Interesting Sailboats - Page 571 - SailNet Community
 1269Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #5701 of 6763 Old 01-13-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Fast cats, great sailing and some capsizes:

Sirena 20 Years Video Contest - SL16 Canet - 2013 por Riders-Match

Sirena 20 Years Video Contest - Best Of Capsize... por Riders-Match

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 6763 Old 01-13-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Robert Louis Stevenson, a cruiser.

I guess that cruising as a word did not exist at that time and the best he could find as a substitute was travel even if today cruising was more appropriated to what he wanted to describe. The quote is this one:

"I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel's sake. the great affair is to move...To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive.."

A cruiser I would say. If on those days small offshore cruising sailboats were almost non existent I am sure he would have own one and would have cruised it extensivelly and then he could have said:

I cruise no to go anywhere but to sail. I cruise for cruising's sake. The great affair is sailing

In fact he cruised on a sailboat, even if only for some years, a charted one:

"In June 1888 Stevenson chartered the yacht Casco and set sail with his family from San Francisco. ..The sea air and thrill of adventure for a time restored his health, and for nearly three years he wandered the eastern and central Pacific, stopping for extended stays at the Hawaiian Islands, where he spent much time with and became a good friend of King Kalākaua. .. He spent time at the Gilbert Islands, Tahiti, New Zealand and the Samoan Islands. ... Fanny undertook on the Casco from the Hawaiian Islands to the Marquesas and Tuamotu islands. An 1889 voyage, this time with Lloyd, on the trading schooner Equator, visiting Butaritari, Mariki, Apaiang and Abemama in the Gilbert Islands, (also known as the Kingsmills) now Kiribati. .."

I love the man and his personality. Some more quotes that in some way define him:

There is no foreign land; it is the traveller only that is foreign

To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life.

Youth is wholly experimental.

To hold the same views at forty as we held at twenty is to have been stupefied for a score of years..

"To be overwise is to ossify; and the scruple-monger ends by standing stockstill."

Most of our pocket wisdom is conceived for the use of mediocre people, to discourage them from ambitious attempts, and generally console them in their mediocrity. And since mediocre people constitute the bulk of humanity, this is no doubt very properly so.

Books are good enough in their own way, but they are a mighty bloodless substitute for life.

Wikipedia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-13-2014 at 12:10 PM.
post #5703 of 6763 Old 01-13-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

and there he goes again,

trying to cross the Atlantic on the yellow mini-mini made of an exotic material. Bad year to try a stunt like that.

Well, 2th try, let's hope that Harald Sedlacek has more luck now. He plans to do the crossing in 40 days. Good luck to him, but a mad stunt anyway.

You can follow his voyage and now more about the boat material here:

New sailing records - FIPOFIX® (EN)

post #5704 of 6763 Old 01-13-2014

Re: and there he goes again,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
trying to cross the Atlantic on the yellow mini-mini made of an exotic material. Bad year to try a stunt like that.

Well, 2th try, let's hope that Harald Sedlacek has more luck now. He plans to do the crossing in 40 days. Good luck to him, but a mad stunt anyway.

You can follow his voyage and now more about the boat material here:

New sailing records - FIPOFIX® (EN)
I got aware of that project some time ago and really tried to figure out, what that fipofix would be... Apart from a rather awkward sounding marketing name, at least to me...

I also found no information regarding the abandoned first attempt, where norbert sedlacek sailed that dinghy... The only austrian - and ironically the first german speaking (stamm is swiss, but from the french part) - to have ever competed in the vendee globe - he became dead last, had a rather old boat and he is an adventurer - not a racer...
Harald is his son

Edit:
The first quotes from your stevenson post would fit bernard montessier perfectly as well...

Last edited by capt vimes; 01-13-2014 at 04:59 PM.
post #5705 of 6763 Old 01-13-2014

Re: and there he goes again,

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
I got aware of that project some time ago and really tried to figure out, what that fipofix would be... Apart from a rather awkward sounding marketing name, at least to me...

I also found no information regarding the abandoned first attempt, where norbert sedlacek sailed that dinghy... The only austrian - and ironically the first german speaking (stamm is swiss, but from the french part) - to have ever competed in the vendee globe - he became dead last, had a rather old boat and he is an adventurer - not a racer...
Harald is his son

Edit:
The first quotes from your stevenson post would fit bernard montessier perfectly as well...
Bernard Moitessier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He struck an unidentified floating object which damaged his rudder and also experienced some problems with his charging system (indeed, since he is using a hydro charger it may have been damaged when he struck the submerged object).

"FipoFix" is the composite technology used in the construction of the boat, hence the odd sponsor name. It involves the use of volcanic rock material, and Paulo has covered it - and a related technology - in an earlier post.

Volcanic Fiber - FIPOFIX® (EN)

I very much admire this effort and, if he does make it to New York City, I will be in a good position to go visit the boat, as I will be taking a new job based in the nearby city of Stamford, Connecticut later this month. Much easier to catch the train down to NYC from there than from where I am currently.

However, I won't let it interrupt my current love affair with the Elan 210, which is now competing for my heart with the Seascape 27 and the Django 7.70.

