Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Great: The transat of Benoit Marie

Don't lose this one. Great movie: The race of the winner of the Mini Transat.

EricKLYC likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2013

Knierim P33

The First time I heard about Knierim yachrs was when an almost new 65fter (a Botin design) won the ARC.

It turns out that it is a very specialized German shipyard that for years had made carbon high performance boats by command of some of the more important designers an that know decided to commercialize its own brand : Knierim Yachts.

I know some of the boats built there like the Ker 50 Varuna. They have also build besides that big and fast 65fter and the ker 50, a KNIERIM 50, an ELLIOTT 57S, a 53' Performance Cruiser, a 60' Daysailer e several other mostly big performance cruisers and racers.

The exception regarding big yachts is a very interesting 33fter, the P33, this baby:

The boat is beautiful and when I look at the dimension of this judel/vrolijk design....well, I want to go ut sailing one. Just look at this:

LOA 10 m, beam 3.20m, Draft 2.50m, weight 2780 g, ballast ratio: 54%, sail area upwind 65.4 m2 (SA/D 33.6) sail area downwind 153.8m2.

This is a very stiff and powerful sailboat and not only a nice one. The boat is going to be at Dusseldorf and I want to see this beauty on the flesh or should I say on the carbon?

http://www.knierim-yachtbau.de/downl...ierim_P33D.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-21-2013

Van Rietschoten, a sail legend, is not among us anymore.

Old 12-21-2013

APP Mode is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Hello,

I am trying to help some friends in Portugal, they bought a sport sailing boat long time ago a DYAS.

The boat is quite old and needs, and they want to renewed it. I can't find the website of the producer in switzerland. Can you help me?

We are in Portugal and i would like to find a place where we can renovate it.

Thanks for your help !
Old 12-21-2013

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by APP Mode View Post
Hello,

I am trying to help some friends in Portugal, they bought a sport sailing boat long time ago a DYAS.

The boat is quite old and needs, and they want to renewed it. I can't find the website of the producer in switzerland. Can you help me?

We are in Portugal and i would like to find a place where we can renovate it.

Thanks for your help !
I can try.

I cannot see the photo. It is one of these:

DYAS sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Please give me more information by a PM: Were is the boat?, Size? Where do they want to store it? On an open space? Closed space? they want to renovate it themselves? They want professional help?

Regards

Paulo

Old 12-21-2013

Celebrating a year in sailing - An American movie?

Posted by CNN:

Last edited by PCP; 12-21-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-21-2013

Open 60's (Imoca) new rules regarding the boats for 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
and they go in the right direction: less costs and more reliability.

The hulls will be free (inside the existent rules) but the keels and masts will be standardized.

Two kinds of masts will be allowed: fixed with masts spreaders and rotating wing masts, type "tuna" with their big outriggers.

In what regards the keels they will be more reliable since they will be all carved from a steel block. More expensive and unreliable carbon fiber or welded structures will not be allowed (of course, the bulb will be lead).

There was talk about the canting keel system to be also standard but it seems that did not went ahead also has the old idea to have the boats using only renewable energies.

and some figures related with $$$$$$$ and the IMOCA class:

816 TV hours and over 400 million euros media value for the past 4 years

and that's why it is a great class with beautiful fast boats and a big evolution in what regards design: the average life of a winning boat is of about 4 or 5 years. No money, no new boats, no high tech, no development.
Some very interesting additional information and some corrections:

It seems that after all the canting mechanism will be standard. I read an interesting interview with Vincent Lauriot-Prévost that explains the consequences of these modifications namely about the importance of the elimination of the limitations regarding the heel at 10º.

Without the elimination of that limitation the old boats would be faster than the new ones. The canting system will be more reliable but also heavier as well as the keel foils, now in solid steel, while the faster boats had it made in Carbone or in a kind of void steel structure.

The standardization of masts will also imply a stronger mast but also an heavier one.

All that would give an heavier boat and the small hull improvements risked not to be enough to compensate that. They would have a problem in what regards making faster new boats.

To compensate that they eliminated an old rule (from 1996) that demanded that a boat in its worst configuration, meaning ballast full and the keel on the wrong size, should not have an angle of heel superior to 10º

VLP says that rule does not make sense anymore because it created prejudicial results: For respecting that angle the solution passed for creating water ballast that had no influence on that angle (more nearer the center of the boat). He says that the water ballast needed to achieve that arrived to 4000 liters on a boat that weighted about 7000kgs.

without that limitation it is possible to have boats that need a lot less water ballast, boats that will be lighter while sailing. VLP says that the design of the new boats will pose new challenges. Now they can put the ballast on the more effective position and use less ballast for the same effect. The boats will have a max RM of 25,5 t/m at 25° of Wheel. To manage that there are a lot of options now and the boat design is a lot more open. The bulb will have a max weight of 3 100 kg but it is possible to have less and compensate with water ballasts.

