Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2014

robelz is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I think you are being too harsh with Robelz's post. I implied he was talking about boats with the same weight and as a generic generalization it does not seemed that bad to me.

Yes, we can say that generically a narrow boat needs more ballast or more draft or a much more efficient keel to compensate the superior stability given by the hull form stability of a beamier boat, if both boats have about the same displacement and speed.

For understanding your comments and since you have given your boat as a reference it is useful to know what boat you sail. What is your boat?

Regards

Paulo
I could have written a book with 300 pages but wanted to give a short overview. Of course a lighter boat will in most times be faster than a heavier boat, a racer should poind higher than a cruiser, a carbon/kevlar sail will be more effective in any regards than one made of dacron...

Taken into consideration he asked for a passagemaker I think I got the most important points.
EricKLYC likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
New 24 hours solo sailing record

and it goes for a sailor on its 1st year on multihull at top level, Armel Le Cléac'h on Banque Populaire with an average of 28.2K and 677nm.

Second record on a row. Here on the last one, the Med record:

Let see if he can beat also the record of the "Route de la Découverte"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2014

Thomas Coville circumnavigation record attempt

And Coville keeps pushing trying to recover the delay. Can imagine going like this for weeks?

Sodebo - Tour du Monde 2014: Ambiance "humide... por sodebo-voile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2014

Osprey 26 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all who put effort and explained. Every bit helped.
Probably got confused by watching lot of videos, and not sailing enough on different type sailboats. Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2014

Salona 33 IBC

One of the most beautiful boats on Dusseldorf was a small one, a Salona 33IBC, the top cruising-racing version of Salona and racing is only because the boat can do very well in ORC because the interior exudes class and certainly will be very comfortable for cruising (2 cabin version with a big and deep cockpit locker).

Never had saw a IBC version and I have to say that I was impressed more than with the performance aspects with the quality of finish: Almost luxurious.

The boat comes normally with a torpedo keel but on its top performance version it has a keel for IRC and another one to ORC. It seems that this strange one (it is just a big foil) is maximized for IRC. The keel is a composite one, with a steel structure and the bottom in lead. It was designed by Ker so I am sure it is efficient. It is an epoxy vacuum infused hull with carbon spars, carbon bulkheads and lots of carbon parts.

They don't give the weight of the IBC version but it will be certainly several hundreds kg lighter than the standard version that weights 4950kg.

And some great news regarding US sailors: Salona is back to the US. I think it was Edward that had already posted about that, well he was right and it seems that the new importer is trying hard since on the Miami boat show will be 3 boats. The 33, a 44 and most of all a 38 IBC version. Probably that means that some of those boats, specially the IBC version are already sold and as it is a top version probably it will be raced. I hope it goes to the hands of a good team. That boat had already showed a lot of potential.

bjung and bobperry like this.

Last edited by PCP; 01-31-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-27-2014

opc11 is on a distinguished road
Re: The thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
This thread is becoming too big and the search engine is pretty useless. For many this is a thread where sailors go back looking for references, opinions and facts about boats. For make it more useful I decided to take away irrelevantl posts from it.

I have already started deleting some of mine and I talked with Faster to see if he could help because I could delete my posts but i cannot delete other posts posted by other members related with the ones I am deleting. So if nobody opposes I will ask Faster to delete irrelevant posts to make the content of the thread more dense and easy to search.

Paulo, I'm busy catching up as you can tell but I would suggest separating the racing/rally discussions into a different thread and you might consider putting the prototype/experimental's into the race thread or another thread. just a thought.

I'm quite grateful for the contributions made by you and so many others.

ps- REALLY like that Garcia Exploration 45. Wonder what the price tag on that is. Anyone know? ....wish they came out with one 4-5ft smaller too.
Old 01-27-2014

robelz is on a distinguished road

I hated this Ker-keel: Not efficient, but fast to its rating. That is exactly what I hate in rating systems..
PCP likes this.
Old 01-27-2014

Re: The thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
Paulo, I'm busy catching up as you can tell but I would suggest separating the racing/rally discussions into a different thread and you might consider putting the prototype/experimental's into the race thread or another thread. just a thought.

