Full size kitchen on starboard side
Additional seat between kitchen and kitchen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 6763 Old 01-27-2014

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
A Drifter is a lightweight nylon No. 1 genoa and it is mostly a cruising sail while the code 0 was developed for solo racers and it is a bigger sail. They are used for the same range of wind (till 15K) and normally used from 45º to 90 degrees. The drifter polled out can also be used for downwind sailing.

Hi Paulo,
I even think the angle is wider than 90. Look at this promotional video of North Sails. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CHh0ySn...autoplay%253D1

I tried a furling Code 1 by Elvstrom on the Luffe 37 in very light wind conditions and it was amazingly efficient upwind. I did not try it poled out but like you Oluf said this can be done. I ordered one for my Luffe which will be ready in a couple of months or earlier. I skipped the spinnaker, since most of the time I will sail solo and am sceptical of my ability to handle it myself together with the Amin and the steering on that kind of boat.

Regards

Rumen

Last edited by Faster; 01-27-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: fixed quote
post #5853 of 6763 Old 01-27-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by olianta View Post
Quote:
A Drifter is a lightweight nylon No. 1 genoa and it is mostly a cruising sail while the code 0 was developed for solo racers and it is a bigger sail. They are used for the same range of wind (till 15K) and normally used from 45º to 90 degrees. The drifter polled out can also be used for downwind sailing.

Hi Paulo,
I even think the angle is wider than 90. Look at this promotional video of North Sails. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CHh0ySn...autoplay%253D1

I tried a furling Code 1 by Elvstrom on the Luffe 37 in very light wind conditions and it was amazingly efficient upwind. I did not try it poled out but like you Oluf said this can be done. I ordered one for my Luffe which will be ready in a couple of months or earlier. I skipped the spinnaker, since most of the time I will sail solo and am sceptical of my ability to handle it myself together with the Amin and the steering on that kind of boat.

Regards

Rumen
Hi, nice to hear from you...and I want to see photos of your new boat and I believe I will not be the only one.

Those angles are only the ones were the sail has better efficiency. I had a Code 0 and it was a fantastic sail for light wind. I don't know what is the sail configuration you are going to use and I don't know if a code 0 would not be more useful than a code1, maybe. Ask Oluf, he will know.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5854 of 6763 Old 01-27-2014

[quote=PCP;1348921]Hi, nice to hear from you...and I want to see photos of your new boat and I believe I will not be the only one.
I don't know what is the sail configuration you are going to use and I don't know if a code 0 would not be more useful than a code1, maybe. Ask Oluf, he will know.

Regards

The boat is not ready yet. Hull and deck have been molded by means of vacuum infused technology with epoxy and balsa core. Here is the link: The Switch to Closed Molding - Professional BoatBuilder Magazine
I was at the boat yard in late November and talked to one of the workers. He said the stiffness is much better than that of previous GRP polyester hand laid hulls and decks.*
Because I wanted a selftacking jib in order not to undersize it a lot, Oluf moved the mast back a little and now the total sail plan is 49 sq.m. (25 main and 24 jib) instead of the standard 51 sq.m. (26 main and 25 overlapping jib), thus the balance remains the same. Besides, after weighing the pros against the price increase, I opted for a carbon fibre mast and boom instead of the standard aluminium as per my initial order. The manufacturer is Southern Spars. Well, I hope I will save money from other non-boat related things.
Regards
Rumen

Last edited by olianta; 01-28-2014 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Erroneous quote
post #5855 of 6763 Old 01-27-2014

Paulo, Sorry, the first part of my previous post is within your quote.
post #5856 of 6763 Old 01-27-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Rm 1600

Unbelievable, Rm wants to make yachts A brand that for many years made only small boats (the 1200 has not many years) goes for the big ones. I hope that, like many, it will not abandon its origins and the small cruisers.

And for now, what I can say is that the 1600 looks like a yacht...and a nice one

HMoll likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5857 of 6763 Old 01-27-2014
Just another Moderator

Quote:
That's easy to modify. Click in edit and put this

at the end of my quote, after the word "sailing".

Regards

Paulo
I beat him to it

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
PCP (01-27-2014)
post #5858 of 6763 Old 01-27-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Class 9.50

I believe I never talked here about this class, that till now has been a bit of a flop even if the boats are very interesting and besides being a very interesting platform for a performance cruiser.

"Since 2008, there are some boats on the water that are not Mini 650, that are smaller than 40class racers, the Class 9.50.

The class was born in 2007. The first boats were launched quickly, the 950 Akilaria designed by Marc Lombard and built by the shipyard "Mc Tec", the Tip Top 950 designed by Sam Manuard and built by "Naval Force 3" and finished by Sails All Purpose, the St Mandrier and 950 Fox designed by Charles Bertrand.

After years of sailing and testing, the 950 class racers are unanimously considered a lively and very seaworthy boat, with maximum fun for a minimum budget.

Today, CLASSE950 has 14 boats ready to race, 3 boats will be launched soon."

Classe 9.50

But the class never really took off and the races are mostly IRC races or races with the minis. Don't know why the class never picked up and certainly these are not boats competitive in IRC races. These are solo racers designed for transats and downwind sailing but they don't have any transat on their calendar. Why not make them part of the mini transat as a separated class?

Anyway an interesting boat, far more easy to sail than a class 40, faster and more seaworthy than a mini racer. Some movies:

Last edited by PCP; 01-27-2014 at 08:26 PM.
post #5859 of 6763 Old 01-27-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

New, New 24 hours absolute solo sailing record

Quote:
and it goes for a sailor on its 1st year on multihull at top level, Armel Le Cléac'h on Banque Populaire with an average of 28.2K and 677nm.

and again, Le Cléac'h unstoppable, beat his brand new 24 hour absolute solo record doing 682 nautical miles in 24 hours with an average of 28.4k. Incredible!!!!! What a bullet!!.

post #5860 of 6763 Old 01-28-2014

Lemonchois capsized with "Prince de Bretagne" so Joyon will keep his record... Meanwhile Coville parks in the doldrums and is 400 miles behind the record.
PCP likes this.

Last edited by robelz; 01-28-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.