Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweareDeep View Post
The floorboards on the Sydney GTS43 at Dusseldorf were extraordinarily squeaky -- I'm not sure they would necessarily have turned out that squeaky even if someone had tried to make them squeaky! Squeaky floorboards are a pet peeve of mine.

I really went on the GTS43 though to get a different view of the Azuree 46 across from it (which happily passed my squeaky floorboard test).
Welcome to the thread and to sailnet

I confess that I did not noticed any squeaky floorboards on the Sydney GTS43. Maybe they were but sure If I had not noticed than I would have not be worried about that, I am not particularly annoyed with it. But certainly the ones on Azuree are heavier as well as everything, except ballast.

The Azuree are relatively light boats but are comparatively much more heavier than the Sydney, specially if we consider the much bigger B/D ratio of the Sydney. The Azuree 40 weights 7100kg, the 46 10700kg. the Sydney 43 weights 6950kg. You have to accept some compromises to have the weight and performance of a boat like the Sydney and slightly squeaky floorboards (if you say so) are not a bad compromise.

You cannot look to the Azuree the same way you look to the Sydney. They are not comparable boats nor they point to the same type of sailors or market. I find both great boats for what they are designed to do.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 01-31-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2014

Edward3 is on a distinguished road

Christopher Dragon is another Sydney GTS that raced down in Florida the past couple of weeks. A sweet lookin ride with it's low cut dog house, straight bow, long sprint...
Being a new boat the results didn't show. Probably in conservation mode during the Ft Lauderdale-Key West race they finished 5th, 2 hours behind the HPR Carkeek 40 and about 30 minutes faster than two Swan 42's. Better during the Key West Race Week they finished 4th against other 40' + Swans, J's, Ker and Mills boats.
Old 01-31-2014

SweareDeep is on a distinguished road

I certainly don't look at these two boats the same way, as I fully appreciate that they're aimed at different market segments. That said, I wasn't overly impressed by the fit and finish on the GTS43. Good fit and finish may add expense but needn't add weight.

But, as I said, I was on the GTS43 largely as a platform from which to view the Azuree 46 (they were adjacent at the show) and not in order to make a boat-to-boat comparison. I'm not (this time around) in the market for a primarily race boat.
Old 01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward3 View Post
Christopher Dragon is another Sydney GTS that raced down in Florida the past couple of weeks. A sweet lookin ride with it's low cut dog house, straight bow, long sprint...
Being a new boat the results didn't show. Probably in conservation mode during the Ft Lauderdale-Key West race they finished 5th, 2 hours behind the HPR Carkeek 40 and about 30 minutes faster than two Swan 42's. Better during the Key West Race Week they finished 4th against other 40' + Swans, J's, Ker and Mills boats.
As you know the Sydney GTS 43 can be raced fast in real time and in compensated. as you probably know this one:

Won two years ago the Sydney- Hobart overall and finished among the big boats leaving behind in real time many pure race boats.

They didn't enter this year's race and I was quite disappointed with that.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-31-2014

Bavaria 41s

Contrary to other mass market cruisers that offer performance versions the one from Bavaria is a more serious one with a lighter boat, a true deep lead keel (2.30) a bigger and better mast, Carbon spy pole and composite steering wheels, backstay adjuster more sail area, main sheet system with ball bearing cockpit traveler, genoa cars with trim line system, 6 cockpit winches (instead of 4 and bigger), removable cockpit table and an open transom. All sail hardware is of better quality.

The boat is used for serious racing in Germany, particularly the Match racing German leg of the World's championship. Here the previous boat, the 40s.

The keel is IRC optimized and the boat has a good rating. It can be an interesting option for someone that don't want to spend more on a performance cruiser but want a competitive boat that is also a great cruiser since the interior is the same.

As usual they are lousy at Bavaria in what regards information and we cannot have the weight of this boat. They give it as being heavier 260 kg regarding the cruiser when this boat has less ballast, has not the big swimming platform and has lighter components. A relatively heavy boat anyway.

The boat looks a lot nicer with the Open transom:

Last edited by PCP; 01-31-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2014

Cornish Crabber 26

These boats exist for so many years that once it was just the boat that I wanted to own...30 years ago. But a boat that lasts for so many years have to have its own charms, even considering that the British are among the most conservative sailors in the world.

Yes, they are not fast neither they point sharp but certainly they sail with style and that can be fun too; besides they have an incredibly nice interior for a 26ft boat. Don't miss this video, way better than the first and you will understand what I mean with charm: Look how the owner is enthusiastic about his boat, he loves it...a lot. The boat has its charms I tell you

Movie:

Eigenwilliger Englšnder Cornish Crabber 26 - Yacht TV - Segel Videos von Europas grŲŖtem Yacht Magazin

If you like them, there is only a problem: they are not cheap
donjuanluis likes this.

Old 02-01-2014

robelz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweareDeep View Post
I certainly don't look at these two boats the same way, as I fully appreciate that they're aimed at different market segments. That said, I wasn't overly impressed by the fit and finish on the GTS43. Good fit and finish may add expense but needn't add weight.
You shouldn't forget it was the famous "hull no. one" for Salona.
Old 02-01-2014

Morgan LagraviŤre at the helm of the new Safran - Vendťe Globe 2012-2013

New skipper and a new 'Safran' for the 2016 VG!
Old 02-01-2014

Morgan LagraviŤre

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
Who would have guessed? I believe that there are several more talented young sailors to promote directly to the top but who knows what is behind this "promotion" to the top ranks? His achievements are not impressive in what regards solo sailing. maybe they are seeing something I don't (they should know better) or maybe it is just not all about sailing.

Regards

Paulo

Old 02-01-2014