Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Oyster 665 / Salona 67

Robelz talked already here about the Salona 67. Since we are talking about Oysters, particularly about the 655/665 that's a good time to post about the big Salona.

The boat is pointed to the same high-end market, for the ones that want a similar type of boat but a faster one. As usually when we talk about Salona we are talking about performance cruisers. Even if the modern oyster have already a very good performance (nothing to do with the same type of boat from 20 years ago) and promote themselves as performance cruisers, we are talking of something a bit different:

The Oyster 665 weights 39,000 kgs and carries upwind (with 150% genoa) 262.9m2, the Salona 67 weights 28 000 kgs and carrie upwind (with a 110% genoa) 240m2. The beam is very similar being the Oyster slightly more beamy. The Draft of the Oyster is 2.95m, the one from Salona 2,50/3,30 m with a lifting keel or 3.50m with a fixed keel. That's what I mean regarding the Salona 67 to be a performance boat regarding the Oyster

The Layout is similar in what regards the saloon, and share some similitudes in the forward crew area but very different in what regards the rest, with the Salona offering a big tender garage but nothing with the king size Oyster's owner's cabin, I would say room:

The reason both boats have some similitude in what regards that deck saloon look has to do with the possibility of offering this kind of saloon space and light (oyster 665):

The Oyster 655 was designed by Rob Humphreys (as the other modern Oysters) and the Salona 67 designed by Ker,one of the best designers of racing boats and performance cruisers that makes here is debut designing a big Yacht. The Hull of the 655 has already some years (it is the same of the 655) and the Salona one is more modern and even if narrow in what regards max. beam has it more pulled back, resulting in a largert transom that is used for that tender garage.

I am a bit worried with Salona, the two new hulls in several years (all the other boats are MKII using previous hulls) are a 60ft and a 67ft. Last year I had talked with one of the top men from Salona regarding new models asking him if they would make a new 45ft or a 50ft, to replace the one that has more years (the 44) and he told me that they would make a bigger boat that turned out to be the 67. When I asked why he told me that there was more money on big boats: With only one boat their profit would be the same as with many smaller boats and with the market like that it was the way to go.

I hope that they don't finish with the sailboats in their line, as other brands have done, like Oyster for example, doing only Yachts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-11-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013

The original Yachts had already a bath tube bow.

Take a look:

I thought in my ignorance that Yacht word had an English origin and that yachting was born in England. I was wrong. It turns out that Yacht comes from Jacht. That's a Dutch word that means hunter and that's what they began to be: Very fast Navy Dutch boats to hunt pirates and transgressors on the shallow waters of Holland.

The full story:

"Yacht, from Dutch/Low German jacht meaning hunting or hunt, .. was originally defined as a light, fast sailing vessel used by the Dutch navy to pursue pirates and other transgressors around and into the shallow waters of the Low Countries.

They were also used for non-military governmental roles such as customs duties and delivering pilots to waiting ships. The latter use attracted the attention of wealthy Dutch merchants who began to build private yachts so they could be taken out to greet their returning ships.

Soon wealthy individuals began to use their "jachts" for pleasure trips. By the start of the 17th century "jachts" came in two broad categories—speel-jachts for sport and oorlog-jachts for naval duties.

By the middle of the century large "jacht" fleets were found around the Dutch coast and the Dutch states organised large 'reviews' of private and war yachts for special occasions, thus putting in place the groundwork for the modern sport of yachting.
Charles II of England spent part of his time in exile during the period of the Commonwealth of England in the Netherlands and became keen on sailing. He returned to England in 1660 aboard a Dutch yacht. During his reign Charles commissioned 24 Royal Yachts on top of the two presented to him by Dutch states on his restoration.

As the fashion for yachting spread throughout the English aristocracy, yacht races began to become common. Other rich individuals in Europe built yachts as the sport spread. Yachting therefore became a purely recreational form of sailing with no commercial or military function (see, for example, the Cox & King yachts at the beginning of the 20th Century), which still serves a broad definition of both the sport and of the vessel."

Back to the bathtube bow, even before those yachts, the Portuguese, between the XV and XVI century gradually changed the shape of the Caravela bow from its original shape, that comes from the Mediterranean tradition through the Arabs, from its more conventional shape to a bathtube bow shape. Many years ago I had read on an ancient treaty that the Caravela Bow should be well rounded to give a better ship and at the time I found that really odd. Well, not now

The posterior man of war and cargo ship, the Galeão (XVI and XVII centuries) also featured an even more pronounced bath tube bow:

Back to the word Yacht, it seems to be changing again of meaning. On the 50's and 60's yacht was a pleasure boat of some dimension, but a 40ft boat was already called a yacht, a small yacht but a yacht nonetheless. Now, at least in Europe, if someone is referring to his boat as a yacht and the boat has not more than 60ft, he is being pompous. The denomination of yacht seems to have been reserved now for large pleasure motorboats or sailing boats. Smaller ones are just called as sailing boats or motor boats.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-11-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2013

Oyster 745

Just a last post about Oysters regarding the last model, the 745 that shows clearly the direction in what regards the Hull evolution. Compared with the 655 it has the beam more brought aft, a more modern and efficient keel and a two rudder setup. Like the 665, it is a Rob Humphryes design. Very nice design in my opinion:

Last edited by PCP; 12-11-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-11-2013

ARC - Explorer 60

After the Oyster 655 and the X 50. 12 hours after the X Yacht arrived the second cat, a brand new German Frers designed Ocean Explorer 60

I cannot say I like the design. Look a bit "fat" to.

