Not a Member? 

Like Tree1265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Aureus XV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The Aureus XV is on the water. We cannot see it sailing yet but can have a look at the interior and to the incredible controls that allow the boat to be sailed by a couple.
This is a gorgeous boat, albeit a bit minimalist and "cold" down below. One thing I noticed is a lack of handholds both topside and below - unless there are integrated holds where the coach roof curves down towards the port lights (couldn't tell in the video). Definitely didn't see any on the coach roof forward of the cockpit. Presumably they could be added at the buyer's request. I would also be be a bit nervous about such great dependence on electric power offshore. One hopes it's a very dry boat below.
Old 12-01-2013

Re: Mini Transat and the Vendee Globe on the American sport's press:

Quote:
"It is the most treacherous race you probably never heard off ":

Someday they will find out about the mini Transat and regarding that one with 71.6Nm to go Pedote, since he was overtaken, is for the first time slightly faster than Benoit Marie, not much, 0.2K. That means he was able to fix the problem he had? or just a casual difference in wind intensity?

I hope it is the first one and in that case he has 15K for recover. Even with the boat at 100% it would be close to impossible: They should arrive in about 10 to 12 hours and that would mean 1,5K difference in speed.

I am very curious to know what happened with Pedote's boat.
To be fair, most Americans have never heard of F1 or the Premier League either. And if you asked, I predict 7 of 10 could not tell you what the World Cup is about. So no surprise the Vendée Globe is unheard of here.

As for the MT, I'm very conflicted right now. I definitely have supported Pedote and 747 from the start - indeed, all season long during the various races in which they participated. But I am also extremely impressed by the efforts of Benoit Marie, and it may well be the case he truly deserves to win the race.

But, as we have all been saying for the past few weeks, there are many examples of outstanding sailing to be found this time, all through the fleet. Belloir is now going to be a household name in France and should move up to the next level immediately. Not only has he crushed the Series class, he has embarrassed not a few Proto skippers. Delesne is also putting up a heroic struggle to get a podium finish; without the stop to replace his fuel cell, he might very well be leading the race, or at least giving Pedote and Marie another thing to worry about. Likewise, Mettraux and Garcia are winning new fans, and I predict Mettraux is going to get a lot of sponsor attention after this, as did Isabelle Joschke, after her comparable success in the Classe Mini.

I will be very sad when the MT is over and have to wait two years for the next one (not to mention the wait for the next Vendée). I'd like to say I'm excited about the start of the VOR, but the decision to go one design, along with a weak global economy, has really put a damper on that event. With just a few months before the start, only 2 teams have been announced and there are plenty of rumors that Volvo may have to cough up money to pay for at least two or three programs, just to meet their commitment to sponsors for 8 boats on the line. Indeed, I've struggled to care about this race since Illbruck won it, a number of years ago.
Old 12-01-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Aureus XV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
This is a gorgeous boat, albeit a bit minimalist and "cold" down below. One thing I noticed is a lack of handholds both topside and below - unless there are integrated holds where the coach roof curves down towards the port lights (couldn't tell in the video). Definitely didn't see any on the coach roof forward of the cockpit. Presumably they could be added at the buyer's request. I would also be be a bit nervous about such great dependence on electric power offshore. One hopes it's a very dry boat below.

I think the handholds below are integrated below the ports at the cabinside/deck transition.. but with all the white it's hard to say for sure.

Agree, impressive and somewhat stark all at the same time, and far too much reliance on systems (impressive machinery space, though) As to the tool storage (and knives).. very trick and clean but only good for those specifics.. hope there's room somewhere for a regular toolbox.

Of course it's all moot anyhow, the price on this baby must be something else.

Too bad Google doesn't do audio translate yet...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Winner 900 Nordic edition.

For the ones that prefer small cruisers with traditional designs to the more common beamy boats based on Open boats, the winner should be the perfect choice. A very traditional outlook on a modern hull, very performant in light winds and with a lot of stability in stronger winds coming not only from a torpedo keel (with a considerable draft) but also from a big B/D. The boat offers also a lovely cruising interior.

It seems that, in what regards small cruisers, the ones that prefer these type of boats, that offer a smaller interior, a less good downwind performance but a more efficient and comfortable ride upwind, are not a dying species. The boat has been a sales success and I would say quite unexpectedly. It seems that they have managed the right cocktail regarding classic looks, performance, quality and price.

A very nice boat that is now even nicer presenting as option a more cozy new interior called "Nordic".

bjung likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-01-2013

Mini Transat

At less than half an hour from the finish Benoit Marie celebrates already his victory.Look at the big spinnaker. I bet that Pedote is coming with a much smaller sail.

Some preoccupation with Justine that went South very slowly before coming again on the right course. They diverted a ship to see if it is everything alright with her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-01-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2013

Mini Transat

Benoit Marie won the Mini Transat and finnished in 18d 13h 01m 05s with an average speed of 8.25 knots. Not bad for a 22ft boat
Faster likes this.

Old 12-01-2013

Re: Mini Transat

Quote:
Benoit Marie won the Mini Transat and finnished in 18d 13h 01m 05s with an average speed of 8.25 knots. Not bad for a 22ft boat
Happy / sad at the same time. He earned this victory in every respect, and that includes equipment preservation, which is key to winning. And an 8.25 knot average over that distance is extraordinary. That means he was seeing serious double-digit speeds for a good part of that time. Chapeau Benoit!
Old 12-01-2013

Re: Mini Transat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
Happy / sad at the same time. He earned this victory in every respect, and that includes equipment preservation, which is key to winning. And an 8.25 knot average over that distance is extraordinary. That means he was seeing serious double-digit speeds for a good part of that time. Chapeau Benoit!
This is not the Vendee globe and their communications are limited. He only knew that he had won when a TV boat appeared and started taking photos and filming.

Regards

Paulo

Old 12-01-2013

And here comes Pedote

Pelicano, as you can see he has the big spinnake on and that's why he was not losing much time for Benoit Marie on the last 50nm or so.

The reason he was overtaken by Benoit Marie and lost his 25nm advantage was because he broke the spinnaker pole (at 300nm from the finish) that as you now on these boats is huge. He could not fly any spinnaker and was losing 2K to Benoit Marie.

He had repaired it on the way and that was not easy for sure, that thing is really big and he was racing. He said also that he was intoxicated with the epoxy. To put things worse, if the results of the first leg would have counted we would have won the race because he was more than 3 hours ahead of Benoit Marie then.

Bad luck on two counts. I guess that this race has two winners, at least for me. Both made a great race.

Regarding Justine it seems that she had fixed her problem and is back again at speed. I wonder what happened for being so much time with an erratic course and doing 5K?
MrPelicano likes this.

Old 12-02-2013

Benoit Marie crossing the finish line on the mini transat

Arrivée de Benoît Marie - 1er Décembre 2013 por minitransat