Interesting Sailboats - Page 553 - SailNet Community
 1269Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #5521 of 6763 Old 12-23-2013 Thread Starter
PCP

Merry Christmas

Last post before Christmas to wish you all and your families a great time with the family on the celebration of these holy days that for me, more than a religious celebration are a family celebration. Family Christmas this year is in my house so I am going to be busy on the next days.

A great Christmas to all,

to the ones that post and the much more that follow this thread without participating.

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-23-2013 at 09:31 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PCP For This Useful Post:
EricKLYC (12-24-2013), Faster (12-24-2013), MrPelicano (12-24-2013), robelz (12-24-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5522 of 6763 Old 12-24-2013

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Cheminees Poujolat sunk last night on its way home from the TJV. Stamm and his Coskipper were rescued by a container ship heading to Rotterdam.
PCP likes this.
post #5523 of 6763 Old 12-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Cheminees Poujolat sunk last night on its way home from the TJV. Stamm and his Coskipper were rescued by a container ship heading to Rotterdam.
As disappointing as that boat has been, perhaps this will all work out for the best for Bernard Stamm. Very relieved to hear that the crew is safe. It is never a good thing when a boat sinks offshore (or anywhere else, for that matter).

We deal in lead, friend.
post #5524 of 6763 Old 12-24-2013

Sydney Hobart
13:1 money on BOTIN 80 BEAU GESTE

The new boat every Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race competitor aiming for line honours and overall glory has been waiting to see has arrived in town and sailing master Gavin Brady warns “We’ve arrived ready and probably more prepared than anyone else.”

Beau Geste, the 80 foot Botin design that everyone is talking about, was ordered by Hong Kong business identity, Karl Kwok, following the near-demise of his previous Beau Geste.

Brady and the Rolex Sydney Hobart race crew, minus Kwok, sailed the yacht from New Zealand into Sydney Harbour last evening after leaving Auckland on Tuesday. Brady was bemused when people questioned: “What took you so long?”

The Kiwi sailor, whose resume includes five America’s Cups, 10 Hobarts and Volvo Ocean Races and match racing titles, said: “We didn’t deliver the boat to Sydney for the race, we raced the 1400 nautical miles here – that’s two and a half Hobarts,” he said of the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia’s annual 628 nautical mile race.

“We are probably the most prepared yacht entered in the race.”

“We tested everything; our watch systems, sail changes, we put reefs in the main, shook them out, we did everything we would normally do racing a boat, down to getting the milk right in people’s tea.”

Brady also reminded us that he and owner/skipper Karl Kwok have sailed together so long: “We can read each other like a book, we have our communication down pat; things like our terminology. And with Steve Hayles in the nav station – the three of us, along with the rest of the crew, are ready,” he said.

“Quite frankly, we’re ready and we’re confident. We got half way here, and in the Tasman the wind died, then it picked up. So we did windward leewards. One minute we were pointing at New Caledonia, the next at Hobart. It was the perfect practice. It was open-ocean and no wind shifts. It doesn’t get any better than that.”

Brady said that owners should take advantage of racing from their home port to Sydney for the start, just as the Beau Geste crew has done, “because that’s the best preparation you can do for the race.”

Beau Geste arrived in Australia with no damage on her maiden voyage. “The worst that happened to us was hitting a sunfish 20 minutes into our voyage – hopefully it was the last one. We left it with a headache,” Brady said.

Asked what his hopes for the Rolex Sydney Hobart are, Brady said, “I hope when I look back after the race, standing at Constitution Dock in Hobart that I’ll be able to say, ‘We did the best preparation possible and it paid off.”

The Rolex Sydney Hobart, will be broadcast live on the Seven Network throughout Australia, the Australia Network throughout the Asia Pacific Region and webcast live to a global audience on Yahoo!7 from 12.30pm until 2.00pm on Boxing Day.
PCP likes this.

Last edited by Edward3; 12-24-2013 at 12:27 PM.
post #5525 of 6763 Old 12-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward3 View Post
Sydney Hobart
13:1 money on BOTIN 80 BEAU GESTE

The new boat every Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race competitor aiming for line honours and overall glory has been waiting to see has arrived in town and sailing master Gavin Brady warns “We’ve arrived ready and probably more prepared than anyone else.”

Beau Geste, the 80 foot Botin design that everyone is talking about, was ordered by Hong Kong business identity, Karl Kwok, following the near-demise of his previous Beau Geste.

Brady and the Rolex Sydney Hobart race crew, minus Kwok, sailed the yacht from New Zealand into Sydney Harbour last evening after leaving Auckland on Tuesday. Brady was bemused when people questioned: “What took you so long?”