We deal in lead, friend.
post #5706 of 6763 Old 01-13-2014

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Thank's mr pelicano...
I knew about the volcanic stuff from their homepage but it does not reveal what is in it exactly... Volcanic material goes from pumice to granite and non of this stuff is known for its tensile strength... Carbon is also not known for tensile strength, but it comes in a wide variety of configurations which goes from diamond to graphite and back via fulerenes, nanotubes and meets with diamond again in the form of graphen...
I really would like to know what is in it, because 'rock' is a lot of different elements and molecules all mixed up...
post #5707 of 6763 Old 01-13-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

What boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
However, I won't let it interrupt my current love affair with the Elan 210, which is now competing for my heart with the Seascape 27 and the Django 7.70.
I don't know what is doing the Elan 210 on your dreams but I don't think it would be of much use to you

In fact it is pretty easy: If you want a boat to solo sail and an oceanic racer, as well as a good cruiser, that's easy, it is the Django 7.70 on its racing version (the interior is the same):

Marée Haute - Le Chantier Marée Haute lance le Django Ocean Race - VoilesNews

The Seascape 27 is a fast and fun boat to sail but it is a coastal boat. sure you will have fun racing it but not good results in compensated neither it will be a good boat for crewed race. Now, there is another option, I posted about it but you seemed distracted. This baby:

This one can be a good option regarding speed, short crew racing, crewed racing and it has also offshore potential. Two of them are going to make the next Transquadra.

Look at these prices:

Sormiou Yachts 29 occasion - Annonces de voiliers en vente

Regards

Paulo

post #5708 of 6763 Old 01-13-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
Thank's mr pelicano...
I knew about the volcanic stuff from their homepage but it does not reveal what is in it exactly... Volcanic material goes from pumice to granite and non of this stuff is known for its tensile strength... Carbon is also not known for tensile strength, but it comes in a wide variety of configurations which goes from diamond to graphite and back via fulerenes, nanotubes and meets with diamond again in the form of graphen...
I really would like to know what is in it, because 'rock' is a lot of different elements and molecules all mixed up...
As Pelicano said, I had already posted about it:

Quote:
I don't think you can do an Ocean racer smaller than the Mini6.50 not on account of the boat but on account of seaworthiness and safety. You have some guys doing the Pogo 2 in America and the boat is not expensive for an Ocean racer.

Regarding the material that's another story. That's a CFS (Carbon Fiber Stone) material and the first I herd about CFS was on the Salona shipyard. In fact they use the material, not with volcanic stone but with granite that seems even strange to me. In fact if you order a Salona (any of them) in IBC specifications (infusion based carbon) the bulkheads are made in CFS, using granite. Take a look at the movie and stop exactly om 1.00 minute and you will see. All bulkheads are made with that material. It is not painted black it is just its color:

I saw the material there, it comes in big panels and its weird, black as the night, very light and very strong.

I looked at the time on internet searching for the material and I found very little. It says well from Salona since they are using it on top performance boats for years. Maybe because they are a small subdivision of a huge plastics and fibers manufacturer they have access to information and top materials in what regards the plastic/fibers development.

You should see my face when they asked to me if I wanted granite bulkheads on my boat

Some more information:

Towards a new Stone Age

http://technocarbon.de/presse/SD_CM_...chnocarbon.pdf

PS: that boat can have also an interior made of a lighter material (and more expensive) but it seems to me that it is a normal interior. The mast, boom and wheels are carbon but it has also teak decks so it is not a top racer. Some guy that wanted a fast but comfortable boat.

post #5709 of 6763 Old 01-14-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

the Flying Phantom one design

looks better and better. I hope this is going to be a success as a class. It deserves it and I would love to see some fleet racing images

from Jeremie Eloy/ Wanaii Films on Vimeo.

post #5710 of 6763 Old 01-14-2014

Re: What boat?

Quote:
I don't know what is doing the Elan 210 on your dreams but I don't think it would be of much use to you
I can explain...

My infatuation with the Elan 210 is strictly as a short-term solution, since it more and more appears that my offshore sailing goals are being pushed out further than I would like.

For racing / crusing within Long Island Sound and the northeast U.S. coast, the Elan 210 would be quite suitable, particularly at the quoted price point. The fact that it can be easily trailered also opens the option of Key West and the Caribbean, to some extent, as well as the Sea of Cortez, on the Mexico West Coast. And, with some modest upgrades, the boat might be able to qualify for the Singlehanded Transpac Race, from San Francisco to Kauai, Hawai'i.

The case for the Seascape 27 is the same, albeit more expensive by about 30-40%.

Going back to my long term goals, then we are definitely talking, again, about the Django 7.70 and the Archambault 31, as well as a few others. My wife, of course would prefer to see a Dehler 38 in her future (or now a Dehler 46, thanks to your earlier posting), but haven't figured out how the math would work for those choices. As in so many things in life, it's not the simple acquistion of something but the long term maintenance of it that becomes a challenge. I would not want a boat like the Dehler 46 if I was unable to maintain it in pristine condition. Boats that beautiful deserve no less.

But thank you for keeping my best interests in mind.

We deal in lead, friend.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.