Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Directly from the Mini to the VOR.

Justine Mettraux (27) joins the girls on the VOR SCA.

The ones that followed with us the last mini Transat know well Justine and her big talent. She finished 2th on the series, but most of all, very close to the overall leaders and well ahead of most protos. A quite incredible race that seem to have not staid unnoticed.

These ladies under the leadership of Samantha (Sam Davies) risk to be quite a problem for men's teams

They have been training hard on their pink boat:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2014

capt vimes is on a distinguished road
Re: Mad sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The Australians are great sailors but if we took this video as an example, also mad sailors. Who would think of racing on these conditions? Olé!!!!
Granted!
have you ever seen the aussies or kiwis compete in their 12ft skiffs?
those little boats are so massively overcanvased, they are rather "flown" than actually "sailed"...
i know that there are better videos out there but couldn't find one in a hurry:

damn it - i cannot make that iframe work...
PCP and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

Last edited by capt vimes; 01-10-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-10-2014

New Flagship for Dehler: Dehler 46

a very sleek Judel / Vrolijk design:

Since Dehler passed to be controlled by Hanse, and after some design and quality issues (interior) that seem to have resolved on the 38, only good things have come from Dehler, including the price of the boats. This one is announced for 261 000 euros including German VAT and that seems amazing.

The boat looks good and the basic dimensions too:

Design............... Judel / Vrolijk & Co
Hull length......... 13,95 m
Total length....... 14.40 m
Waterline length.. 12,90 m
Beam .................4.35 m
Weight.............. 10.7 t
Ballast / ratio...... 3.5 t/33%
Draft................. 1.85/2.25/2.70 m
Engine............... 39 kW/53 hp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-10-2014

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Mad sailing

Quote:
The Australians are great sailors but if we took this video as an example, also mad sailors. Who would think of racing on these conditions? Olé!!!!

Notice how, in typical Australian fashion, the results at the end of the video list the crews with the men's names first. Does this mean the men are the skippers in each case? Perhaps. But I doubt it.

On a less serious note, racing in these kinds of conditions is what makes these among the best sailors in the world. It is an ISAF-level national event, after all, and these are Olympic class boats. Even though the wind is definitely up, the sea conditions are pretty manageable, with just the short chop and no big waves or confused seas.

I have often heard it said that European sailors are much more likely to go out in marginal conditions - i.e. big breeze - than their American counterparts. From my own experience I don't think this is necessarily the case, but that was mostly on San Francisco Bay, where if you don't like big breeze you wouldn't be able to sail very often.

But definitely the Aussies and Kiwis are not intimidated by big breeze.
Old 01-10-2014

Re: Directly from the Mini to the VOR.

Quote:
Justine Mettraux (27) joins the girls on the VOR SCA.

The ones that followed with us the last mini Transat know well Justine and her big talent. She finished 2th on the series, but most of all, very close to the overall leaders and well ahead of most protos. A quite incredible race that seem to have not staid unnoticed.

These ladies under the leadership of Samantha (Sam Davies) risk to be quite a problem for men's teams

They have been training hard on their pink boat:

Really thrilled to hear that Justine is getting time on the VOR 65. Just what she needs in the lead up to the TeamWork IMOCA campaign, in which I hope she plays a major role (with Bertrand Delesne, of course).

It seems to me that even if the SCA team never made it to the starting line, the sponsorship is already a very big marketing benefit for the SCA corporation. Just watching these women pushing hard on the VOR 65 in big breeze is inspirational and very cool. Anyone who has ever sailed on a big boat in strong winds knows how physically and mentally demanding it is. And here we have these terrific women sailors really working it at the highest level of the sport.

Exactly the sort of thing that parents would want their own daughters to aspire to, and which (hopefully) would give their sons more respect for their sisters and girls/women in general.

