Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bernard Stamm’s Cheminées Poujoulat successfully towed to port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The boat is already at Aber Wrac’h.

Very impressive photos:

Photo gallery: Recovery of Bernard Stamm?s Cheminées Poujoulat | VSail.info
Wow.. pretty obviously 'tore apart'.. hope the autopsy can actually come up with the real cause(s)...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Loick Peiron is learning new tricks.

We have talk here several times about Cammas, that by the way is going to be at the wheel of the French team on the next AC, but talked less about another French sail legend, Loick Peiron.

Loick is older, I mean he is really old for a top racer (55). He started is sailing carrier by winning the 1979 mini transat and his accomplishments are too long to post here but I guess all know he is the holder of the absolute sail circumnavigation record and besides that maybe its bigger accomplishment is to have won for six times the Trophée Clairefontaine.

I bet many don’t know what is that and why it is important, well it is a French thing, kind of the race of the Champions regarding sail. They invite world champions from all sail categories and the best to win.

Peyron is by far the record holder of that race that he won 8 times, 5 of them in a row. The guy that stopped that row was a certain Franck Cammas that have won for 3 times. There are also a Mr Desjoyeux that have won for 4 times….and the last year’s winner was a certain Gabart.

But Peyron is learning to sail again and stayed near the tail on the last world championship he had entered .....and that just puts him higher on my consideration because the championship was with this “things” that he decided to learn how to fly with 54 years of age. Big balls

Of course, even near the tail of a world championship he was far from ridiculous and just racing there says how good he is already with the “Moth”. Maybe next year he would fight for the top places, after all he is just the new kid on the block and he is learning.

What a Character, have a look at this interview:

How many times do you have crossed the Atlantic? : 50 times….and he could have add that 6 of them on major transat races that he won as well as two during circumnavigations races/records that he beat or won.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-12-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-12-2014

Stamm towing his boat

They have talked about the boat breaking in half but for what we can see it seems that it was the bow section that broke.

Stamm dived today under the boat and was surprised to see that the keel and bulb (almost half the weight of the boat) are still there. the boat was violently shaken by the storm and the cabin's top was destroyed. It is incredible how the airtight compartments that make the boat unsinkable could maintain the boat afloat, considering that it is broken in two parts, with a broken cabin top and supporting almost 4 tons of ballast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-12-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2014

capt vimes is on a distinguished road
Re: Bernard Stamm’s Cheminées Poujoulat successfully towed to port.

Quote:
The boat is already at Aber Wrac’h.

Very impressive photos:

Photo gallery: Recovery of Bernard Stamm?s Cheminées Poujoulat | VSail.info
just seen that paulo has already posted it...
dumb me...

Last edited by capt vimes; 01-13-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-13-2014

Fast cats, great sailing and some capsizes:

Sirena 20 Years Video Contest - SL16 Canet - 2013 por Riders-Match

Sirena 20 Years Video Contest - Best Of Capsize... por Riders-Match

Old 01-13-2014

Robert Louis Stevenson, a cruiser.

I guess that cruising as a word did not exist at that time and the best he could find as a substitute was travel even if today cruising was more appropriated to what he wanted to describe. The quote is this one:

"I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel's sake. the great affair is to move...To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive.."

A cruiser I would say. If on those days small offshore cruising sailboats were almost non existent I am sure he would have own one and would have cruised it extensivelly and then he could have said:

I cruise no to go anywhere but to sail. I cruise for cruising's sake. The great affair is sailing

In fact he cruised on a sailboat, even if only for some years, a charted one:

"In June 1888 Stevenson chartered the yacht Casco and set sail with his family from San Francisco. ..The sea air and thrill of adventure for a time restored his health, and for nearly three years he wandered the eastern and central Pacific, stopping for extended stays at the Hawaiian Islands, where he spent much time with and became a good friend of King Kalākaua. .. He spent time at the Gilbert Islands, Tahiti, New Zealand and the Samoan Islands. ... Fanny undertook on the Casco from the Hawaiian Islands to the Marquesas and Tuamotu islands. An 1889 voyage, this time with Lloyd, on the trading schooner Equator, visiting Butaritari, Mariki, Apaiang and Abemama in the Gilbert Islands, (also known as the Kingsmills) now Kiribati. .."

