Not a Member? 

Like Tree1265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Bora

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
That video with a Bora was not on the day the race took place. On the race it was windy but not that much. They say:

Boat tranfer from Portorož to Vodice for Jabuka Race 2013. Heavy weather conditions: strong "bora" wind reaching strength of 50 kts. In Croatia, cyclone was called Teodor and reached maximum of 90 kts in Kvarner Gulf.

Regards

Paulo
Windspeed of 50+ knots is a good reason to be under bare poles, if you're doing a delivery. No argument from me.

But I take it the second video is from the Jabuka Race itself? But not the same boat I believe (doesn't look like a Dufour 34 - an older boat perhaps?). Here we see them go with the storm trysail and what looks like a #4 headsail. Some accounts I read had the windspeed as high as 30 knots, during parts of the race. But that seems to me to call for a double reefed mainsail and #4 headsail, although admittedly they were sailing without a full crew.

From the several videos I've seen, I think the key to doing well in this race was having the correct sail combinations available to suit the changing conditions. In this video, when the boats were 2-sail reaching, I suspect the Seascapes and the Akilaria were able to go with a Code 0 or reaching gennaker and staysail, not simply a #2 or #3 jib. That makes a huge difference, particularly if you've got a really stiff boat.

Also suspect that many of the boats are charters - e.g., the Elan 350 class - or casual racers, not really hardcore. Some of the top finishers had Cat 3 professionals on board (the overall winner "Ola" had an IMS European Champion tactician aboard, for example). I guess what I'm saying is that it just doesn't look like the boats in these videos are being sailed hard - except the top 2 Seascapes.

Which makes you wonder: Is the owner of a First 45 feeling good about himself when he has just been crushed by a €100K 27-foot, swing keel trailer sailor? Hey, being spanked by an Akilaria RC2 not a problem - similar price point and it's a high-powered race boat. Perhaps that First 45 owner is happy because everyone on aboard was comfortable and got a hot shower, comfy berth, and microwave popcorn on watch. The Seascape guys got some candy bars and maybe hot coffee.
Old 12-23-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Jabuka regatta

Yes you are right. I have posted the movies because they are nice but this is a 3rd rate race.

That's why I didn't bother to see the boat relative times. It only makes sense on top races were you know that there are many well sailed boats. Here, on this type of Croatia races, many guys just charter boats to race and have fun, they are just a bunch of friends not a properly trained crew and they don't know that particular boat, even if they have sailed one similar.

It seems to me that it is blowing more than 30K by the First 45 sail configuration. Maybe 35/40K?

Next one where it will make sense to look at comparative performances is the Sydney Hobart where for several years the First 40 have proved consistently faster than the class40. Lots of upwind sailing in big seas are just not the ideal playground for a class40, but it is perfect for a relatively heavy and narrower boat like the First.

Last year the winner on compensated and by far the best of the production smaller boats was a Sydney 43 that made a hell of the race. I like a lot that boat and I am very curious about the 37ft. I believe that if the Sydney 43 sell in Europe and I believe it will sell, they produce the 37.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2013

Re: Jabuka regatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Yes you are right. I have posted the movies because they are nice but this is a 3rd rate race.

That's why I didn't bother to see the boat relative times. It only makes sense on top races were you know that there are many well sailed boats. Here, on this type of Croatia races, many guys just charter boats to race and have fun, they are just a bunch of friends not a properly trained crew and they don't know that particular boat, even if they have sailed one similar.

It seems to me that it is blowing more than 30K by the First 45 sail configuration. Maybe 35/40K?

Next one where it will make sense to look at comparative performances is the Sydney Hobart where for several years the First 40 have proved consistently faster than the class40. Lots of upwind sailing in big seas are just not the ideal playground for a class40, but it is perfect for a relatively heavy and narrower boat like the First.

Last year the winner on compensated and by far the best of the production smaller boats was a Sydney 43 that made a hell of the race. I like a lot that boat and I am very curious about the 37ft. I believe that if the Sydney 43 sell in Europe and I believe it will sell, they produce the 37.

Regards

Paulo
Thanks for confirming what I suspected about the Jabuka Race. It was pretty obvious from the videos but you can't always tell.

