Interesting Sailboats - Page 596 - SailNet Community
 1269Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #5951 of 6763 Old 02-02-2014
Senior Member
 
MrPelicano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Western Connecticut, USA
Posts: 720
Thanks: 10
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Pelicano Missing In Action

Sorry I have been so quiet these last two weeks. After 10 years with the same firm, I resigned and took a job at different firm. I spent several weeks transitioning my old job to new people, then spent last week getting accustomed to my new job with new people.

One big challenge with the new job is that I am now having to commute from my house to the office. The first day I attempted to drive the 77km and it took 2.5 hours. So I resolved the next day to take the train. But when you factor in the 20 minute drive to the train station, the 70 minute train ride, and the 5 minute shuttle van ride from the train station to the office building, I am still looking at a very long round-trip commute each day. Previously, I have been working from my home every day.

Alas, there is no WiFi internet on the train, and my mobile reception is sketchy over a long stretch of the ride. So not really able to visit this thread going back and forth to work.

However, on the positive side, my office is right next to the water, along the harbour in Stamford, CT. So, of course, now I am thinking that perhaps the time to acquire the performance cruiser may be sooner rather than later, if I can figure out what to do during the winter months. I noticed that there are still quite a few boats in the water, despite the very cold weather (-10C to -20C some days), though the harbour has not frozen. But living aboard in those conditions would not be very much fun. Perhaps it is good enough to be able to live on the boat, near the office, from May until the end of November. Would save money in commuting and allow me to go sailing after work very easily, in summer.

For this reason, I am now looking very long and hard at the Elan 320 (not the 210) and trying to figure out if it's financially viable.

Anyway, I'll do my best to keep up here and contribute. It's my favorite site on the Web.

We deal in lead, friend.
MrPelicano is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5952 of 6763 Old 02-02-2014 Thread Starter
PCP
Senior Member
 
PCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,214
Thanks: 21
Thanked 105 Times in 88 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Pelicano Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
...
However, on the positive side, my office is right next to the water, along the harbour in Stamford, CT. So, of course, now I am thinking that perhaps the time to acquire the performance cruiser may be sooner rather than later, if I can figure out what to do during the winter months. I noticed that there are still quite a few boats in the water, despite the very cold weather (-10C to -20C some days), though the harbour has not frozen. But living aboard in those conditions would not be very much fun. Perhaps it is good enough to be able to live on the boat, near the office, from May until the end of November. Would save money in commuting and allow me to go sailing after work very easily, in summer.

For this reason, I am now looking very long and hard at the Elan 320 (not the 210) and trying to figure out if it's financially viable.

Anyway, I'll do my best to keep up here and contribute. It's my favorite site on the Web.
So good news. You have a ELan Dealer and a Salona dealer on the States.
I don't know if you had saw the recent posts about the Salona 33 and the Elan 320?

Here they are:

Interesting Sailboats

Interesting Sailboats

I would say that the Salona is a better regatta boat and the Elan a better solo one. Both has dealers in the US and the Salona 33 is going to be at the Miami boat show. If I was you I would say to both dealers that you are undecided between the two boats and that you are going to race the boat. A motivated dealer can really bring the prices down

Regards

Paulo


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PCP is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to PCP For This Useful Post:
MrPelicano (02-03-2014)
post #5953 of 6763 Old 02-02-2014 Thread Starter
PCP
Senior Member
 
PCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,214
Thanks: 21
Thanked 105 Times in 88 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Chines and X yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I love that new X Yacht.
No chines?...
Bob, back on chines and on X-yachts. The new big passagemaker has not but the last performance cruiser, the 33 is the first one with chines. The one before that, the Xp 38 has not. It seems that Niels Jeppesen is just starting to use them. Some of the French Na use them already for years.

The Xp 33:



The Xp 38:



Regards

Paulo


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PCP is offline  
post #5954 of 6763 Old 02-03-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 684
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Interesting Sailboats

This year's Route du Rhum will be hell of a race: Even Spindrift 2 will be on the track, raced be Yann Guichard - solo of course!

Remember: It is the worlds largest and fastest multihull...
robelz is offline  
post #5955 of 6763 Old 02-03-2014
Senior Member
 
capt vimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 626
Thanks: 8
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 2
 
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
This year's Route du Rhum will be hell of a race: Even Spindrift 2 will be on the track, raced be Yann Guichard - solo of course!