The max beam is a bit reduced (5.85m) and the angle of the canting keel is the same for all: 38º

Juan Kouyoumdjian and VPLP-Verdier have made about the same recomendation to make the new boats faster (the ones that where adopted) while Farr purposed to take measures to make the existent boats slower.

We will see if they manage to make faster boats than the ones from the next generation and it will not be easy since the bulb max weight was bigger (3 500kg) and the max RM at 25º was bigger too (26,5 t/m).

With heavier masts and heavier keel foils and heavier canting keel mechanisms it will be a true challenge to make faster boats.

The only advantage of the new boats will be a more effective position of water ballasts (needing less water) and improvements in what regards hull design and boat balance.

Very interesting stuff and again very interesting developments ahead in what regards boat design: the new boats will be probably much more different between them since there are more options to achieve the same result in what regards Max RM allowed

Jauge IMOCA-Vincent Lauriot-Prévost : « On a supprimé un facteur pervers : le test de gîte à 10°? » - Annonce bateaux - Annonces bateaux - Occasion Bateaux - Occasion Voiliers - Occasion voiles

Last edited by PCP; 12-21-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Celebrating a year in sailing - An American movie?

Quote:
Posted by CNN:

And for all that talent and achievement, ISAF gave the award to 470 sailors? A boat that nobody sails other than a handful of Olympic hopefuls? And these undoubtedly outstanding sailors were more worthy than the man who obliterated the world sailing speed record? Or the man who not only won the most grueling offshore race in the world, but did it on his first try, at 29 years of age, while shaving 7 days off the record? And despite my personal indifference to the Americas Cup, wasn't Jimmy Spithill's accomplishment nothing short of miraculous in the history of yacht racing, coming from an 8 race deficit to win the Cup?

Sometimes I think ISAF is more concerned with kissing the ass of Olympic sponsors than really honoring the sport of sailing (again, taking nothing away from this year's winners). Oh well...
Old 12-22-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road
Re: Knierim P33

Knierim builds in an outstanding quality. The P33 is 3 years old. There is one for sale (2010, 220.000€ incl. VAT, huge sail wardrobe and Nexus NX2 complete)...

Quote:
The First time I heard about Knierim yachrs was when an almost new 65fter (a Botin design) won the ARC.

It turns out that it is a very specialized German shipyard that for years had made carbon high performance boats by command of some of the more important designers an that know decided to commercialize its own brand : Knierim Yachts.

I know some of the boats built there like the Ker 50 Varuna. They have also build besides that big and fast 65fter and the ker 50, a KNIERIM 50, an ELLIOTT 57S, a 53' Performance Cruiser, a 60' Daysailer e several other mostly big performance cruisers and racers.

The exception regarding big yachts is a very interesting 33fter, the P33, this baby:

The boat is beautiful and when I look at the dimension of this judel/vrolijk design....well, I want to go ut sailing one. Just look at this:

LOA 10 m, beam 3.20m, Draft 2.50m, weight 2780 g, ballast ratio: 54%, sail area upwind 65.4 m2 (SA/D 33.6) sail area downwind 153.8m2.

This is a very stiff and powerful sailboat and not only a nice one. The boat is going to be at Dusseldorf and I want to see this beauty on the flesh or should I say on the carbon?

http://www.knierim-yachtbau.de/downl...ierim_P33D.pdf
Old 12-22-2013

Re: Celebrating a year in sailing - An American movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
And for all that talent and achievement, ISAF gave the award to 470 sailors? A boat that nobody sails other than a handful of Olympic hopefuls? And these undoubtedly outstanding sailors were more worthy than the man who obliterated the world sailing speed record? Or the man who not only won the most grueling offshore race in the world, but did it on his first try, at 29 years of age, while shaving 7 days off the record? And despite my personal indifference to the Americas Cup, wasn't Jimmy Spithill's accomplishment nothing short of miraculous in the history of yacht racing, coming from an 8 race deficit to win the Cup?

Sometimes I think ISAF is more concerned with kissing the ass of Olympic sponsors than really honoring the sport of sailing (again, taking nothing away from this year's winners). Oh well...
ISAF has a problem in what concerns a vision of sail as a sport. The many inside conflicting interests and a lack of a structure with different levels of importance, in what regards sail sport, make it impossible for them to have a significant role in what regards the development of sail as a world wide major sport

Compare for example ISAF with other wide world federations regarding main world wide sports with different types of series inside a main body: FIA or FIM for instance.

Regarding cars and FIA the attribution of the prize for the world's best sailor to a 470 sailor would be like to attribute that price in what regards car racing to a Kart driver instead to a formula 1 or to a WRC driver. It does not make any sense and it only means how poorly ISAF is organized to promote sail as a world wide sport.

If you talk about a world wide sport you have to define clearly levels of championships and define what are the top championships the ones were all the best sailors want to be involved in but very few (only the best) are chosen and have a place there. Obviously the best world sailor has to come from one of those championships and not from minor championships, even if they are world ones.

Regards

Paulo
daviid, EricKLYC and capt vimes like this.