Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1226Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward3 View Post
S2H
Loyal and Oats even entering Bass Strait
Running in light breeze favors the narrow Oats
BIG breeze coming entering Hobart
Well, despite our speculation, it's turning out to be a battle of the 100 footers after all, with WO, Loyal and Ragamuffin opening up a pretty substantial lead over the VO70s, Beau Geste, Wild Thing, Ichi Ban, et al.

Don't think the big breeze will arrive soon enough to allow Giacomo and Black Jack to catch up, but it could be enough to allow Loyal to squeeze by WO in the home stretch, unless it's on the nose and an upwind slog-fest. And once they're in the Derwent and it goes light, WO will have the advantage.

Veloce (Elliott 44CR) is having a great race so far and certainly made some improvements somewhere since last year, when they finished 36th overall. But I wouldn't count out Midnight Rambler (Ker 40) yet. Not only have they won the overall before, they may have the most experienced crew in the race. This is where the excitement is, IMHO, not so much in the line honours battle.

Hope nobody gets in trouble when the approaching low pressure system arrives.
Old 12-27-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Sydney-Hobart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward3 View Post
S2H
Loyal and Oats even entering Bass Strait
Running in light breeze favors the narrow Oats
BIG breeze coming entering Hobart
Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
WOXI leads the pack now, 5nm ahead of PL. I was so curious on the performance of the Sydney GTS43 but there is not a single one racing...

Pelicano was saying this is mostly an amateur race. I have to agree that even if many on this race are professionals the more important part are amateurs and that is just a pity. I am refereeing to the ones that organize the race (and also many skippers) that make this one continue to be club racing instead of a major international event. How do they expect to promote the race if they take all the fun if they present a tracker that is way worse than the one they utilize on the ARC

Don't take me wrong, this is a great race but I am really pissed with an amateurish organization (that keep away multihull, as if they did not exist or were not sailboats) that prevents this one to turn in a big international race reuniting all major racing boats and not only the local ones

As example of that amateurish outlook you have only to look at the tracker that does not have the weather prevision, does not show the the speed of each boat and it is impossible to play back to understand the conditions and strategies that lead to the position the boats occupy now. It is no fun to follow a race this way.

For what I can tell and as Edward says, they have been sailing in unusually light winds and that is one of the few situations were Wild Oats has an advantage over Loyal and that has showed on the race results with the narrow boats coming forward, including Wild Oats that is leading.

Edwards says that stronger winds will appear and I take as good his words but the tracker makes impossible to know that and even on the news from the race they don't say much...it is all very vague as if they didn't have any certitude about the strength of the wind and the hour it will show up:

"A frustrated Anthony Bell, skipper of Perpetual LOYAL summed it up dryly: “We’re just bobbing around here. We have four knots across the deck. I’ve seen it windier in my two-year-old daughter’s indoor swimming lessons.”
What Perpetual LOYAL needs, Bell says, is 12 to 14 knots of wind to come into her own, but he has little expectation of more wind until late tomorrow.

“It’ll be pretty light until midday. Maybe we’ll get something tomorrow, at the back end of the day.”

The Bureau of Meteorology is a little more optimistic, predicting the leading seven should have favorable winds tomorrow morning. The Bureau expects strengthening north-easterlies will push them down the Tasmanian north-east coast, and a possible race finish tomorrow evening.

The Bureau is also forecasting a weather change late tomorrow evening in Bass Strait and off the Tasmanian south-east coast. It is forecasting west to south-westerly winds of 30 to 40 knots. So in contrast to the frontrunners today, on Saturday night and throughout Sunday the smaller boats will have a traditional Rolex Sydney Hobart slog across Bass Strait.

Bell dearly wishes it were the other way round.
He is hoping that the front will come sooner than forecast, before the frontrunners reach Tasman Island."

Tracker - Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2013

Robelz, yes, it is pretty astounding that the winner of the last race in compensated, the Sydney 43, is not defending its title. I don't have a clue why.

Among the smaller boats special notice and by this order on the classification, to a Rodgers 46 (Celestial), an Elliot 44cr (Veloce) a Ker 46 (Patrice) and then to the first 40fter, a racing Ker 40 (Midnight Rambler).

Some distance back another 40fter, a Caprice 40 (Chutzpah) then a Humphrerys 42 (Zanzibar), a DK 43 (Minerva) and then the First mass production boat, a First 45 Shinning sea) followed by two another oner First 45 (Senna and Ballance).

To give you an idea of the performance of these boats, the ones above and immediately below, let me say they are running, some ahead some on the middle of Clipper 70 fleet.

Then a lot of smaller boats racing among the big ones: A sydney 38, a King 40, a MBD 41, a Salona 44, a Bakewell-White 39, a First 40, a A40, another Sydney 38 and another First 40.

