would also like to have a look at this 60ft, also from Finot:

It looks like a solo race boat while sailing but it isn't. It is a luxurious cruiser designed to be sailed by an experienced couple.

Of course it can be sailed like that (on the picture) or slower The rig and concept are much similar to the big sister, the 100fter.

Take a look at the interior that I would say is a very nice one and quite unsuspected in such a fast boat:

I prefer it to the one kind of "space ship" from the big 100ft but in what regards that the owners are the ones that choose and anyway it is a different designer for the interior in what regards style and details.

galleryCS3

Ourson Rapide | finot-conq architectes navals

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-24-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2013
grumpy old man

That is an amazing interior. I really like the wrap around dining area. They used to do this on old boats. Love the CF steps. Who built that boat? Do you have any idea of the cost?
Nobody builds boats like that over here. Too bad.

Bob's Blog ....