Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1257Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011
Bathurst NB

PeterSailer is on a distinguished road
I'm looking for more tradinional hull shape like the contessa26, alberg30,douglas32. I don't know what but something strange attracts me to that kind of boats. I guess I really like their under water lines.
Old 01-23-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Marieholm 33, Faurby 33, Nordborg 900, Halberg Rassy 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSailer View Post
Do you know of any small boat builder that builds more traditional sailboat?
Sure those light and super fast boat looks like a blast to sail but my thing is more cruising, and for cruising I would be better off with a sailboat with a nice full keel.

Sorry if this question as all ready been asked before, I don't really feel like reading all of the 70 pages...
Yes, it was asked before and the answer was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

Ben, regarding your question, the European ones that used to have full keels on the 70's and 80's, like Halberg Rassy or Malo, all moved up to some sort of fin keel, a more substantial one, if compared with faster cruising boats.

I can only remember an European brand that had proposed a new line of full keel cruisers. That was four years ago? and I never heard of them again. I don't know if they managed to make any boat, but I am quite sure they are out of business. They were nice looking boats, but heavy, slow and expensive. I Doubt that there is a market for that kind of boats.

There are some builders that still make old designs with a full keel, among them the 27 ft Vancouver (now 28ft). The bigger Vancouvers have already some sort of mix between a full keel and a Fin.

Vancouver 28

But the one I really like (I want one of those when I am really old ) is the Marieholm 33. It is still made and it is an incredible beautiful boat. I have been inside of one and I can tell you that has one wonderful interior, really cozy. One of the nicest I Have ever seen.

That's a boat that would make any sailor proud.

Skin

Take a look at the Video : M33 class

Marieholm | Zeiboot Friesland, motorboot Friesland, zeiljacht Friesland, motorjacht Friesland

And I would add that today a full keel on a new design would be an anachronism. Sure you can have more traditional cruisers, even classical ones and there are several of them in the market, but all with modern bulbed keels.

If you look at the thread you will find several cruisers that fit that criteria: the Morris, the Faurby and the Nordborg, all beautiful and all with a modern keel.

The only boats that are still made with full keel are old designs that have some very reduced (almost custom) production. There are not new designs with a full keel and by a good reason, they don't offer any advantage and have many disadvantages.

The Faurby has the 33, a lovely boat:
FAURBY 330

But I guess you would like more the Nordborg 900, or the 32
Nordborg Baadebyggeri A/S - Die Yacht Nordborg 900 -

Halberg Rassy has a nice 31ft:
Hallberg-Rassy, Sweden

The real problem is that these kind of boats are expensive to made and for the price of one of these you can buy a 36ft (or bigger) from any of the big mass production boat companies. For a similar seaworthiness you will have a lot more space and more speed.

That's the real reason why you don't find many nice seaworthy small cruisers. Sailors prefer to spend their money in a bigger boat.

(take a look at pages 41, 42 and 43)

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2011

Tofinou 12

Since we are talking about Classic boats I would like to show a favorite of mine: The Tofinou. They are all beautiful but the new one is the 12 (40ft) and that's the one I will post.

This boat is for the ones that love to sail and want a fast boat and a beautiful boat that will never grew old. Forever beautiful, its a hard thing to get

This one will suit the lovers of beauty and fast sailing that want a boat for weekends or short holidays, a week or so. After all this is the program of a lot of sailors.

Take a look at pure beauty, at least for the eyes of a sailor

Latitude 46

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
For what she is meant for that is one lovely boat. Old Phillipe S must be mellowing in his old age. Paulo, do you remember that thing he designed for Beneteau in the late seventies or early eighties ?

"Those who do not observe the impulses of their own mind must of necessity be unhappy." Marcus Aurelius
Old 01-23-2011
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

slap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

Paulo
I like that they have a nice padded back support for the helm.
Old 01-23-2011

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
For my taste I would call her perfect. Would it be wrong to describe her as a very handsome boat?
Old 01-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
..Old Phillipe S must be mellowing in his old age. Paulo, do you remember that thing he designed for Beneteau in the late seventies or early eighties ?
Have an idea. It was a strange thing But I have a big respect for the guy. Love lots of its designs and he lives well, with good taste. Do you know that he lives on Formentera and that his normal vehicle for going shopping or elsewhere is a hobie cat?

He designed one that seems that is going to be produced by hobie Europa. I am not sure if I like the functional aspect, but its certainly different. I am very curious to see one and reserve my opinion till that moment

http://www.hobie-cat.net/img/news/dp_hbystarck_gb.pdf

Regards

Paulo
Old 01-23-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Paulo,
We worked with a Spanish furniture maker in the late eighties who was the first furniture maker to use Stark designs. I've always liked his designs though some of them would be very hard to actually live with. As you say, he seems to live well with good taste which is somewhat unusual these days.
I knew that PS had a house in Barcelona but not Formentera. What a lovely island. Probably getting over developed now but when I went there a decade ago it was wonderful. Spanish style, elegent, fabulous bars and restaurants but still with a dash of counter culture.
Cheers
Andrew

ps - I do like the look of that Hobie.

"Those who do not observe the impulses of their own mind must of necessity be unhappy." Marcus Aurelius
Old 01-23-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
That E210 is a kewl looking boat for a trailer sailor! Looks like the motor goes thru the hull and belo ala a saildrive style, but pulls up with a flush bottom somehow? way kewl if it does that.

Hoping to get onboard a J409 at the Seattle show this week. If not, I'll get by the dealer to take a peak. It will be interesting to see the new design look and feel vs the older more recent and as far back as 25 yrs like my Arcadia.

Had a good weekend skiing, ala on snow skiing vs on liquid water!

Marty
Old 01-23-2011

Kenif is on a distinguished road
I have to agree that E210 looks fantastic and a obvious competitor for the Benny 21.7.
Is the E210 trailerable?

I know in Oz the Benny with tlr is about $120K however you can buy used for $80K.
Wonder what the E210 comes in at.

We have a boat show in Melbourne early Feb and the Elan dealer is based at our yacht Club so I might just ask the question.

The problem with this thread is all of the great boats on the market.
I am committed to buying a boat and now I am trying to sort out which one.
I'm not sure this thread contributes or confuses!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.