Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1241Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
tjmac/todd,

Are you looking at getting rid of "about time"? An SF3200 would keep you in the same brand of boats..............

Marty
Old 03-03-2011

TJMAC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
tjmac/todd,

Are you looking at getting rid of "about time"? An SF3200 would keep you in the same brand of boats..............

Marty
Marty, I'm not clear as to what you mean?
Paulo & bb74- amazing! Thank you!I will have to send you the address of the dealer I buy from so that you may collect your commission! What you wrote made perfect sense. Faster, more storage space, less expensive and I'm assuming slightly more "seaworthy" due to the extra size and displacement. I am having a little difficulty find specifics on the "old generation" of A40's. I have seen plenty for sale, but hard to find reviews and prints. I am writing from the US and have always planned on making my purchase in Europe, so would I be exempt from VAT? Any recommendations as to the best place to test sail an older A40(along with a few newer models such as the Elan 350, etc just to feel the difference)?
Quote:
You should think about seasons and weather / temps you want to be sailing, moored, anchored or docked at. This will have a bearing on the creature comforts and interiors you should be looking for.

2nd, I'd suggest thinking about where you want to cruise - little if any tide swing in the Med, different elsewhere. Do you need a boat that can beach or are you fine anchoring a half mile off the beach ;-).

3rd, how many days / weeks you plan on going without topping off at the docks?

4th, how may people will join you and what time of comforts are they looking for? It's one thing to be a single bohemian... another to expect all guests to do likewise if you want to see them more than once.

5th, why 3 years? That's a very, VERY long time on a boat for about 99.999% of the world population. If it is 3 years non-stop, day in and day out, I'd suggest going with a "comfortable pair of shoes" as opposed to those pocket rockets. A nice compromise is the RM 1050 as has been seen previously on this thread. Other cruisers will give more comfort for the day to day that is more than a "nice to have" after a few months non-stop.
1. I would hope to stay in warmer climates and follow the routes and weather timetables outlined in Jimmy Cornell's books. 2. I'm planning on situations such as this- Have a friend meet me in an Italian port, cruise for a week or so, drop him or her off then sail solo to say, St. Tropez, meet another friend and repeat the process.When the winds are right, sail from the Med across to Fla for the winter to see family and hopefully explore the Caribbean. Your point about not expecting the same utilitarian outlook from others is a great one I had not really considered. Why three years? It was a number that I felt would allow me to see as much of the world as possible before I embarked on the next phase of my life and start another business venture. Everything is fluid, nothing set in stone. Having flexibility is very much the whole point of what I am planning and working for. If I grow weary of the plan, cash out early. If I am having a blast, feel more and more confident in my seamanship and meet a 23 year old French model that wants to join me, I can extend my plans. Find the best yacht for my needs, tie up all loose ends, make a few smart(and safe) investments and earn passive income for awhile before I need to make a permanent decision as to what's next. "You can't change your plans unless you have one"- Gladwell
Thank you!
Best Regards,
Todd
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
tjmac,

You are not who I thought you are.......ie a Todd I know with a CB version of a Jeanneau Arcadia in the cheasapeak area, named "About Time" or are you?

marty
Old 03-04-2011

Quote:
tjmac,

You are not who I thought you are.......ie a Todd I know with a CB version of a Jeanneau Arcadia in the cheasapeak area, named "About Time" or are you?
Sorry, not me.
Really liking the A40, seems like a great fit. My only concerns are-1. there are a lot for sale. Can be an indicator of some fault or defect. 2. Huge price discrepancies between boats of similar years and equipment? A certain broker has ten A40's for sale made between 2004-2006 with a low of $90,000 to a high of $176,000. That's a pretty large curve. Nearly any other yacht of the same category are within a 10-15% spread.
Best Regards,
Todd
Old 03-04-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMAC View Post
Really liking the A40, seems like a great fit. My only concerns are-1. there are a lot for sale. Can be an indicator of some fault or defect. 2. Huge price discrepancies between boats of similar years and equipment? A certain broker has ten A40's for sale made between 2004-2006 with a low of $90,000 to a high of $176,000. That's a pretty large curve. Nearly any other yacht of the same category are within a 10-15% spread.
Best Regards,
Todd
I have already told you why. The ones that are asking a big price are asking a normal price taking into account the age of the boat and the price they have paid. The ones that are asking low prices are following the market rules: No much demand on that boat and lots of them for selling.

Most of the boats were bought for racing at top level and the boat is not competitive anymore regarding the new A40rc and other fast boats.

The new A40rc is really a top performer an Archambault costumers are normally top sailors:

San Francisco Sailmakers - - UK-Halsey Lofts Worldwide

The boat has not a great Galley (its divided in two different zones) with the settee in between and the interior is functional but not very nice. Not a favorite boat for most cruisers and as I have said the boat was sold in large numbers and the offer is much bigger than the demand.

I don't know of any other reason.

You forget about this one, that is the one with more equipment and also one of the least expensive (72000€):

Andrés Durán, Brokerage & Yachtservice

This guy is a dealer specialized in buying boats to the banks, from people that stop paying their leasing.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 03-04-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-04-2011

Thank you Paulo. From what I understand the new A40rc is only about .5 knots faster than the first generation A40's along with a different layout. Insane that for such a marginal difference a 5 year old A40 is almost obsolete! As far as the broker's link you posted, I most certainly didn't forget. A situation of buying an item that I want far below it's true value is the only way I shop or do business. Thanks!

