Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Flaar 26 - Attila Déry and Nándor Fa

My personal WOW!!!! factor this year at Dusseldorf boat show goes to a small racer made and designed in Hungary by Attila Déry and Nándor Fa, some photos (some mine) for you to understand why:

The boat as a lifting keel and water ballasts. It is meant for solo or short crew racing but it can also provide good fun with a crew.

They say about it:

Concept
A unique design method resulted in a hull that has extremely low wetted surface, which becomes even smaller but remains symmetrical when the boat heels. The boat itself is still wide enough to give the needed righting moment against the huge sails.

Standard equipment:
carbon mast with two spreaders, carbon boom and central bowsprit, carbon fin of 30 kg and lead bulb of 440 kg (liftable), 2 carbon rudders, 4 berths.

waterballast - transfer by gravity and/or electric pump
magnetic valves
reversible winches
backstay high gear-ratio - tensioning can be done by hand or by winching.

Specifications
Length LOA: 8.0 m
Waterline length LWL: 7.95 m
Max beam B: 2.82 m
Displacement DSPL: 900 kg
Keel: 470 kg
Draft: 2.0 m
Main: 32 m2
Jib: 20 m2
Genakker: 85/115 m2
Mast length: 12.0 m
Crew max: 6
Crew racing: 1/3

Of course the hull is carbon. We are going to heard more about Attila Déry and Nándor Fa. The first is a very young and talented NA the former an old Vendee Globe racer. The combined experience has allowed for some very interesting boats that I will post later, among them a new Open'60 for the next Vendee globe, already designed and on the building stage.

DiasDePlaya likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-10-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2014

Spirit of Hungry, new Open 60 (IMOCA).

That's the boat designed by Attila Déry and Nándor Fa for the next vendee globe. It seems not clear if Nándor intends to sail it...if so that is a shame, he is quite old and should be coaching new talents that could sail the boat at 100%.

The hull seems quite conventional for an Imoca boat even if on the heavy side, with lots of ballast. He says the boat conforms to the new rules in what regards max righting moment but I have some doubts: The boat has the same beam of the winner of last edition but more 700kg of ballast. It is also 1100kg heavier.

The boat

I don't know also if it has already the new standardized mast and keel but it seems they have allowed him to carry on.

IMOCA General Assembly in Paris

Interesting anyway and one boat to follow. I don't think it will be competitive but than I might be wrong. We will see it on the race track

An interview with Nándor Fa about the boat and his conformity with the IMOCA rules:

Spirit of Hungary ocean sailing project ? Technical details by IMOCA rules

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-10-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2014

Crazy stuff: You really don't need a big boat to coastal cruise.

Well, that's solo sailing...We have already talked here a lot about that Mini racer that has a bath tube boat, but this one makes the Mini looks giant. It has a bathtube bow too...but contrary to the mini it is the size of a true bath tube.

The truth is that thing can sail. It even has two retractable daggerboards to go "better" upwind

Last edited by PCP; 02-10-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2014

Mini J class and "La copa"

Since we are talking about mini sailboats and crazy stuff let me tell you about La Copa:

I think everybody have seen an know those little funny boats that look like a miniature Americas's cup boat , just for a single sailor and that are a ISAF class, the one for handicapped sailors? But maybe you don't know that each year some of the best French sailors race on them in a race called "La Copa" that takes place in Trinité-sur-Mer at almost Christmas time.

Kind of funny to see sailors used to sail solo 60ft big multihulls, 40 class racers and Figaros and other classes racing hard on those little boats and I say hard because even if they take it in good fun, none of those guys like to lose

This year they joined among others Alain Gautier, Marc Guillemot, Thomas Ruyant, Erwan le Roux, Jeremie Beyou, Corentin Horeau, Morgan Lagraviere and Jean-Pierre Nicol.

Look at them:

The race was won by a less known sailor, from the J80 series, Quentin Delapierre.

Racing in little boats seems to be fun since their popularity is on the raise and not only among handicapped sailors. Here you have a Mini 12er designed by judel & vrolijk, great for match racing:

Mini 12er from Andreas Lindlahr on Vimeo.

Last edited by PCP; 02-10-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2014

robelz is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

No pics of the Comet 37 CAT yet?
Old 02-10-2014

Comet 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
No pics of the Comet 37 CAT yet?
Sorry, what I can find is very bad. They had models on the stand and I saw them. The 37 has the same rounded lines and inverted bows of the bigger boat but it is impossible to make a 37 ft cruising cat that looks good. They always look too high for the length with this size, at least for my taste.

I like the wheels position, not behind the cabin, like on most, but on the side of the boat with a good view forward. It seems that it will have (like the big one) two versions, one more sportive with daggerboards the other with fixed keels. with the one with Daggerboards the 37 has a draft of 2.24m and that is a lot, so probably will sail well upwind.

