Interesting Sailboats - Page 579 - SailNet Community
 1269Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #5781 of 6763 Old 01-22-2014

Re: Mat 12.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Well as a prize of agreeing so much have a look at the redesigned MAT 12 (Mills) now MAT 12.45:
Uncanny! I was at this exact moment looking at the MAT boats and wondering if they were too "performance" oriented to pass the "cruiser" test. Now I am afraid you know me far too well.

We deal in lead, friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5782 of 6763 Old 01-22-2014

Re: Mat 12.45

Quote:
Well as a prize of agreeing so much have a look at the redesigned MAT 12 (Mills) now MAT 12.45
Now this is what I'm talking about, when it comes to good crew work and strong hiking. These guys are giving a very good effort upwind (and apparently going quite fast - they roll right over 41 early after the start in video #1).

The downwind parts remind me how much I disliked flying the A-sails off a regular spi pole - gybing is a pain in the buttocks for the bowman. I did bow on a 52' and a 50' that both had that set-up (also had to deal with it on the Farr/Mumm 30, but those kites and pole were smaller and lighter). Fortunately, the 52 switched to an IRC-optimized fixed sprit the next season, making me a happy camper.

Really nice looking boat, that I'm sure is way out of my price range. I'm guessing even more expensive than the Dehler 46 that Paulo has now got me captivated by.

We deal in lead, friend.
post #5783 of 6763 Old 01-22-2014

More on M.A.T - the 6.5

By one of those odd coincidences, I have had occasion to race on one of the M.A.T Mini 6.50's:

M.A.T. Sailing Yachts - M.A.T. 6.5

More specifically, I have sailed on several occasions on the former CAN 415, when it was based in British Columbia, including the Swiftsure Race in 2006. What's rather funny is that I knew it was built in Turkey but didn't realize it was built at M.A.T until today. Great boat, albeit with rudder issues that took a long time to sort out - indeed, not sure they were ever sorted.

Boat also did the Around-Vancouver-Island Race, I think in 2004 or 2005. The owner at that time had the goal of doing the Transat, but sponsorship money never came together as planned. Pity, as he is a good sailor, with Open 50 experience, as well.

We deal in lead, friend.
post #5784 of 6763 Old 01-22-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Solo and short crewed racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
By one of those odd coincidences, I have had occasion to race on one of the M.A.T Mini 6.50's:

M.A.T. Sailing Yachts - M.A.T. 6.5

More specifically, I have sailed on several occasions on the former CAN 415, when it was based in British Columbia, including the Swiftsure Race in 2006. What's rather funny is that I knew it was built in Turkey but didn't realize it was built at M.A.T until today. Great boat, albeit with rudder issues that took a long time to sort out - indeed, not sure they were ever sorted.

Boat also did the Around-Vancouver-Island Race, I think in 2004 or 2005. The owner at that time had the goal of doing the Transat, but sponsorship money never came together as planned. Pity, as he is a good sailor, with Open 50 experience, as well.
That is really sad since the costs of solo racing on a mini is really small and the return big....I mean for the ones that follow the races and I guess the Americans don't.

Maybe that is changing but I guess it will take time in the US. In Great Britain, even with all conservatism regarding sailing they are changing fast and solo and short crew are becoming much more popular. The Vendee Globe is very big now also in GB and they are desperate to win it. Just look at this movie:

and it is not only in what regards open class boats and the Figaro class but also on IRC. As we all know the last Fastnet was won on compensated by a duo crew but maybe you have not noticed the number of duo crews. Have a look:

Sailing Results

and I bet that this year that percentage will increase again as has been increasing with each year.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-22-2014 at 07:37 PM.
post #5785 of 6763 Old 01-22-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Dusseldorf Messe 2014

A quick look:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5786 of 6763 Old 01-22-2014

Re: Solo and short crewed racing

Quote:
That is really sad since the costs of solo racing on a mini is really small and the return big....I mean for the ones that follow the races and I guess the Americans don't.

Maybe that is changing but I guess it will take time in the US. In Great Britain, even with all conservatism regarding sailing they are changing fast and solo and short crew are becoming much more popular. The Vendee Globe is very big now also in GB and they are desperate to win it. Just look at this movie:

and it is not only in what regards open class boats and the Figaro class but also on IRC. As we all know the last Fastnet was won on compensated by a duo crew but maybe you have not noticed the number of duo crews. Have a look:

Sailing Results

and I bet that this year that percentage will increase again as has been increasing with each year.

Regards

Paulo
There is nothing even remotely like Artemis Academy for solo sailing in the United States. Indeed, there's not much of anything for developing professional sailors, and precious little for developing amateurs, as well. Even U.S. Olympic Sailing is considered, in certain circles, to be something of a joke (as is U.S. Sailing, in general).

I am extremely impressed by the number of 2-handed entries in the last Fastnet. You are correct that I had no idea there were so many. And what impressed me the most was the Archambault 31 in 5th place. That is a tiny boat to be taking out to Fastnet Rock and back, but since there are not a few doing the TransQuadra, I suppose I should not be surprised.