I love the man and his personality. Some more quotes that in some way define him:

There is no foreign land; it is the traveller only that is foreign

To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life.

Youth is wholly experimental.

To hold the same views at forty as we held at twenty is to have been stupefied for a score of years..

"To be overwise is to ossify; and the scruple-monger ends by standing stockstill."

Most of our pocket wisdom is conceived for the use of mediocre people, to discourage them from ambitious attempts, and generally console them in their mediocrity. And since mediocre people constitute the bulk of humanity, this is no doubt very properly so.

Books are good enough in their own way, but they are a mighty bloodless substitute for life.

Wikipedia

Last edited by PCP; 01-13-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-13-2014

and there he goes again,

trying to cross the Atlantic on the yellow mini-mini made of an exotic material. Bad year to try a stunt like that.

Well, 2th try, let's hope that Harald Sedlacek has more luck now. He plans to do the crossing in 40 days. Good luck to him, but a mad stunt anyway.

You can follow his voyage and now more about the boat material here:

New sailing records - FIPOFIX® (EN)

Old 01-13-2014

Re: and there he goes again,

Quote:
trying to cross the Atlantic on the yellow mini-mini made of an exotic material. Bad year to try a stunt like that.

Well, 2th try, let's hope that Harald Sedlacek has more luck now. He plans to do the crossing in 40 days. Good luck to him, but a mad stunt anyway.

You can follow his voyage and now more about the boat material here:

New sailing records - FIPOFIX® (EN)
I got aware of that project some time ago and really tried to figure out, what that fipofix would be... Apart from a rather awkward sounding marketing name, at least to me...

I also found no information regarding the abandoned first attempt, where norbert sedlacek sailed that dinghy... The only austrian - and ironically the first german speaking (stamm is swiss, but from the french part) - to have ever competed in the vendee globe - he became dead last, had a rather old boat and he is an adventurer - not a racer...
Harald is his son

Edit:
The first quotes from your stevenson post would fit bernard montessier perfectly as well...

Last edited by capt vimes; 01-13-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2014

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: and there he goes again,

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
I got aware of that project some time ago and really tried to figure out, what that fipofix would be... Apart from a rather awkward sounding marketing name, at least to me...

I also found no information regarding the abandoned first attempt, where norbert sedlacek sailed that dinghy... The only austrian - and ironically the first german speaking (stamm is swiss, but from the french part) - to have ever competed in the vendee globe - he became dead last, had a rather old boat and he is an adventurer - not a racer...
Harald is his son

Edit:
The first quotes from your stevenson post would fit bernard montessier perfectly as well...
Bernard Moitessier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He struck an unidentified floating object which damaged his rudder and also experienced some problems with his charging system (indeed, since he is using a hydro charger it may have been damaged when he struck the submerged object).

"FipoFix" is the composite technology used in the construction of the boat, hence the odd sponsor name. It involves the use of volcanic rock material, and Paulo has covered it - and a related technology - in an earlier post.

Volcanic Fiber - FIPOFIX® (EN)

I very much admire this effort and, if he does make it to New York City, I will be in a good position to go visit the boat, as I will be taking a new job based in the nearby city of Stamford, Connecticut later this month. Much easier to catch the train down to NYC from there than from where I am currently.

However, I won't let it interrupt my current love affair with the Elan 210, which is now competing for my heart with the Seascape 27 and the Django 7.70.
Old 01-13-2014

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Thank's mr pelicano...
I knew about the volcanic stuff from their homepage but it does not reveal what is in it exactly... Volcanic material goes from pumice to granite and non of this stuff is known for its tensile strength... Carbon is also not known for tensile strength, but it comes in a wide variety of configurations which goes from diamond to graphite and back via fulerenes, nanotubes and meets with diamond again in the form of graphen...
I really would like to know what is in it, because 'rock' is a lot of different elements and molecules all mixed up...