Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

I like the scarecrow, in this case scareseagull. A bit too ugly, but I bet, very effective.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2014

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: For the night, two great movies: solo racing transat movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
2013, not winners, two different races, two different boats (Mini racer and Figaro class), two different stories: Hardy made 6th, Lipinski was rescued by a cargo ship.
If I understood the narrator correctly, it was Hardy who organized the recovery of Lipinski's boat and towed it to Cascais. That's really outstanding and says everything one needs to say about the quality of the singlehanded sailing community. Rescue was well-executed by the Polish bulk carrier as well, though pity Lipinski had to stay aboard all the way to Sfaz, Tunisia.

Sad he couldn't complete the MT but terrific he got his boat back.

Thanks for sharing, Paulo.
Old 01-04-2014

robelz is on a distinguished road
Re: Maxi 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
Totally agree. The second boat would be the one I'd choose without hesitation. But apparently the marketing department didn't think they could sell enough of those to make it worthwhile, so they opted for the "safe" choice - build another performance cruiser that's pretty much like everyone else's performance cruiser, except for the interior choices - 3 cabins, central heads, trade-off between decent offshore galley vs. chart table, etc. Maybe the charter market somewhere will appreciate this, but not me.
That is the point: The eleven was unique and completely amazing, the 1200 is just another performance cruiser...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
No, this is not a charter boat in fact it is a very fast performance cruiser (probably a expensive one, if he took Maxi prices as reference) with some oddities in what regards design and one of the more strange, for a performance boat that will certainly be also used for racing, is the absence of traveller

This boat will be a very fast one, a competitor with Xp yachts, Dehler, Salona, First, Arcona, Comet and Grand Soleil... and does not have a traveller?

I cannot see also a backstay adjuster but that can be skipped on the design at this phase, but not the traveler. Besides not having a traveler, the position of the winch regarding the main seems only work like that, I mean the line coming from the top of the cockpit table???? That means that table is not removable!!!!.....and that is just odd in what regards racing and even in what regards the use of the cockpit in a social way is just bad design comparing with all the others that have cockpit tables that "disappear" under the cockpit floor.

They have just been rescued from bankruptcy by Dehpia but I don't believe they will go far this way.
I cannot imagine that Delphia/Maxi will not offer an option with a traveller. I read somewhere that the Maxi prices built by Delphia are about 20-25% less than the Najad/Maxi's...
Old 01-04-2014

Re: Maxi 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post

I cannot imagine that Delphia/Maxi will not offer an option with a traveller. I read somewhere that the Maxi prices built by Delphia are about 20-25% less than the Najad/Maxi's...
I guess so but what troubles me is how that is going to work with a central winch on that position, It could not be direct so I would have to be a German sheeting system and if so it would imply horizontal lines crossing the cockpit creating an obstacle to a racing crew.

Unless they modify a lot a boat in what regards rigging, including the number and position of winches I cannot see how it will be done and modifying the position on winches is a lot more complicated than adding a traveler.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-04-2014

A lovely wooden boat: Rosso 28

For the look we would say: Italian design and yes, we would be right, it is an Italian one (Paolo Bua) but it is not only the look that is interesting, the building and the performances too.

The boat is made in France on a traditional small shipyard using mahogany / glass / epoxy strip planking all that to make a light boat that weights 1550 kg being almost half of it on a long hydraulic swing keel (1.95m). A carbon rig and lots of sail make this a very fun boat, a beautiful day sailor full of character that would be also good racing.

The boat was been making quite a steer in France being tested by sail magazines with testers loving the boat. Well, I love it too

Rosso 28 : la classe à l'italienne por voilesetvoiliers

You can see more information and lots of photos here:

Boatyard "Chantier des Ileaux" - Noirmoutier, France - Modern wooden boat building / Rosso 28

ESSAI VOILES & VOILIERS ? ROSSO 28 | Olivier BLANCHET
Faster likes this.

