Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Morgan Lagravičre

167/ and this is supposed to mean what, that you don't agree with what I have said?

The Solo French solo offshore championship regards only the Figaro class, leaves outside the 40class solo championship that is the logical next step before Open 60.

The Figaro offshore solo championship is a coastal offshore championship that only in 2013 included a Transat.

As you can see in 2012 LAGRAVIERE won it based on regularity.

http://www.medrace.fr/extras/Classem...%C3%A9_FFV.pdf

and you can see also on last year solo offshore championship he had not made better that 12th.

http://www.ffvoile.fr/ffv/web/evenem...ent_CFECLS.pdf

Morgan Lagravičre never won any Transat contrary to several that in my opinion have a far better curriculum and were a more logical choice for a top Open60 to race the next vendee globe. Here you have some:

Fabien Delahaye

Palmarčs - Fabien Delahaye | Macif Course au large

Erwan Tabarly

That was second on the 2012 French solo offshore championship and has already won a Transat in Figaro and been 2nd and 3rd on another two:

Sébastien Rogues:

Sebastien Rogues | The skipper

Thomas Ruyant

Face to these sailors, all relatively young, the curriculum of Morgan Lagravičre is not a big one:

Morgan Lagravičre - Safran Sailing Team

I am not saying that he is not the best choice, just that it not seems the more logical one.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2014

X yachts: X6

I have posted briefly about the X6 when the boat was announced but this boat deserves much more: It is a new approach from X yachts to cruising. After the XP series for performance cruising and racing, the Xc series for cruising, in quite a classical type of offshore boats, X yachts come with a new line for offshore cruising, pointing to blue water boats more modern and possibly faster than the rather classic XC line.

The first one it will be a 60 ft and we have already more images of the boat that will give us a good idea of the boat:

The boat is described this way by X yachts:

"The X6 represents the first in a new development of performance cruising yachts. The twin-rudder X6 will utilise the same hi-tech construction techniques as X-Yachts adopted to build their latest generation Xp racer-cruisers, including vacuum infused epoxy with localised carbon for strength, stiffness and stability. It also comes from the same drawingboard as the award-winning Xcruising family.

Combining the best elements of these two world-beating ranges will be an all-new, luxurious and impressively fast collection of performance cruising yachts for state of the art bluewater sailing.

The first model will be in the 60-foot range, a sector which is dominated by traditionally styled, relatively heavy cruising yachts. In developing their latest model, by using the Xp construction techniques, X-Yachts sets out to achieve a 15-20 per cent weight saving over a traditionally built 60ft cruiser, while offering improved performance and amenities compared to Mediterranean-style 'daysailer' yachts. The new models will be offered with a wide choice of sail options, with high priority given to ensuring the yacht is easily handled with just one or two crew.....

The mainsheet may be led down to the cockpit sole (as standard) or onto a carbon arch, offered as an option to create a clear and safe cockpit. High specification deck gear includes furling headsails with optional hydraulic rams, self-tacking jibs, and an inner forestay, all designed to create an adaptable and easily managed sail plan....

The huge transom garage combines storage for a Jet RIB tender of up to 3.2m, with roller launch system and integral powered winch....

The X6“s hull is designed to meet the demands from sailors, who want to enjoy sailing in a wide range of conditions. Opposite to the mainstream trends of yachts with a very modern appearance, X6 is meant to be enjoyable and easily controllable in more than just ‘reaching’ conditions. The upwind performance and sea keeping has been given a lot of attention whilst choosing design parameters and various aspect ratios.

Achieving comfort when sailing to windward in a rough sea was an essential prerequisite in the X6 hull design. Deep V sections, modest displacement, generous stability, and a powerful yet easy to handle sail plan offer smooth sailing through the waves. This combined with the thoroughbred X-Yachts
racing heritage delivers a new generation of world class cruising yachts."

Very Italian in the hull concept...I would nor mind to live permanently in something like that

As you can see this is another big modern fast cruiser designed to be solo or duo crewed and it will be more modern and fast than their very traditional line of XC cruisers that are meant to compete with Halberg-Rassy and the like. This one is another story...a nicer one in my opinion

http://www.x-yachts.com/files/$misc/X6%20brochure_final.pdf

They talk about a performance cruiser but that is to be taken with a grain of salt. The boat weights 29.5T while the Salona 60, a direct competitor heights only 24.0T.

I visited the Salona 60 on Dusseldorf and it is just an incredible boat, no doubt fast, with all controls at the wheels, also meant to be sailed solo or by a crew. It has also a great interior... a true house and a fast one too

Salona 60

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-01-2014

robelz is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

The Salona is not only a lot lighter, it also looks better in my opinion...
Old 02-01-2014

Sailing:

some interesting videos:

EricKLYC likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to PCP For This Useful Post:
Daydreamer22 (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014

robelz is on a distinguished road

25 feet, 1500kg, 50% ballast, fat head main, 59000€ incl. VAT...
EricKLYC likes this.

Last edited by robelz; 02-02-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 02-02-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Paulo:
The information is all in my last post. Read slowly.

The boat review was the Sun Odessey349. Don't recall the publication but it was English. I think they generally do the best and most honest job. But I don't speak French, Spanish or Italian. I do quite well with Mandarin though.

Sun Odessey 349 was the bopat reviewed.

The Bavaria is ther Farr desin and I said one boat has no chiones and that boat is the Farr design.

The Farr designed Bavaria has no chines.

Clear?

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 02-02-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I love that new X Yacht.
No chines?
They must be behind the times or not know what they are doing.
Or, really know what they are doing. Yes, I think that's it.

Ha!

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 02-02-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Paulo:
The information is all in my last post. Read slowly.

The boat review was the Sun Odessey349. Don't recall the publication but it was English. I think they generally do the best and most honest job. But I don't speak French, Spanish or Italian. I do quite well with Mandarin though.

Sun Odessey 349 was the bopat reviewed.

The Bavaria is ther Farr desin and I said one boat has no chiones and that boat is the Farr design.

The Farr designed Bavaria has no chines.

Clear?
Bob, that discussion is on another thread and I have re-posted your post there as well as the answer.

On this thread we have already covered chines and their function on sailboat design.

For the ones that want to continue to discuss the subject there is a thread about it where Bob Perry and I, among others have been posting:

Hard Chines

Regards

Paulo

Old 02-02-2014

Pointer 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post

25 feet, 1500kg, 50% ballast, fat head main, 59000€ incl. VAT...
The dimensions look great but the Vand de Stadt design looks not very interesting or modern. The builder is a Dutch dingy manufacturer and I doubt they can keep the final weight of 1500kg (with 750kg of ballast). Let's wait and see.

Regards

Paulo

Old 02-02-2014

Chines

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I love that new X Yacht.
No chines?
They must be behind the times or not know what they are doing.
Or, really know what they are doing. Yes, I think that's it.

Ha!
Bob, the X yachts are designed by Niels Jeppesen an in house designer that only designs X yachts. Even if I do prefer designers with a broader experience than an in house designer there are some that have proved along the time and particularly in racing that they are great in what they do. That's the case for instance with Neils but also with Johnstone from Jboats.

From what observation it seems that you consider that Neils know what is doing when is not using chines in cruising boats and that the other designers that use them don't know what they are doing, for instance designers like Marc Lombard, Finot/Conq, Berret Racopeau, Umberto Felci. Off course being Neils Jeppesen a great NA all of the above are no less and even have a lot more experience having designed much more boats and very different ones. I believe they all know what they are doing.

Again, for the ones that want to participate on the discussion of this subject please post and follow it here:Hard Chines

Last edited by PCP; 02-02-2014 at 08:57 AM.