I wonder why among all those exotic, practically all one off, very fast Australian boats there is not a single Sydney 37GTS or Sydney 43GTS, the only ones that today are produced? Certainly it is not because they are not competitive since the Sydney 43 won the last race. They have money to spend on huge boats but not money to buy their own production fast boats boats that can win on compensated??? This one I really don't understand.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-27-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2013

robelz is on a distinguished road

Sydney GTs37? Is one built yet?
Old 12-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Sydney GTs37? Is one built yet?
That's the point: No But the only thing it is needed is an order

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-27-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-27-2013

Re: Sydney-Hobart

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Pelicano was saying this is mostly an amateur race. I have to agree that even if many on this race are professionals the more important part are amateurs and that is just a pity. I am refereeing to the ones that organize the race (and also many skippers) that make this one continue to be club racing instead of a major international event. How do they expect to promote the race if they take all the fun if they present a tracker that is way worse than the one they utilize on the ARC

Don't take me wrong, this is a great race but I am really pissed with an amateurish organization (that keep away multihull, as if they did not exist or were not sailboats) that prevents this one to turn in a big international race reuniting all major racing boats and not only the local ones

As example of that amateurish outlook you have only to look at the tracker that does not have the weather prevision, does not show the the speed of each boat and it is impossible to play back to understand the conditions and strategies that lead to the position the boats occupy now. It is no fun to follow a race this way.

For what I can tell and as Edward says, they have been sailing in unusually light winds and that is one of the few situations were Wild Oats has an advantage over Loyal and that has showed on the race results with the narrow boats coming forward, including Wild Oats that is leading.

Edwards says that stronger winds will appear and I take as good his words but the tracker makes impossible to know that and even on the news from the race they don't say much...it is all very vague as if they didn't have any certitude about the strength of the wind and the hour it will show up:

"A frustrated Anthony Bell, skipper of Perpetual LOYAL summed it up dryly: “We’re just bobbing around here. We have four knots across the deck. I’ve seen it windier in my two-year-old daughter’s indoor swimming lessons.”
What Perpetual LOYAL needs, Bell says, is 12 to 14 knots of wind to come into her own, but he has little expectation of more wind until late tomorrow.

“It’ll be pretty light until midday. Maybe we’ll get something tomorrow, at the back end of the day.”

The Bureau of Meteorology is a little more optimistic, predicting the leading seven should have favorable winds tomorrow morning. The Bureau expects strengthening north-easterlies will push them down the Tasmanian north-east coast, and a possible race finish tomorrow evening.

The Bureau is also forecasting a weather change late tomorrow evening in Bass Strait and off the Tasmanian south-east coast. It is forecasting west to south-westerly winds of 30 to 40 knots. So in contrast to the frontrunners today, on Saturday night and throughout Sunday the smaller boats will have a traditional Rolex Sydney Hobart slog across Bass Strait.

Bell dearly wishes it were the other way round.
He is hoping that the front will come sooner than forecast, before the frontrunners reach Tasman Island."

Tracker - Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2013

Robelz, yes, it is pretty astounding that the winner of the last race in compensated, the Sydney 43, is not defending its title. I don't have a clue why.

Among the smaller boats special notice and by this order on the classification, to a Rodgers 46 (Celestial), an Elliot 44cr (Veloce) a Ker 46 (Patrice) and then to the first 40fter, a racing Ker 40 (Midnight Rambler).

Some distance back another 40fter, a Caprice 40 (Chutzpah) then a Humphrerys 42 (Zanzibar), a DK 43 (Minerva) and then the First mass production boat, a First 45 Shinning sea) followed by two another oner First 45 (Senna and Ballance).

To give you an idea of the performance of these boats, the ones above and immediately below, let me say they are running, some ahead some on the middle of Clipper 70 fleet.

Then a lot of smaller boats racing among the big ones: A sydney 38, a King 40, a MBD 41, a Salona 44, a Bakewell-White 39, a First 40, a A40, another Sydney 38 and another First 40.

I wonder why among all those exotic, practically all one off, very fast Australian boats there is not a single Sydney 37GTS or Sydney 43GTS, the only ones that today are produced? Certainly it is not because they are not competitive since the Sydney 43 won the last race. They have money to spend on huge boats but not money to buy their own production fast boats boats that can win on compensated??? This one I really don't understand.

Regards

Paulo
There was a time, in the history of this race, when boats did come from all over the world to compete. This was in the days when more than 200 boats woud enter. But I think after the 1998 race things have been going downhill. The entry requirements were made stricter, for safety reasons, and restrictions placed on crew (only those with a certain amount of offshore experience and specific training were allowed).

Of course, these were probably all good things to do, but add to that a generally poor global economy, the distance it takes to get yachts to Australia from Europe and North America (even if it is winter in the northern hemisphere), limited relevant sponsorship, minimal media attention (even in Australia!), and the generally amateurish race organization, and it's not surprising that this race isn't the big deal it should be - e.g., the Fastnet of the southern hemisphere.

Let me quickly add that the Sydney Hobart isn't alone in this respect. Another classic race that ought to be much bigger and more prestigious is the bi-annual TransPac Race, from Los Angeles, California to Honolulu, Hawaii. This race (which I did in 1997) has a long tradition of poor management, lack of interest in building media attention, and even greater lack of interest in buidling participation. It says a lot about this race that it's most important contribution to the sport has been the development of the TP52 class, arguably the premier professional racing class in the world today. And yet, it's a class that never paid much attention to the race after which it was named, hence the official class name "change" from Transpac 52 to TP52, and certainly never made any impact on the race (I'm a huge TP52 fan, by the way, particularly with the IRC modifications).