I'm quite grateful for the contributions made by you and so many others.

ps- REALLY like that Garcia Exploration 45. Wonder what the price tag on that is. Anyone know? ....wish they came out with one 4-5ft smaller too.
I tried to put titles in all posts to make it easy the search on the thread search engine but making several posts is just too much work.

Regards

Paulo

Old 01-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
I hated this Ker-keel: Not efficient, but fast to its rating. That is exactly what I hate in rating systems..
I agree. The good thing is that is not the standard keel that is the more efficient one and gives more RM, an elongated torpedo one. It is not the boat that is wrong but the ratting system.

It is ridiculous to have three different keels, one for IRC, other for ORCI and another for offshore races or general uses as it is stupid that the more efficient one is the standard one and not the racing ones

It is not the only boat with several keels. top racers have to have them. It happens the same with the Archambault or JPK: several keels, each one for a given rating system and on the A boats it is even worse since the standard keel is not the torpedo one but one without bulb, like the one on that Salona.

They talked into merging the two rating systems but the installed interests seem too big. ORCI has made steps in the right direction, working with the main racing NA and contrary to IRC is an open formula.

Regards

Paulo

Old 01-27-2014

Sirius 40DS

The Sirius started to be a small German family shipyard (it still is) that designed and built their own boats. The finish and built was truly outstanding as well as the interior concepts but the hulls were not designed by a top Na and that showed in performance. All that changed some years ago and now they work with Marc-Oliver von Ahlen, a talented NA that we had spoken here about the new SQ25, posted by Robelz, one of the most interesting pocket cruisers around.

Yachtdesign v.Ahlen

Now the boats have not only incredibly interiors as they sail well, offering all possible keel configurations.

It is not only me that find them fantastic. The press said about the 35DS:

“Is this the best boat ever built?” “Perfection in 35 feet.” “…most impressive cruiser we’ve ever tested.” “I am convinced that I have met the perfect cruiser.” “…one of the most painstakingly designed and built semi-custom yachts in the world…” “The deck saloon principle knows no better exponent.” “It’s the highest score we’ve ever awarded, by some distance, and it reflects the wealth of ideas, craftsmanship and pride built into this extraordinary yacht .... As a custom-built, luxury cruising yacht, you’d struggle to match her. 93 out of 100 Points!”
“... 5-star ambience.” “... a miracle of space.” “The central cabin… if I could give 11/10 scores, I would.” “the most salubrious heads we’ve ever seen… looks like it belongs in the “The Ritz”.” “…as individual and exiting as a mega yacht.”

Before you jump to buy one let me tell you that the price is accordingly with the quality and that means very high They sell boats to everywhere in the world, to the ones that want a small boat but maximum comfort and build quality and have the money for it.

Their 38 was the only one in the line still "in house" designed and it is going to re replaced by a 40ft designed by Marc-Oliver. It seems that this one will even have a better performance since it has a "performance" version. When I am old enough I want one of these, that's for sure

The dimensions:

LOA 11.99 m....LWL 11.17 m.....Beam (Hull) 4.00 m ..Draft 2.10/2.00 m/ 1.75m / 1.50 m m....Twin keel 1.40 m....Swing keel 1.00 – 2.40m

Ballast approx. 3.40 t ....Weight approx.10.5/11.60 t.....Mast height above water 18.50 m

Mainsail 45.3 m2...Self-tacking jib.. 32.2 m2...Genoa I 60.4 m2 Spi 140.0 m2....Furling Gennaker 95.0 m2..Furling Drifter 75.0 m2

Performance rigg with 20% more sail area.

Normally they have a cutter rig so they will carry the genoa and the jib at all times and that means on the performance version an upwind sail area of about 126m2 and that for 10.5T is not bad, I would say that is going to be a pretty fast cruiser, if one chose the performance version. Have a look:

Just to have a feeling about what I am talking about have a look at the 35ds interior and just imagine it a lot bigger.

Sirius-Werft Plön | Cockpit/Saloon | 35 DS Cockpit/Saloon

Sirius-Werft Plön | Saloon | 35 DS Saloon

Sirius-Werft Plön | Owner´s cabin/Head/Shower | 35 DS Owner´s cabin/Head/Shower

Sirius-Werft Plön | Forecabin/Head | 35 DS Forecabin/Head

Sirius-Werft Plön | Technic Room | 35 DS Technic Room

Last edited by PCP; 01-27-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.