Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2014

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Rounded bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
... no offense taken...
rather the contrary - i appreciate any correction because it allows me to learn...

so - a plane lands plain in the plains according to the plan but if a plane planes planned on plain water, is it still just a plain plane?
Couldn't have put it more plainly, Captain!
Old 01-16-2014

Re: Sq 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Very nice boat and congratulations to Marc-Oliver von Ahlen for a great design...and to the public that chose a very nice boat.

SQ25 | Yachtdesign v. Ahlen

Here are the dimensions:

LOA 7.50 m (standard)
LOA 7,80 m (twin rudder)
Hull length 7.50 m
Lwl: 6.74 m
Beam 2.49 m
Air draft 11.40 m
Fixed keel standard 1.30 m
Fixed keel shallow 1.10 m
Swing keel 0.70 m-1, 80 m
Sail area 32.7 square meters (Standard rig)
Light Displacement 1600 kg

and the two versions, the standard and the fast one:

Regarding the designer he has experience in small fast boats, he is the one that designed the Sailart 22, one of the boats nominated for this year European boat of the year contest, this boat:

Kunst am Boot: Sailart 22 - Yacht TV - Segel Videos von Europas größtem Yacht Magazin

Also the one that designed the Sirius 35, one of the boats that was posted on the first posts of this thread.
Wow! Very nice indeed. This could very well factor into my considerations, particularly the option with the enclosed marine head / shower (for certain family members for whom that is the most important feature of any sailboat).

That extra 0.9M of length and corresponding interior volume would make for a more comfortable experience in any kind of serious breeze or sea state, compared to the Elan 210. I'm a big fan of the swing keel option, versus the lift keel (which I'm okay with, just prefer the former). Looking forward to seeing the finished product and pricing options.

Thanks very much for sharing this surprising (and very interesting, of course) little boat.
Old 01-16-2014

Norbert Sedlacek and Fipofix on their way again!

Norbert Sedlacek has departed from Gijon in "Fipofix" for another singlehanded Atlantic crossing attempt. You may recall that his initial attempt, last Fall, was cut short by electrical problems and a collision with an unidentified floating object, which damaged his rudder.

He initially set off yesterday but encountered problems with autopilot controller that forced a return to Gijon for repairs. But now he is on his way and, if everything goes smoothly, will arrive in New York City in a few weeks.

I am really hoping he succeeds and will do my best to go down and visit the boat when he arrives.

Old 01-16-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Faurby 460E

Great news: Faurby is making a big one.

I confess that I have an irrational love for Faubry: Their boats are traditional, narrow and with one of the best finish on the market, a true work of art. Besides they are a family business and are very nice. I say Irrational because the design is good but nor really modern and the boats even if fast are not a match for the Luffe.

I believe that ended, I mean not being a match and not being contemporary. For the new one instead of being designed in the house, the design is from Lars. T. Olsen that we know for designing the HP 1030, a very fast boat. The 460E design seems sensational. Sure it will have a more traditional look than other performance cruisers but this time it is really only the look. This is the kind of traditional boat I like

Look at the dimensions:

Length................14.70 m
Hull length...........13,95 m
LWL....................12,35 m
Beam................... 3.90 m
Draft / alternative...2,25 m / 2,00, 2,70 m
Displacement..........8,5 t
Ballast...................3,6 t
MainSail................61 sqm
Sail area Jib...........48 sqm
Gennaker..............180 sqm
Motor 39 kW/53 hp

And look at the hull:

The boat comes with a rigging for solo sailing as you can see above.

Ok, the deawings are 2D and it will not look as good as 3D drawings but I know that this boat is beautiful.

The problem with narrow boats is that they are a lot more expensive, they have a lot less interior space and you need a bigger boat that it ends up having about the same weight, needing the same sail area, being faster....but much more expensive in maintenance and marinas. Money aside, this is probably the kind of boat that I would not mind to change by my own...but unless you have a lot of it money counts a lot.

Ok, I would like a more vertical bow and an open transom. The open transom I am sure it would not be a problem (they offer that possibility on the other boats) regarding the bow that is not obviously possible...but anyway who wants a perfect boat

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
http://www.faurby.dk/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-16-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Rounded bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
...... Maybe I did not have understood correctly Classic 30 question. I thought he was talking about the boat he posted.

Classic30, for more information search on the thread search engine for David Raison and Bathtube bow.
Paulo, it seems to me that you understood (and answered) my question correctly. ..but thanks for the search tips. I will look those up.

Keep going with your excellent thread.. .
Old 01-16-2014

J-88 tested by YachtingWorld magazine:

Nice boat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-16-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2014

capt vimes is on a distinguished road
Re: Norbert Sedlacek and Fipofix on their way again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
Norbert Sedlacek has departed from Gijon in "Fipofix" for another singlehanded Atlantic crossing attempt. You may recall that his initial attempt, last Fall, was cut short by electrical problems and a collision with an unidentified floating object, which damaged his rudder.

He initially set off yesterday but encountered problems with autopilot controller that forced a return to Gijon for repairs. But now he is on his way and, if everything goes smoothly, will arrive in New York City in a few weeks.

I am really hoping he succeeds and will do my best to go down and visit the boat when he arrives.
yeah - all the best to harald and his little boat!
new york - i thought he is crossing to st. augustine, florida?
Old 01-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
yeah - all the best to harald and his little boat!
new york - i thought he is crossing to st. augustine, florida?
Damn! Must have changed his plan. And I don't blame him. If I crossed the Atlantic in a boat that small I would not want to arrive in New York City in winter. Unfortunately, I don't have the option of flying down to Florida to greet him.
Old 01-17-2014

Sydney-Hobart 2013 and Radford 12

The Hobart of the old designed boats is gonna away. Today almost all boats are contemporary designs, racing boats and performance cruisers. The Radford 12 is no exception, being a design of Graham Radford that was part of the crew. We can see on this nice movie that they went fast....and even so they only made 72 out of the 84 that finished the race. The Level towards performance in what regards the end of the fleet had grow substantially on the last years.

Copernicus - Sydney Hobart 2013 from Greg Wilkins on Vimeo.

The Radford 12 is a nice design with the particularity of being an aluminium boat:

Sail-World.com : Copernicus is coming: Radford Yachts

RADFORD YACHT DESIGN - Radford 12m - Cruiser/Racer

Radford is an Australian NA with many stock plans on the market, particularly aluminium voyage boats:

RADFORD YACHT DESIGN Home Page

He has also on his site a nice page about boat stability:

RADFORD YACHT DESIGN - Stability Discussion

and the fact that he participates as crew on his designs in tough races like this one contradicts the naysayers that insist that the NA that design this type of fast boats for offshore conditions don't really know what they are doing since they never sail their designs on this conditions. I know, it does not make sense but I am tired to hear things like that on this site

This Hobart was a tough one, specially for the boats on the tail of the race, like this Radford that have made it to the finish with fling colors...with the designer crewing it.

Last edited by PCP; 01-17-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-17-2014

robelz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
It is Harald, Norbert's son!

Winner 8.00: Alles drin auf acht Metern - Yachten + Jollen*|*YACHT.DE

After the big success of the Winner 900 they now present the 800: Winner 8.00: Alles drin auf acht Metern - Yachten + Jollen*|*YACHT.DE

Last edited by robelz; 01-17-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.