Interesting Sailboats - Page 619 - SailNet Community
 1269Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #6181 of 6763 Old 02-16-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Oceanis 48

A funny video with a lady (Betsy) trying her brand new Beneteau Oceanis 48. I love her facial expressions, from pure delight to some fright I bet she was used to a smaller boat.

She shows very clearly the pleasure and delight we all feel with a brand new boat especially if we like the way it sails.

congratulations Betsy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-16-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6182 of 6763 Old 02-16-2014

Re: Interesting Sailboats

About the Luffe:

Controls on the tiller are good
Steering is very precise, pointing is easy
More than 8kn under spi but hard to steer then - too much pressure on the tiller
A lot more space inside than in older Luffes
Nav station is higher than usual to use it while standing, too
High built quality at a good price (compared to other Scandinavians)

The rest of the time he only tells what he shows...
The Following User Says Thank You to robelz For This Useful Post:
PCP (02-16-2014)
post #6183 of 6763 Old 02-16-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
About the Luffe:

Controls on the tiller are good
Steering is very precise, pointing is easy
More than 8kn under spi but hard to steer then - too much pressure on the tiller
A lot more space inside than in older Luffes
Nav station is higher than usual to use it while standing, too
High built quality at a good price (compared to other Scandinavians)

The rest of the time he only tells what he shows...
Thanks!

Odd that they mention nothing about the boat not having a traveler and how it sails without it. Maybe on the magazine they say something about that.

I am curious because Oluf is a great sailor and I it is hard for me to believe he would make a boat that could not be trimmed correctly. He had already used a boat with this type of main sail set up years ago on the 43DS.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6184 of 6763 Old 02-16-2014

Re: Oceanis 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
A funny video with a lady (Betsy) trying her brand new Beneteau Oceanis 48. I love her facial expressions, from pure delight to some fright I bet she was used to a smaller boat.

She shows very clearly the pleasure and delight we all feel with a brand new boat especially if we like the way it sails.

congratulations Betsy
It's always a delight to see people enjoying their boats. At the same time, I found myself cringing a bit at the thought of Betsy trying to control her new boat without another one or two experienced sailors on board. It appeared to me that her skills are rather basic, and the absence of a traveler control at the helm station makes it very difficult to depower the main in puffs. You could see her instinctively start turning down in the puff, which only exacerbated the boat's heel, rather than feathering into the wind, as the dealer instructed her.

I hope she gets more instruction and keeps sailing the boat. All it takes is one close call or accident to discourage new sailors from going out. Then the boat sits lonely in its slip, while the owner pursues other interests. Sort of wish the dealer had pointed her to a smaller boat.
EricKLYC likes this.

We deal in lead, friend.
post #6185 of 6763 Old 02-16-2014
A New Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
Can we please stop the bobperry bashing?! His only infraction was disagreeing with the "Pope", the words "silly" and "stupid". Does it deserve to in return being called arrogant, rude, self-centered, etc. over and over and over? That to me is just, well...rude and silly!
I really enjoy this thread, and the participation of Bob Perry is very welcome. It adds another view, a very competent one, from the only NA here. I sure hope he sticks around and keeps giving his candid opinion, even if opposing views are not acceptable here.
Agree totally.

1989 Sabre 34II Targa
mjsailing.com
The Following User Says Thank You to funjohnson For This Useful Post:
bobperry (02-16-2014)
post #6186 of 6763 Old 02-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Agree totally.
A little late to the dance, aren't we, FJ?

If you'd turned up a bit earlier you would have had the complete context of the exchange. Piling on after the fact just looks opportunistic and a tad obsequious.

Bjung doesn't accurately relate the exchange between Bob, Paulo and several others in the thread (including myself). And his claim that "opposing views are not acceptable here" is utterly false - indeed, it suggests that he hasn't spent much time in the Interesting Boats thread at all, though I know he's spent a fair amount (to what effect it's hard to say).

Anyway, peace has returned to the valley and Interesting Boats are once more the topic of everyone's conversation. Bob continues to make poignant contributions and Paulo continues to keep us all apprised of the latest developments in performance yacht design from around the world.

Looking forward to enjoying your salient contributions as well.

Regards,

MrP
EricKLYC likes this.

We deal in lead, friend.
post #6187 of 6763 Old 02-16-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Re: Oceanis 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
It's always a delight to see people enjoying their boats. At the same time, I found myself cringing a bit at the thought of Betsy trying to control her new boat without another one or two experienced sailors on board. It appeared to me that her skills are rather basic, and the absence of a traveler control at the helm station makes it very difficult to depower the main in puffs. You could see her instinctively start turning down in the puff, which only exacerbated the boat's heel, rather than feathering into the wind, as the dealer instructed her.

I hope she gets more instruction and keeps sailing the boat. All it takes is one close call or accident to discourage new sailors from going out. Then the boat sits lonely in its slip, while the owner pursues other interests. Sort of wish the dealer had pointed her to a smaller boat.
The boat needs reefing to have a more relaxed sailing. They were going well over 9K and that's a lot for a cruiser like that. The boys are having fun and impressing the lady. With a reef in the sails the boat would be making over 8K at a much smaller heel angle. That boat does not even like to be sailed that way.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 02-16-2014 at 02:34 PM.
post #6188 of 6763 Old 02-16-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
...Paulo continues to keep us all apprised of the latest developments in performance yacht design from around the world....
MrP
Not only me. On the last year there have been several other contributors that have been posting very interesting boats making this an even more interesting thread. I like that. Everybody is welcome to post interesting boats, meaning by interesting contemporary designs, what some call cutting edge.

Old shoes are nice too, at least for some, but for other threads. Several are dedicated to them.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 02-16-2014 at 03:12 PM.
post #6189 of 6763 Old 02-16-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

RC 44 Virgin Gorda

surprising developments now that is only one day left to race:

The British from Peninsula Petroleum increased the lead but on the other podium places.... big changes. The British from team Aqua made an incredibly recovery on the 3rd day and are now second while the Russians from Synergy and the Italians from Bombarda have both the same number of points and are at only 4 from team Aqua.

Again great images:

post #6190 of 6763 Old 02-16-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Wind

Wind is what makes us move and to know more about it is always great. Just look at this Japanese project:

Want better? Go to your location and have a great view of what is happening. Unbelievably

earth wind map

and incredibly beautiful.
DiasDePlaya and EricKLYC like this.

Last edited by PCP; 02-16-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.