Interesting Sailboats - Page 528 - SailNet Community
 1269Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #5271 of 6763 Old 11-30-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 114
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Allures 39.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
For the ones really interested in the boat Yacht.de tested the boat and it will published in the first magazine of 2014. Some photos from the test:

I really hate that interior. Light and luminous interiors are fashionable now and I like them but it is not enough to paint everything white

I really cannot understand. I like a lot the interior of the 45:

Paulo - I fully agree - unfortunately the 39.9 didn't show up at the Southampton boat show as promised. The 45 was there and its clear the interiors are a different quality. Al those chamfered corners with veneer joints i think will damage quite quickly. I'm ok with modern interiors but here seems like they've let down the hull & deck which is superb. A also notice there's been quite a bit of price creep since they announced it so not quite the interesting deal that it was.
Sapwraia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5272 of 6763 Old 11-30-2013
Senior Member
 
donjuanluis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Aguas Corrientes
Posts: 424
Thanks: 31
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 3
 
Send a message via Skype™ to donjuanluis
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Hello people, a lot of intersting topics going on already, but wanted to share about it. Reading the blog Una Familia un sueño un velero!, which is about a family's dream coming true to cruise the world, found the story of the S/V MAAIKE-SAADET in this link http://waltertje.nl/wp-content/uploa...ld-artikel.pdf. The related vessel is a Bestevaer 53 with some special modifications. Besides the boat improvement, I really was touched by the story, as the titles says "Where theres's a will"
Regards and fair winds.
PCP, HMoll and Sapwraia like this.

Life is an experiment, use the right tools and elements, and you'll do fine.
donjuanluis is offline  
post #5273 of 6763 Old 11-30-2013 Thread Starter
PCP
Senior Member
 
PCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,201
Thanks: 21
Thanked 103 Times in 86 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuanluis View Post
Hello people, a lot of intersting topics going on already, but wanted to share about it. Reading the blog Una Familia un sueño un velero!, which is about a family's dream coming true to cruise the world, found the story of the S/V MAAIKE-SAADET in this link http://waltertje.nl/wp-content/uploa...ld-artikel.pdf. The related vessel is a Bestevaer 53 with some special modifications. Besides the boat improvement, I really was touched by the story, as the titles says "Where theres's a will"
Regards and fair winds.
Juan, thanks for sharing. I read the story on the yachting World magazine but you are right it is a hell of a story and deserved to be posted here.

Regards

Paulo
donjuanluis likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PCP is offline  
post #5274 of 6763 Old 11-30-2013 Thread Starter
PCP
Senior Member
 
PCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,201
Thanks: 21
Thanked 103 Times in 86 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Allures 39.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapwraia View Post
Paulo - I fully agree - unfortunately the 39.9 didn't show up at the Southampton boat show as promised. The 45 was there and its clear the interiors are a different quality. Al those chamfered corners with veneer joints i think will damage quite quickly. I'm ok with modern interiors but here seems like they've let down the hull & deck which is superb. A also notice there's been quite a bit of price creep since they announced it so not quite the interesting deal that it was.
It is still an interesting deal, if they change that interior colors and it seems they do, you can see that on one of the movies the interior is different, with wood instead of all that white but what happens is that on an aluminium boat the price is less proportional to the size than in a fiberglass boat. Now the price of the 45fter, that one is really interesting for a 45ft boat. In fact I have some difficulty in understanding how they can make a boat with that quality, in aluminium by that price.

Regards

Paulo


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PCP is offline  
post #5275 of 6763 Old 11-30-2013 Thread Starter
PCP
Senior Member
 
PCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,201
Thanks: 21
Thanked 103 Times in 86 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Stewart 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapwraia View Post
There are some fantastic old designs out there which were way ahead of their time and have aged well - even able to updated without losing the original spirit. The Cal 40 from 1964 is one (although I've never seen first hand). A real favourite of mine is the Stewart 34 from NZ.

First launched in 1959 it was a revolution on Auckland harbour : light & shallow hull with deep fin keel and spade rudder (actually too small and rules changed later to allow deeper spades - see boat on the sling). Approx 60 built and still enjoying good one design fleet racing - up until the late 80's they were being used for the professional match racing event in NZ. They displace 4,695kg.

