Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Ringle:
We knew from the start that we couldn't pull off the authentic look of an antique boat. My fear was that we would end up with neither fish nor fowl. I see it frequently. So we eliminated the teak toe rail, cabin trunk eyebrow and hatch trimming and went all composite for a clean, kind of modern, look. This way we have kept upkeep to a true minimum. Soap and water is all it takes. It is what it is, a composite boat.

But I respect different tastes. That's what keeps me in business. While you may think it's my sparkling, congenial and pleasant personality that lands the commissions it's probably more to do with the range of design styles I am comfortable working in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternik View Post
First thought that comes to my mine is a german Jollenkreuzer. This one here, build in 1928, is stunning. The boat above, not so.
Somebody has to say it.....

Sternik, your taste is all in your mouth.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-26-2014
grumpy old man

Jon:
we are all entitled to our aesthetic opinions.

Sterniks are way bad but that's ok. He likes what he likes.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 03-26-2014
Solina 27

Sternik is on a distinguished road

SloopJonB, your comment alone shows that your views and views of others like you, contributed to the total destruction of this thread. There is a reason why vehicles designed on this continent are not a sales hit in the other parts of the world. Same goes for boats. No mass production boat builder will stay profitable by selling "new old boats" and global market economics have proven that time after time.

The Jollenkreuzers where ahead of their time when they were build, together with the boats mentioned by Jeff H on the previous page. First operational sail wings were used in the late 1930s and not on AC boats, as it is believed. So from my perspective, sir, it is your taste that is, well, dated.
Old 03-27-2014

Ringle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
SloopJonB, your comment alone shows that your views and views of others like you, contributed to the total destruction of this thread. There is a reason why vehicles designed on this continent are not a sales hit in the other parts of the world. Same goes for boats. No mass production boat builder will stay profitable by selling "new old boats" and global market economics have proven that time after time.

The Jollenkreuzers where ahead of their time when they were build, together with the boats mentioned by Jeff H on the previous page. First operational sail wings were used in the late 1930s and not on AC boats, as it is believed. So from my perspective, sir, it is your taste that is, well, dated.
Huh? "total destruction of this thread"

Paulo took his ball and went home.

Bob is a very successful yacht designer. Surely that makes him an interesting and valuable contributor to this thread?... even if you don't like his boats or agree with what he says.

Being neither a successful yacht designer nor having any taste, you simply sound petulant, sir. (never enough use of the word `sir', don't you find?)
Old 03-27-2014
grumpy old man

The Twisted Knickers Club is alive and well here.

I believe, sir, that people are responsible for their own actions. Jon didn't make anyone do anything, sir.

Checked in the ENCLYCLOPEDIA of YACHT DESIGNERS for more info on Curry but sadly he did not make the book. That surprised me.
Cruisingdad likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 03-27-2014

kimbottles is on a distinguished road

If you look at the way the Francis Lee was engineered and built you would see that she is not in any way a "new old boat". She is very modern in her design and construction. However she was not built to satisfy anyone except Bob and me. So it is perfectly OK if she does not appeal to you. No harm no foul. Cheers! Kim.
Rhapsody-NS27 and Sapwraia like this.
Old 03-27-2014
grumpy old man

Bob's Blog ....

Old 03-27-2014
Senior Moment Member

Quote:

I'd check things more carefully before making pronouncements about the rest of the world - Buick is hugely popular in China - the worlds biggest car market. In fact IIRC it is THE biggest luxury brand there. American cars have never been popular elsewhere mainly due to their size - they are designed for American roads and don't fit well on country lanes. Big V8's are frequently heavily taxed elsewhere as well.

I've watched people trying to drive big American cars in Europe - it's amusing to watch them try to fit them in to those little spaces. Just imagine driving a Suburban in London

When they come here and drive on our roads they frequently say "Now I get it!" about their size, suspension & design.

P.S. - There's no-one like me.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 03-27-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2014
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringle View Post
you simply sound petulant, sir. (never enough use of the word `sir', don't you find?)
My son the cop says that a major "tell" of a persons guilt is when they call the cops "Sir".

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.