Interesting Sailboats - Page 662 - SailNet Community
 1269Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #6611 of 6763 Old 04-19-2014
grumpy old man

Re: Interesting Sailboats

I'm not fighting. I'm having fun.

Please visit my blog. It's fun to read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6612 of 6763 Old 04-19-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I like Classic American styled boats. That's my style. I am not Euro in any way. Never will be and happy for that. I leave designing those boats for the people who enjoy that style.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Also, we are able to recognize the different countries in Europe - that Swans come from Finland, Beneteaus from France, Bavarias from Germany etc.

They aren't all simply "European" boats to us.

It's not too tough.
Are you sure? To some European boats are all the same: Euro style!

post #6613 of 6763 Old 04-19-2014

Paulo I think Bobs critique of 3 boats in this months Sailing sums it up. You have the Eagle 54. A " spirit of tradition" boat. Designed in holland( Europe ). A C&C Reline 41 designed in (Ireland ) made inR.I.. And a Hanse 445 designed and built in Europe . Country of origin has little to do with design program or style.
Of more interest is continuing divergence among ocean boats ( CE1). One group going with tried and true evolutionary design elements ( Morris, HR,Passport,Outbound etc.). Other going with low freeboard and dagger boards, or lifting/ chanting keels, or center boards. Some incorporate ultra high aspect bulbed fins. Agree those designs are primarily coming out of Europe but again one offs from Maine and R. I . also include those elements.
Think the boats rather than the countries are more important in this little blue pea in the void.
SloopJonB likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #6614 of 6763 Old 04-19-2014

Paulo even in the mega yachts you see this. Perini Navi evolutionary. New England Boat works pushing the envelope.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #6615 of 6763 Old 04-19-2014
grumpy old man

Paulo:
From what I can see only you have a problem with this. Why don't you give it a rest.

Besides I thought you left. "I'm going. I'm really going. This time for sure I'm outa here. No, I won't back. I'm really leaving this time. I'm gone."

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 04-19-2014 at 08:41 AM.
post #6616 of 6763 Old 04-19-2014
Abysmally Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Well there are definitely fewer pointed shoe boxes with IKEA interiors but there is still interesting stuff going on.

Paulo has his blog if you miss them.
Yes, there a definitely fewer pointed shoe boxes, in fact there is fewer of everything.

As for Paolo's blog, I liked to have the pointed shoe boxes right here in a forum that I frequent.

Since you do not seem to appreciate said shoe boxes, may I pose the question why the feck you came to this thread in the first place?

Boats are like life, variety is good.

Why only listen to the same three country songs all the time?
Why only eat the same three meat and potato dishes all the time? Toss in some Asian food every now to spice things up a wee bit.
Why only drink Napa Cabs when there are so many good wines from Italy and France (and Portugal)?

This thread used to provide a variety of interesting boats, including some classic American designs.

Well, it does no more.

Happy now?
post #6617 of 6763 Old 04-19-2014
grumpy old man

"Why only listen to the same three country songs all the time?
Why only eat the same three meat and potato dishes all the time? Toss in some Asian food every now to spice things up a wee bit.
Why only drink Napa Cabs when there are so many good wines from Italy and France (and Portugal)?"

Who exactly are you talking to?
Sounds like ignorant stereotyping to me.
You do not know what I listen to, Last Night Mendelssohn's Scottish Symphony.
You do not know what I eat, BBQ'ed chicken and asparagus last night. My Mandarin is pretty good and I assure you that I know all the best Chinese restaurants in the area where I often order off menu dishes, in Mandarin. No sweet and sour pork for me.
You don't know the wines I drink, Washington State Merlot last night. I had a glass of Smith Woodhouse 2003 vintage port after dinner. I've had better vintage ports but his one was fine.

I have pushed for diversity here all along. I'm not going to repeat myself. I like boats, all kinds of boats and I'd like to see all types represented here.

"Happy now?" (give it a rest)

Well, yes I am and I think I'll go fishing.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 04-19-2014 at 10:06 AM.
post #6618 of 6763 Old 04-19-2014
Abysmally Stupid

Bob,

My post was not directed towards you. In fact it was not directed towards anyone in particular. Just trying to say that variety/diversity is a good thang.

You are right, I do not know what you are listening to, but from reading some of your posts I take it that you are a avid listener to classic music and opera , like to cook and enjoy wine.

Guess what, so do I.

Mozart, cosi fan tutti playing right now, roasted a whole duck last night with dried michigan cherry and lingonberry sauce. 2004 Rioja (WS 94) . Excellent except the whole house smells like duck ;-)

Am I ignorant, maybe. It's all relative.

Edit: the post was probably a directed at SloopyJon's comment re IKEA shoe boxes. A bit.

Last edited by jorgenl; 04-19-2014 at 12:15 PM.
post #6619 of 6763 Old 04-19-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Think the boats rather than the countries are more important ....
Yes, I completely agree. Makes no sense to talk about an Euro style when some of these boats are designed by the best American Na cabinets and Architects. Contemporary Naval Architecture is what they are, the cutting edge in what regards performance/interior space, being them designed in Europe or in America, including South America.

We can also talk about classic boats that are designed taking design semiologic elements from the pasts and among those there are ones that are just outdated in his approach towards sail performance and could really have been designed in the past and those that use that semiologic vocabulary with contemporary cutting edge naval architecture to give to those boats a contemporary character and sail performance.

It's easy to see where what Bob calls "American boats" stand on this panorama.

post #6620 of 6763 Old 04-19-2014 Thread Starter
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey 26 View Post
Well not sure what to think about all of this. Hate North America as much as some like.
Despite that they can't find popular blogs about anything somewhere else, and guess they are back here.
I guess you have it all wrong. I like America, I like Canada, I like this forum and this thread that I begin.

I like sailboats I love the work of some great American firms and Architects, I don't like particularly "old shoes" neither outdated sailboats, specially when they are designed now.

I hate when someone wants to identify American Naval architecture with his own designs that he calls "American sailboats" specially when I consider his designs outdated. It seems an insult to those that are truly making great American Naval Architecture and I meant for example Bruce Farr and Reichel & Pugh, that design only what he call incomprehensibly "Euro style boats".

Is this hating America? And I use hate as an expression. Not really hate, just a profound dislike.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.