Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
The "professor" takes a new student:

Michlel Desjoyeux, the two times vendee globe winner (and three times winner of the Solitaire du Figaro), called with good reason by the French "Le professeur" took under his wing the new French talent Corentin Horeau and will team up with him on the next Transat AG2R.

A nice guy Michel and with an eye for new talents. His last "student" was François Gabart, the last winner of the Vendee Globe and that one has already grown his own wings.

Corentin Horeau : "I didn't really know Michel before dinner with him one night in Gijon during the last Solitaire du Figaro. It was after this dinner that I got the idea to propose to do race the Transat with him. I was a little intimidated, but I told myself that I had nothing to lose. So I sent him an email when he was sailing the Transat Jacques Vabre with François [Gabart]."

Desjoyeaux : "I immediately thought Corentin's idea was friendly when I was offered to sail the Transat AG2R with him. To sail in the Figaro is part of my program in 2014, so this opportunity is welcome. I didn't know Corentin very well before last summer on the Solitaire du Figaro. I admit that the current passed between us and our partnership should be effective. We will train over winter in Port La Forêt where a lot of courses are already scheduled out of the Pôle France Finistère Course."

Corentin was the 2012 winner of the Team Bretagne-Crédit Mutuel trials, that is the is French equivalent of the Artemis Offshore Academy, both aiming to bring new blood and talent to solo sailing offshore racing. Now Bretagne-Crédit Mutuel has made him its 'Skipper Espoir'.

I bet we will have here another winner. The 24 year's old skipper had done recently his first solo racing Transat with the best Figaro sailors (transat Bretagne Martinique), finishing 8th out of 15, even with some problems (he run out of fuel and water).

Here we can see him finishing that Transat:

EricKLYC likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-17-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2014

Thomas Coville started his attempt on the solo circumnavigation sail record:

The record holder is Francis Joyon (solo) on Idec with 57 j 13 h 34' a difficult one to beat.

Here is the Teaser:

You can follow the attempt here:

Maxi-trimaran Sodebo - Record du tour du monde en solitaire

For now he is beating and losing time but soon he will have winds over 30K on the beam and should go like a rocket. I hope he does not take too much wind. This year that has been a nasty one!!!
EricKLYC likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2014

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Sydney-Hobart 2013 and Radford 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The Hobart of the old designed boats is gonna away. Today almost all boats are contemporary designs, racing boats and performance cruisers. The Radford 12 is no exception, being a design of Graham Radford that was part of the crew. We can see on this nice movie that they went fast....and even so they only made 72 out of the 84 that finished the race. The Level towards performance in what regards the end of the fleet had grow substantially on the last years.

The Radford 12 is a nice design with the particularity of being an aluminium boat:

Radford is an Australian NA with many stock plans on the market, particularly aluminium voyage boats:

RADFORD YACHT DESIGN Home Page

He has also on his site a nice page about boat stability:

RADFORD YACHT DESIGN - Stability Discussion

and the fact that he participates as crew on his designs in tough races like this one contradicts the naysayers that insist that the NA that design this type of fast boats for offshore conditions don't really know what they are doing since they never sail their designs on this conditions. I know, it does not make sense but I am tired to hear things like that on this site

This Hobart was a tough one, specially for the boats on the tail of the race, like this Radford that have made it to the finish with fling colors...with the designer crewing it.
At the risk of sounding overly critical, it is not surprising that they did not get a better result. Either they did not have the correct downwind sails or they decided to take a conservative strategy. The conditions during which they are flying the poled-out #3 with double-reefed main probably called for a 1.5oz or storm kite, if they were in full-on racing mode. I am not criticizing that decision, but I am willing to wager that other boats that finished ahead of them were being more aggressive, and carrying kites up to the limits of their prescribed range.

Of course, it is likely those boats have at least a few professional sailors on board, but I think if you want to make a good result in this race you have to push harder. For me, I probably would have kept a spinnaker up as much as possible, during daylight hours, and switched to the poled-out jib at night, if wind conditions called for it.

Again, it is easy to make such comments from behind a desk, staring at a computer screen. But I've raced in conditions just like that, so it's not like I'm suggesting crazy, reckless stuff.

But they definitely looked like they were having a terrific time, and even in the big breeze they enjoyed shorts-and-technical shirt weather. Very comfy.
Old 01-17-2014

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: The "professor" takes a new student:

Quote:
Corentin was the 2012 winner of the Team Bretagne-Crédit Mutuel trials, that is the is French equivalent of the Artemis Offshore Academy, both aiming to bring new blood and talent to solo sailing offshore racing. Now Bretagne-Crédit Mutuel has made him its 'Skipper Espoir'.
Not many people know that Bretagne-Crédit Mutuel made me it's 'Skipper Désespoir' last year. A very good decision on their part.
Old 01-17-2014

Re: Sydney-Hobart 2013 and Radford 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
At the risk of sounding overly critical, it is not surprising that they did not get a better result. Either they did not have the correct downwind sails or they decided to take a conservative strategy. The conditions during which they are flying the poled-out #3 with double-reefed main probably called for a 1.5oz or storm kite, if they were in full-on racing mode. I am not criticizing that decision, but I am willing to wager that other boats that finished ahead of them were being more aggressive, and carrying kites up to the limits of their prescribed range.