The Kiwi sailor, whose resume includes five America’s Cups, 10 Hobarts and Volvo Ocean Races and match racing titles, said: “We didn’t deliver the boat to Sydney for the race, we raced the 1400 nautical miles here – that’s two and a half Hobarts,” he said of the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia’s annual 628 nautical mile race.

“We are probably the most prepared yacht entered in the race.”

“We tested everything; our watch systems, sail changes, we put reefs in the main, shook them out, we did everything we would normally do racing a boat, down to getting the milk right in people’s tea.”

Brady also reminded us that he and owner/skipper Karl Kwok have sailed together so long: “We can read each other like a book, we have our communication down pat; things like our terminology. And with Steve Hayles in the nav station – the three of us, along with the rest of the crew, are ready,” he said.

“Quite frankly, we’re ready and we’re confident. We got half way here, and in the Tasman the wind died, then it picked up. So we did windward leewards. One minute we were pointing at New Caledonia, the next at Hobart. It was the perfect practice. It was open-ocean and no wind shifts. It doesn’t get any better than that.”

Brady said that owners should take advantage of racing from their home port to Sydney for the start, just as the Beau Geste crew has done, “because that’s the best preparation you can do for the race.”

Beau Geste arrived in Australia with no damage on her maiden voyage. “The worst that happened to us was hitting a sunfish 20 minutes into our voyage – hopefully it was the last one. We left it with a headache,” Brady said.

Asked what his hopes for the Rolex Sydney Hobart are, Brady said, “I hope when I look back after the race, standing at Constitution Dock in Hobart that I’ll be able to say, ‘We did the best preparation possible and it paid off.”

The Rolex Sydney Hobart, will be broadcast live on the Seven Network throughout Australia, the Australia Network throughout the Asia Pacific Region and webcast live to a global audience on Yahoo!7 from 12.30pm until 2.00pm on Boxing Day.
Well, so we're getting 90 minutes of web coverage of the start. And presumably someone with a camera will be in Hobart for the finish. In between, what exactly are we going to get? Just the position tracker? Any video feeds? C'mon Rolex and race organizers! You can do better.

We deal in lead, friend.
post #5526 of 6763 Old 12-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
As disappointing as that boat has been...:
Has it? I mean it was never a dominator but always close to the lead... And Stamm to me doesn't seem to be one of the best sailors in the world...

Meanwhile Riechers gave his 6yo Farr designed Open 60 to VPLP and they redesigned the whole front and gave it much more volume: Barcelona World Race: Jörg Riechers über den Umbau des neuen 60ers ?Mare? | SegelReporter

Even if you don't understand German you will understand the pictures...
post #5527 of 6763 Old 12-25-2013

Quote:
Oh ****... Good to hear they are safe...
Untergang: Bernhard Stamm überlebt knapp ? ?Cheminées Poujoulat? verloren | SegelReporter

That must have been a heck of a storm and really awful waves...
I mean, those boats are build to withstand the nasiest stuff the southern ocean can throw at them and then the hull just breaks?

I won't comment on stamms abilities and only would say, that he had a lot of technical issues in the last vendee globes...
post #5528 of 6763 Old 12-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
Oh ****... Good to hear they are safe...
Untergang: Bernhard Stamm überlebt knapp ? ?Cheminées Poujoulat? verloren | SegelReporter

That must have been a heck of a storm and really awful waves...
I mean, those boats are build to withstand the nasiest stuff the southern ocean can throw at them and then the hull just breaks?

I won't comment on stamms abilities and only would say, that he had a lot of technical issues in the last vendee globes...
I'm not saying the Juan K design was the problem, but Stamm was unhappy with a number of things before the start of the last Vendée, though he did not always name specific things. I got the impression that there were build quality problems and that certain aspects of the design were not to his liking - probably with respect to cockpit layout, hardware choices, etc.

If the boat broke apart during a delivery (very fortunate this didn't happen during the race itself), one has to wonder about hull structural design and build quality. But we will wait for the formal report to learn more about what happened.

My sense of Stamm, as a skipper, is that he is able to push his boats very hard but sometimes doesn't seem to realize that slower can be better; there are times when you need to back off and preserve the boat rather than keep pushing. In the last Vendée, he and Jean Pierre Dick just missed catching the front that enabled Armel and François to break away from the pack, and then Stamm's boat continued to break, pretty much ending his race.

Dick, of course, was phenomenal, fighting all the way and then bringing his boat across the finish line without a keel. Chapeau to that!

I was watching some of the footage of the Macif / BanquePop match race in the Southern Ocean from 2012. Some have claimed that Gabart is a machine, lacking in emotion, but his emotion was prominently on display during those days when he and Le Cléac'h were going at it hammer-and-tongs all the way around Cape Horn and up the South Atlantic. At least I could feel his stress and anxiety and manic intensity coming across very powerfully. Even thinking about those scenes gives me shivers.

