Interesting Sailboats - Page 650 - SailNet Community
 1269Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #6491 of Old 03-27-2014
grumpy old man

Re: Interesting Sailboats

Sap:
Yes, that is unfortunate. But it is a book I keep right beside my computer. In fact I have a slight buzz in my computer and when I lean the Encyclopedia up against the case the buzz goes away. It's a very useful book.

I'm am amazed at the obscure designers who are in the Encyclopedia. Heck, I'm in there! I get lost just paging through it at times. Can't understand why Kim Holman was left out, He had an amazing eye and wonderful sensitivity with lines.

Dad:
But I like to make fun of things including myself. You are going to have to either ban me or put up with my Aussie sense of humor. I can find humor in just about everything. For me it's a defense mechanism. It helps me cope and keep things in perspective. I don't like personal attacks. I like thread drift. Life is like that. I love a variety of opinions even when I disagree. In good honest debate we can often learn a lot. I do my best to help when I can. It was never a popularity contest for me. My dogs love me so I have already won that where it counts. I'm sorry Paulo chucked it in. But I can visit his site.

I love my Subaru.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6492 of Old 03-27-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Dad:
But I like to make fun of things including myself.

I love my Subaru.
You definitely have the right moderator for that!! No issue there.

As far as the Subaru... well, sorry, but that is a lost cause. Btw, did it come with granola and a pair of Jesus sandals? (snicker)

Brian

Sailnet Moderator

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

post #6493 of Old 03-27-2014
grumpy old man

If you want to denigrate the Subaru I think you are very misinformed. I live on the beach at the bottom of a very steep and windy road. The Subaru can always make it up the hill in snow when many of my neighbors can't do it in their four wheel drives. I just bought another one and gave it to my son when he had the new baby. I feel much better knowing he drives a Subaru. My family has been avid skiers for many years and The Subaru has proven the perfect car for that job. But I really want a Jaguar.

I think it would have been very evident by now that my Subaru came with Jesus sandals. And it's a good thing. My old ones were wearing out.
Sapwraia likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

post #6494 of Old 03-27-2014

Quote:
If you want to denigrate the Subaru I think you are very misinformed. I live on the beach at the bottom of a very steep and windy road. The Subaru can always make it up the hill in snow when many of my neighbors can't do it in their four wheel drives. I just bought another one and gave it to my son when he had the new baby. I feel much better knowing he drives a Subaru. My family has been avid skiers for many years and The Subaru has proven the perfect car for that job. But I really want a Jaguar.

I think it would have been very evident by now that my Subaru came with Jesus sandals. And it's a good thing. My old ones were wearing out.
I keep threatening to buy a Subi Forester on the basis its the ultimate value for money high performance unpretentious utility vehicle ........ the family think I'm joking
post #6495 of Old 03-27-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:

No, Bob, I spent time in the PNW. I know very well that Subaru has a following there unlike anywhere in the country. I was poking fun at you. Not a thing wrong with the cars... although I must say I have never found them very appealing to the eye!! But the people in the PNW swear by those cars... but why do they always seem to choose blue???

Brian

Sailnet Moderator

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

post #6496 of Old 03-27-2014
grumpy old man

Mine's white and every other car on the beach is a Forester. Mines an Outback but I'd do a Forester the next time. My son has a beautiful black Outback with the big engine. Drool. But if my young dog calms down I could buy the Jaguar but I'm stuck with the Sub for a while. For now it's the dogmobile and I dare not even think about a new car. Don't see a new Jag in my future. I have a problem with a car that cost more than my first house.

But lets talk about boats. I watched a Pogo vid today. That looks like the boat for me.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 03-27-2014 at 03:21 PM.
post #6497 of Old 03-27-2014
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Mine's white and every other car on the beach is a Forester. Mines an Outback but I'd do a Forester the next time. My son has a beautiful black Outback with the big engine. Drool. But if my young dog calms down I could buy the Jaguar but I'm stuck with the Sub for a while. For now it's the dogmobile and I dare not even think about a new car. Don't see a new Jag in my future. I have a problem with a car that cost more than my first house.

But lets talk about boats. I watched a Pogo vid today. That looks like the boat for me.
Interesting boats has turned into interesting cars overnight??

I like Subaru's as well. My inlaws live in 'the outback' they have 3 Subaru's. If they see a sealed road once a month it is a good month.

The Pogo 12.50 was European Sailboat of the year in 2012(?). I want to really like it. The sailor in me loves it. The cruiser in me is wondering where everything goes and is trying to picture it with a Magma grill on the stern rail.

Maybe that is a cultural thing...but for what I define cruising ( More than 'holiday' cruises) I wonder. I believe Paulo pointed to one or two who were in fact circumnavigating if I recall correctly.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

post #6498 of Old 03-27-2014
Senior Moment Member

Quote:

Find a good used Jag Bob - they depreciate horrendously. I bought my wife's XJR birthday present, in very nice shape, for less than the original owner paid in sales tax.

3 1/2 years later we're still driving it and still love it.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #6499 of Old 03-27-2014
grumpy old man

Chall:
I think what we want in our cruising boats is about a lot more than boat speed. You have to be able to go below and feel that you are in an environment that satisfies some subjective needs. I'm not sure the Pogo would do that for me. On the other hand I love fast boats that are a kick to sail so that part of the Pogo I can enjoy. Maybe I could get comfy below in no time. I'll probably never know. But it's very easy to bond with a boat that sails great.

Jon:
I rented a Jag in So cal and it did not have the headroom I need. I had to stick my head out the sunroof.

Bob's Blog ....

post #6500 of Old 03-28-2014

Quote:
Chall:
I think what we want in our cruising boats is about a lot more than boat speed. You have to be able to go below and feel that you are in an environment that satisfies some subjective needs. I'm not sure the Pogo would do that for me. On the other hand I love fast boats that are a kick to sail so that part of the Pogo I can enjoy. Maybe I could get comfy below in no time. I'll probably never know. But it's very easy to bond with a boat that sails great.
On the basis that extended cruising involves long periods at anchor, the thing that irritates me as much as going too slow is a yacht that won't sit still. This can deplete the relaxation factor at times! Observing how a range of yachts behave in a large anchorage, this seems mainly to be a function of displacement and hull form ?

Seems that speed and good behaviour at anchor are a compromise (this assumes more than sufficient scope & chain etc.)
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.