Interesting Sailboats - Page 659 - SailNet Community
 1269Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #6581 of 6763 Old 04-17-2014
grumpy old man

Re: Interesting Sailboats

C&C will always be known as a Canadian design team, Cuthbertson and Cassian, regardless of how you want to cook it Paulo. The two Georges were Canadians. Simple as that. You seem confused. Canadians do not like being called "Americans". Ask one. I did some consulting work with C&C. In Canada not America.

There is much you do not know about me and where I grew up.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 04-17-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6582 of 6763 Old 04-17-2014
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
But C&C had always been an American firm:

"C&C ... the premiere race boat builder in North America"
History - C&C Yachts

As an European allow me to have a less self centered perspective: C&C are American boats (North American if you want to be picky), were a Canadian brand (not a US one).

I know that most US citizens have a self centered view regarding what is America and American and find they are the only Americans but that is not a global view even if a widely shared one.

Considering C&C American boats is as right has considering Bavaria or Grand Soleil European boats. France is the bigger producer of sailboats but not all European sailboats are French, as well as not all American boats are from the the US.
C&C was never an American firm, they were always Canadian until they were sold to American interests. Even during their short lived attempt to set up some manufacturing in the States, they remained a Canadian company.

As were Grampian, Bayfield, Hughes, Northstar, Chaser, Martin, Cooper, Markos, Philbrooks, Reliance, Gozzard, Waterline, etc. etc. etc.

All Canadian, not American.

Also, we are able to recognize the different countries in Europe - that Swans come from Finland, Beneteaus from France, Bavarias from Germany etc.

They aren't all simply "European" boats to us.

It's not too tough.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #6583 of 6763 Old 04-18-2014

It is only logical that Canada has a great sailing history. We have more than half the coastline in the world. The US is way down the list with less than 10% of Canada's coastline. As a matter of fact countries thought to be quite small geographically, like Norway and Japan have more coastline than the US, which is in 8th place.

Brian
Living aboard in Victoria Harbour
post #6584 of 6763 Old 04-18-2014
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
It is only logical that Canada has a great sailing history. We have more than half the coastline in the world. The US is way down the list with less than 10% of Canada's coastline. As a matter of fact countries thought to be quite small geographically, like Norway and Japan have more coastline than the US, which is in 8th place.
This depends on which reference you use. If you use the World Resources Institute values, Canada has the most coastline, with the US at number 2, with about half of Canada's coastline. Much of Canada's coast is open only for a short time each year (like the Northwest Passage), while a substantial part of the US coast is open year around (west coast, gulf coast, Florida east coast, etc).

I assume you got your numbers from the The World Factbook. Note that the wikipedia page on coastline length states that for the The World Factbook, "Note that the scales at which The World Factbook figures were measured are not stated, nor is it known whether the figures are all reported using the same scale, thus the figures are not necessarily comparable across different countries."

post #6585 of 6763 Old 04-18-2014

Actually the British Columbia coastline, from the US border to the Alaskan border, is 25,725 kilometers (15,985 miles) - more than the entire US coastline. It includes 40,000 islands of varying sizes, Vancouver Island and Haida Gwai being the largest. Some of the best cruising in the world.

Brian
post #6586 of 6763 Old 04-18-2014
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Actually the British Columbia coastline, from the US border to the Alaskan border, is 25,725 kilometers (15,985 miles) - more than the entire US coastline. It includes 40,000 islands of varying sizes, Vancouver Island and Haida Gwai being the largest. Some of the best cruising in the world.
According to the World Resources Institute, Canada has 265,523 km of coastline, and the US has 133,312 km.

From another source, the Chesapeake bay has 18,804 km of coastline.

Last edited by slap; 04-18-2014 at 02:48 AM.
post #6587 of 6763 Old 04-18-2014

Interesting that both those disparate measurements were from US sources - one the US Defence Mapping Agency and the other the CIA.

No wonder the US Government can't agree on anything.

Brian
post #6588 of 6763 Old 04-18-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post

Also, we are able to recognize the different countries in Europe - that Swans come from Finland, Beneteaus from France, Bavarias from Germany etc.

They aren't all simply "European" boats to us.

It's not too tough.
Yes, they are all European boats to you or to anybody else that knows geography. The same way US boats and Canadian boats are American boats, more precisely North American boats. That is not an opinion but a fact...unless you decide to change Geography.

Here you have the Canadians of C&C saying that they are North American and making North American boats:

"C&C ... the premiere race boat builder in North America"

Interesting Sailboats

Call it what you want, you are not obliged to respect the official Geography, you can make one of your one, one where you can put also Ireland in UK, for that matter.

This discussion makes no sense, I am out.

post #6589 of 6763 Old 04-18-2014
grumpy old man

Silly argument. You may want to talk to a couple of Canadians. You seem to want to lump Canadians and Americans together or Canada and America together. That's not going to go down very well my my many Canadian friends. You simply do not know what you are talking about.
But your gone so it doesn't matter. You keep telling us your gone anyway.

And just for accuracy sake:
You say Ireland is not in the UK. There are two countries that use "Ireland" in the name. Northern Ireland and The Republic of Ireland. There is no just plain "Ireland". My bad for being lazy and saying just plain "Ireland". But silly Paulo, you correct me then you make the exact same mistake. In the future I am going to be more careful when I refer to that area.

"Ireland" is as accurate as saying "North America". They are both two different countries.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 04-18-2014 at 01:40 PM.
post #6590 of 6763 Old 04-18-2014

Re: Dehler 46

The new Dehler 46, which Paulo posted about a while back, is starting to take shape.
http://www.dehler.com/news/article/a...eel-the-fut-1/
The deck looks very sleek, with a low cabintop. I suspect freeboard will provide standing height below.

http://www.dehler.com/nc/new-46/docu...File%5D=264581

Interresting is, that the 46, just like the 38 does not have chines. Obviously Dehler is interrested in a fast boat. If J/V or Dehler thought chines were necessary for better performance they would certainly incorporate them. Thoughts?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.