Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2014
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Mine's white and every other car on the beach is a Forester. Mines an Outback but I'd do a Forester the next time. My son has a beautiful black Outback with the big engine. Drool. But if my young dog calms down I could buy the Jaguar but I'm stuck with the Sub for a while. For now it's the dogmobile and I dare not even think about a new car. Don't see a new Jag in my future. I have a problem with a car that cost more than my first house.

But lets talk about boats. I watched a Pogo vid today. That looks like the boat for me.
Interesting boats has turned into interesting cars overnight??

I like Subaru's as well. My inlaws live in 'the outback' they have 3 Subaru's. If they see a sealed road once a month it is a good month.

The Pogo 12.50 was European Sailboat of the year in 2012(?). I want to really like it. The sailor in me loves it. The cruiser in me is wondering where everything goes and is trying to picture it with a Magma grill on the stern rail.

Maybe that is a cultural thing...but for what I define cruising ( More than 'holiday' cruises) I wonder. I believe Paulo pointed to one or two who were in fact circumnavigating if I recall correctly.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Mine's white and every other car on the beach is a Forester. Mines an Outback but I'd do a Forester the next time. My son has a beautiful black Outback with the big engine. Drool. But if my young dog calms down I could buy the Jaguar but I'm stuck with the Sub for a while. For now it's the dogmobile and I dare not even think about a new car. Don't see a new Jag in my future. I have a problem with a car that cost more than my first house.

But lets talk about boats. I watched a Pogo vid today. That looks like the boat for me.
Find a good used Jag Bob - they depreciate horrendously. I bought my wife's XJR birthday present, in very nice shape, for less than the original owner paid in sales tax.

3 1/2 years later we're still driving it and still love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-27-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Chall:
I think what we want in our cruising boats is about a lot more than boat speed. You have to be able to go below and feel that you are in an environment that satisfies some subjective needs. I'm not sure the Pogo would do that for me. On the other hand I love fast boats that are a kick to sail so that part of the Pogo I can enjoy. Maybe I could get comfy below in no time. I'll probably never know. But it's very easy to bond with a boat that sails great.

Jon:
I rented a Jag in So cal and it did not have the headroom I need. I had to stick my head out the sunroof.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 03-28-2014

Sapwraia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Chall:
I think what we want in our cruising boats is about a lot more than boat speed. You have to be able to go below and feel that you are in an environment that satisfies some subjective needs. I'm not sure the Pogo would do that for me. On the other hand I love fast boats that are a kick to sail so that part of the Pogo I can enjoy. Maybe I could get comfy below in no time. I'll probably never know. But it's very easy to bond with a boat that sails great.
On the basis that extended cruising involves long periods at anchor, the thing that irritates me as much as going too slow is a yacht that won't sit still. This can deplete the relaxation factor at times! Observing how a range of yachts behave in a large anchorage, this seems mainly to be a function of displacement and hull form ?

Seems that speed and good behaviour at anchor are a compromise (this assumes more than sufficient scope & chain etc.)
Old 03-28-2014
grumpy old man

Sap:
A boat's motion at anchor is a function of form stability primarily. The "tender" boat with low form stability will be more quiet at anchor while the boat with high initial stability "stiffness" will react to each passing ripple and wake. This is the same reason that initially tender boats are said to have the "best motion" at sea. Unfortunately it more fun to sail a boat that is initially stiff usually. Most people prefer to heel less.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 03-28-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Thought behavior at anchor was more complicated. Issues of lateral plane, displacement, windage and locale of windage, "fineness" of bow, rocker,gyradius and other issues enter in to it. Simple things are sometimes most annoying like the slap of small waves on the underside of non immersed sections of the stern or the boat "hunting" and sailing at anchor especially when it jerks back and forth. Have found simple stuff like setting up two long snubbers or a steady sail can make all the difference. Would appreciate further expansion of issues at anchor from Bob's wealth of knowledge.
Old 03-28-2014
grumpy old man

Out:
I was addressing only the stability aspect. I watch boats sail back and forth on their rodes all the time. Sometimes I see boats that I don't expect to sail at anchor merrily tacking back and forth. But I have been able to isolate what makes a boat quiet that way. Certainly a riding sail works. I also used a "sentinal" weight running down my rode in a crowded harbor on a 70'er and it worked magic. Can't say I have this figured out yet. My buddie's big Boston Whaler has tons of windage aft and yet it tacks back and forth all day, quite quickly.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 03-28-2014

Quote:
Sap:
A boat's motion at anchor is a function of form stability primarily. The "tender" boat with low form stability will be more quiet at anchor while the boat with high initial stability "stiffness" will react to each passing ripple and wake. This is the same reason that initially tender boats are said to have the "best motion" at sea. Unfortunately it more fun to sail a boat that is initially stiff usually. Most people prefer to heel less.
Bob, presumably the way some boats seem to move around a lot more on their mooring in undisturbed water (our J/130 used to "sail" up over the anchor warp and meander all over the place) - is a function of displacement ?
Old 03-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapwraia View Post
Bob, presumably the way some boats seem to move around a lot more on their mooring in undisturbed water (our J/130 used to "sail" up over the anchor warp and meander all over the place) - is a function of displacement ?
i see you've answered this question in the earlier post
Old 03-28-2014

Shockwave is on a distinguished road

It's fun to race a boat that can break out but for cruising I prefer displacement. The ride is softer, the weight of carrying gear doesn't harm performance as dramatically, and they seem to lie to an anchor or mooring more sedately.