As for the Sydney 43, it is an amazing looking boat, as I've come to expect from Jason Ker, and obviously a potent offshore weapon in the right hands. The Sydney-Hobart should be interesting this year, particularly for line honors. Obviously Wild Oats will be a favorite, but depending on the conditions the VO70 "Black Jack" could very well be a spoiler, as could the new Carkeek Mini-Maxi "Ichi Ban". "Black Jack" was only 5m 49s behind "Wild Oats" and 3m 25s behind "Perpetual Loyal" in the SOLAS Big Boat raace a couple weekends ago, so it's not out of the realm of possibility to take line honors.

Wish there was better video coverage of the Sydney-Hobart, along the lines of the Fastnet Race. Seems like it would be relatively easy to do, considering a good deal of the race is near offshore, within easy reach of planes and helicopters. Oh well... it's only yacht racing, after all, not something deserving of media coverage, like golf or beach volleyball.
Old 12-23-2013

2013 SOLAS Big Boat Challenge

and since we are talking about the Sydney-Hobart have a look at the "warm up" the 2013 SOLAS Big Boat Challenge:

SOLAS Big Boat Challenge 2013 from Greg Wilkins on Vimeo.

Lots of interesting boats this year, the "old" Vor 70 Grupama now renamed "Giacomo", Telefonica Vor70 now renamed Black Jack a new Ichi Ban, a brand new Carkeek 60 and the old Rambler now renamed "LOYAL". I believe that if someone is able to beat Wild Oats it will be this one. I don't believe Wild Thing can do it. And among the fast boat we will have the little Varuna a Ker 51 and the not so little Beau Geste a Botin 80fter.

At this first confrontation wild oats won but not for much:

1-WILD OATS XI .......01:10 :10
2-PERPETUAL LOYAL...01:12:34
3-BLACK JACK............01:15:59
4-WILD THING...........01:17:29
5-GIACOMO ..............01:23:54
6-ICHI BAN...............01:26:05

The first 6 were really close. It seems that this year the Hobart is going to be very interesting!!!!!

Among the small boats several A40 and several First 40. I bet that on the particular conditions of the Hobarth the best First will beat the best A40. A pity that the guys that used to race with a 40class racer will not be there this year, as well as none other. I guess they know this is not the type of race that suits them

The Yachts - Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2013

Two days for the start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-23-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2013

Merry Christmas

Last post before Christmas to wish you all and your families a great time with the family on the celebration of these holy days that for me, more than a religious celebration are a family celebration. Family Christmas this year is in my house so I am going to be busy on the next days.

A great Christmas to all,

to the ones that post and the much more that follow this thread without participating.

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-23-2013 at 09:31 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PCP For This Useful Post:
EricKLYC (12-24-2013), Faster (12-24-2013), MrPelicano (12-24-2013), robelz (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Cheminees Poujolat sunk last night on its way home from the TJV. Stamm and his Coskipper were rescued by a container ship heading to Rotterdam.
PCP likes this.
Old 12-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Cheminees Poujolat sunk last night on its way home from the TJV. Stamm and his Coskipper were rescued by a container ship heading to Rotterdam.
As disappointing as that boat has been, perhaps this will all work out for the best for Bernard Stamm. Very relieved to hear that the crew is safe. It is never a good thing when a boat sinks offshore (or anywhere else, for that matter).
Old 12-24-2013

Edward3 is on a distinguished road

Sydney Hobart
13:1 money on BOTIN 80 BEAU GESTE

The new boat every Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race competitor aiming for line honours and overall glory has been waiting to see has arrived in town and sailing master Gavin Brady warns “We’ve arrived ready and probably more prepared than anyone else.”

Beau Geste, the 80 foot Botin design that everyone is talking about, was ordered by Hong Kong business identity, Karl Kwok, following the near-demise of his previous Beau Geste.

Brady and the Rolex Sydney Hobart race crew, minus Kwok, sailed the yacht from New Zealand into Sydney Harbour last evening after leaving Auckland on Tuesday. Brady was bemused when people questioned: “What took you so long?”

The Kiwi sailor, whose resume includes five America’s Cups, 10 Hobarts and Volvo Ocean Races and match racing titles, said: “We didn’t deliver the boat to Sydney for the race, we raced the 1400 nautical miles here – that’s two and a half Hobarts,” he said of the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia’s annual 628 nautical mile race.

“We are probably the most prepared yacht entered in the race.”

“We tested everything; our watch systems, sail changes, we put reefs in the main, shook them out, we did everything we would normally do racing a boat, down to getting the milk right in people’s tea.”

Brady also reminded us that he and owner/skipper Karl Kwok have sailed together so long: “We can read each other like a book, we have our communication down pat; things like our terminology. And with Steve Hayles in the nav station – the three of us, along with the rest of the crew, are ready,” he said.