There are not many cruising cats of this size but comparing with a famous and good one, the Mahe 36 evolution from Fontaine Pajot, we can see that even on the fixed keel version the Comet has more draft (1.3 to 1.1m) is bigger but lighter (4.5T to 5.0T) and also narrower 5.65 to 5.90m. The Comet has more sail (78 m2 to 70m2). The Mahe is a great cat and a fast one. The comet 37 should be faster.

To compare with the main cat market and looking at the Lagoon 380, that is only 25cm bigger, the difference in performance should be huge since the Lagoon weights 7.3T against the 4.5T from Comet that has 1m2 more of upwind sail area.

Like the monohulls, the Comet 37 will be a performance cat, specially on the version with movable daggerboards.

This is what I could find... not much and that's why I had not posted about it:

COMET 37 CAT - technical specifications:
Length of hull: 11.30 m
LOA: 11.30 m
BOA: 5.65 m
Forward freeboard: 1.56 m
Light Displacement: 4.5 t
Full Loaded displacement: 6.5 t
Draught (board down): 2.24 m
Draught (board up): 0.95 m
Draught (fixed keel): 1.33 m
Total height/DwL: 16.94 m
Mast height: 14.42 m
Sail Area - Main: 45 m˛
- Genoa: 33 m˛
- Code 0: 44 m˛
- Gennaker: 53 m˛
- Spi assy: 80 m˛
Diesel Engines: 2x20 Hp
Fresh water tanks: 2x150 L
Gas oil Tanks: 2x80 L

Last edited by PCP; 02-10-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2014

HMoll is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Here's another image of the Comet Cat 37
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting Sailboats-image.jpg  
PCP likes this.
Old 02-10-2014

Comet 37 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMoll View Post
Here's another image of the Comet Cat 37

Where the hell did you find that picture
There was more there?

It seems nicer than on the model I saw and certainly very nice for a 37ft cat.

Regards

Paulo

Old 02-10-2014

Bavaria 41s

Some time ago I posted about the new Bavaria 41s that seems an interesting boat for the price (assuming they have changed the anchor locker regarding the previous model):

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Contrary to other mass market cruisers that offer performance versions the one from Bavaria is a more serious one with a lighter boat, a true deep lead keel (2.30) a bigger and better mast, Carbon spy pole and composite steering wheels, backstay adjuster more sail area, main sheet system with ball bearing cockpit traveler, genoa cars with trim line system, 6 cockpit winches (instead of 4 and bigger), removable cockpit table and an open transom. All sail hardware is of better quality.

The boat is used for serious racing in Germany, particularly the Match racing German leg of the World's championship. Here the previous boat, the 40s.
The keel is IRC optimized and the boat has a good rating. It can be an interesting option for someone that don't want to spend more on a performance cruiser but want a competitive boat that is also a great cruiser since the interior is the same.

As usual they are lousy at Bavaria in what regards information and we cannot have the weight of this boat. They give it as being heavier 260 kg regarding the cruiser when this boat has less ballast, has not the big swimming platform and has lighter components. A relatively heavy boat anyway.

The boat looks a lot nicer with the Open transom.
Now they have a video about it. The interior is the same as the 41, the exterior is much more interesting, at least for someone that likes to sail and have fun while doing it, trimming perfectly the sails. Have a look:

Old 02-10-2014

opc11 is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising and racing with wing sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I have been following the developments regarding this technology regarding cruising boats. In fact it is not a new thing, the French have toyed with it on the 80s in what concerns offshore racing boats but the concept never proved to have reliability and enough efficiency.

It seems to me things are changing fast and the ones that seem to be leading the ball in what concerns practicability, costs and a possible utilization on cruising boats are One sails, the Italian sail company. In fact they believe that in 15 years almost all boats will have some kind of a wing sail.

I have saw their first video (that I will re-post at the bottom) but only recently I saw one with a comparison on the water between two identical boats, one with wing sail the other with conventional high quality sails and the results are conclusive even if the sail is still in development:

The boats are Seascape 18 and we can see that the wing boat is not only faster as it can point 5ş better upwind and sail downwind at a bigger angle.

The wing can be reefed and I believe that this type of soft sail wings will not take long to be available, first on racers and after in performance cruisers.

Here a previous movie with that sail on a previous phase of development.

and they are not the only ones working on it:

Paulo, glad to see you starting to warm up to the idea of the wing sail. When I first brought it up, you weren't as impressed! Might be better for solo sailing as well!

Regards,
PCP likes this.

Last edited by opc11; 02-12-2014 at 12:20 AM.