A simple concept and can be picked up for a very fair price today looking through the website its almost tempting ..........

Stewart 34 Yachting | The official web site of the Stewart 34 Owners Association of New Zealand

pics ........





What a beautiful boat. I like the hull even more than the other fast oldies that have been posted. The keel is modern but less modern but that hull is just beautiful. The boat has also a great LWL for the size and we can only tell that is am old boat by the cabin design. That is strange how such boats were designed has early as the late 50's and the industry keep producing full keel boats. I guess sailors are really conservative in their ways.







I did never heard about the Designer, Bob Stewart and I could not find on internet nothing about his work, except what you posted. I could find another nice design of his for sell, a 39ft and a steel long keel boat but that was it. I guess he had the bad luck of being born in NZ in a time were the world was not a global place like it is now and was limited by isolation and the small size of the market. A shame and a pity.

1966 CUSTOM BOB STEWART CAMELOT for sale | Trade A Boat, New Zealand

Regards

Paulo


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-30-2013 at 07:08 AM.
PCP is offline  
post #5276 of 6763 Old 11-30-2013 Thread Starter
PCP
Senior Member
 
PCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,201
Thanks: 21
Thanked 103 Times in 86 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Transat Jaques Vabre - Mini Transat

and that's it, last post about the Transat Jaques Vabbre: On class 40 things went as previewed : 1st Rogues, 2nd Pella, 3rd Riechers.

A well deserved victory for Rogues that had always maintained Riechers at distance and only allowed its recovering when they damaged their sails.

A great 2nd for Pella, the fastest on the race that did not won only because lost 190nm on a forced stop in Spain and a good 3th for Riechers.


Jour 24 - Arrivée des 3 premiers Class40... por TransatJacquesVabre

Regarding that all Spanish team (2nd) and the other two boats you can see that they are a low budget team: No publicity on their boat and lots of publicity on the two other boats. Good for them. I guess now they will find sponsors to get the white out of their sailboat

It seems that the boats to have for winning on class 40 are the Sam Manuard design (1st and 3th and most of all the Marcelino Botin design (2th) and that comes as a surprise from a Spanish NA without experience on 40class design. Well, now he has

Let's see hoe the New Pogo S3 will rank among these.

On the mini transat the race is HOT!!!!

Benoit Marie quite unexpectedly has showed that his boat and himself could be a match to Pedote and his bathtube bow boat downwind in medium to strong winds. Decidedly Pedote's boat bigger advantage is on a beam reach where he can take advantage of all extra RM. Benoit Marie recovered all the miles lost and is now at 25nm at 326nm from the finish and it is faster almost 1k than Pedote. Maybe Pedote has some problem with his sails.

Regarding the trio that are battling for 3th, Delesne has finally managed to overtake Garcia and is at 33nm from Remi but Remi has a better wind angle and is winning miles over him. Garcia and is old boat seem not to be completely beaten by Delesne: They are 1k faster now and it is possible that we will have here a great fight till the finish.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-30-2013 at 07:46 AM.
PCP is offline  
post #5277 of 6763 Old 11-30-2013
Senior Member
 
MrPelicano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Western Connecticut, USA
Posts: 720
Thanks: 10
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Transat Jaques Vabre - Mini Transat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
On the mini transat the race is HOT!!!!

Benoit Marie quite unexpectedly has showed that his boat and himself could be a match to Pedote and his bathtube bow boat downwind in medium to strong winds. Decidedly Pedote's boat bigger advantage is on a beam reach where he can take advantage of all extra RM. Benoit Marie recovered all the miles lost and is now at 25nm at 326nm from the finish and it is faster almost 1k than Pedote. Maybe Pedote has some problem with his sails.

Regarding the trio that are battling for 3th, Delesne has finally managed to overtake Garcia and is at 33nm from Remi but Remi has a better wind angle and is winning miles over him. Garcia and is old boat seem not to be completely beaten by Delesne: They are 1k faster now and it is possible that we will have here a great fight till the finish.
I suspect the wind conditions may be very localized as they approach the finish, which could account for the speed discrepancies. Even though the little green arrows on the metéo make conditions look the same across a large area, in my experience that is seldom the case. All it takes is to sail into a hole and you will lose a lot of miles very quickly. Nothing worse than going slow while other boats pass you nearby.

And light air is where we know the scow is vulnerable and the more conventional designs have an advantage. Pedote can only hope that he can stay in decent breeze to the finish. He was only 0.8 knots slower than Marie at the last update, with 320nm to go. Fermin, with the hotter angle, was 2.5 knots faster than Delesne, which will help him remain calm for a while longer.

This has really been a superb race, even with all the RC screw-ups in the early weeks. It will be interesting to see if they change the format for future Transats and start with a short leg to Spain or Portugal, followed by a long leg to the finish. Might be the best way to deal with the tricky Bay of Biscay in the future. Getting around Finisterre was certainly brutal this year.

We deal in lead, friend.
MrPelicano is offline  
post #5278 of 6763 Old 11-30-2013 Thread Starter
PCP
Senior Member
 
PCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,201
Thanks: 21
Thanked 103 Times in 86 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Transat Jaques Vabre - Mini Transat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
I suspect the wind conditions may be very localized as they approach the finish, which could account for the speed discrepancies. Even though the little green arrows on the metéo make conditions look the same across a large area, in my experience that is seldom the case. All it takes is to sail into a hole and you will lose a lot of miles very quickly. Nothing worse than going slow while other boats pass you nearby.

And light air is where we know the scow is vulnerable and the more conventional designs have an advantage. Pedote can only hope that he can stay in decent breeze to the finish. He was only 0.8 knots slower than Marie at the last update, with 320nm to go. Fermin, with the hotter angle, was 2.5 knots faster than Delesne, which will help him remain calm for a while longer.

This has really been a superb race, even with all the RC screw-ups in the early weeks. It will be interesting to see if they change the format for future Transats and start with a short leg to Spain or Portugal, followed by a long leg to the finish. Might be the best way to deal with the tricky Bay of Biscay in the future. Getting around Finisterre was certainly brutal this year.
No, the wind seems strong, they are very close to each other and Benoit Marie keeps recovering. He is now at only 18.6nm with 284 to go and is 2k faster. Definitively I think something is wrong on Pedote's boat, maybe the sails or a rudder. It is going to be close!!!!

Garcia and Delesne keep fighting. Garcia is at less then a mile and is faster 0.2K. Now that is a battle, it seems Garcia, old boat or not, will not make the life easy to Deslene

Even if Pedote has problems he will not say anything just for not boosting Benoit moral, even if this one does not need it. A fantastic race for someone that never won a race and that never been better than 4th in any mini race. He wants to win this one badly.

Regards

Paulo


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PCP is offline  
post #5279 of 6763 Old 11-30-2013 Thread Starter
PCP
Senior Member
 
PCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,201
Thanks: 21
Thanked 103 Times in 86 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 349 presentation movie

The boat looks good, the interior is great and the way they show it is very well done.



Another great Marc Lombard design and that great interior design is made by the house designers. Jeanneau seems to be the only brand with interior designers able to provide interiors with the same design quality of the best specialized cabinets and NAs.
AlaskaMC and Sapwraia like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PCP is offline  
post #5280 of 6763 Old 11-30-2013 Thread Starter
PCP
Senior Member
 
PCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,201
Thanks: 21
Thanked 103 Times in 86 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
A very odd movie and some lucky sailors

Can someone explain me why they did not move the boat before the mooring lines snapped???



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PCP is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 8 (0 members and 8 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising sailboats for sale welch Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 10 04-25-2012 05:20 PM
THE Yacht Builder List T37Chef Boat Review and Purchase Forum 26 07-08-2011 05:51 AM
Noob wonderings and questions about sailing, life at sail and sailboats Vans General Discussion (sailing related) 49 06-20-2011 12:18 AM
A List of ALL sailboats made with layouts? Myblueheaven Boat Review and Purchase Forum 8 10-08-2010 11:32 AM
Failure to Navigate - interesting post on Panbo Blog & from the NewsReader Mass Bay Sailors 0 12-11-2006 06:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome