Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1235Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Laura Dekker movie:

Do you know that initially his voyage was initially previewed to be made in a 8.30m sailboat, a Hurley 800?

That Laura, daughter of divorced fathers, had been prevented to leave school by the child protection authorities for about a year? That she was not allowed by the Dutch naval authorities to skipper the boat and to evade that she was given as a missing person to the Police?

That she intended to start her voyage from Portugal and was prevented to do so because she had not the required age to skipper a boat?

Independently of the sailing achievement Laura Dekker is an interesting case in what regards education responsibility and father's freedom of choice and social responsability in what regards children education.

On most countries there is a minimum required schooling age where they are forced to attend to school (compulsory education) and have no permission to work. On more civilized countries that age is between 16 and 18.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-14-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2013

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
Maybe the Seascape 27 is the Pogo's little brother

Seascape does Jabuka race 2013 - YouTube
Not really. The Seascape 27 is a great boat but not with the same sailing program of the Pogo. We have already talked about the Seascape, it is a daysailer or a week-end cruiser, not a Class A boat. The Pogo 30 is a true cruiser with a much more ambitious sailing program, one that can include crossing oceans. If you want to talk with a smaller boat with the same program then we would be talking about the Django 770 that on one of its versions (unsinkable) is the smallest boat I know that has passed Class A certification and is also a fast and fun boat to sail.

Django 770 : teaser de l'essai complet en vidéo

Interesting Sailboats

Rehards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-14-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Seascape 27 - Pogo 30 - Django 770
Old 12-14-2013

More crazy stuff:

Well, one more circumnavigation what's crazy about that?

That is going to be attempted by a pro, a good one, Yvan Bourgnon, with Vincent Beauvarlet on an OPEN SMALL CAT

The objective:

To do the first World circumnavigation with a non cruising sailboat (on a sport catamaran 6.3 meters long) and also a circumnavigation with a boat with less than 6.5 meters with no support, no GPS (navigation sextant).

Yvan Bourgnon is a great sailor:

But this is a madness

His crew, Vincent Beauvarlet, a wind surf champion give up at Canary Islands but that seems not to be a problem for Bourgnon that crossed the Atlantic alone but...he says about it " The boat almost capsized 150 times till it really capsized in a big storm.... I fought with all my strength to get back to the boat and to put it back on his feet....sometimes I got 60K winds...this is not for all, it is very risky."

Yvan Bourgnon : «J'ai lutté comme un fou, un féroce» - 11/12/2013 - LaDépêche.fr

I have to say that I had necer any doubt about that, I mean that is not for all and that is very risky

And after losing being abandoned by the crew and almost losing is live is he going to quit? No way, he will continue alone.

You can follow the mad circumnavigation of Yvan Bourgnon here:

Le défi d?Yvan | Yvan Bourgnon

Last edited by PCP; 12-14-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-14-2013

ARC - update

Last post about boats that have done well and arrived among the first, even if these arrivals are separated by days : 5 days and 15 hours separates the first relatively small performance cruiser (a Marten 49) to the last sailboat I will post a Bavaria 47. But even so these are the first sailboats, if we consider the 250 boats, the Bavaria 47 is among the ones that arrived on the first third (or less) regarding all the boats.

This shot was taken when the Bavaria was entering. As you can see there are boats still nearer from Cabo Verde than to Sta Lucia

On the tail of the Transat among others we can find a Nauticat 42, a Island Packet 380, a Vand de Stadt 36, a nauticat 44, a trintella 57, all heavy boats, but curiously he can also find 5 big cats. It seems that this year's unusual upwind sailing on the transat was not good for the cats. I hope they all have plenty of water and food because it is going to be a Sloooooow transat for them.

So, continuing....several hours after that Southerly 42RS arrived another group leaded by a performance cruiser, a Grand Soleil 50 and very close another of those fast and beautiful medium weight XC 45, the second arriving mostly among performance cruisers or much bigger cruisers:

followed an older performance cruiser, a Swan 44MKII, a medium weight Moody 66 and an Arcona 400, a performance cruiser:

then a well sailed Finnish Bavaria 42:

and a Portuguese Dufour 40, a performance cruiser:

a big cat, a Privilege 55 and a well sailed Bavaria 40:

Some hours later arrived at almost the same time a performance cruiser with some years, a Sweden yacht 55, a fast cat, a Catana 431, a main market Dufour 375 GL:

a jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42:

a Grand Soleil 45 performance cruiser and the first sailboat with less than 30ft, a Pogo 8.50, also a performance cruiser:

some ours later and in another group a First 44.7, a Skye 51, another fast cat, a Catana 47, an Oyster 53 and another Dufour 40:

a Southerly 47, a Grand Soleil 46, a Sweden yacht 45 and a Bavaria 47.