Old 01-04-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

LOVE those building sequence photos!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-04-2014

hannah2 is on a distinguished road

Hi Paulo and all,

We made it to Martinique a couple days ago. 18 days from Tenerife in the Canaries. First 6 days 30 to 40 kts nothing below 30 just a couple of hours above forty mostly 35 to 40. Seas 4 meter swell from NW and wind swell from NE at 4 meters also. The Boreal 44 was wonderful, very sea kindly easy for just Tracy and I to manage. Those first 6 days we got pooped twice once over the cabin and once in the side of cockpit but nothing special. Breaking waves were often and we handled them great a bit of slide then powered off and down the line. Very nice as I know on our old Mason 44 we would have taken much longer to recover. Those first 6 days we averaged 185 NM a day and did not push it, I think with a crew we could have done a bit over 200 NM a day. The rest of the trip was so easy and enjoyable as we rum lined towards Martinique with genoa out on pole and stay sail out to other side wing on wing and main put away. Rest of trip 20 to 25 kts and nice following seas. We used the wind pilot much more than the NKE even dead down wind as long as we put both dagger boards down the wind pilot sailed between 174 and 174 off the wind. we enjoyed just going between 5.8 and 6.5 kts except surfing down some waves at 11 kts. We just just sat back and enjoyed our passage.

We have changed our plans for the S. Pacific and will bring the boat to the east coast of the states for a summer season and re outfit boat with better gear. As well as the Boreal is built they did not do a good job out fitting boat. It is our fault for not paying attention to how it was outfit. Too much cheap Lewmar blocks and gear that failed I hate china made! The boom was attached with rivets instead of machine threads and bolts as was the vang. With rivets everything holds fine until sails start to flog a bit and they start popping out. I have always hated rivets and I let Boreal convince me they are OK. But all good cruising boats need to be done differently for long travel and wear. More chafing than we have ever had in 40 years of sailing but I can live with that except the main sheet set up and Boreal is working hard on making it better. Boreal has been with us the whole way fixing any problem even coming down to Lonzerote to fix some interior wood problems that really was not so bad. They are a great company but still have a long way to go in understanding how a cruising boat is set up and not how a crazy Frenchman an his crew would sail such a boat. Unlike a Pogo the Boreal can be sailed like any regular cruising blue water boat and not heeled over at 17 degrees making life enjoyable. My hope is Boreal keeps learning how most cruisers sail and most sail short handed and all the new Boreal owners benifit from our feed back to Boreal. We are the most popular boat where ever we go, every Frenchman and woman come to visit us hoping for a tour of our boat which we give because we love the French especially from Brittany. We drink and talk sailing for hours! Just today we have had 4 dinks come by to ask about our Boreal all of them Ovni owners!

Despite the small set backs that come with any new boat we are happy withe boat and I might consider though it is early our best boat ever. I'm hard as hell to please it takes about a year for me to make up my mind so far so good.

Any questions go and ask I'll answer them as true as I can as I promised earlier in this thread.

Cheers

Steve and Tracy
PCP, Faster, bjung and 4 others like this.
Old 01-04-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Awesome update, Steve! Sounds like a good ride, and a good test too right off the bat.

Thanks for checking back in. If you see a small Bene 36.7 called 'Skitter Scamp' in your travels please say hello to Brian and Maggie from Ron and Eleanor

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
... Unlike a Pogo the Boreal can be sailed like any regular cruising blue water boat and not heeled over at 17 degrees making life enjoyable. ...
Hi Steve! Glad to know you have made a great passage and that the boat works as you expected.

Great post but I did not understand the comment quoted.

The Pogo, like your boat is a beamy boat has a hull based on Open boats and like your boat heels very little, downwind, even less, for a similar or bigger speed since it is a more stiff boat.

A Pogo, if they wants to go at the same speed as a Boreal, can be sailed the same way as your boat, with the exception that it will need much less sail and the efforts on the rig and to handle them are much smaller. Of course, the downside is that the loading ability is not the same and the interior comfort is not comparable.

A Pogo in one transat is on its element, like the Boreal can be solo sailed and carried on autopilot practically all the time. Only if one wants to sail a cruising Pogo at high speed the sailing and sensations would be different even if that has nothing to do with heeling. The boat plans and go over hull speed easily on the typical trade winds but heels very little downwind.

Best to you and Tracy.

Keep us posted.

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-04-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2014

Transat race: Cape to Rio

Started yesterday, with the worse coverage I have ever seen on a Transat.

Here is the tracker, a bad one without any wind forecast or even indication:

XTra-Track ashBoard

The entries:

Entrants - Cape 2 Rio 2104

That goes from a VOR 70, an old Open 60 passing by several class 40 to some Bavarias, Beneteau the like, several cruising cats, a S&S 39 a SF 3200 and quite incredibly a German M34 an old style race with everything mixed up, mostly old racers and cruising boats.

This race deserved better and has the potential to be a classic...but not this way

Last edited by PCP; 01-05-2014 at 08:38 PM.