Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Wait - I live in Texas. I thought we owned both Canada AND Mexico. What the hell? I need to hit Wikipedia.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Bjung:
I went back to North Carolina last month for 5 days to look in on the CATARI project. I went with my buddy Tim O'Connell who is assisting me on the project. Tim is doing the deck layout and the electronics package. Tim is a very good racing sailor and knows technology and navigational interfaces very well. He has an accounting background and is a whizz at detailing and cataloging all the part numbers for a complex deck like CATARI has.

The center cockpit, ketch rig and pilot house put pressures on the deck layout you don't often encounter. When we were there we did a lot of work refining the position of the deck gear and mocking up as much as possible on the molded deck. The local Harken rep stopped by to chip in his 2 cents worth much to Tim's annoyance. Tim has put a tremendous amount of time into this deck.

Considerable time was spent mocking up the binnacle and planning just what would go on it and exactly where it would be placed in the cockpit. Steve Brodie took a ball of foam and fashioned a faceted old style compass.

The rest of our time was spent below going over various details of the interior. As in every project, as the boat comes together changes are inevitable and we needed to make adjustments to kepi everything working together. It's fun. I did not take any
photos.

The hull is amazing. It does not have any clear coat on it yet but even then it is as nice a paint job as I have ever seen.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 04-17-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Wait - I live in Texas. I thought we owned both Canada AND Mexico. What the hell? I need to hit Wikipedia.
Texas is WAAAY too small to take us over. We could tuck it away in the Northeast corner of the province, where no-one ever goes.

The way we hear it up here, Mexico has pretty well repossessed the whole southwestern U.S. from Texas to the coast.
smackdaddy likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 04-17-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Mark is as much American as I am Australian.
Funny, I thought you were born In America and I did not know that Australia played and plays a big part in your live.

Mark Mills was born in S Francisco, California, studied on Willamette University in Oregon, and his first contact with Naval Architecture was with Tom Wylie, the San Francisco NA. He studied Naval Architecture on the best University (Southampton, UK) returned to the US and he says that "worked a bit for Bob Perry" in Seattle. He says also that even if their parents moved to Ireland when he was 11 years old he passed 50% of his time on US and 50% in Europe. Of course I don't know if he feels more European or American but he is refereed as:

"Ireland-based American designer, Mark Mills"

Under the skin of the new Alegre Mills 72 mini maxi | The Daily Sail

Mark Mills has been associated with the best that had happened in what regards contemporary edge production yacht sailboat brands in the the US. He did not only designed the two new C&C sailboats as well as the Summit line of performance cruisers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
C&C will always be known of as a Canadian design team.
As Mr Pelicano pointed out C&C is today an US firm:

"US Watercraft LLC is joining up with award winning yacht designer Mark Mills to create its new C&C Yachts models. Building on the current world wide success of the Mills Design"

and probably they will succeed (I hope) in raising the brand to its former glory. They have not only great designs has C&C will be lead by Barry Carroll, the founder of Carroll Marine the one that built the Mumm30 and Farr40 on the last decade.

But C&C had always been an American firm:

"C&C ... the premiere race boat builder in North America"
History - C&C Yachts

As an European allow me to have a less self centered perspective: C&C are American boats (North American if you want to be picky), were a Canadian brand (not a US one).

I know that most US citizens have a self centered view regarding what is America and American and find they are the only Americans but that is not a global view even if a widely shared one.

Considering C&C American boats is as right has considering Bavaria or Grand Soleil European boats. France is the bigger producer of sailboats but not all European sailboats are French, as well as not all American boats are from the the US.

Last edited by PCP; 04-17-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

C&C will always be known as a Canadian design team, Cuthbertson and Cassian, regardless of how you want to cook it Paulo. The two Georges were Canadians. Simple as that. You seem confused. Canadians do not like being called "Americans". Ask one. I did some consulting work with C&C. In Canada not America.

There is much you do not know about me and where I grew up.

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 04-17-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
But C&C had always been an American firm:

"C&C ... the premiere race boat builder in North America"
History - C&C Yachts

As an European allow me to have a less self centered perspective: C&C are American boats (North American if you want to be picky), were a Canadian brand (not a US one).

I know that most US citizens have a self centered view regarding what is America and American and find they are the only Americans but that is not a global view even if a widely shared one.

Considering C&C American boats is as right has considering Bavaria or Grand Soleil European boats. France is the bigger producer of sailboats but not all European sailboats are French, as well as not all American boats are from the the US.
C&C was never an American firm, they were always Canadian until they were sold to American interests. Even during their short lived attempt to set up some manufacturing in the States, they remained a Canadian company.

As were Grampian, Bayfield, Hughes, Northstar, Chaser, Martin, Cooper, Markos, Philbrooks, Reliance, Gozzard, Waterline, etc. etc. etc.

All Canadian, not American.

Also, we are able to recognize the different countries in Europe - that Swans come from Finland, Beneteaus from France, Bavarias from Germany etc.

They aren't all simply "European" boats to us.

It's not too tough.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-18-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

It is only logical that Canada has a great sailing history. We have more than half the coastline in the world. The US is way down the list with less than 10% of Canada's coastline. As a matter of fact countries thought to be quite small geographically, like Norway and Japan have more coastline than the US, which is in 8th place.
Old 04-18-2014
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

slap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
It is only logical that Canada has a great sailing history. We have more than half the coastline in the world. The US is way down the list with less than 10% of Canada's coastline. As a matter of fact countries thought to be quite small geographically, like Norway and Japan have more coastline than the US, which is in 8th place.
This depends on which reference you use. If you use the World Resources Institute values, Canada has the most coastline, with the US at number 2, with about half of Canada's coastline. Much of Canada's coast is open only for a short time each year (like the Northwest Passage), while a substantial part of the US coast is open year around (west coast, gulf coast, Florida east coast, etc).

I assume you got your numbers from the The World Factbook. Note that the wikipedia page on coastline length states that for the The World Factbook, "Note that the scales at which The World Factbook figures were measured are not stated, nor is it known whether the figures are all reported using the same scale, thus the figures are not necessarily comparable across different countries."

Old 04-18-2014

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Actually the British Columbia coastline, from the US border to the Alaskan border, is 25,725 kilometers (15,985 miles) - more than the entire US coastline. It includes 40,000 islands of varying sizes, Vancouver Island and Haida Gwai being the largest. Some of the best cruising in the world.
Old 04-18-2014
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

slap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Actually the British Columbia coastline, from the US border to the Alaskan border, is 25,725 kilometers (15,985 miles) - more than the entire US coastline. It includes 40,000 islands of varying sizes, Vancouver Island and Haida Gwai being the largest. Some of the best cruising in the world.
According to the World Resources Institute, Canada has 265,523 km of coastline, and the US has 133,312 km.

From another source, the Chesapeake bay has 18,804 km of coastline.

Last edited by slap; 04-18-2014 at 03:48 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.