Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
That's easy to modify. Click in edit and put this

at the end of my quote, after the word "sailing".

Regards

Paulo
I beat him to it

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
PCP (01-27-2014)
Old 01-27-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Class 9.50

I believe I never talked here about this class, that till now has been a bit of a flop even if the boats are very interesting and besides being a very interesting platform for a performance cruiser.

"Since 2008, there are some boats on the water that are not Mini 650, that are smaller than 40class racers, the Class 9.50.

The class was born in 2007. The first boats were launched quickly, the 950 Akilaria designed by Marc Lombard and built by the shipyard "Mc Tec", the Tip Top 950 designed by Sam Manuard and built by "Naval Force 3" and finished by Sails All Purpose, the St Mandrier and 950 Fox designed by Charles Bertrand.

After years of sailing and testing, the 950 class racers are unanimously considered a lively and very seaworthy boat, with maximum fun for a minimum budget.

Today, CLASSE950 has 14 boats ready to race, 3 boats will be launched soon."

Classe 9.50

But the class never really took off and the races are mostly IRC races or races with the minis. Don't know why the class never picked up and certainly these are not boats competitive in IRC races. These are solo racers designed for transats and downwind sailing but they don't have any transat on their calendar. Why not make them part of the mini transat as a separated class?

Anyway an interesting boat, far more easy to sail than a class 40, faster and more seaworthy than a mini racer. Some movies:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-27-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2014

New, New 24 hours absolute solo sailing record

Quote:
and it goes for a sailor on its 1st year on multihull at top level, Armel Le Cléac'h on Banque Populaire with an average of 28.2K and 677nm.

and again, Le Cléac'h unstoppable, beat his brand new 24 hour absolute solo record doing 682 nautical miles in 24 hours with an average of 28.4k. Incredible!!!!! What a bullet!!.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2014

robelz is on a distinguished road

Lemonchois capsized with "Prince de Bretagne" so Joyon will keep his record... Meanwhile Coville parks in the doldrums and is 400 miles behind the record.
PCP likes this.

Last edited by robelz; 01-28-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Lemonchois capsized with "Prince de Bretagne" so Joyon will keep his record... Meanwhile Coville parks in the doldrums and is 400 miles behind the record.
"On Monday afternoon, at precisely 3:57pm, Lionel Lemonchois manually triggered the distress beacon of his 80-foot maxi trimaran Prince de Bretagne.

He had started his 11th day at sea, trying to break the Mauricienne record, from Port-Louis in Brittany to Port-Louis, the capital of Mauritius. When the beacon was triggered the trimaran was approximately 800 miles off the Brazilian coast, at the latitude of Rio de Janeiro, sailing under a southeasterly breeze between 16 and 18 knots.

Following the activation of the emergency beacon, the Prince de Bretagne shore crew in France was unable to get in contact with Lemonchois. However, early in the evening, the French sailor called his team to inform them that the trimaran had capsized. He was sound and safe inside the boat’s central hull but was forced to to cut her rigging."

Prince de Bretagne trimaran capsized; Lionel Lemonchois safe inside central hull | VSail.info

It scares the hell out of me to think how a solo sailor can not only dominate a monster like that 80ft trimaran as well as punch it to a record. It seems that goes not without risks. I know that this frontier land, pushing the limits to sail bigger and faster as a huge positive reflex on the development of systems that make sail and boat control easier, systems that have an almost direct application on cruising boats but I wonder till where they will go?

I suspect that it was not the record itself that led him to push too much but the successive 24 hours records from Armel on Banque Populaire. Probably he was trying for the 24 hours solo absolute record and that is really going on the limit...and with a monster like that is playing at Russian roulette. The wind was only 18k so he should wave full sails when the boat capsized. That can also indicate a technical failure or problem with the boat.

A French support team is organizing a towing operation from Brasil. It is going to take time but Lemonchois, except for an hurt hand, is safe is in the central hull and has plenty of food and water.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-28-2014 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Lemonchois capsized with "Prince de Bretagne"
Old 01-28-2014

Sly 43

We had already talked about the boat, now a video. Love the boat, hate the color

Old 01-28-2014

capt vimes is on a distinguished road
Re: Class 9.50

Quote:
Classe 9.50

But the class never really took off and the races are mostly IRC races or races with the minis. Don't know why the class never picked up ...
if this is the official site, there is no wonder that it never picked up...
a .com domain and only available in french?
come on - they cannot be serious or do the french really still think, that french is an international language everybody HAS to speak?
Old 01-28-2014

olianta is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
What is your opinion of these rectangular portholes in the hull (I refer to the Sly 43 video). They look trendy from outside but do they not compromise hull stiffness and thickness? Are they not susceptible to outside damage from docks or other boat hulls despite fenders. I have not been inside such a boat but IMHO there is not much gain in light from such portholes near the water or may be someone will enjoy looking the water from the leeward side.
Regards
Rumen
Old 01-28-2014

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

OK, so this isn't your typical daysailer but I was really taken with some of the ideas in this boat. Now all I need is a winning lottery ticket...

Sizzler: Flush-Deck Speedster

Boating Lone Wolf

PCP and DiasDePlaya like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 01-28-2014

Sizzler Speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
OK, so this isn't your typical daysailer but I was really taken with some of the ideas in this boat. Now all I need is a winning lottery ticket...

Boating Lone Wolf
It looks very well, not very different in spirit from some Italian big daysailers an built for the same purpose: the simple pleasure of sailing. Being designed by a Portuguese Na, I am pretty sure it sails well. Seriously, Tony Castro is a great NA and I am sure the boat is not only beautiful as it is very fast.

I like everything except the ridiculous amount of space taken by the automatic devices to make the boat button sailing. The boats has not obviously the space for those systems that require a bigger yacht, but as the client as always reason and since it was what he wanted. Even so it is a crime regarding that beautiful interior:

Regards

Paulo
DiasDePlaya likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 01-28-2014 at 10:53 AM.