Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Yeah, I sent Paulo a PM saying the same thing.
The blog is beautiful. I promise not to muck it up.
Not that he'd let me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
I think I like....the doghouse is taking me a bit to get used to. The fact that Jimmy Cornell is a client has given them some attention for sure.

My 'win the lottery' boat has always been a Hallberg Rassy 48, I might add the Garcia in there as well.

Paulo your blog is looking fantastic.
Thanks Chall,

In fact Jimmy Cornell had chose Allures for his boat a long way back. He has been maintaining a collaboration with them, or better, Allures with him, in what regards sponsoring his books. I guess that the guys from Allures never expected that there was so many sailors (3) interested in a boat designed for high latitudes.

The Allures 45, that is the base for the Cornell boat have been a big sales success and his in fact a more overall balanced boat than the Exploration 45, better in more cruising situations and faster. I guess that in France there are lots of guys interested in going into the cold and not only, a friend of mine wants my collaboration in what regards a Northeast passage...I will give it to him on the condition of not going on that voyage The boat will be designed by Tony Castro.

Regards

Paulo

Old 03-25-2014

robelz is on a distinguished road

JPK 10.80, Archie A35 and Sun Fast 3600 met again at the 4ème Challenge de Printemps 2014.

This round goes to the Archie with six wins and three 2nd places in 10 races. I am a little bit disappointed by the JPK. I think they should have raced the new main sail!?

4ème Challenge de Printemps 2014 : inscrits et classements (IRC 2)

Last edited by robelz; 03-26-2014 at 04:25 AM.
Old 03-26-2014
Solina 27

Sternik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
First thought that comes to my mine is a german Jollenkreuzer. This one here, build in 1928, is stunning. The boat above, not so.
Old 03-26-2014
grumpy old man

Yeah, that German boat is beautiful, Stunning? Maybe. But you know what they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and my client loves his boat. That was my goal. We were not trying to reproduce and antique, just the feel of some of the old boats.

I originally drew Frankie with a defined curve to the top part of the mast, like some of the square meter boats. But the sailmakers hated it. I liked the look though. I got voted down on that detail when we found a Farr 40 rig was almost identical to what I had drawn and there were two used Farr 40 masts available. In retrospect it was a very good decision.

Very interesting headstay struts on the German boat. I have not seen it quite like that before. Not much supporting the top of that mast athwartships.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 03-26-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2014

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternik View Post
First thought that comes to my mine is a german Jollenkreuzer. This one here, build in 1928, is stunning. The boat above, not so.
That is a very neat picture. The curve in the upper portion of the rig reminds me of the Herreshoff S-Boats and

some of the Skerry Cruisers (22 square meter class).

The curved upper mast was a fad which probably originates with Manfred Curry's research into aerodynamics in the early 20th century. Manfred Curry's research was pivotal in understanding the behavior of wings and sails. He had access to the Fokker wind tunnel and tested actual bird wings and metal sails to measure how they behaved. His book on sailing aerodynamics was widely read and raised the bar on the understanding of how sailboats worked. It was full of illustrations comparing bird wings to sails.

One of his main areas of research was on how to obtain the most efficient sail plan (drive to drag) with a fixed amount of sail area. He came up with a fractionally rigged sloop sail plan with a very large mainsail, with a curved masthead and a comparatively small headsail. He employed this on a number of designs the most famous of which probably was his J-Jolie boat.

While Curry's design was a sliding gunther, which permits the sail to be reefed, I have aways wondered what happens when you try to reef a rig like the S-Boat or a Skerry with their curved upper mainsails, when the curved portion of the sail hits the straight portion of the track.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 03-26-2014 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-26-2014
grumpy old man

Jeff:
I think that may have been one of the reasons the sailmakers were not keen on my rig.

When I look at those pics they look to me a bit like they are on their way to a square topped main. Under some rules the curved topmast was a way to gain some unmeasured sail area (British 12's).

Kim, my client owned a 30 sq. meter so he was well acquainted with the curved mast look. But in the end practicality and the cost of a used Farr 40 rig won the day. Like I said, it was probably a good decision. So far it's working nicely.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 03-26-2014

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Jeff:
I think that may have been one of the reasons the sailmakers were not keen on my rig.

When I look at those pics they look to me a bit like they are on their way to a square topped main. Under some rules the curved topmast was a way to gain some unmeasured sail area (British 12's).

Kim, my client owned a 30 sq. meter so he was well acquainted with the curved mast look. But in the end practicality and the cost of a used Farr 40 rig won the day. Like I said, it was probably a good decision. So far it's working nicely.
One of the things that has always amazed me about Curry was he was an 18 year old kid when he wrote his first monograph on the aerodynamics of sailing around 1917. (His first real book was roughly 7 year later and his best know book a few years later than that.) But even more amazing that that, was that he pretty much anticipated the large roach mainsail, slightly overlapping jib sail plan in his research.

His work was aimed at a series of development classes which restricted the area of the sail (including roach) to a fixed amount. His research was trying to come up with the most efficient sail shape for all points of sailing using a constant sail area. That shape came from his wind tunnel testing.

Which is not to say that other classes used the curved mast as a rule beater way of obtaining unrated sail area.

Curry was one of those guys who just was into science and invention. He is credited with developing the tapered full length batten, and the cam cleat. He is also credited with creating the recombant bicycle (both two and 4 wheel versions). He was a medical doctor and while some of his theories have been dismissed over time, I understand that much of his basic research has supposedly held up very well.

I think the Farr 40 rig was the right call even if the curved rig might have been slightly more elegant looking.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 03-26-2014
grumpy old man

Thanks Jeff:
I had heard the name but that's it.
I love the look of the J boat. The main is damn near a wing sail profile. He was most certainly on the right track.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 03-26-2014

Ringle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternik View Post
I agree that the Jollenkreuzer is a lovely boat but what charms me most about that photo is the detailing in the gunwhales/bulwarks, the quality of the brightwork and the simple charm of a crew dressed gentleman style to go sailing. The cabin has a slightly frumpy charm atop a lovely hull.

I can't see what you don't like about the Sliver's lines; I, for one, would love to sail her. The owner has avoided the brightwork and `bronziness' of classics back east which speaks of a desire to simply sail the boat. I think her lines are nicer..

Last edited by Ringle; 03-26-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.