Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2014

Sapwraia is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I'd check things more carefully before making pronouncements about the rest of the world - Buick is hugely popular in China - the worlds biggest car market. In fact IIRC it is THE biggest luxury brand there. American cars have never been popular elsewhere mainly due to their size - they are designed for American roads and don't fit well on country lanes. Big V8's are frequently heavily taxed elsewhere as well.

I've watched people trying to drive big American cars in Europe - it's amusing to watch them try to fit them in to those little spaces. Just imagine driving a Suburban in London

When they come here and drive on our roads they frequently say "Now I get it!" about their size, suspension & design.

P.S. - There's no-one like me.
We digress briefly from sailing but living here in the UAE - the ultimate "neutral" left hand drive car market in the world where everything is available, there's plenty of cash and U.S. brands are plentiful but struggle despite very competitive pricing - its very apparent that U.S. cars look quite "used" after 3 years compared to the competition - the paint & trim just doesn't hang together. There are exceptions though - the younger guys in the office were just commenting this week how there suddenly seems to be a lot more Dodge Challengers on the road here (compared to Mustangs & Camaros) ........ I do have a soft spot for classic big block V8's despite driving high tech machinery on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

The fabulous thing about how this thread could really be fun is if you have a variety of different views on what is an "Interesting Sailboat". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That being said, let's all be friends and promise not to make fun of anything unless it starts with Sea and ends with Ray. We are all on the same team here!!

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post

Checked in the ENCLYCLOPEDIA of YACHT DESIGNERS for more info on Curry but sadly he did not make the book. That surprised me.
Bob, that's one of the most important books on my shelf ! Despite the massive publishing achievement that it represents I've been surprised at the number of successful NA's that have been omitted and how others have been disproportionately represented. Most recently I noticed that Kim Holman and Holman & Pye are left out:
Sailboat designs of Kim¬*Holman by year
Old 03-27-2014

kimbottles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapwraia View Post
Bob, that's one of the most important books on my shelf ! Despite the massive publishing achievement that it represents I've been surprised at the number of successful NA's that have been omitted and how others have been disproportionately represented. Most recently I noticed that Kim Holman and Holman & Pye are left out:
Sailboat designs of Kim¬*Holman by year
I was one of the subscribers of that effort (subscribers put up the front money.)

It was a huge undertaking and the publishers labored long and hard on it. It is not perfect but it is a very good effort. Maybe some day they will put out an addendum to pick up the missed designers. I hope they do. Kim
Old 03-27-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Sap:
Yes, that is unfortunate. But it is a book I keep right beside my computer. In fact I have a slight buzz in my computer and when I lean the Encyclopedia up against the case the buzz goes away. It's a very useful book.

I'm am amazed at the obscure designers who are in the Encyclopedia. Heck, I'm in there! I get lost just paging through it at times. Can't understand why Kim Holman was left out, He had an amazing eye and wonderful sensitivity with lines.

Dad:
But I like to make fun of things including myself. You are going to have to either ban me or put up with my Aussie sense of humor. I can find humor in just about everything. For me it's a defense mechanism. It helps me cope and keep things in perspective. I don't like personal attacks. I like thread drift. Life is like that. I love a variety of opinions even when I disagree. In good honest debate we can often learn a lot. I do my best to help when I can. It was never a popularity contest for me. My dogs love me so I have already won that where it counts. I'm sorry Paulo chucked it in. But I can visit his site.

I love my Subaru.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 03-27-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Dad:
But I like to make fun of things including myself.

I love my Subaru.
You definitely have the right moderator for that!! No issue there.

As far as the Subaru... well, sorry, but that is a lost cause. Btw, did it come with granola and a pair of Jesus sandals? (snicker)

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-27-2014
grumpy old man

If you want to denigrate the Subaru I think you are very misinformed. I live on the beach at the bottom of a very steep and windy road. The Subaru can always make it up the hill in snow when many of my neighbors can't do it in their four wheel drives. I just bought another one and gave it to my son when he had the new baby. I feel much better knowing he drives a Subaru. My family has been avid skiers for many years and The Subaru has proven the perfect car for that job. But I really want a Jaguar.

I think it would have been very evident by now that my Subaru came with Jesus sandals. And it's a good thing. My old ones were wearing out.
Sapwraia likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 03-27-2014

Quote:
If you want to denigrate the Subaru I think you are very misinformed. I live on the beach at the bottom of a very steep and windy road. The Subaru can always make it up the hill in snow when many of my neighbors can't do it in their four wheel drives. I just bought another one and gave it to my son when he had the new baby. I feel much better knowing he drives a Subaru. My family has been avid skiers for many years and The Subaru has proven the perfect car for that job. But I really want a Jaguar.

I think it would have been very evident by now that my Subaru came with Jesus sandals. And it's a good thing. My old ones were wearing out.
I keep threatening to buy a Subi Forester on the basis its the ultimate value for money high performance unpretentious utility vehicle ........ the family think I'm joking
Old 03-27-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:

No, Bob, I spent time in the PNW. I know very well that Subaru has a following there unlike anywhere in the country. I was poking fun at you. Not a thing wrong with the cars... although I must say I have never found them very appealing to the eye!! But the people in the PNW swear by those cars... but why do they always seem to choose blue???

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-27-2014
grumpy old man

Mine's white and every other car on the beach is a Forester. Mines an Outback but I'd do a Forester the next time. My son has a beautiful black Outback with the big engine. Drool. But if my young dog calms down I could buy the Jaguar but I'm stuck with the Sub for a while. For now it's the dogmobile and I dare not even think about a new car. Don't see a new Jag in my future. I have a problem with a car that cost more than my first house.

But lets talk about boats. I watched a Pogo vid today. That looks like the boat for me.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 03-27-2014 at 03:21 PM.