Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1239Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011

bb74 is on a distinguished road
That Azuree sure is ugly....

On a more serious note, some downsides for me... I don't like the idea of having a mainsheet traveler in the middle of the cockpit like they have. Add the two wheels and the chartplotter set-up and you have a crowded cockpit. Likewise, the foresail tracks are weird, having 2 tracks on each side for a genoa and smaller foresail, just adds complexity and indicated to me they weren't in synch on sailplan and rigging which is a red flag. I don't like the sprit going into the hull, just creates a weak spot and possible leak. No (or hidden) anchor locker so a big hassle dropping the hook every time. >2M plus draw is a downer for me to get into the nice spots in the Med in high season.

I'm sure it's a nice boat, but aside from some wood veneer that gives no additional stowage, I don't see the upside argument. You can get another 180L of water on a 10.50 for a moderate fee. Engine performance is a ratio of displacement to torque so 80 litres of diesel is more than enough for extended cruising when a boat moves very well at under 10 kts of wind.

The RM 10.50/1060 is a better compromise than this one in my opinion. Otherwise, go bigger with an Opium 39 and swing keel.

As for the "old" Pogo 40 and the "new" S2, completely different boat and performance. I don't doubt the upwind performance and comfort of a X or Salonas, First or J would be like or better and if you are in sailing grounds where this is a major factor, you would need to take that into consideration. To each his own and as long as you have the €/$/Ł, you can get whatever you want these days.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
the ports in the hull are also a huge potential problem. Any reason they had to double up on the potential leaks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-17-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
That Azuree sure is ugly....

On a more serious note, some downsides for me... I don't like the idea of having a mainsheet traveler in the middle of the cockpit like they have. Add the two wheels and the chartplotter set-up and you have a crowded cockpit. Likewise, the foresail tracks are weird, having 2 tracks on each side for a genoa and smaller foresail, just adds complexity and indicated to me they weren't in synch on sailplan and rigging which is a red flag. I don't like the sprit going into the hull, just creates a weak spot and possible leak. No (or hidden) anchor locker so a big hassle dropping the hook every time. >2M plus draw is a downer for me to get into the nice spots in the Med in high season.

I'm sure it's a nice boat, but aside from some wood veneer that gives no additional stowage, I don't see the upside argument. You can get another 180L of water on a 10.50 for a moderate fee. Engine performance is a ratio of displacement to torque so 80 litres of diesel is more than enough for extended cruising when a boat moves very well at under 10 kts of wind.

The RM 10.50/1060 is a better compromise than this one in my opinion. Otherwise, go bigger with an Opium 39 and swing keel.

As for the "old" Pogo 40 and the "new" S2, completely different boat and performance. I don't doubt the upwind performance and comfort of a X or Salonas, First or J would be like or better and if you are in sailing grounds where this is a major factor, you would need to take that into consideration. To each his own and as long as you have the €/$/Ł, you can get whatever you want these days.
I agree with almost everything. But on what regards the traveler in the middle of the cockpit and the anchor locker I think you better look again. The traveler is in between the two wheels, and they have an anchor locker with a windlass and the double bowsprit has an anchor roller between sprits.

Take a look at the comments on the photo:

But I definitively agree with you that the boat is ugly, for this type of boat .

When I saw the first photos and boat tests I thought to myself : What a waste of a good idea!! The boat offer an interesting compromise, a good price.... why the hell they have to make it ugly?

Yes I think that the Opium 39 is a better compromise, but it is also slightly more expensive than the basic version. Anyway I think the Opium 39 is not available anymore because Wauquiez doesn't exist anymore.

I hope that the new Elan 40 (that would have some similarities with this boat) will be a better and more beautiful boat. That one is a boat that I wait with great expectation.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 02-17-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
the ports in the hull are also a huge potential problem. Any reason they had to double up on the potential leaks?
No idea, just for (bad) aesthetics.

About the leaks they call them inserts now (hull ports). I think it has to do with the technique to make them, and that technique warranties them no leaks (in theory if they are well made).

But I agree, with so many holes on that hull and cabin there is always the risk of something not done properly.

Regards

Paulo
Old 02-17-2011

Loft 40

Another of those cruisers that pick the class 40 hull is the Loft 40 and this one is for me a lot more interesting than the Azuree. Daring and very innovating. Not a boat for everybody, but to a happy couple that likes to receive friends.

The aim of this boat is not maximum performance, but just having a fast cruiser boat that maximizes space concept, in the interior and on the outside. It is called loft because he uses space as continuum. The maneuverer space of the boat is all on the back. There is a covered space that interconnects with the interior, more precisely with the galley and a cabin that opens to the saloon.

This is a two person boat. A boat that can host a party or receive a considerable number of guests. It is a fun boat that with 6.5T and 90m2 of sail and a gennaker with 80m2 should be a pleasant and fast boat to sail. A boat to enjoy life.

Comments please!

LoftBoats

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Interesting, indeed....

Too austere and 'white' and non-nautical below for me personally, but I suppose you'd get used to that. As you say, a two person boat but a party boat at the same time.

The ubiquitous chines, twin wheels and twin rudders...assuming a T bulb keel?

Is that an under-deck fine tune on the mainsheet (no traveller?)

I actually 'get' the 'super dodger' arrangement and can see that thats a pretty nice feature in certain climates - we saw an Apogee 50 in Seattle that had a hard dodger and a seating/wetgear area outside the companionway but under the hardtop... made sense.

Must the the lenses, but in the sailing shots she looks much bigger than 40 feet.

I'd certainly hide the hull ports in a full length bold stripe....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-17-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
No handholds in that beastie...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
No handholds in that beastie...
Yes, they didn't look nice probably. This is a full custom boat, probably the owner thinks that way. I think a central one in the ceiling would take care of the problem.
Old 02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Interesting, indeed....

The ubiquitous chines, twin wheels and twin rudders...assuming a T bulb keel?

Is that an under-deck fine tune on the mainsheet (no traveller?)

Yes, a fast hull with a reasonable draft:

DORVAL Architecture Navale

No I don't think it is a fine tune. Just stylish light and clean But you can have one on that place if you want, I am sure.

Old 02-17-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
That Azure looks like something from the early 90's, ala a Bene First from that time period.

I like the Loft a bit better. As far as the main traveler goes, "IT BELONGS IN THE COCKPIT!!!!!!" so one can get to it from the helm etc.

Marty