Last edited by TJMAC; 03-04-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-04-2011

Walkabout

Hey Guys,

For the ones that want a boat that has a class 40 as a model, but is really adapted to long distance cruising, have a look at the Walkabout 43. The boat is beautiful, looks expensive and custom, but that is not the case, I mean expensive, for what they offer.

The story of the boat begins like this:

"After 4 years of circum-navigation of the globe we started searching for the ideal boat that would fit those characteristics result not only from our experience, but also from tips and considerations of those who sailed along. Not finding any suitable boats on the market we asked David Reard, a french naval architect, to design it. For the realization then, convinced of the validity of the project, we established a boatyard where has been carried out all stages of construction. The Walkabout 43 N ° 1 was launched in late July 2010"

The numerous requests for information and advice about sailing the high seas and the desire to allow others people to live the wonderful experiences of around the world cruising, have pushed Lorenzo Leonello and Annalisa De Cesare to found a boatyard for the construction of sailboats suited to sailing the high seas.

A challenging goal, which has found support in the technical skills of French designer David Reard. Born from the pencil (or rather from CAD) by David Reard, Walkabout 43, is robust and secure, she is a boat capable of ensuring tranquility during the more difficult navigation.

Sandwich construction with epoxy ensures both strength and light displacement. Light displacement and innovative water lines inspired by oceanic regatta boats give excellent performances with any condition of the sea and wind as those which reserve long oceans cruising. Think about do an ocean crossing in half the time!!

But speed doesn't mean only shorten distances but also increasing security. The great stability which give the shapes allows not only to increase the power but also to require less frequent changes of sails or reductions than the standard production boats. Stability combined with the simplicity of manoeuvres allow to sail the boat alone or in couple.

The large beam and the sleek design of the deckhouse stretched towards the bow offers the habitability of boats of larger sizes.

Spacious interiors designed for comfort and convenience of life on board. Great attention not just looking for the functionality, but also to the aesthetics of furniture that doesn't save precious woods. Porthole and hatches are chosen with security in mind in navigation and to life on board in the tropics where you need a good ventilation.

Pleasant life inside, but especially outside where a wide cockpit allows you to host a large crew and trasform into a terrace on the sea during stops in anchorage or marina for convivial moments with friends and relax in the Sun.

The technical solutions chosen for the systems and equipment are the best that the market can offer to withstand the intense use that a life aboard can reserve.

Well, I have to say that the boat really looks good and practical to me and I am sure it is a fast boat that can make extensive cruising a pleasure.

Walkabout Yachts

What do you say guys?

They are also proposing a full line of "Walkabouts":

The 37

The 40

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2011

myocean is on a distinguished road
This is astonishing!
Looks really like quite interesting bluewater boats! And they are indeed very light.
I wonder if they are really fast in real life. Which speed can be expected? As discussed before the payload could be the cruicial point. However, even if not really fast, you would still have a nicely optimized design for a circumnavigation! May be better than an RM.
And, of course, I like the two tillers which leave more living space when mooring.
Ulf
Old 03-05-2011

Walkabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post
This is astonishing!
Looks really like quite interesting bluewater boats! And they are indeed very light.
I wonder if they are really fast in real life. Which speed can be expected? As discussed before the payload could be the cruicial point. However, even if not really fast, you would still have a nicely optimized design for a circumnavigation! May be better than an RM.
And, of course, I like the two tillers which leave more living space when mooring.
Ulf
Hi Ulf,

No, this boat is much faster than the RM 1350.

This boat weights with its Max load less than the RM empty. This is more like a Pogo designed to circumnavigate.

Take a look at this numbers:

Lenght Overall
13.68 m
Hull Lenght
12,99 m
Lenght at Waterline 12.70 m
Maximum Beam 4,50 m
Draught 2,15 m
Keel weight 3200kg
Light Displacement 7200 kg
Maximum Displacement 9500kg
Maximum load 2300 kg

The most amazing number for me is the Ballast/weight ratio. Truly outstanding and a very good indicator of the boat seaworthiness.

The Max load is in concordance about what I have been saying about the Pogo 12.50 (that is really a 40ft boat). The max load of this boat (all things included, people, tankage, equipments and provisions) is 2300kg.

If we take into consideration the weight of both boats (5.5T and 7.2T) and make a proportion for an equivalent MAX load, the one of Pogo 12.50 would be of 1757 Kg. If we take the weight from tankage ( +-500kg) and the weight for 4 crew and equipment (720kg) the remaining load capacity for spars, tools and provisions would be only 355kg. The same remaining weight on the Walkabout (considering the same tankage) would be of 898kg, that is a more reasonable load for a circumnavigation, or for cruising in far away places.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-05-2011

myocean is on a distinguished road
Hi Paulo!
Still I would be sceptical about the numbers. From the catamaran world I have learned that especially some small (new) builders tend to present displacement numbers which are far too optimistic (so too low).
I like to have the true measured weight of such a ship...
And: Who says that the specified payload still guarantees higher speen by planing?

Ulf