Really can't wait until the next one.

We deal in lead, friend.
post #5529 of 6763 Old 12-25-2013 Thread Starter
PCP

Rescue of Samm and Damien

Quote:
Well, consider this my Christmas gift to all

I read this fantastic story about the rescue told by Stamm himself and felt that it was really a pity to be only accessible to the ones that can read French, since the automatic translation was really bad. So, there it is for all what I hope is a decent translation:

Bernard Stamm and Damien Guillou were recovered by a Norwegian freighter on Monday around 7:30 am, 180 Miles off Brest when they brought back Cheminées Poujoulat fromAzores to France. Both men saw the IMOCA monohull break into two , then slowly sinking and they owe their survival to the effectiveness of crew of the freighter Star Isfjord.

Naufrage du 60 IMOCA Cheminées Poujoulat - Bernard Stamm : « Le bateau s?est cassé en deux? » - Annonce bateaux - Annonces bateaux - Occasion Bateaux - Occasion Voiliers - Occasion voiles

“Damien and I, we were 200 miles from the tip of Cornwall and 180 nautical Brest . We were a little ahead of the front , sailing downwind. There were between 43 and 45 knots but it was manageable. We were prepared for this gale . We were under storm jib , with four reefs in the mainsail. Clearly, we really had the handbrake on, but in a wave, the boat broke in two, just near the movable foils.

The mast did not fall immediately. We quickly closed all boat bulkheads and them the mast fell to the transom. We asked very quickly for help and organized the survival conditions aboard.

We prepare things on the eventuality of having to leave the boat. The sea was huge so we tried to assess the risk of the boat degradation to the point of being better to abandon it. We tried to take away the mast but we did not succeed. It was really too dangerous to try to do that. However, we managed to make it fall a bit more in the water and that stop it from beating viciously against the hull. We went inside and grabbed our survival equipment. Clearly, we were not sure how long the boat would float.

A French Navy falcon 50 from the Hyères base arrived on the area around 23:30, after refueling in Bordeaux. They coordinated the rescue before being relayed by a maritime patrol aircraft around 6am Monday.

Meanwhile, a rescue by a helicopter, a British Sea King rescue type, was attempted. They had asked us to leave the boat on the liferaft, the only way a diver could pick us up. That's what we did but Damien and I have never managed to get away from the boat. It was very dangerous since the life raft was being throw violently by the waves against the broken bow. Finally, we had to re-board Cheminées Poujoulat leaving on the raft almost all of our water, survival bag , telephone , rockets ... In short, at this point , we have lost a lot of our survival equipment.

Rescuers told us dive and to swim out of the boat for the diver to try to pick us up directly in the water. Unfortunately, that did not work either and was a very bad idea because I had a lot of trouble to get back to the boat again. I was quite shocked with all this situation.

After that we no longer had access to the sail locker where was stored our second life-raft and therefore five were dropped from the plane, but all have fallen too far away from us.

Then the cargo arrived and maneuvered to get alongside us. A rope was thrown at us but we missed it and the operation almost got us crushed against the cargo and in meantime Cheminées Poujoulat continued to sink . The crew threw us a new rope while we were along the cargo and this time, we, standing on the back of the sinking boat were able to catch it and block the remains of our boat against the cargo. The crew then descended a rope but we were banged violently against the hull and could not hold the rope and fall on the water.

With Damien things went better and he did not went far away but I have done 80 meters in the water, sometimes drinking a lot of it until I succeed in grabbing the net they had deployed. Damien swam next to the cargo and they throw him a ring buoy in which he could get in an only then he was able to catch the net and get out of trouble.

It was really super hot because there was a lot of sea and Cheminées Poujoulat , at that time , was almost entirely under water . There was only one small part of the transom sticking to the surface and the bow that was hanging from the shrouds . For ne this was a really hard thing to look.

The Filipino crew of the freighter MV Star Isfjord showed an incredible seamanship on the rescue. The Cargo is now bound to the Netherlands, where we should arrive Wednesday evening .

I want to thank to all the men who participated in this major operation . Thank you from my heart . "

Regards

Paulo
Jaramaz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-25-2013 at 01:40 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PCP For This Useful Post:
34crealock (12-31-2013), Faster (12-26-2013)
post #5530 of 6763 Old 12-25-2013

Wow- makes you think.
I have only one raft.
Don't know if my crew and I have the level of fitness to do what they did.
Would my boat stay afloat that long after breaking up?

But on the other hand like to think its unlikely we would find ourselves in similar circumstances and believe its unlikely our boat would break up.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.