As I said these are just the first third, or less than that, that arrived first. Most of the boats are still days, some a week or more away.

Conclusions: Lots's of "marina" boats among the first and also many mass production inexpensive cruisers and performance cruisers.

Very few older boats among the first with exception of some Swan or other once fast performance cruisers that here showed a similar performance to mass production main market inexpensive cruising boats of the same size.

The Cats had an overall poor performance, maybe because this year the trade winds did not show as usual and there was considerable upwind sailing involved.

Last edited by PCP; 12-14-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: More crazy stuff:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

Well, one more circumnavigation what's crazy about that?

That is going to be attempted by a pro, a good one, Yvan Bourgnon, with Vincent Beauvarlet on an OPEN SMALL CAT

The objective:

To do the first World circumnavigation with a non cruising sailboat (on a sport catamaran 6.3 meters long) and also a circumnavigation with a boat with less than 6.5 meters with no support, no GPS (navigation sextant).

Yvan Bourgnon is a great sailor:

But this is a madness

His crew, Vincent Beauvarlet, a wind surf champion give up at Canary Islands but that seems not to be a problem for Bourgnon that crossed the Atlantic alone but...he says about it " The boat almost capsized 150 times till it really capsized in a big storm.... I fought with all my strength to get back to the boat and to put it back on his feet....sometimes I got 60K winds...this is not for all, it is very risky."

Yvan Bourgnon : «J'ai lutté comme un fou, un féroce» - 11/12/2013 - LaDépêche.fr

I have to say that I had necer any doubt about that, I mean that is not for all and that is very risky

And after losing being abandoned by the crew and almost losing is live is he going to quit? No way, he will continue alone.

You can follow the mad circumnavigation of Yvan Bourgnon here:

Le défi d?Yvan | Yvan Bourgnon
For all that, he made it to Martinique in 19 days, beating the record of Alessandro Benedetto by 9 days. That's amazing, considering how totally whacky the tradewinds have been this year (listen to Craig Horsefield's interview over at the MT site where he talks about his frustration finding himself sailing upwind in the so-called trades).

I don't blame his partner for abandoning the voyage, but I suspect this will not slow down Bourgnon at all. He will be leaving for Panama shortly, to celebrate the holidays and New Year, before heading out across the Pacific, which hopefully will be more benign than the Atlantic has been. Perhaps he will eventually catch up with the two Frenchmen making a circumnavigation in their Mini 6.50, who just arrived in New Guinea a few days ago.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DEFI-...263604?fref=ts

It is funny to me how Bourgnon's effort makes sailing around the world in a Mini 6.50 seem like no big deal (of course, Benedetto has already done that before, singlehanded and non-stop).

http://www.alessandrodibenedetto.net...tmpl=component
PCP and EricKLYC like this.
Old 12-14-2013

Re: The first video with the new the RM 890, directly from the Nautic de Paris:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMoll View Post
Thanks for posting the new RM. I've had great expectations to see this little yacht. ...

The canopy of the new 890 looks great, but too bad it doesn't work for the headroom (OUCH!). They should've stuck to the high 1060 canopy. I'm hoping they do a 1065 with the sexy lines of the 890. It would top my list for my next boat. That new Pogo 30 is a close second and the Dufour 310 looks great too.
That guy from Voile and Voiliers, the one that is presenting the boat should be forbidden to do that.That guy has certainly more than 1.90m. In fact the "standing weight" of the RM 890 is pretty good for a 30fter. 1.79m at the end of stair.

Regards

Paulo

The Following User Says Thank You to PCP For This Useful Post:
HMoll (12-15-2013)
Old 12-14-2013

Yvan Bourgnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
For all that, he made it to Martinique in 19 days, beating the record of Alessandro Benedetto by 9 days. That's amazing, considering how totally whacky the tradewinds have been this year (listen to Craig Horsefield's interview over at the MT site where he talks about his frustration finding himself sailing upwind in the so-called trades).

I don't blame his partner for abandoning the voyage, but I suspect this will not slow down Bourgnon at all. He will be leaving for Panama shortly, to celebrate the holidays and New Year, before heading out across the Pacific, which hopefully will be more benign than the Atlantic has been. ...
On the ARC this year the first boat beat the race record. Yes the weather is crazy and the wind is not on it was supposed to be but there but there is wind.

