LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2013

Edward3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

had the same problem earlier, seems to be working now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Still need to avoid previous page... it's corrupted somehow.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-12-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
ARC - Finishing order and some conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Interesting finish line sequence in this event!..
I guess we can take some conclusions if we look at it statistically.

Continuing, with some pictures of the boast with more relevant results, regarding is size.

After that fast cat (Freydis 49) entered a Oyster 53, a medium weight boat going almost as fast as the Cat:

then a smaller performance cruiser, a Wauquiez centurion 45s:

then an Oyster 625, another fast big Cat, a Catana 58, an Hanse 630, a X - 612 and a Jeanneau 57 and a smaller X 482 with already some years. Nice boat anyway:

then an Oyster one off, a Hanse 575 an a Knierim 50. This is a 2009 performance cruiesr from the same brand as the race boat that come overall in first. Nice boat

Then it arrived a cat, a big Lagoon 560 and then, much far away from the Pogo 12.50, the 2nd 40fter, a First 40.7, but in the middle of much bigger boats:

then finished a Discovery 55 and a Grand Soleil 43:

followed by a Dufour 45e:

and only then arrived the Swans, being the first the smaller, a Swan 46 MKII:

and then a Swan 53, a Swan 65, a swan 62 Rs that finished at the same time than a Grand Soleil 50. Not much time after entered the first small boat, a performance cruiser - Racer, the Sunfast 3200:

followed at some distance by another interesting boat, a performance cruiser, a Stimson 56.

56ft Cruiser

9 hours later arrived another group with a X 50 entering first, closely followed by a Swan 51, a Lagoon 620, a Oyster 54, a Corby 45 and a Lagoon 440. Not bad the Lagoon 440 performance, for a "cheap" cat that many consider a marina boat,,, well, that's a Portuguese boat ...and they all went fast on this transat.

and that's were we are.

I think we can take some conclusions and one of them is that old designed boats are slower, even with all boats loaded for a transat.

The only exception was the Oyster 48 Light wave, a very special boat very light and very well sailed. All traditionally fast older boats, all those Swans, arrived after lots of modern similar size medium weight luxury cruisers and even several mass production inexpensive main market cruisers (similar size).

We can also see that performance cruisers, even loaded, are consistently faster than medium weight modern cruisers and faster then mass production main market cruisers.

Among the performance cruisers, the very light top performance cruisers like the Marten 49, the Pogo 12.50 and the Sunfast 3200 are really on another level (in what regards a Transat) regarding other heavier performance cruisers and finished among much bigger boats.

We can also notice that the Cats, even the fast ones, many times advertised as much faster than similarly sized monohulls, did not keep with that propaganda and that popular inexpensive cats, many times considered as marina condos, like the Lagoon are not that slow, even if compared with other performance cats.

Regarding brands and in what regards big boats that are some with several boats on the front pack with relevance to Oyster, but also, X yachts, Grand Soleil, Hanse, Discovery yachts and Jeanneau.

As a deception the Swan, that were consistently beaten by the Oyster and all those above mentioned brands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-12-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Do you know where the term "Cunningham" came from?
It's fun to trace these words we use so often.
Invented by Cunningham?

You know, some years ago I was very happy because I had found a way to carry a big 150% genoa well open downwind without the help of a spi pole, passing the line by the end of the boom.

That was a great sailing day and at the end of it I was drinking beers with a British skipper and mentioned that to him. Yes he said, I know that, a Portuguese ....(I cannot remember the name he gave to it)... but it seems that another Portuguese had already invented that and for the talk it was many centuries ago

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-12-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-12-2013

The thread

This thread is becoming too big and the search engine is pretty useless. For many this is a thread where sailors go back looking for references, opinions and facts about boats. For make it more useful I decided to take away irrelevantl posts from it.

I have already started deleting some of mine and I talked with Faster to see if he could help because I could delete my posts but i cannot delete other posts posted by other members related with the ones I am deleting. So if nobody opposes I will ask Faster to delete irrelevant posts to make the content of the thread more dense and easy to search.

Old 12-12-2013

HMoll is on a distinguished road
Re: The thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
This thread is becoming too big and the search engine is pretty useless. For many this is a thread where sailors go back looking for references, opinions and facts about boats. For make it more useful I decided to take away irrelevantl posts from it.

I have already started deleting some of mine and I talked with Faster to see if he could help because I could delete my posts but i cannot delete other posts posted by other members related with the ones I am deleting. So if nobody opposes I will ask Faster to delete irrelevant posts to make the content of the thread more dense and easy to search.
It has become quite a polyvalent thread. Do as you wish, but please remember: varietas delectat. It makes a great daily read. . Happy holidays to all.
Old 12-12-2013

Great promotional video: C Class Catamaran World Championship in Geneva, Sept 2015

Old 12-12-2013

Re: The thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMoll View Post
It has become quite a polyvalent thread. Do as you wish, but please remember: varietas delectat. It makes a great daily read. . Happy holidays to all.
Hi,
the idea is not maintaining a single opinion, my own, but to keep all relevant posts from everybody and just delete lateral non related posts or kind of posts that are not relevant anymore like the ones about old races. In fact I have already deleted maybe 20 posts that I didn't find relevant (my own).

It would not be justifiable if the search engine searched the titles of the threads but it just search any word on the thread and with so many posts and words repeated, including names of boats, the search is pretty useless. For what I saw I think i could reduce the size of this thread in about half, maintaining all the rich content and all the many interesting contributions.

But that is the smaller problem. The bigger one is that this thread is not working anymore. The last page (before this one) has disappeared and I don't know if it has not to do with the size of the thread.

Happy holidays to you

Regards

Paulo

Old 12-12-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

take all mine out. I never say anything useful anyway.
Old 12-12-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
take all mine out. I never say anything useful anyway.
hmmmm... looking for a 'dislike' button! ... not true, out, not true!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.