Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: European boat of the year 2014 - Beneteau Oceanis 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
More important than to know that the boat was choosen is to know why it was chosen...
I think I know why the boat was chosen. It is obvious from the second video of the two Paulo posted. And Beneteau marketing is very clever, in this respect. The reason someone will buy this boat is because, as the video makes clear, if you own a new Beneteau Oceanis 38 you are going to have a lot of great sex with a beautiful woman/man, in totally exotic places and in complete comfort. And it will all be totally effortless.

By the end of the video, I was ready to buy one. However, the sailaway price needs to include Justine Mettraux.
Old 01-22-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
I think I know why the boat was chosen. It is obvious from the second video of the two Paulo posted. And Beneteau marketing is very clever, in this respect. The reason someone will buy this boat is because, as the video makes clear, if you own a new Beneteau Oceanis 38 you are going to have a lot of great sex with a beautiful woman/man, in totally exotic places and in complete comfort. And it will all be totally effortless.

By the end of the video, I was ready to buy one. However, the sailaway price needs to include Justine Mettraux.
Yes Justine is a sexy girl but it would also out perform you sailing and that could be a little embarrassing to that kind of macho personality

No, the reason the Oceanis was chosen was because it has a nice setting for a sexy holidays (or a family one) and besides that it sails well.

I know you don't cruise but when you do you will find out that it is not only about sailing but also about enjoying living aboard and in what regards both worlds the Oceanis seems very well suited to me...sure it will attract much more chicks or wives than a stripped out faster cruiser racer but that is not a bad thing, quite the contrary.

Regards

Paulo
MrPelicano and Sapwraia like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to PCP For This Useful Post:
MrPelicano (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014

Quote:
Yes Justine is a sexy girl but it would also out perform you sailing and that could be a little embarrassing to that kind of macho personality

No, the reason the Oceanis was chosen was because it has a nice setting for a sexy holidays (or a family one) and besides that it sails well.

I know you don't cruise but when you do you will find out that it is not only about sailing but also about enjoying living aboard and in what regards both worlds the Oceanis seems very well suited to me...sure it will attract much more chicks or wives than a stripped out faster cruiser racer but that is not a bad thing, quite the contrary.

Regards

Paulo
I am afraid I must agree with every point you make. But it is painful to do so.
Old 01-22-2014

Mat 12.45

Well as a prize of agreeing so much have a look at the redesigned MAT 12 (Mills) now MAT 12.45:

M.A.T. Sailing Yachts - New MAT 1245 features 1 start

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2014

Re: Mat 12.45

Quote:
Well as a prize of agreeing so much have a look at the redesigned MAT 12 (Mills) now MAT 12.45:
Uncanny! I was at this exact moment looking at the MAT boats and wondering if they were too "performance" oriented to pass the "cruiser" test. Now I am afraid you know me far too well.
Old 01-22-2014

Re: Mat 12.45

Quote:
Well as a prize of agreeing so much have a look at the redesigned MAT 12 (Mills) now MAT 12.45
Now this is what I'm talking about, when it comes to good crew work and strong hiking. These guys are giving a very good effort upwind (and apparently going quite fast - they roll right over 41 early after the start in video #1).

The downwind parts remind me how much I disliked flying the A-sails off a regular spi pole - gybing is a pain in the buttocks for the bowman. I did bow on a 52' and a 50' that both had that set-up (also had to deal with it on the Farr/Mumm 30, but those kites and pole were smaller and lighter). Fortunately, the 52 switched to an IRC-optimized fixed sprit the next season, making me a happy camper.

Really nice looking boat, that I'm sure is way out of my price range. I'm guessing even more expensive than the Dehler 46 that Paulo has now got me captivated by.
Old 01-22-2014

More on M.A.T - the 6.5

By one of those odd coincidences, I have had occasion to race on one of the M.A.T Mini 6.50's:

M.A.T. Sailing Yachts - M.A.T. 6.5

More specifically, I have sailed on several occasions on the former CAN 415, when it was based in British Columbia, including the Swiftsure Race in 2006. What's rather funny is that I knew it was built in Turkey but didn't realize it was built at M.A.T until today. Great boat, albeit with rudder issues that took a long time to sort out - indeed, not sure they were ever sorted.

Boat also did the Around-Vancouver-Island Race, I think in 2004 or 2005. The owner at that time had the goal of doing the Transat, but sponsorship money never came together as planned. Pity, as he is a good sailor, with Open 50 experience, as well.
Old 01-22-2014

Solo and short crewed racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
By one of those odd coincidences, I have had occasion to race on one of the M.A.T Mini 6.50's:

M.A.T. Sailing Yachts - M.A.T. 6.5

More specifically, I have sailed on several occasions on the former CAN 415, when it was based in British Columbia, including the Swiftsure Race in 2006. What's rather funny is that I knew it was built in Turkey but didn't realize it was built at M.A.T until today. Great boat, albeit with rudder issues that took a long time to sort out - indeed, not sure they were ever sorted.

Boat also did the Around-Vancouver-Island Race, I think in 2004 or 2005. The owner at that time had the goal of doing the Transat, but sponsorship money never came together as planned. Pity, as he is a good sailor, with Open 50 experience, as well.
That is really sad since the costs of solo racing on a mini is really small and the return big....I mean for the ones that follow the races and I guess the Americans don't.

Maybe that is changing but I guess it will take time in the US. In Great Britain, even with all conservatism regarding sailing they are changing fast and solo and short crew are becoming much more popular. The Vendee Globe is very big now also in GB and they are desperate to win it. Just look at this movie:

and it is not only in what regards open class boats and the Figaro class but also on IRC. As we all know the last Fastnet was won on compensated by a duo crew but maybe you have not noticed the number of duo crews. Have a look:

Sailing Results

and I bet that this year that percentage will increase again as has been increasing with each year.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-22-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2014

Dusseldorf Messe 2014

A quick look:

Old 01-22-2014

Re: Solo and short crewed racing

Quote:
That is really sad since the costs of solo racing on a mini is really small and the return big....I mean for the ones that follow the races and I guess the Americans don't.

Maybe that is changing but I guess it will take time in the US. In Great Britain, even with all conservatism regarding sailing they are changing fast and solo and short crew are becoming much more popular. The Vendee Globe is very big now also in GB and they are desperate to win it. Just look at this movie:

and it is not only in what regards open class boats and the Figaro class but also on IRC. As we all know the last Fastnet was won on compensated by a duo crew but maybe you have not noticed the number of duo crews. Have a look:

Sailing Results

and I bet that this year that percentage will increase again as has been increasing with each year.

Regards

Paulo
There is nothing even remotely like Artemis Academy for solo sailing in the United States. Indeed, there's not much of anything for developing professional sailors, and precious little for developing amateurs, as well. Even U.S. Olympic Sailing is considered, in certain circles, to be something of a joke (as is U.S. Sailing, in general).

I am extremely impressed by the number of 2-handed entries in the last Fastnet. You are correct that I had no idea there were so many. And what impressed me the most was the Archambault 31 in 5th place. That is a tiny boat to be taking out to Fastnet Rock and back, but since there are not a few doing the TransQuadra, I suppose I should not be surprised.

BTW, are you actually attending Dusseldorf this year? If so, have you been able to take a first-hand look at the Seascape 27?

MrP

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.