BTW, are you actually attending Dusseldorf this year? If so, have you been able to take a first-hand look at the Seascape 27?

MrP

We deal in lead, friend.
post #5787 of 6763 Old 01-22-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Re: Solo and short crewed racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post

BTW, are you actually attending Dusseldorf this year? If so, have you been able to take a first-hand look at the Seascape 27?
MrP
I guess you missed this post some few days ago:

Quote:
Not me that have been today at the Dusseldorf Messe that was as good as usual, like the local beer at the AltStadt on that old brewery with an interior all in wood, that makes his own bear. One full day for the boats, two days for the brewery. The beer wins hands down

Tomorrow I will lunch in Kevelaer, a favorite small town with another fantastic brewery/restaurant (I had already dinned there) and it will be it for this year...
Yes I had a good look at the Seascape 27 (I even had taken two photos). The boat was next to the Saphire 27, this year's European boat of the year and also an incredibly fast boat. The difference was striking: One maximized to upwind sailing and lighter wind and the other for downwind sailing and stronger winds. Two ways of having very fast boats...but not on the same conditions

Regards

Paulo

post #5788 of 6763 Old 01-22-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Re: Winners of the 2014 European boat of the year award.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Well, there are few breweries with wooden interior... Uerige? Schumacher? Füchschen? Schlüssel? These are the most famous ones... The "Alt" in Altstadt has nothing to do with the Altbeer. Altstadt means old town while Alt in Altbeer comes from the latin word "altus" which means "high" and refers to the top fermentation (similar to bavarian beer) method. I am pretty sure Wikipedia is wrong here (even the german wiki).

Well, there are no surprises with the EYOTY: They always chose the most boring one...
Yes, I mean the first one, Uerige. I know what means Altstadt and what I said was that the Uerige is on the Altstadt

I love the typical beer from Dusseldorf (the dark bitter one) the one that is called elsewhere India Pale Ale, a funny name since it has nothing to do with the beer being made in India. In fact it is a British one but I doubt that would have come from British to Germany. How is that bear named there? They always ask me if I want the blond or the dark

I don't agree with you regarding them choosing always the more boring ones: Last year the performance cruiser was the Pogo 12.50 and the Luxury cruiser the Yt 13.98, the two most exciting yachts on each category.

I understand their choice and even agree with it but as I have said it seems to me that a category is missing, one that separates performance cruisers from top racers with cruising potential.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-22-2014 at 10:13 PM.
post #5789 of 6763 Old 01-23-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Morozov

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
yeah, interesting if true...
still - there is something not kosher with the traveler being screwed to the transom - how is that supposed to work on deep reaches?
the two winches on either side directly in front of the helm is also something not very practical, especially in this configuration where the inner winch is rendered useless because the linefeed is blocked by either the helm or the other winch...

and have a look at the interior - do you see any available space for a fridge?

i know these are just rough renders but it looks weird...

some images of the soler 35FC which is build at the moment:
Morozov Yachts: Soler-35 Fast Cruiser Hull No.1
That in fact is not a new brand but a kind of auto promotion based on a design series by Morozov, a Russian NA. He had been posting many designs on internet but his designs were not turned in reality many times. His more known and significant work (made real) has nothing new, a motorsailor, kind of "Fisher" style and Atoa, a high latitude sailboat,

not bad but pretty banal (underbody and hull) that took ages to sell and was announced for ages on the internet and magazines. I see also a huge motor yacht (that I didn't new off) and that seems nice.

Morozov Yachts custom yachts for unlimited cruising

Regarding the new Soler series, they are based on 40 class boats but with some oddities and some design that I really don't think it fits, like a 40class boat with a cat cabin that increases windage a lot. Those high cabins are needed on cats but not on monohulls and I don't understand why he uses them on those designs. Even for what he purposed he did not need to have a sopreminent cabin, look for instance for the RM line.

The only one that is actually being made is the 35 and regarding that one I find the hull design too fat on the middle section and as I said, the overall design ugly and out of proportion.

Morozov Yachts: SOLER-35 FC Fast Cruiser

Morozov Yachts: Soler-35 Fast Cruiser Hull No.1

Some of the other Morozov designs, some much more interesting than the Soler series appear now under the name of Teixido & Harrold (including the Soler) but his name never appears there????. I had saw some of those designs posted years ago under the name of Morozov. Take a looK:

teixido_/) harrold yacht design and engineering

Bottom point: some really nice designs (not the Soler) but no racing experience nor testing on those hulls so I would reserve my opinion about its effectiveness. Nice drawings means not necessarily efficient hulls but I would say that Morozov deserved a better chance to prove his ideas. Not so easy in Russia

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-23-2014 at 01:03 PM.
post #5790 of 6763 Old 01-23-2014

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
funny - the two tris on their record attempt are right now almost side by side...
22°03 N 24°19 E heading 209° doing 27.4 knts for sobedo
22°06 N 23°02 E heading 208° doing 23.2 knts for prince de bretagne as of 09:00 hrs today.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.