Remember: It is the worlds largest and fastest multihull...
this 131 ft monster which holds the 24 hrs record with 908 nm and previously known as banc populaire V will be sailed singlehanded?
honestly - i have to see that in order to be able to believe it...
capt vimes is offline  
post #5956 of 6763 Old 02-03-2014
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 684
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
this 131 ft monster which holds the 24 hrs record with 908 nm and previously known as banc populaire V will be sailed singlehanded?
honestly - i have to see that in order to be able to believe it...
Spindrift Racing | Official website | Maxi Trimaran, MOD70 & Decision 35 ? The Spindrift racing series : ?40 metres solo? Episode 1 : Making the decision

Eat this!
robelz is offline  
post #5957 of 6763 Old 02-03-2014
Senior Member
 
capt vimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 626
Thanks: 8
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 2
 
Re: Interesting Sailboats

"there will be a smaller mast, reduced sail area and a system for manouvres slightly adapted..."
still - incredible if this monster is sailed solo...
the main alone has 450 mē... a whole family with 4 generations could live comfortably in a place that big...
capt vimes is offline  
post #5958 of 6763 Old 02-03-2014 Thread Starter
PCP
Senior Member
 
PCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,214
Thanks: 21
Thanked 105 Times in 88 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Solo sailing and power

I had the same doubts regarding Groupama, now Banque Populaire V on the last Route du Rhum. At the time the boat had finished to beat the world circumnavigation absolute record with Cammas and his crew and even some on the crew doubted that the boat could be sailed solo.

The rest is history, not only Cammas sailed successfully the boat solo as he won the race. Today we look at Armel on the same boat beating record after record and it seems almost easy

But one thing is to know if the boat can be sailed solo and I am pretty sure it can, even if the boat is bigger, other is to know if the power will be not too much to be handled for a solo sailor and if on account of that Armel on the smaller and less powerful boat would not be faster.

That had happened already on Open60 (Imoca) where today's fastest boats are not the more powerful (some of previous generation boats were more powerful).

In fact the future generation boats will all be less powerful since they have cut on the maximum allowed RM and contrary for instance with VOR, they are going to compete directly with the lighter and more powerful boats. It is going to be very interesting to see if the gains in design and more freedom in what regards design (water tanks) will be enough to compensate the weight and power disadvantage. There are some that doubt about that.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PCP is offline  
post #5959 of 6763 Old 02-03-2014
Senior Member
 
capt vimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 626
Thanks: 8
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 2
 
Re: Interesting Sailboats

agreed.
but armel le cleach is on a different tri... BP VII is 8.5 m shorter, has "only" a 33.5 m mast and the total sail area on a close haul is 411 mē...
compare that with BP V - 40 m length, 47 m mast and as posted, the main alone has 450 mē... BP V was designed for crewed sailing and it is mentioned that they are going to reduce mast and sail area to make it manageable for a single sailor...
BP VII in fact is not so far above an open 60 when we talk sail area and mast height which armel sailed on various occasions around the globe already...

i am completely with you in regards manageable power and that slightly less powerful boats might be faster since they are easier to sail and therefor easier to bring to their designed speed...
capt vimes is offline  
post #5960 of 6763 Old 02-03-2014 Thread Starter
PCP
Senior Member
 
PCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal, West Coast
Posts: 16,214
Thanks: 21
Thanked 105 Times in 88 Posts
Rep Power: 11
 
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
agreed.
but armel le cleach is on a different tri... BP VII is 8.5 m shorter, has "only" a 33.5 m mast and the total sail area on a close haul is 411 mē...
compare that with BP V - 40 m length, 47 m mast and as posted, the main alone has 450 mē... BP V was designed for crewed sailing and it is mentioned that they are going to reduce mast and sail area to make it manageable for a single sailor...
BP VII in fact is not so far above an open 60 when we talk sail area and mast height which armel sailed on various occasions around the globe already...

i am completely with you in regards manageable power and that slightly less powerful boats might be faster since they are easier to sail and therefor easier to bring to their designed speed...
Grupama, the one that Cammas sailed solo was also designed for crewed sailing, as I have said they had just finished to beat the world's circumnavigation record that was later beat by Peyron on the one that is actually Spindrift. I don't think that in the Grupama case the mast was shortened but all the running rigging was modified.

It is a case to see what is possible or not but I believe that there is a limit and maybe Spindrift is just too big...or maybe not

Regards

Paulo


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PCP is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising sailboats for sale welch Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 10 04-25-2012 05:20 PM
THE Yacht Builder List T37Chef Boat Review and Purchase Forum 26 07-08-2011 05:51 AM
Noob wonderings and questions about sailing, life at sail and sailboats Vans General Discussion (sailing related) 49 06-20-2011 12:18 AM
A List of ALL sailboats made with layouts? Myblueheaven Boat Review and Purchase Forum 8 10-08-2010 11:32 AM
Failure to Navigate - interesting post on Panbo Blog & from the NewsReader Mass Bay Sailors 0 12-11-2006 06:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome