Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Elan 350 Boat of the year

As probably you all know, the Elan 350 was ellected the European performance cruiser of the year.

It is interesting to look at the jury comments on the boat:

'Performance levels were incredibly high this year. This made our decision very difficult in some cases,' said YACHT editor-in-chief Jochen Rieker, summarizing the current results. 'We were also impressed with the level of innovation shown by the boat builders and by their readiness to adapt elements from the regatta scene, for example,' added the yachting expert.

In fact several jury members voiced that the 350 is the production sailing yacht they would have chosen if they were buying their boat today. Judges Toby Hodges and Matthew Sheahan from Yachting World's review also had much praise and not at all surprising when Hodges has extolled, 'I can’t remember when I’ve had this much fun afloat before! …… Talk about a boat coming alive on the water. .....

They found the 350 steering direct and responsive and the boat a pleasure to sail, pushed hard the boat can do much more than what most people would dare to - just like a sports car. This boat is easy to handle, even under tough conditions.

It was agreed that the Elan 350 is the right boat if you are looking for a boat that balances between good sailing characteristics and covers the practical considerations for cruising, stating that there are a number of manufacturers that claim to offer this, but few deliver.

While the Dutch judge, Briek Waterkampioen, also writes he would like to own an Elan 350 – 'The boat combines the properties and what you need for cruising in a perfect way, 'says Briek.

Interior design style does not appeal to everyone; light wood, dark floorboards and sharp corners provides a modern atmosphere, but also there are conservatives in the mix that miss Elan’s old mahogany furniture, 'says Curt Gélinas from Båtnytt.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2011
Bathurst NB

PeterSailer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And I would add that today a full keel on a new design would be an anachronism. Sure you can have more traditional cruisers, even classical ones and there are several of them in the market, but all with modern bulbed keels.
I guess that i'm gonna have to stick with good old boats...
Old 01-24-2011
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

slap is on a distinguished road
About the Elan 350:

"and sharp corners provides a modern atmosphere,"

I know that my body has a way of finding any sharp corners on a boat. I also know that sharp corners do not wear well - they tend to chip or break. I suppose that it is alot cheaper to make the sharp corners than to have more rounded shapes, but it doesn't make a good safe interior.
Old 01-24-2011

myocean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSailer View Post
Can you explain why e.g. An Elan 350 ore one with a more stylish finish would not be your choice? What makes the old boats so appealing?
Ulf
Old 01-24-2011
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

Quote:
There are still a few builders, such as Cape George Cutters and Hans Christian, but the market is small and will probably stay that way. Of course, you could always have a custom boat built.
Old 01-24-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The woodwork and gelcoat sure is pretty, but the design sucks... those lines for the self-tacking jib are going to wear the gelcoat there really quickly. They don't lead fair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-24-2011
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

Here is a link to the European yacht of the year article on Yachting World, with comments from the judges.

Elan 350 - Performance Cruiser

Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - Family Cruiser

XC38 - Luxury Cruiser

Saffier 23 - Special Yacht

European Yachts of the Year 2010/11 | Yacht News | Yachting World
Old 01-24-2011
Bathurst NB

PeterSailer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As probably you are going to find that "good old boat" on the used market, I think you will find this list interesting:

Atom Voyages | Voyages Aboard the Sailboat Atom -* Good Old Boats List - choosing a* small voyaging sailboat
I all ready have that list on my desk top
I'm never gonna buy a cape george cutter, their simply too costy...It would be the same thing to have a Vancouver build, just too costy for me.

Quote:
Can you explain why e.g. An Elan 350 ore one with a more stylish finish would not be your choice? What makes the old boats so appealing?
Edit: I dont care if it's stylish or not, I want a practical sailboat.

I don't know... Some man really like wooden boat and can't imagine having a fiber glass one. Same thing for me, I like full keels with low beam, low freeboard,low center of gavtity, and a good V-hull shape.I just don't like those super beamy sailboats with flats under water hull that are pounding when you go up wind.

Now I know that that makes the boat slower, more tender, harder to reverse and they have less storage space, but for me thats not important. I want a boat that feel solid and that is made to take the sea, some thing heavy, not some thing that is made to be as light as possible.

I didn't post this to bash down modern sailboat, I know that they are the norm and that older design are the minority... I simply ask if there was any new old style sailboat being made.

I now that modern sailbat can be fun, I sailed a Gomen express 20 once ( modern for me ) and it was a real blast. But for what I want to do, I want an older design.

Last edited by PeterSailer; 01-24-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-24-2011
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

Petersailer -

Sailing is a slow, wet, expensive, time consuming activity that doesn't make any sense. So one's choice in boats does not have to make sense, either. It just has to make you happy.

Speaking of older classic designs, I understand that Valiant Yachts is no longer going to build new boats.
Old 01-24-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I don't know... Some man really like wooden boat and can't imagine having a fiber glass one. Same thing for me, I like full keels with low beam, low freeboard,low center of gavtity, and a good V-hull shape.I just don't like those super beamy sailboats with flats under water hull that are pounding when you go up wind.

Now I know that that makes the boat slower, more tender, harder to reverse and they have less storage space, but for me thats not important. I want a boat that feel solid and that is made to take the sea, some thing heavy, not some thing that is made to be as light as possible.

I didn't post this to bash down modern sailboat, I know that they are the norm and that older design are the minority... I simply ask if there was any new old style sailboat being made.

I agree with what you say, with the exceptions that above are in bold.

The boat MyOcean was given you as an example, the Elan 350 has a low freeboard and a lower center of gravity than most full keelers.

The Elan 350 is made to take the sea. It will be one of the more popular boats on the most popular amateur solo and duo transat. I am almost sure the boat was designed taking into account the characteristics needed for that race (seaworthiness, easy to handle, fast).

I will gladly accept that you prefer classic shapes ( I have a soft spot for those also) but the assumption that an heavy boat with a full keel is the only way to have seaworthiness is wrong.

In what regards stability a heavy boat will a full keel will rely mostly in static stability while a boat like the Elan 350 will rely not also on the static stability but mostly on the dynamic stability. When a capsizing wave hits the full keel boat almost all the force will be translated in a rotating movement (the big keel will prevent the boat to slide sideways). When the wave hit the low inertia light boat with a narrow keel, the boat will dissipate most of the energy sliding sideways.

Regards

Paulo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.