“Quite frankly, we’re ready and we’re confident. We got half way here, and in the Tasman the wind died, then it picked up. So we did windward leewards. One minute we were pointing at New Caledonia, the next at Hobart. It was the perfect practice. It was open-ocean and no wind shifts. It doesn’t get any better than that.”

Brady said that owners should take advantage of racing from their home port to Sydney for the start, just as the Beau Geste crew has done, “because that’s the best preparation you can do for the race.”

Beau Geste arrived in Australia with no damage on her maiden voyage. “The worst that happened to us was hitting a sunfish 20 minutes into our voyage – hopefully it was the last one. We left it with a headache,” Brady said.

Asked what his hopes for the Rolex Sydney Hobart are, Brady said, “I hope when I look back after the race, standing at Constitution Dock in Hobart that I’ll be able to say, ‘We did the best preparation possible and it paid off.”

The Rolex Sydney Hobart, will be broadcast live on the Seven Network throughout Australia, the Australia Network throughout the Asia Pacific Region and webcast live to a global audience on Yahoo!7 from 12.30pm until 2.00pm on Boxing Day.
PCP likes this.

Last edited by Edward3; 12-24-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward3 View Post
Sydney Hobart
13:1 money on BOTIN 80 BEAU GESTE

The new boat every Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race competitor aiming for line honours and overall glory has been waiting to see has arrived in town and sailing master Gavin Brady warns “We’ve arrived ready and probably more prepared than anyone else.”

Beau Geste, the 80 foot Botin design that everyone is talking about, was ordered by Hong Kong business identity, Karl Kwok, following the near-demise of his previous Beau Geste.

Brady and the Rolex Sydney Hobart race crew, minus Kwok, sailed the yacht from New Zealand into Sydney Harbour last evening after leaving Auckland on Tuesday. Brady was bemused when people questioned: “What took you so long?”

The Kiwi sailor, whose resume includes five America’s Cups, 10 Hobarts and Volvo Ocean Races and match racing titles, said: “We didn’t deliver the boat to Sydney for the race, we raced the 1400 nautical miles here – that’s two and a half Hobarts,” he said of the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia’s annual 628 nautical mile race.

“We are probably the most prepared yacht entered in the race.”

“We tested everything; our watch systems, sail changes, we put reefs in the main, shook them out, we did everything we would normally do racing a boat, down to getting the milk right in people’s tea.”

Brady also reminded us that he and owner/skipper Karl Kwok have sailed together so long: “We can read each other like a book, we have our communication down pat; things like our terminology. And with Steve Hayles in the nav station – the three of us, along with the rest of the crew, are ready,” he said.

“Quite frankly, we’re ready and we’re confident. We got half way here, and in the Tasman the wind died, then it picked up. So we did windward leewards. One minute we were pointing at New Caledonia, the next at Hobart. It was the perfect practice. It was open-ocean and no wind shifts. It doesn’t get any better than that.”

Brady said that owners should take advantage of racing from their home port to Sydney for the start, just as the Beau Geste crew has done, “because that’s the best preparation you can do for the race.”

Beau Geste arrived in Australia with no damage on her maiden voyage. “The worst that happened to us was hitting a sunfish 20 minutes into our voyage – hopefully it was the last one. We left it with a headache,” Brady said.

Asked what his hopes for the Rolex Sydney Hobart are, Brady said, “I hope when I look back after the race, standing at Constitution Dock in Hobart that I’ll be able to say, ‘We did the best preparation possible and it paid off.”

The Rolex Sydney Hobart, will be broadcast live on the Seven Network throughout Australia, the Australia Network throughout the Asia Pacific Region and webcast live to a global audience on Yahoo!7 from 12.30pm until 2.00pm on Boxing Day.
Well, so we're getting 90 minutes of web coverage of the start. And presumably someone with a camera will be in Hobart for the finish. In between, what exactly are we going to get? Just the position tracker? Any video feeds? C'mon Rolex and race organizers! You can do better.
Old 12-25-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
As disappointing as that boat has been...:
Has it? I mean it was never a dominator but always close to the lead... And Stamm to me doesn't seem to be one of the best sailors in the world...

Meanwhile Riechers gave his 6yo Farr designed Open 60 to VPLP and they redesigned the whole front and gave it much more volume: Barcelona World Race: Jörg Riechers über den Umbau des neuen 60ers ?Mare? | SegelReporter

Even if you don't understand German you will understand the pictures...