And anytime some idiot starts trashing women on race boats, we can be 100% certain he is a fool who knows nothing.
capt vimes likes this.
Old 01-10-2014

Re: New Flagship for Dehler: Dehler 46

Quote:
a very sleek Judel / Vrolijk design:

Since Dehler passed to be controlled by Hanse, and after some design and quality issues (interior) that seem to have resolved on the 38, only good things have come from Dehler, including the price of the boats. This one is announced for 261 000 euros including German VAT and that seems amazing.
Gorgeous boat. After eliminating Germany VAT (19%) you're probably looking at about $300K / €221K FOB in the United States, with sails, electronics, options and import duty. That's simply astounding for a 46 foot boat of this quality. For comparison purposes, this is probably less than half of what the NYYC Swan 42 cost new, and still less than you can get one on the used market. No question which boat I'd prefer to own.
Old 01-10-2014

Ker 46 Patrice on the 2013 Rolex Sydney-Hobart.

The video is great but long skip the middle part (boring). Skip from min 1.10 to 3.50. Don't miss the Dolphins racing with the boat.

Old 01-10-2014

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Multihulls...

Hi guys!

Did some catching up on this thread, happy to see you´re still going strong with the thread Paulo!! And I saw that you made some posts about multihulls, thought I might chime in

The Whisper 29 is (I think) also called Aeromomentum 29 or AM29 or Chang Mei 29 or JE29 or something like that and is probably 10 year old or so design. It´s a bit messy, I think it was designed by a semi-known na to be built in asia under the name Chang Mei 29. But then the builder used low quality materials which resulted in low quality boats. The na prohibited the builder to keep building but they kept on building it anyway. At least this is what I´ve heard. I´m not sure where the Whisper is built and by who, hopefully not the asian builder... Anyway, looks to have rather low finish and the design is not very good IMHO.

I did some research of Aventura cats and especially the Aventura 33 a couple of years ago. Interesting boats if you ask me, although I read a review of the 33 and it was apparently not very fast. At least it looks fast!

And to save the best for last! The KISS Multihull T29 trimaran! Designed by Stefan Törnblom (who can be seen sitting in the cockpit on one of the pictures sippin' on a beer!). My first boat, the Seaon 96, was also designed by Stefan. I think this is his follow-up design. The Seaon was definitely a very fast boat and this is probably even fast, at least in light winds. Very spartan interior and not very cozy, but hey, this boat is made for sailing . I did have some issues with the Seaon though that made me question the NA a bit. Maybe this one holds up better What I do think is really cool is the soft wing sail, I want that on my boat! I thought about it earlier, had some email conversation with Omer Wing Sail inventor, but dropped the idea. Maybe not too late though, my boat isn´t finished yet...

Cheers!

//Mr W
PCP likes this.
Old 01-10-2014

Tony Grainger new babies.

Talking about trimarans, the name of Graiger is not well known in Europe. Its designs serve mostly Oceania sailors and are well known there but his new designs seem so hot and so out of the shelf that I risk to say that soon he will be known on the other side of the world too. Just have a look:

Rocket 25:

Rocket 42

Rocket 52

Raw 30:

http://www.rocketfactorytrimarans.com/

Last edited by PCP; 01-10-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2014

Mr W is on a distinguished road
Re: Tony Grainger new babies.

Quote:
Talking about trimarans, the name of Graiger is not well known in Europe. Its designs serve mostly Oceania sailors and are well known there but his new designs seem so hot and so out of the shelf that I risk to say that soon he will be known on the other side of the world too.
Grainger designs look really nice, it's a shame there are not many of them around in my neighborhood! We do have some Seacarts though, they're also nice for racing. I really wouldn't mind a second boat for racing and fun. My Dragonfly will be used almost exclusively for family cruising. My brother races his Arcona 340 quite a bit, but I know that he has caught the multihull fever a little too. We have toyed with the idea of getting a small trimaran, probably a Corsair Sprint or Dash, to race just the two of us. Not this year though! I'll go to Denmark in May to bring my boat home and I want to spend at least one summer with the boat before deciding on yet another one But until then, a little daydreaming is allowed

//Mr W