Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2014

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Paulo, I'm sorry you're leaving. Although I don't contribute to this thread I do follow it and enjoy it very much. I hope you'll reconsider and not let a few unpleasant events here ruin this great thread that so many follow with earnest. Não esquenta a cabeça!
Old 03-05-2014
Solina 27

Sternik is on a distinguished road

Paulo, I am with you on this one 100% and will follow your new blog with most interest. This thread was a great place to witness development and evolution of modern yachts, big and small. And I prefer my boats just like I prefer my cars - modern European ;-)
opc11, a.giorgos and Ivanvet like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2014

SunnyG is on a distinguished road

Paulo,
You are a true gentlemen. Few would be able to remain so cordial with the treatment you have received. I will certainly check in on your blog, you are an incredible resource.

I will be cancelling my Sailing Mag subscription as soon as it is expired.

Bom Dia,
Greg
Old 03-05-2014

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road

As one who has read every single page and post of this thread... some pages/posts several times... I can say that I will sorely miss it. I have learned a tremendous amount about yacht design and the latest trends in high performance sailing. I've enjoyed literally hours of exciting and informative video, been directed to all manner of interesting sailing-related sites, and met some very friendly and helpful individuals.

All of my life I've been a racing sailor and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been on a boat when racing/practicing wasn't the exclusive focus. But since discovering this forum, I've become much more interested in and enticed by the idea of actually cruising, more specifically, "performance cruising" - i.e., cruising on boats where I wouldn't have to sacrifice my passion for speed and handling for a few creature comforts like pressurized hot water and a real galley.

Sure, I've raced on performance cruisers like the J/109, Elan 40, Express 37, and Santa Cruz 52, as well as some custom boats, but the idea of actually cruising them never occurred to me until I started spending a lot of time on "Interesting Boats". Now it's all I think about (when I'm not thinking about racing) and I'm pretty sure it's going to be my future passion.

So thanks very much, Paulo, and to everyone else who has contributed so much to this terrific conversation. Sorry it had to end like this, but sometimes it's just time to move on.

Respectfully,

MrP
opc11 likes this.
EricKLYC (03-06-2014), JAndersB (03-06-2014), Laurent (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting boat thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
This “hypocrite smarmonizer ass” is given up. This thread is officially under a new management.

I wish good luck to all. It is no more fun for me to post here since the ambiance has changed; I don’t like it, I cannot control it and since fun was the only thing that lead me to maintain this thread I will move elsewhere.

I don’t hold anybody responsible, this is a public forum and this thread was kind of odd, kind of Paulo’s thread, as many have called it, but only because the members of this forum wished and allowed that to be the case.

That changed, the thread ambiance become aggressive to me. I explained the situation to the forum management, previewing correctly what was going to happen and my intention to give up and change my work on this thread (as it was) to a personal blog, if it was not possible to find a solution that restored the cordial ambiance around here. It seems that Andrews had tried but it did not work out. Thank's for your effort.

I am not even complaining about the forum management, it’s their forum but this was an unusual situation on an unusual thread that had over 1500 hits a day and one that was widely appreciated out of sailnet (many become members of sailnet to participate on this thread and many others only followed this thread without being members yet).

It was to the management to decide what they wanted or not for this thread and what they could or could not due to preserve it like it was, knowing that it takes to somebody (in this case me) some knowledge and a lot of work to maintain it like that and running.

A special thanks to the ones that contributed and made this thread with me especially to the ones that tried to maintain it like it was, to those that someone called Paulo’s troops: Erick, Anders and Mr Pelicano that are also among the best contributors. I guess that it was for that they were called my troops. This was their thread too.

I made many friends here and I hope that they will maintain that friendship. If they need something from me they can send me a PM or they will find me on other boat threads were I post occasionally under the name of Polux. I will not be following permanently this thread anymore, or being around much on Sailnet, even if I can post occasionally here from time to time.

A last explanation: The pictures I posted on this forum (and thread) may have an erratic behavior, appearing and disappearing. I use photobucket to post photos. That is a free site providing the photos are not viewed extensively. Mines are, so it is not free anymore for me and even to maintain old pictures I have to pay. As you can understand it does not make sense to pay for something I don’t feel like mine anymore. However as I will use photobucket in the future (on next fall and winter) they will be active then.

You can see some more about all this and the future of this thread, as it was before, here:

Interesting Sailboats

Best regards to all,

Paulo
Paulo - This saddens me.

I do hope you will in time reconsider. As you know on forums, even in fantastic threads like this there is sometimes silliness and the clashing of egos and ideas. I believe this thread, unlike many others is bigger than all of that though, and could continue happily in the manner it has been so successfully going.

I agree that this is a unique thread, this to me is undeniably your thread and it has been a great one.

I therefore do feel there is a bit of an unwritten gentlemens code here, a respect for you as the driving force and OP of this thread. In the same way that I wouldn't go and hijack Smack's BFS thread and make it about watermakers. What has always also added to this thread is the subsequent discussion that has accompanied your posts, I believe you will miss that discussion in a blog format, and we will all be a bit poorer for it.

As an Australian I also have appreciated the European perspective you bring. Oz is I would say more influenced by European yacht designs that North American, and you have always provided a nice balance.

If you do not reconsider your decision then thankyou for a great thread, fair winds and following seas.
Faster, tdw, bljones and 3 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 03-06-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-06-2014

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road

This is a sad day, Paulo. But of course I perfectly understand your decision.

Bye bye, Sailnet.

See you on your blog, Paulo.

Eric
opc11 likes this.
Old 03-06-2014

JAndersB is on a distinguished road

I totally understand Paulo and agrees with Eric. And for you causing this - happy now? Was it worth it or could you perhaps have put your personal problems with different personalities aside for the sake of the bigger picture.

We all are different and one thing I have learnt on different forums is to constantly evualuate if it is worth trying to continue a line of discussion or let it go to be able to continue an exchange of opinions or a flow of information.

And to start "begging" fore more posts, especially in the manner you did, after what was said before, was really sad to see.

Bye bye, Sailnet.

See you on your blog, Paulo.

Anders
Faster, EricKLYC, opc11 and 2 others like this.
Old 03-06-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Thanks!!!

For you all, thank you!

Regarding what Chall had said regarding an European perspective that was never the intention of this thread. Obviously I have a better knowledge about what is going on here even if today's world is a small one and I don't think we can talk about European, NZ or American boat design. The best and bigger US cabinets like Farr, Reichel & Pugh, Farr and the best Oceania cabinets like ker design boats to everywhere, more to Europe than any other place simply because the Europeans have the biggest sailboat market. That's where more sailboats are sold and sailed.

Things seem to start changing and Asia is growing fast in what regards sailing and that will certainly will be very good not only for sailing but particularly to Australia and Oceania Nas.

Contemporary design (that some call cutting edge and I prefer state of the art design) is a Universal design and even with some differences that have more to do with a bigger percentage of boats being designed for solo sailing/racing while others more for crewed sailing/racing, than anything else.

Even if I had hoped that most of the state of the Art American boats and Oceania boats to be posted on this thread by local members the fact is that it was me that have posted about them so in the end I don't think you can call it an European perspective.

Regarding American boats, besides Jboats that have an iconic value in what regards American race boats and performance cruisers, things seem to be changing and American top designers have found more work on their own country designing what I hope would be the great American boats of the future. Iconic american brands like Hinckley and C&C are proposing state of the art boats designed by American Na:

C&C Yachts - Styles change, people change, boats change.

Lets hope they will find enough market in the States and that Americans will turn to sailing, cruising and racing again with the same vitality that showed in the past. They have state of the art American boats to do that if they want and certainly they will have much more if there is a market for it. The biggest difference between America and Europe is the size of the boat market. the boats more sold in America are the same boats that are more sold in Europe: Beneteau and Jeanneau.

Regarding your suggestion to rethink my options and continue this thread the way I had been doing, probably you don't know that I have tried, I have tried for a long time to find a way with the moderators to continue to run this thread the way it made it an unique success on sailnet.

Fact is that I tried several times and I did not get any answers that allowed it to be run without becoming a confrontational thread, with rude language and disagreeable for me. Yes I know that it was a very small number of people, some that even say that they don't follow this tread, but that is the reality of an open thread where if not stopped a single person can destroy a thread that is popular, agreeable and informative for hundreds.

Regarding the blog, yes you are right, I will miss the contribution of others and the discussion, so it will be a different blog, kind of a thread moderated by me. I will re-post on the main Body of the blog contributions and comments from all others that want to contribute to what is being discussed and I will be very interested in new subjects and interesting sailboats brought to my attention by others. I will re-post that too.

Of course, rude comments, coarse language, wise cracks and out of the subject comments will be sent to were they belong: garbage.

You are more then welcome to participate. You all are.

It started already. Just click on the link on the end of this post.

The best to all.

Paulo
DiasDePlaya likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-06-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Re: Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
For you all, thank you!

Lets hope they will find enough market in the States and that Americans will turn to sailing, cruising and racing again with the same vitality that showed in the past. They have state of the art American boats to do that if they want and certainly they will have much more if there is a market for it. The biggest difference between America and Europe is the size of the boat market. the boats more sold in America are the same boats that are more sold in Europe: Beneteau and Jeanneau.

Regarding your suggestion to rethink my options and continue this thread the way I had been doing, probably you don't know that I have tried, I have tried for a long time to find a way with the moderators to continue to run this thread the way it made it an unique success on sailnet.

Fact is that I tried several times and I did not get any answers that allowed it to be run without becoming a confrontational thread, with rude language and disagreeable for me. Yes I know that it was a very small number of people, some that even say that they don't follow this tread, but that is the reality of an open thread where if not stopped a single person can destroy a thread that is popular, agreeable and informative for hundreds.

Regarding the blog, yes you are right, I will miss the contribution of others and the discussion, so it will be a different blog, kind of a thread moderated by me. I will re-post on the main Body of the blog contributions and comments from all others that want to contribute to what is being discussed and I will be very interested in new subjects and interesting sailboats brought to my attention by others. I will re-post that too.

Of course, rude comments, coarse language, wise cracks and out of the subject comments will be sent to were they belong: garbage.

You are more then welcome to participate. You all are.

The best to all.

Paulo
Paulo,

Glad you're back with us... I was a silent reader on your thread and loved reading the articles and videos on new boats especially the European sector of manufacturing as they seem to be cutting edge in this field and regard you as the intellectual tour de force regarding this thread! It's too bad there seems to be bias by the moderators and as yet have not removed the offending posts... that tells all.

Nevertheless glad you are back and looking forward to some more intelligent discussions of the latest in sailboats and less childish behavior by others.

Chao
Old 03-06-2014

Esquitx is on a distinguished road

Thanks Paolo for all your fantastic work, I´ve been reading and following it almost every day since I discovered it and was a pleasure to read every page of this thread.

Thank also to bobperry and his gang for their efforts in showing us the authentic American Way to do "things", it was not necessary though, we were already well-informed enough.

Bye bye Sailnet.

P.S.: There is an old spaniard proverb saying "The monkey, even when dressed in silk, a monkey is still"
DiasDePlaya, opc11 and robelz like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.