Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMoll View Post
That's when they started using chines on a heavy boat, right?
Yes the First 30 was on the first performance cruisers with chine but this is mostly a regatta boat and chines here would not be of much help. I believe the problems have to do with the boat being designed a bit like a miniature VOR, with a big transom, great for stability but not good for rating or upwind sailing. Interesting for Ocean sailing but not for what it was designed for.

The boat is also heavy and the ballast is not much. They have tried to better the boat and I believe the First 30R is a better boat but it does not even appear on the Benetau page. One of the problems is that First counts very little for the business volume of Benetau and they don't seem to care much, certainly much less than brands like Salona that are always trying to better the boats.

Have a look at the Beneteau 31R:

Beneteau First 30 - R Version

Lighter, cored hull, more ballast, more draft.

One of the problems is that they have become obsolete in what regards hull building techniques for performance boats: Who still use solid polyester hulls in performance boats

That is responsible for more weight and less hull rigidity. Yes I know they make also the 40 on a much more expensive version, a bit like the R, with cored hulls but that is not also advertised. Much more expensive boats anyway.

The truth is that the First line has become a mess in what regards Beneteau. It should have an independent management.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2014

The Big RM

Some more photos and information: what a boat

The interior layout is great including a big Dinghy garage and a frontal big sail locker. the boat will be very fast and light. the preliminary designs show two big water ballast (2T each) and a swing keel but all that can be still changed. As usual on RM, a Marc Lombard Design.
HMoll and bobperry like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-06-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-07-2014

My favorite sailing team:

Yes, they are not only nice and elegant as they have been training hard, not to mention they are all great sailors. For what I have seen they risk to start the VOR as a favorite team and that would be a first.

I really don't know SCA products and I am not obviously a client but I will tell you that if my family needs some of the stuff they sell, I will gladly buy their products over the competition even if they cost some cents more. It is great what they are doing for sailing.
EricKLYC and MrPelicano like this.

Old 02-07-2014

Italians and solo racing.

A bit all over Europe duo and solo racing is on the increase and I will bet that in some years it will be the more popular type of offshore club racing.

Many classic races include now a duo crew category and as all know, the Fastnet was last year won overall by a duo crew.

If we don't consider the French races (that lead this type of racing for many years and were the first to start it) one of the oldest is the Roma per due, that is raced along with a full crewed race (Roma per tuti).

This year's edition will have a big new, They opened a new category: Rome x 1, a solo category on the race.

They will start from Rome, will turn around at Lipari and will return to Rome:

http://www.romaper2.com/pub/news/image_news.php?id=163

The inscriptions are open and they have already many on the solo category, with very different types of boats.

If you are interested, the race will take place at 6 /4/2014:

Roma per Due - Roma per Tutti

Some images from the last one:

Last edited by PCP; 02-07-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-07-2014

Neo 400 going fast downwind with not too much wind.

Yes, I know, some of you will be sayng: Another downwind speedster
except that this one, the Neo 400, it is not. It is a top ORC/IRC racer designed to have a good overall performance. I will be cruising but you guys can follow its performance on the world's ORC championship. It will be competing there.

Old 02-07-2014

Kuka-light, a fantastic video, a fantastic boat

Too much talk, today it seems we will have lots of videos and this one is absolutely fantastic:

A 42ft sailboat beating upwind a top Open 60!!!. Well that would not be out of this world if the boat was un upwind maximized one, but it isn't, the Kuka-Light is a kind of a 42 ft Open boat, kind of a 40 class racer a bit bigger and with a canting keel. They say the boat is proportionally 15% lighter than a top Open 60

The boat was thought and built by the crew with the help of a NA, Schickler Tagliapietra.

Here is the story:

The idea of creating Kuka-Light started to spin around my head when I realised that to improve the Rating of my boat I had to have smaller sails and make the boat slower. This is absurd for a yachtsman used to racing with A class catamarans and with Melges 24 boats. Speed and apparent wind are synonyms of fun for me so I asked myself: why give up on fun and give up having maximum performance?

I decided I wanted to feel the same sensations as when I am sailing my A class also on a keelboat made for demanding regattas such as the Middle Sea Race or Fastnet; building a 40 foot boat that is as light as possible and that uses the apparent wind to maximise its possible performance. I sent the rating to hell! As of today, I am still not totally sure of what we will manage to come up with and if our visions will be proven right. We’ll just have to wait and see.

The idea to create something special was following the Middle Sea Race 2009 when competing on a Cruiser/Racer (Kuka) Sly 42. We all enjoy racing and then asked ourselves why wouldn’t we just want to go fast and forget about handicap and rating systems. Why should we compromise our performance and make a boat slower just to have a better chance to win on handicap. This was going against the whole reason we take part in the Sport in the first place…To sail fast and have fun. Also all cruiser racer have a lot of compromises we did not want. If you are racing you need something created for it.

Kuka-Light, has been created with the fresh approach of not considering rating and handicap rules , but simply perform as best as possible for this size boat. The brief from the owner , a long time friend of mine was to build the fastest 40 ft monohull in the World that could take part in the premier ocean and coastal races and be easily sailed by 6-7 crew.

The brief went out from the following ideas:

1. To set up a crew is never easy and if you have a smaller crew it will be easier to find them and save a lot of money when travelling around.
2. The size of 40 feet was chosen as it is still a size which can be used by normal people, not a professional crew. Also the owner was always using boats of this size.

We started with a clean sheet of paper and applied many principles from our multihull background. The choice of the designers was crucial as we intended to create something different. So an established designer with experience would have problems to forget all what he had done before. In the same time we needed a team of designers capable to do a real race boat. Do to our multihull experience we decided that weight was the highest priority. This resulted in the end with probably the highest power to weight ratio keel boat ever launched.

We then formed a partnership with ST yacht designers who shared our vision of Kuka-Light.

Build | kuka-light

I had already posted about this boat so if you look with the thread search engine you can find more.

kuka-light - The first “giro d’Italia” from Kuka-Light on Vimeo.

EricKLYC likes this.

Old 02-07-2014

LIONEL LEMONCHOIS his again with the right side up!

They reached him today (after living for 10 days on a capsized boat) and managed to put the big trimaran back on its feet. I bet Lionel is feeling a bit less miserable: He saved his boat
Faster and opc11 like this.

Last edited by PCP; 02-07-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2014

Maxi 1200

We have already talked here about the new Maxi 1200. Just some better images:

Old 02-08-2014

A 2013 sailing compilation: some great images.

Old 02-08-2014

capt vimes is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Regarding the kuka light...
I am a little surprised that the kuka is with 3.2 t only 800 kg lighter than an plywood epoxy boat in her race trim one could build in his garage...
Didi 40cr radius chine plywood sailboat
And this homebuild boat has aluminum spars, 1.5 m less draft and 2 t ballast in a conventional keel casing made of steel... I imagine that the kuka has probably a little more than 1 t in her canting keelbulb...
If i look at the effort those guys put in to build the boat, i come to think that her lightness is not that extraordinary, just expensively bought...

And i know you cannot compare these two boats... The kuka has way more power, more sailarea and is by all means a lot faster... I just looked at the weight figures...