Not a Member? 

Like Tree1265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
Winds here in Canaries have gone ESE at 25 kts over the last few hours so things are changing. Those boats headed NW are the big guys with full racing crew and can handle going NW up to 34 N to get above low. ....
Not only racing boats went North. Racing boats are going North fast, cruising boats more slowly, but not many, that is true. There is a transat going one and you can use the weather information they provide on line with the cartography:

Cartographie Transat Jacques Vabre 2013 | Suivez la course en direct !

according to this information they will not get more than 24K on the beam and not for long. Off course it can easily gust 30k but on the open Atlantic that should not be a problem even for a cruising crew assuming the boat is not very small.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-26-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2013

XP 38 new nicer interior:

Finally!!!! It took them time to react but in the end they made it good.

The XP38 is a fantastic performance sailing boat, beautiful and with a great hull:

But it was also a bit of disappointment to me in what regards cruising potential and I had said why on a previous post: Thy offered only a three cabin version and contrary to other 38fters with three cabins instead of putting the head on the front of the boat after the bulkhead, near the front cabin, had put it front of the galley, making the saloon smaller and the overall space disagreeable.

Not much space on a 38ft boat and this was a very poor solution making the Xp38 a in what regards living space much worse than the Salona 38 or the Dheler 38. A pity since the boat offered a great galley and a huge sailing potential.

They got it right now, even if at the cost of a cabin, offering a two cabin version. Not a problem anyway because unless a 38ft is used for weekend cruising any extensive cruising would make one of the cabins a storage space.

The alteration seems not much in a 2D view but the perception in what regards space completely different. Now the boat has a very nice interior. They took the opportunity to make also the settees more comfortable.

For the ones that need it they also offer now a bathing platform on the transom, not as big as the one on the Dehler 38 but one that (contrary to what happens on the Dehler) doesn't make the Transom visually too heavy.

This movie says all about the sailing potential:

XP-38: Schnörkellos schnell segeln - Yacht TV - Segel Videos von Europas größtem Yacht Magazin

slap likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-26-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-26-2013

HMoll is on a distinguished road
Re: Some great sailing videos

Paulo,

I almost posted you that video when I learned you had your boat in Nazare. That same day, Carlos Burle pulled pro surfer Maya Gabeira out of the water, almost drowned. Put her in an ambulance, and then he went back in hunting for the biggest wave. Sorry, but there is a line between professionalism and stupidity. I don't know what impresses me most; the balls it takes and excitement of achievement OR the sheer stupidity and lack of respect to nature, even in the presence of events like almost loosing a dear life. On the other hand. what a beautiful, charming place!

Last edited by HMoll; 11-26-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-26-2013

Transat Jaques Vabre

Thanks Hmoll.

On the 40 class Pella continues to win over the 1st. It is now at 79nm of Rogues with 765nm to go. Not possible to catch him but a nice recover anyway. Just proving that they and their boat are the fastest on this race and that without that forced stop they would have won.

But regarding this race I would like to call your attention for the incredible race of the two last. Yes that it seems odd being them in last place and all but consider this:

The First group to arrive were racing in 2010/2011 boats (with exception of Marc that had a 2007 boat), the second group, formed by Louis Burton, Bertrand the Broc and Zbigniew Gutkowski have all 2006/2007 boats and they have a crew, I mean another racer teaming with them.

Alessandro di Benedeto and Tanguy Lamotte are racing in really antiques, 1998 boats that still have fixed keels while all the others have canting keels and that is not all:

The crew mate of Tanguy is François Damiens. The man is a famous Belgian comedian. No experience in racing at high level. I guess that has helped to get the needed budget.

The one that races with Alessandro is Alberto Monaco. He is also not a racer, never raced at high level, it is a boat builder specialized in racing boats. If you look the videos posted by Alessandro you could see that they are always repairing something. I guess Alexandro knew that he needed an expert to keep that old boat in one piece.

So, they are not only racing in old boats without canting keel as they are racing practically alone and even so they are at only at 135nm from the last boat of the second group in the race, the ones with 2007 boats. That is an AMAZING feat. Their boats are about 15% slower and they should be at many hundreds of miles, not at a bit more than a hundred miles.

The second amazing thing that we can notice is that Alexandro is as fast as Tanguy (they are very close in a particular race). There is a big difference between the two in what regards racing experience. Tanguy (that is also a NA) is a winner of several top races since 2001. Alexandro was an adventurer with incredible exploits like the crossing of the Atlantic and the Pacific in a beach cat a solo non stop circumnavigation in a mini racer and the only serious race at top level was the last Vendee. On that one Tanguy was faster.

Well, not anymore he is sailing at the same level. These two deserve a fast boat, they have already proved they are better sailors that some that have much better and faster boats. I hope they will get them.
MrPelicano likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 11-26-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-26-2013

Great sailing videos (clipper race)

The Clipper race is not a top race. Most of the sailors are relatively inexperienced sailors that pay for the fun of racing in a fast boat. They are surrounded by a skeleton crew and a skipper that warrants safety but the images are spectacular:

Old 11-27-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

Tales II recovered the next 13nm and is only 66nm behind. mare also speeds up and has 89nm left to the leader. GDFS has 652nm left to the finish...

The Scow is at full throttle, too and now 13nm ahead. Having chat to an experienced former Mini sailor I found out that Marie is a way better sailor than Pedote. Keep that in mind when referring to the Scow's performance...
Old 11-27-2013

Wild Oats XI and DSS Collaboration | Dynamic Stability SystemsDynamic Stability Systems

They equipped Wild Oats XI with DSS...
PCP and EricKLYC like this.
Old 11-27-2013

615nm für GDFS and Tales II 61,6nm behind. If it continues this way they'll meet at the finish line
Old 11-27-2013

Transat Jaques Vabre - Mini Transat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Tales II recovered the next 13nm and is only 66nm behind. mare also speeds up and has 89nm left to the leader. GDFS has 652nm left to the finish...
And Pella keeps recovering miles. Now at 616 from the finish he is at 61nm. I still believe they will not be able to make it but I would love to be wrong about this.

Quote:
The Scow is at full throttle, too and now 13nm ahead. Having chat to an experienced former Mini sailor I found out that Marie is a way better sailor than Pedote. Keep that in mind when referring to the Scow's performance...
I don't know were your friend got that information but it does not seem true. Benoit Marie never won a mini race and the best result ever was 4th on a minor race.

Pedote races for more time and in 2009 made 4th on the transat with a series boat in 2010 raced with Figaro II and has won several races with the bath tube boat, most of them on races where the boat has not a big advantage as in a transat.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-27-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-27-2013

Wild Oats with Dynamic Stability System

Quote:
That is a MAJOR new!!!!!!

First big racing boat to be equipped with the system. I always thought that the DSS would work better in bigger sailboats and specially in narrow boats. I am very curious about the results.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-27-2013 at 08:12 AM.