Old 12-11-2013

ARC - Grand Soleil 56

and only two hours later comes a GS 56, a beautiful performance cruiser that was substituted recently by the 54 on the GS line. Much nicer than that ugly cat, smaller and almost as fast

a post from the guys on that Grand Soleil:

"A quiet final night with no dramas.More quality time spent in the stern sauna with our ever present companion, Betty Swollocks, the crew member who I for one will most certainly not miss.

So, finally across the line at roughly 08:26:37 this morning, which works out at around 30 minutes short of 16 days from the start in Gran Canaria. Including the race yachts we are 13th of the 250+ starters, and depending on the handicapping will be first or second in class - not bad for a crew with the combined age of 468.

As promised, the whole crew finished in Tiddy's polyester black thongs (supplied, not owned by.................I think) . The official ARC photographer came out to meet us so by the time he's syndicated his photos, we could well be on the front cover of not only Yachting Monthly, but also Muscleboy, Nosh and various other top shelf publications .

A great sense of achievement and an unforgettable experience for us all,with many excellent memories and tales of derring-do. Tales that will doubtless be embellished and I suspect many of you may well will tire of them all too soon.

I speak for the whole crew in thanking Giles for inviting us and offer an especially big thank you to Shine for getting us her safely. We bent you a bit, broke a few parts and even tried to fill you with seawater, but you never faltered."

A look at the 50ters that are produced now by GS, the 50 and the 54.

Globe Skipper - Grand Soleil 54 X'OSE from romain Gindre on Vimeo.

Old 12-11-2013

ARC - Hanse 575 - Oyster 625 - Gunfleet 58

and after, close to an older 85ft older race boat, here it comes the first truly "cheap" boat, I mean a main market mass production boat, the Hanse 575, followed some hours later by two medium weight very expensive boats: Another Oyster, a 625 and a brand new Gunfleet 58. All are very recent boats, being the Oyster 625 2012 European boat of the year in the luxury class and the Gunfleet 58 is one of the nominated for this year contest in the same class.

Old 12-11-2013

ARC - Oyster 48 - Pogo 12.50

and then it comes an Oyster 48, an old performance cruiser from the time Oyster built them. Ross Appleby and his 1989 Oyster made as usually a great ARC. The Oyster 48 is a Carl Schumacher design and a boat well in advance of its time, a 48ft that only weights 12 447 kg and has 41% of that weight in ballast.

Battling with it on the final of the transat and arriving only one hour later, the first 40ft performance cruiser and by far the less expensive boat till now (considering the price of a new boat), a British Pogo 12.50, Erick's syster ship boat. Has I have been saying, nothing with a price remotely similar to a Pogo can beat it on a Transat.

Pogo 12.50 , Chantier Naval Structures from Andreas Lindlahr on Vimeo.

Old 12-11-2013

Axonite 69

3 hours after the Pogo 12.50 finished a very interesting boat, an Axonite 69, a 2010 aluminium performance cruiser with a lifting keel. It is a design by Guide de Groot / Satellite yacht design and built by K&M Yachtbuilders, one of the best world's yacht aluminium shipyards.

Click on the orange dots on the boat for different views (first link):

Axonite 69 Axonite / K&M Yachtbuilders

Satellite Yacht Design, Axonite 69

Old 12-11-2013

ARC - Discovery 55 - Acubens 656 - Tournier Freydis 49

Some hours later it comes a Discovery 55, a recent yacht, Oyster style. It was replaced recently by a 57. The Discovery managed to beat a very badly sailed TP 52 race boat.

But the most improbable boat to make a good transat was the one that arrived next, beating a 49ft fast catamaran, a Tournier Freydis 49, the one that come behind. It was a Acubens 656. Never heard about it? Well, the same with me. I made a search and found not much and what I found left me intrigued, at least at first. It is a steel boat built in Galicia and designed by Iñigo Echenique, also a Galician Naval engineer. Well, never heard about him either but it seems that Acubens 656 sails very well. Anyway I could not understand how a heavy steel boat could have this type or performance.

Well, there is a catch, it is not an heavy sailboat: it weights 39 500kg and carries 270m2 of sail upwind while that Oyster 655 that had arrived 1 day and 7 hours ahead weights 39000kg and has 263m2. For the little I could find about the Acubens 656 the interior is much more "naked" than the one of the Oyster so that should save some weight. Even so it is an impressive weight for a steel yacht: A middle weight yacht after all.

:::Construcción Comoloco:::

The Freydis 49 cat was also a surprise but for the negative. I know that this year seems to have been bad for cats (not a constant trade wind) but even so being beaten by a 40ft monohull performance cruiser (Pogo 12.50) by 10 hours? And the boat does not seem to have been badly sailed, after all is the 3rd cat finishing, after two 60fters and ahead of a much bigger Catana 58.

A nice cat the Tournier Freydis 49:

Constructeur de catamarans et multicoques à proximité de la Rochelle - Tournier-Marine