Sometimes I suppose that tradition plays a big part in keeping races like these from becoming more than they are. The people who have the biggest stake don't want to lose control or get displaced by professional race management and marketing people.

All the same, if I had the opportunity to do the Sydney-Hobart Race I would do so without hesitation. Same for the Fastnet or the Mini Transat. However, I will take a pass on the Vendée and the VOR. That's way out of my league.
PCP likes this.
Old 12-27-2013

Carlo borlenghi

Since we have not decent images of the Sydney-Hobart lets look at some really beautiful ones. There are many ways of loving sailing, some sail, some design boats, some paint and some take photos and among these Carlo Borlenghi is one of the best and beauty comes out of his work.

Am interview in Italian. Be patient, just put the movie in the best definition, wait for the photos to show up and stop the image: If you like boats and sailing, you will love Carlo's work:

The Following User Says Thank You to PCP For This Useful Post:
aeventyr60 (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013

Re: Carlo borlenghi

Quote:
Since we have not decent images of the Sydney-Hobart lets look at some really beautiful ones. There are many ways of loving sailing, some sail, some design boats, some paint and some take photos and among these Carlo Borlenghi is one of the best and beauty comes out of his work.

Am interview in Italian. Be patient, just put the movie in the best definition, wait for the photos to show up and stop the image: If you like boats and sailing, you will love Carlo's work:
Wow.

Tell me he doesn't live on Lake Garda.

Lovely house, incredible art work on the walls, beautiful wife, and amazing photographs.

Did I miss anything?

Liked how they put the interviewer to work in the kitchen, stirring the pot. Thanks very much for sharing, Paulo.
Old 12-27-2013

Re: The first Whitbread Round the World 1973/4

Quote:
Sure, it was a long time ago and the video is available on the NET but those videos had a very low quality and were a pain to watch. Not anymore. This one was remastered on HD.

This is the race that was largely dominated by Great Britain II and Chay Blyth that won three of the four legs in real time, losing overboard a crew member on the process.

Two other man were lost on other boats overboard. Is good to remember that when he talk about the danger of racing on modern VOR (that go at more than two times the speed of these old shoes) like if it was more dangerous now than then.

Eric Tabarly also entered this one but with bad luck chasing him: He broke the mast twice in two different legs, won another one and beat the world's sailing 24 hour absolute record.

The race now in HD:
Those were certainly different times from today, even though not really so long ago. Perhaps one of the last times you had beer and cigarettes as staple provisions.

Not to take away from how difficult it is to race the current generation of high performance VOR boats around the world, but I think everyone would agree that the men and women who competed in those early Whitbread races were made of tough stuff. And for the last couple of VORs the fleet hasn't spent much time in the Southern Ocean, while the mandatory ice gates have reduced the risk of growlers. Even in those days, however, it was crazy to go down to 60S and demonstrates, to me, a shocking lack of good judgement in putting the crews at such risk (not to mention that nobody wore tethers or PFDs in those days).

Anyway, thanks very much for posting this wonderful bit of history for us. Watching it made me want to go ocean racing right away.
Old 12-27-2013

Sydney-Hobart

Well, the wind come to the race, but too late for Loyal. The two leading boats are almost doing 20K. Right now Wild Oats have more wind but soon Loyal will be the fastest boat, but not in time to recover the 38nm that separates him from the leader.

For the victory in Handicap things are not decided yet: The leading boat is a slow one, an old Farr 43 (wild Rose) that is only in 60th overall. I hope that Brannew, a First 40 CR that is making a well of race can beat it in compensated since in real time it is 21 places ahead I hate one slow boats won in handicap.

Last edited by PCP; 12-27-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2013

Re: Sydney-Hobart

Quote:
Well, the wind come to the race, but too late for Loyal. The two leading boats are almost doing 20K. Right now Wild Oats have more wind but soon Loyal will be the fastest boat, but not in time to recover the 38nm that separates him from the leader.

For the victory in Handicap things are not decided yet: The leading boat is a slow one, an old Farr 43 (wild Rose) that is only in 60th overall. I hope that Brannew, a First 40 CR that is making a well of race can beat it in compensated since in real time it is 21 places ahead I hate one slow boats won in handicap.
Nice little battle going on between the two VOR70s, with Black Jack leading Giacomo by .5 mile, and Beau Geste a few miles back of them.

Meanwhile, looks like the wheels fell off for Midnight Rambler, who were challenging with Veloce for the IRC lead not too long ago but have now disappeared down the standings. Wonder if they had some sail or gear failure.

Right now, the RP40 Chutzpah is leading Veloce by under an hour on corrected time, so this one looks like it will be a nail biter for sure. The skipper of Chutzpah has 31 Sydney Hobart races under his belt, and (so I learned this morning) sold his Hick 35 to the skipper who won the 1998 race.
PCP likes this.