Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1226Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Oceanis 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
It's always a delight to see people enjoying their boats. At the same time, I found myself cringing a bit at the thought of Betsy trying to control her new boat without another one or two experienced sailors on board. It appeared to me that her skills are rather basic, and the absence of a traveler control at the helm station makes it very difficult to depower the main in puffs. You could see her instinctively start turning down in the puff, which only exacerbated the boat's heel, rather than feathering into the wind, as the dealer instructed her.

I hope she gets more instruction and keeps sailing the boat. All it takes is one close call or accident to discourage new sailors from going out. Then the boat sits lonely in its slip, while the owner pursues other interests. Sort of wish the dealer had pointed her to a smaller boat.
The boat needs reefing to have a more relaxed sailing. They were going well over 9K and that's a lot for a cruiser like that. The boys are having fun and impressing the lady. With a reef in the sails the boat would be making over 8K at a much smaller heel angle. That boat does not even like to be sailed that way.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-16-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2014

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
...Paulo continues to keep us all apprised of the latest developments in performance yacht design from around the world....
MrP
Not only me. On the last year there have been several other contributors that have been posting very interesting boats making this an even more interesting thread. I like that. Everybody is welcome to post interesting boats, meaning by interesting contemporary designs, what some call cutting edge.

Old shoes are nice too, at least for some, but for other threads. Several are dedicated to them.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-16-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2014

RC 44 Virgin Gorda

surprising developments now that is only one day left to race:

The British from Peninsula Petroleum increased the lead but on the other podium places.... big changes. The British from team Aqua made an incredibly recovery on the 3rd day and are now second while the Russians from Synergy and the Italians from Bombarda have both the same number of points and are at only 4 from team Aqua.

Again great images:

Old 02-16-2014

Wind

Wind is what makes us move and to know more about it is always great. Just look at this Japanese project:

Want better? Go to your location and have a great view of what is happening. Unbelievably

earth wind map

and incredibly beautiful.
DiasDePlaya and EricKLYC like this.

Last edited by PCP; 02-16-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2014

Cameras: sailing movies

Since we are talking about sailing related things I would like to share this great movie about the available cameras on the market: Image quality and price included. I want nice movies on this thread so better know what is the best and cheapest equipment to make them

Caméras embarquées : le comparatif - mai 2013 por voile-magazine

Old 02-17-2014

Dolphins on the mini transat

Back on boats jonas: Gerckens on the last mini transat had time to make this beautiful movie with Dolphins:

EricKLYC likes this.

Old 02-17-2014

What happened to Milan KOLACEK

Number four on the mini Proto ranking in 2012, he was really eager for last year's transat that he never made:

With his famous boat, the "Follow me" a 2009 Sam Manuard design that he sailed to some victories and great results among them French solo Champion.

Document sans titre

The boat was first was first lent to Jeffrey MACFARLANE for the last transat and then sold to an almost unknown Romain Mouchel.

What happen to this great sailor, a Czech one?

I can find his face book page but I cannot read Czech. Someone can?:

https://www.facebook.com/milan.kolacek.39

It seems he is selling a book? but it says anything about his sailing projects?

It seems it is hard not to be a french to have a professional career as solo sailor. It happened the same to the Portuguese Francisco Lobato that disappeared without trace... well, this one is also a NA so maybe he is designing boats...with some luck.

Old 02-17-2014

Downwind / upwind performance or Beamy versus Narrow hulls.

It was already sometime ago, this race that preceded the Sydney-Hobart. At the time I posted some videos but this one is so much better and so curious:

We can see how Loyal and also the two top VOR pass on the downwind leg passing by Wild Oats. The difference in speed is awesome.

Of course upwind the two smaller VOR did not stand a a chance but it seems that Loyal was almost as fast (she blew a sail and got behind). Anyway Wild Oats goes upwind like a dart.

Not easy to have a right balance between upwind and downwind performance but I still think that in most circumstances Loyal has a better balance. With lighter winds Wild Oats is the master, no doubt about that.

SOLAS Big Boat Challenge 2013 from Greg Wilkins on Vimeo.

Old 02-17-2014

capt vimes is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Heres a rather long video of the blown code 0 on loyal... I thought, it had an awkward shape just before it blew...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oz9zV...%3DX6oz9zVzTr8
PCP likes this.
Old 02-17-2014

Varianta 37: very nice!

We had already talked about this boat that has a truly incredible price:

Yes and that price includes 19% German Vat and yes, it is a very nice hull. The Hanse 37 was a very fast boat with god results in club regattas. This one is even better, with the same hull lighter and with a better performance keel.

The boat was presented in Dusseldof and I was very curious to see the quality of finish and practical details. Some years ago the Varianta 44 was a deception: Yes an interesting boat but only suited for club racing with a bad galley, a bad finish and without a proper anchor and chain locker. They had reviewed the 44, it is better but again no accessible chain locker from the deck.

Well, the 37 was the opposite of a deception if we discount the optional settees (on the boat on the show) that are awful but the standard ones are "normal". The quality of the interior is surprisingly good for the price as the finish. The boat looks simple but clean and nice. I liked it. The only thing that is small for the size of the boat is the refrigerator but maybe they have an option for a bigger one.

The boat comes already with sails but not a furler and the sailing performance is amazingly good or maybe not since the 37 was fast and this one is lighter and the keel with less drag and wet surface. The boat was considerably faster with light winds than the new oceanis 38 and that is not a slow one.

For someone that has not the money to a "normal" cruiser this is a way of having a new boat for the price of an used one and the boat has the potential to be upgraded with time: Anchor winch, Furler and many other things can be added with time. I like the idea...I almost have the wish to have one

Last edited by PCP; 02-17-2014 at 07:21 PM.