Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2014

bjung is on a distinguished road
Re: Fipofix

After 2 attempts by Norbert Sedlacek, his son Harald finally made it. Without a working autopilot.
Sail-World.com : Austrian sailor crosses the Atlantic in 4.9m FIPOFIX in 87 days
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Paulo

In the link I posted it states that their Open 40 was towed to Puerto Williams by the Navy.

On your blog you say they lost the boat.

Which is correct?
In the link you posted it gives the idea that the boat was towed at the same time of the rescue or even that then skipper was on the towed boat. It was not like that, the boat was abandoned and they were rescued in difficult conditions and transported by a Navy ship to Punta Arenas.

?Agradezco a la Armada por estar en puerto seguro con mi familia? | ELPINGUINO.COM

The boat rescue happened later also by the Chilean navy. Later James Burwick flew from Punta Arenas to Puerto William to recover the boat.

At the time I posted I did now that the boat had been abandoned but not that a towing operation was been carried and did not follow the story further.

Thanks. I will modify the post.

regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
After 2 attempts by Norbert Sedlacek, his son Harald finally made it. Without a working autopilot.
Sail-World.com : Austrian sailor crosses the Atlantic in 4.9m FIPOFIX in 87 days
More information here:

Interesting Sailboats: NORBERT SEDLACEK MADE IT!!!!!!

Interesting Sailboats: THE CRAZIEST SEA ADVENTURES !!!

Interesting Sailboats: NORBERT SEDLACEK AND FIPOFIX:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-15-2014

bjung is on a distinguished road

It wasn't Norbert, it was his son Harald!!
Old 04-15-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Great post Bjung. Fascinating story. Those twin rudders couldn't be more outboard on that boat. I'm having a hard time imagining 87 days. It must be great to have an experience like that to share in common with your father.

BTW:
Don't bother Paulo with facts.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 04-15-2014

Anders B is on a distinguished road

The theam of this thread is "Interesting Sailboats". You are discussing more than one month old news. About the Anasazi Girl that is quite another story. It is obvious that you are not updated on neither Anasazi Girl nor "Interesting Sailboats". And noone cares about the topic of the thread. It is absolutely necessary that someone that cares about the topic is active and doing research related o the topic. This thread has become a disaster since PCB left. I think it is time to close the Sailnet.com "Interesting Sailboats" thread.
sonnyboy likes this.
Old 04-15-2014
grumpy old man

You are entitled to your opinion anders but it is only your opinion. I say we keep it open. Nobody is forcing you to come here. If it bothers you so much you can always just go away.
mitiempo likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 04-15-2014

Anders B is on a distinguished road

Simple as that. Just leave. I will follow this thred a week or so. Please present something interesting!
Old 04-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapwraia View Post
We digress briefly from sailing but living here in the UAE - the ultimate "neutral" left hand drive car market in the world where everything is available, there's plenty of cash and U.S. brands are plentiful but struggle despite very competitive pricing - its very apparent that U.S. cars look quite "used" after 3 years compared to the competition - the paint & trim just doesn't hang together. There are exceptions though - the younger guys in the office were just commenting this week how there suddenly seems to be a lot more Dodge Challengers on the road here (compared to Mustangs & Camaros) ........ I do have a soft spot for classic big block V8's despite driving high tech machinery on a daily basis.
Well this is the spirit of European cars:

That's why Rallies are so popular in Europe and so unpopular in the US. Same thing with automatic gearbox. Any European that like to drive will look for a twisting road or twisting track to have fun. No fun with an automatic gearbox or with a big American car. Here you see Europeans and Japanese cars. Not a single American one. Cars or boats, the Europeans like it mores sportive and more fun, Americans heavier and more comfortable....but I think that is starting to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternik View Post
..There is a reason why vehicles designed on this continent are not a sales hit in the other parts of the world. Same goes for boats. No mass production boat builder will stay profitable by selling "new old boats" and global market economics have proven that time after time.
I agree, Americans have a particular taste, or had since in what regards cars and boats seem to be importing more and more, to the point of making factories there to make European cars and boats. It seems to me American taste in cars and boats is becoming more and more like everybody else's taste, a good one.

I think it is a question of time till they will have interesting cars and boats. Regarding boats they have great design cabinets and Na, look at Farr, Reichel & Pugh, Mark Mills...they are all making great contemporary boats mostly to European brands. With time (I hope) they will be designing for American brands and then they will be competitive in Europe and everywhere, like Jboats is already in Europe.

Regards

Paulo

Old 04-15-2014
grumpy old man

I haven't owned an American car since 1969 when I bought my first BMW 2002. Great car. Maybe I was ahead of the curve.

Bob's Blog ....