Interesting Sailboats - Page 646 - SailNet Community
 1269Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #6451 of 6763 Old 03-23-2014
grumpy old man

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Rhap:
The boat was going to be a tiller boat from day one. The one thing I didn't like about the boat was the physical weight of the tiller. Had I been on my toes I would have spec'd carbon fibre from the get go. But I always pictured a varnished wood tiller. But it's about 7' long and at the butt about 5" by 6" so there is a lot of wood there. We'll lighten it up with a more dramatic taper for now but we are already taking about a CF tiller. You lift the tiller up to step under it when you tack and it's too cumbersome for me as is. But that's a minor thing.

I think this pic gives an idea of the tiller bulk.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6452 of 6763 Old 03-23-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Had I been on my toes I would have spec'd carbon fibre from the get go. But I always pictured a varnished wood tiller. But it's about 7' long and at the butt about 5" by 6" so there is a lot of wood there.
I like the wood tiller.

Would it work out if you hollowed it out from underneath and filled it in with CF or something just as strong? Less weight but still keep the look of the varnished wood.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #6453 of 6763 Old 03-23-2014
grumpy old man

Rhapper:
That would work. I had thought of a similar approach.
Kim met with the tiller builder today. Three things will happen. This tiller will go through a weight reduction process. A second wood tiller will be built even lighter. Thinking is on the way for a CF tiller. Maybe a CF tiller with a wood end on it. Maybe.

If this is the only " issue" we have to deal with them I am very happy. But we have yet to sail the boat in a breeze so I am still reserved. It takes me about a year to warm up to one of my new boats and begin to bond with it. I have to make sure it does everything right. The boat has to prove itself to me. I'll do my best to stay aloof for a while. Let the boat prove itself. That takes some time.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 03-23-2014 at 09:45 PM.
post #6454 of 6763 Old 03-23-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Even if I agree with most of the content of that post this is simply not true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod Squad View Post
Which brings us to the situation on this thread. A while back things began heating up between Paulo and Bob Perry on another thread. The moderators considered the situation carefully and reached out to Paulo, and asked him to tone it down. It was explained to him that his posts sometimes came off as being vitriolic and inappropriately aggressive; that much of what he was debating with Bob was a matter of semantics and did not represent an accurate reflection of the material being discussed. That while much of what he was arguing was correct, what Bob was trying to get across was that Paulo’s position was perhaps not completely accurate.
I was not asked to tone nothing done, I was asked not to debate Bob Perry points. Nobody said to me that my posts were " vitriolic and inappropriately aggressive" quite the contrary it was said that I was trying to debate constructively.

The only thing I asked about Bob participation on this thread, that contrary to mine on the other thread could not certainly be considered constructive, was that was agreed to be respected, regarding reciprocity to what was been asked to me, namely not to debate his points, I mean this:

"I... I will drop Bob a similar note. If at this point Bob starts debating your points, I will send him a similar note and ask him to please let you go as well"

I resent the lake of truth of those statements that give a false idea of my character.

Here is the full content of what was asked me and why. Even not agreeing I complied with what was asked to me.

First message:

"debate with Bob Perry....
Paulo,

I am not writing to lay blame here, but clearly there is a tension building between you and Bob Perry. I understand that you are only trying to engage in a constructive debate. But it has gotten past a point where Bob wishes to engage with you.

I can see both sides in this situation.

But Bob has sent a clar message which will somewhat harsh in tone is asking you to disengage from debating with him. Whether you think that he is right or wrong, I am asking you personnally to please just let this go.

Make your points on other topics, but please do not try to debate with Bob. If at this point Bob starts debating your points, I will send him a similar note and ask him to please let you go as well.

Respectfully,
Jeff"

second message:

"Re: Debate with Bob Perry....

Paulo,

I understand and I will drop Bob a similar note.

I also understand your point that on an open forum, people should be able to talk openly and not have the kind of tension that occurred there. I know both of you pretty well, at least in a virtual way. In many ways this is kind of tension not characteristic of either of you.

But it is there. As moderators when we have a particular member who is uncomfortable with another, for better or worse we reach out and ask them to disengage from debating with each other.

Thank you for your cooperation,
Jeff

Third and last message:

"Re: Debate with Bob Perry....
Paulo,

I understand the points that you are trying to make. These kinds of situations are never easy to moderate. My request to you was part of a broad general policy that whenever a member complains about another member's actions, either directly or indirectly, the moderators will review the interactions of the two members.

Unless one or the other clearly violates forum rules, we try to avoid even the appearance of taking sides. In that regard we communicate directly with each member and ask that they disengage from debate with that other member. And appearing neutral was the reason that both your's and Bob's posts were removed.

As the tensions were rising, the moderators decided that it was time to reach out. And in accordance with our standard procedures, when we ask one member to ignore another, we also ask all other parties to reciprocate. And that is what we did.

I sincerely hope that you will remain active on SailNet.

Jeff"

Last edited by PCP; 03-24-2014 at 06:44 AM.
post #6455 of 6763 Old 03-23-2014
grumpy old man

Gosh:
Not sure where all the anger came from. I'm not angry. I regret that I made Paulo so angry.
While the Mods layout of the situation left me in less than a pleasant light I thought it was accurate and objective. I've had my wrist slapped before by far less worthy men.

For me it is my life's work. I have fun with it. I chose a line of work that I liked. It makes me happy, not angry. Can't imagine why it makes people so up tight.

I'll do what I do, designing sailing yachts. This makes me comfortable with the fact that I know yacht design. I do it.

I have no interest at all in "debating" Paulo. He has his opinions and I have mine. I'm comfortable with that. If he wants to go head to head with me then he had better bring his A game. I am always eager to debate yacht design with anyone up until the point where it become personal attacks.

Why can't we talk about boats?
Isn't that what this thread was about?
Here is a pic of me being very satisfied with my work. Not words but actual work.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 03-23-2014 at 10:50 PM.
post #6456 of 6763 Old 03-23-2014
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod Squad View Post
In reality, there is no one solely to blame. Paulo had the right to ask that this thread be treated more seriously and to try to keep it more closely on topic. Bob had the right to insert relevant comments and to couch them in a casual and sometimes irreverent manner. The moderators did what we signed on to do, enforce the rules of the site, and try to maintain harmony and order in as fair-minded and balanced a manner as we can.
I blame it on the boogie.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

post #6457 of 6763 Old 03-23-2014
grumpy old man

Kind of like a John Lee Hooker thing?
I like that.

I like that. I played bass for him once when he was in Seattle. It was amazing.
chall03 likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

post #6458 of 6763 Old 03-23-2014
Picnic Sailor

[QUOTE=bobperry;1658593]

That is a beautiful boat Bob. Looks like a you all had a great day, albeit in colder sailing conditions than I generally prefer!

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

post #6459 of 6763 Old 03-23-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post

Here is a pic of me being very satisfied with my work. Not words but actual work.
Bob,

You do look like you're having fun with that big smile. I wish I had the skills to build a boat from one of your designs.

How many designs have you done? How many of them have been built?

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #6460 of 6763 Old 03-24-2014
grumpy old man

Rhap:
I have never counted all my designs. I'd guess around 300 and from those 300 different designs probably around 6,000 boats were built. Some of my production models sold very well and account for that high number.

Bob's Blog ....

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.