Alessandro de Benedetto is today a great sailor and a professional one but back when he crossed the Atlantic in a cat he was more an adventurer than a top sailor.

What Bourgnon is trying to do is plain crazy but he is certainly a top sailor and with no comparison with Benedetto at the time he crossed the Atlantic. Just look at his curriculum as a sailor:

In 1995, he won the Mini-Fastnet, the « Transgascogne » and the la Mini-Transat. With his brother Laurent he won the 1997 la Transat Jacques Vabres and in 1999 he finishes 3rd after having to stop on the way for repairs.

and more this:

"In 2000, he became the record holder for the longest distance ever traveled with a crew on24 hours ( 625.34 miles ) on a 60 foot trimaran during the Transat Quebec - Saint Malo finishing 3rd.

Yvan Bourgnon sur le Trimaran Brossard por teamocean
In 2001, he became the record holder Challenge Detroit Channel crew in 2h 14mn and 55s.

In 2002 during the Route du Rhum , while capsized , Yvan stayed five days aboard refusing to abandon his capsized multihull.
This year he was won the Grand Prix de Grandson eand the Grand Prix the Versoix with a NacraF20carbon."

Yes, crazy, but a great sailor

Last edited by PCP; 12-14-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2013

Dehler 38 - another boat test

There are lot's of great boats among the ones nominated for the European boat of the year but this would be the one I would probably choose on the performance category: The boat marks the return of Dehler to a great and beautiful cruising interior. T

The Dehler 38 is very close to the perfection in what regards compromise between cruising and club racing (with the possibility to have a top boat for serious racing, a much more expensive one), in fact if offers great performance, a big cruising potential, beauty and an interesting price. Difficult to ask for more. A great design by Judel & Vrolijk.

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileB.../dehler38_.swf

The boat was tested by the British Magazine Sailing Today and they said about it:

Dehler yachts have always been designed to satisfy a yearning for speed and performance under sail – and the new 38 is definitely no exception...(Dehler) is back to producing top-class sailing cruisers.

In a Hamble marina filled with beamy new cruising yachts she looks somewhat waif-like, sporting a fine bow and conservative beam (by today’s standards). While this gives her an arrow-like overall appearance, it consequently also reduces the amount of interior volume – albeit not by a massive amount.

... The cockpit-adjustable genoa tracks are tucked well inboard, giving her headsail a nice tight sheeting angle as well as keeping the side decks free from trip or snagging hazards...

Her cockpit is pragmatically arranged and is likely to appeal to sailors and cruising passengers alike. Most of the sail controls are easily within reach from the helms, while still giving clear access aft to the large transom platform for accessing the water or dinghy.
As I descended the companionway steps I was expecting a rather stark, ‘stripped out’ interior that many of the more performance-orientated yachts often have. I was pleasantly surprised. ...

Rather than the acres of white, hose-down plastic I’d been expecting, there were nice, traditional wooden bulkheads and lockers, teak and holly sole boards, and pleasant off-white upholstery with all the trimmings.

To sum up her performance – she’s an absolute delight to sail. Well balanced, sprightly through tacks, light on the helm, tracks as if she’s on rails and generally feels like a fully-spec’d racing machine – but without the twitchiness of a thoroughbred racer.

This is a sailor’s yacht, which, with the addition of a few more performance options, can be raced competitively if desired. However, she will perform equally well as a comfortable and safe offshore cruiser for less ambitious family holidays.

The basic price is very competitive...

Dehler 38: Review and test - Sailing Today | Sailing Today

Last edited by PCP; 12-15-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-15-2013

Allures: 10 years of history and sucess

Sapwraia likes this.

Old 12-15-2013

They don't know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
... two Frenchmen making a circumnavigation in their Mini 6.50, who just arrived in New Guinea a few days ago.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DEFI-...263604?fref=ts

These guys are ignorant:

They don't know that a Modern light 21 ft light boat has not the load capacity to carry water, provisions and cruising equipment for two on a Transat, much less in a circumnavigation.

They don't know that the boat loaded that way will be as slow as an heavy boat..... and that's why they go fast

They don't know that this is not a boat designed to cross oceans

They don't know that they should not have so much fun with so little money

If somebody wishes to do the same with a bit more comfort and not much money these guys make similarly designed boats more adapted for cruising. They even have an "huge" one with 25ft

Marée Haute - Django 7.70
Anders B likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 12-15-2013 at 05:36 PM.