Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2013

bjung is on a distinguished road
Re: The thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hi,
the idea is not maintaining a single opinion, my own, but to keep all relevant posts from everybody and just delete lateral non related posts or kind of posts that are not relevant anymore like the ones about old races. In fact I have already deleted maybe 20 posts that I didn't find relevant (my own).

It would not be justifiable if the search engine searched the titles of the threads but it just search any word on the thread and with so many posts and words repeated, including names of boats, the search is pretty useless. For what I saw I think i could reduce the size of this thread in about half, maintaining all the rich content and all the many interesting contributions.

But that is the smaller problem. The bigger one is that this thread is not working anymore. The last page (before this one) has disappeared and I don't know if it has not to do with the size of the thread.

Happy holidays to you

Regards

Paulo
The sailnet search engine has always been useless. If you google what you are looking for and include "sailnet", all is fine. How about starting "interresting sailboats part 2", that should alleviate most problems without having to resort to gutting this valuable thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
The first video with the new the RM 890, directly from the Nautic de Paris:

RM 890 : 9 mètres d'espace et de lumière por voilesetvoiliers

Voile and Voilers says about the boat:

"The much waited 890 RM that replaces the 880 does not disappoint on the quality of its design and on its accommodation: every detail of this Lombard Design is designed to facilitate navigation. The interior is bright and spacious and the boat feels like a much bigger boat. ..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-13-2013

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
take all mine out. I never say anything useful anyway.
when I am talking about deleting is this kind of chit chat conversation in the past, and this one after some time. It only matters now. I disagree with you you have made good contributions to this thread and the last one in a discussion with me about Monohull/Multihulls.

I express my opinion but the value of the thread is not only in my opinion but on all opinions, yours included and on the discussion about them. I will not delete any of that but if you go back and look at the post you will see that many are not relevant anymore, like this one will not be in some days.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-13-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: The original Yachts had already a bath tube bow.

Quote:
Back to the word Yacht, it seems to be changing again of meaning. On the 50's and 60's yacht was a pleasure boat of some dimension, but a 40ft boat was already called a yacht, a small yacht but a yacht nonetheless. Now, at least in Europe, if someone is referring to his boat as a yacht and the boat has not more than 60ft, he is being pompous. The denomination of yacht seems to have been reserved now for large pleasure motorboats or sailing boats. Smaller ones are just called as sailing boats or motor boats.
At least in the United States, near as I can tell, stretching back well into the 1800's, the word 'Yacht' merely meant a private vessel (as differenciated from a commercial vessel) and did not have a size associated with it. Years ago I read an article about a sandbagger race that took place shortly after the US Civil War. In that article, they described an incident where there was a colision between an "18 foot yacht" which hit a 'Livery boat' with a church group on board. Similarly Kinhardt used the term, "Small Yachts" in the 1800's to include boats which were as small around 20 feet.

I also understand that this may only be a North American English formal use of the word, 'Yacht'. In common parlance non-sailors seem to assume that there is a size and grandour associated with the word ,"Yacht" which technically is not a part of the definition.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 12-13-2013

Re: The thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
The sailnet search engine has always been useless. If you google what you are looking for and include "sailnet", all is fine. How about starting "interresting sailboats part 2", that should alleviate most problems without having to resort to gutting this valuable thread.
Yes, Probably I would start an interesting sailboats II thread when I have too but if this thread is to be keep as a resource and information thread I want to keep it as relevant of possible. I don't want to gut it, see it like taking all fat and bones away and keeping only the good meat

If have to trust me on that but I am the first to want to keep this thread as good as possible. I want to maintain all opinions, discussions as well as relevant information, including posts about boats and delete all the rest including some seasonal information like posts following races that happened more than a year ago. That's nice to follow them here in real time but nobody is going to read that stuff one year after.

Regards

Paulo

Old 12-13-2013

capt vimes is on a distinguished road

Interesting results of the ARC...
It just seems that when it comes to cruising and long distance passages, the speed advantage of the multis is just not there...

On another note:
Could anyone explain me how the TCCs are calculated?
I mean 1.652 for a volvo 70... Ok, but at the end of the list is a tp52 with 0.951 (if the last boats all have the same)... 2 pogo 40 with different ratings and a pogo 12.50 with an even lower rating... I do not get it...
http://www.worldcruising.com/content...ion%20List.pdf

Edit:
Keep this awesome thread going - it was the one which hooked me...

Last edited by capt vimes; 12-13-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-13-2013

G1000 is on a distinguished road
The birth

PCP and nemier like this.

Last edited by G1000; 12-13-2013 at 11:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to G1000 For This Useful Post:
PCP (12-13-2013)
Old 12-13-2013

Old posts and changing opinions: Two wheel setup

Quote:
Yes, I would have also preferred a tiller and as second choice a single wheel, but what I was trying to say is that if it was a single wheel it would have to be a big one.

Andrew, on a large transom boat like that, it would have to be a big one because the comfortable steering place would be seated on the side of the boat. If the boat had a small wheel, for example the size of one of the dual wheels, you would not be able to reach it from the sitting position. You would only have a steering position: Standing. Not very comfortable

A good thing regarding looking at old posts has to do with rectifying opinions when one change them.

Regarding this subject and after being sailed for two years a demanding boat with a one big wheel and also several boats with two wheels, including similar performance boats my opinion changed.

Yes , there is nothing like the feel a big wheel can give you but if you sail solo and on a boat were, like on most of the boats, the winches are not at the reach of the wheelsman, then going forward to adjust them, particularly on a heeled boat or in bad weather is much more difficult, takes more time and can be more dangerous than on a twin wheel system.

Giving those disadvantages, the superior accessibility to the winches and also the easiness for entering the boat from the quay I would say that I would prefer a two wheel system even if my boat as a big sensitive wheel. There is not by accident that all boats are changing to a twin setup, including the new version of my boat.

When I had wrote that post I did not have my present boat neither I had sailed a performance boat with a two wheel system. The Salona 41, that I had sailed after, proved to have a good sensitive feel at the wheel, even if had a two wheel set up, so that is possible. I sailed also a Dufour 425, a very nice boat that had also two wheels but on that one the feeling was everything but sharp.

Old 12-13-2013

Re: The original Yachts had already a bath tube bow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
At least in the United States, near as I can tell, stretching back well into the 1800's, the word 'Yacht' merely meant a private vessel (as differenciated from a commercial vessel) and did not have a size associated with it. Years ago I read an article about a sandbagger race that took place shortly after the US Civil War. In that article, they described an incident where there was a colision between an "18 foot yacht" which hit a 'Livery boat' with a church group on board. Similarly Kinhardt used the term, "Small Yachts" in the 1800's to include boats which were as small around 20 feet.

I also understand that this may only be a North American English formal use of the word, 'Yacht'. In common parlance non-sailors seem to assume that there is a size and grandour associated with the word ,"Yacht" which technically is not a part of the definition.

Jeff
Jeff, maybe you misunderstood me or I have not being clear. What you said happened also here. What I am saying is that now, at least in Europe, nobody would be talking about a 18ft yacht. That would be regarded as pompous. It can be only here and on the US they are still calling yachts to dinghies but probably it will change. What I said was:

"Back to the word Yacht, it seems to be changing again of meaning. On the 50's and 60's yacht was a pleasure boat of some dimension, but a 40ft boat was already called a yacht, a small yacht but a yacht nonetheless. Now, at least in Europe, if someone is referring to his boat as a yacht and the boat has not more than 60ft, he is being pompous. The denomination of yacht seems to have been reserved now for large pleasure motorboats or sailing boats. Smaller ones are just called as sailing boats or motor boats."

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-13-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-13-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Personally find best "feel" is with a tiller, second with single wheel as moving less hardware. Given unless you are doing round the buoy races 95% or greater of the time boat is on AP if cruising so this is not a big issue for many sailors. Similarly given the no moving parts reliability of a tiller for voyagers a tiller may make great sense. With a tiller you can just tilt it up so the whole cockpit is clear when at anchor. Think it a shame fewer and fewer boats are offered with option of 1 wheel or two or tiller.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.