Of course, it is likely those boats have at least a few professional sailors on board, but I think if you want to make a good result in this race you have to push harder. For me, I probably would have kept a spinnaker up as much as possible, during daylight hours, and switched to the poled-out jib at night, if wind conditions called for it.

Again, it is easy to make such comments from behind a desk, staring at a computer screen. But I've raced in conditions just like that, so it's not like I'm suggesting crazy, reckless stuff.

But they definitely looked like they were having a terrific time, and even in the big breeze they enjoyed shorts-and-technical shirt weather. Very comfy.
Yes anyway they go fast for amateurs. I have said they were on the tail of the race. You see lots of boats that by the numbers look slower finishing well ahead. For instance you see lots of First 40 5 hours and more ahead.

Regards

Paulo

Old 01-17-2014

Another French skipper trying to break a solo record.

Lionel Lemonchois solo on the Maxi 80ft trimaran Prince de la Bretagne will try to break the record Between Lorient (France) and and Maurice Island (Port-Louis) not far from Madagascar.. This record also belongs to Francis Joyon (26 days 4 hours and 13').

I find amazing how these guys can solo sail these monsters. The first one that showed that was possible was Franck Cammas that won the last Route du Rhum solo sailing the giant Grupama that was used previously by him (and a full crew) to beat the absolute circumnavigation record (that has already been beaten by Peyron).

He is going to try on the next days to beat also the solo 24 hours record (666,2 Nm at the average speed of 27,75 K)

http://www.routedesprinces.fr/en/tea...emonchois.html

You can follow the attempt here:

http://maxi80-lamauricienne.addviso.org/fr/

(This will be the last post for some days)

Last edited by PCP; 01-17-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2014

robelz is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Someone else at BOOT trade fair on thursday?
Old 01-20-2014

Winners of the 2014 European boat of the year award.

Not me that have been today at the Dusseldorf Messe , that was has good as usual, like the local beer at the AltStadt on that old brewery with an interior all in wood and that makes his own bear. One full day for the boats, two days for the brewery. The beer wins hands down

Tomorrow I will lunch in Kevelaer, a favorite small town with another fantastic brewery/restaurant (I had already dinned there) and it will be it for this year.

Regarding the boats, yesterday was the night were they have voted the boat of the year and it bring no surprises for me. The only one that I would not have indicated as Favorite on the respective categories would be the Saphier and that's because on that one there was two favorites, the Seascape 27 and the Saphier 27.

But if you have saw the movies that I posted (yacht.de) regarding the testing maybe you would remember that I commented how fast the boat seemed on light winds face to the other boats, even bigger ones. It seems that it was not only me that noticed that

The other winners, that proudly wear already today on the hulls that distinction, were for performance cruiser the Dehler 38, for family cruiser the Oceanis 38 and for luxury cruiser the Contest 42 CS.

Edit: after all the Saphire 27 was a clear favorite since the Seascape 27 was nominated last year, not this one.

Last edited by PCP; 01-22-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-20-2014

Edward3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

The Contest 42 CS looked sharp in the breezy Ft. Lauderdale - Key West race
Took her a while to come thru the fleet in the light going during first half of race but with 25+ knts and 80-90 APW she got her sea legs running
World Premiere boat that was black/gray/gold in color
The black sails with gold design looked a bit odd when reefed and the jib half rolled up
Nice guys showing the boat off at the dock
Carbon rig
Even though last place in IRC and 6 hours behind the Cookson 50 and Carkeek 40 she arrived in style and a lot dryer with the large raised bridgework and a lot more protection behind the dual wheels
Old 01-21-2014

robelz is on a distinguished road
Re: Winners of the 2014 European boat of the year award.

Quote:
Not me that have been today at the Messe, that was has good as usual, like the local beer on the AltStadt on that old brewery with an interior all in wood and that makes his own bear. One full day for the boats, two days for the brewery. The beer wins hands down

Tomorrow I will lunch in Kevelaer, a favorite small town with another fantastic brewery/restaurant (I had already dinned there) and it will be it for this year.

Regarding the boats, yesterday was the night were they have voted the boat of the year and it bring no surprises for me. The only one that I would not have indicated as Favorite on the respective categories would be the Saphier and thats because on that one there was two favorites, the Seascape 27 and the Saphier 27.

But if you have saw the movies that I posted (yacht.de) regarding the testing maybe you would remember that I commented how fast the boat seemed on light winds face to the other boats, even bigger ones. It seems that it was not only me that noticed that

The other winners, that proudly wear already today on the hulls that distinction, were for performance cruiser the Dehler 38, for family cruiser the Oceanis 38 and for luxury cruiser the Contest 42 CS.
Well, there are few breweries with wooden interior... Uerige? Schumacher? Füchschen? Schlüssel? These are the most famous ones... The "Alt" in Altstadt has nothing to do with the Altbeer. Altstadt means old town while Alt in Altbeer comes from the latin word "altus" which means "high" and refers to the top fermentation (similar to bavarian beer) method. I am pretty sure Wikipedia is wrong here (even the german wiki).

Well, there are no surprises with the EYOTY: They always chose the most boring one...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.