Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Soto 40 movie

New post about a Sexy boat. Not the kind you would want to marry, I mean live with all the time, but certainly one you would love to have an occasional relation, I mean having fun with it, or racing .

That's an American boat and probably one of the best, if not the best American racing boat that has come out in some years. Everybody wants racing in one, in America, In Europe and in the Far east. The 40ft boat was elected for the 2011 Audi med cup and from 2012 to the Asia cup. It's the SOTO 40 designed by Soto Acebal, a bright Argentinian NA and made by Mboats:

Sailboats

MBOATS I High Quality Boats I Barcos y Veleros

The boat has a large transom but not a big beam (3.74m) weights 4.2T has a relatively small draft for a racing boat (2.6m) half of its weight is ballast and and it is not expensive. It is probably the best "bang for the buck" in 40fts racing boats.

News: Soto 40 joins for the 2011 Circuit

It is not a handicap boat. It's funny what they say about handicaps (I am happy to see that I am not the only one that find that handicap story an anachronism):

"Remember, the whole Soto 40 story started because of two men's loathing for rating rules and their desire to get back to basics in a seriously fast, simple and affordable yacht.

Upfront, we are proud that the design philosophy of the Soto 40 was to build a fast, simple, affordable yacht without ANY attention paid to handicaps.
'Handicap' by definition, means 'slow' when it comes to sailing. Designers who chase the IRC holy grail come up with all sorts of clever ways of maximizing a drop in rating whilst minimising the actual drop in speed. Sadly, it all means your yacht will go slower, one way or the other.

Everyday we are getting lots of enquiries about the Soto 40 OD and its potential in IRC, the rating rule 'de jour' currently in force in many parts of
the world. We all know that the rule is imperfect but, it seems, is the best we have until ORC International (ORCi) gets traction, becomes cheaper
and more user-friendly.

But we totally recognise that you will want to get the most out of your investment and this could include fleet racing with IRC-handicapped yachts.

So, if we must play IRC for the moment, how is a Soto 40 One Design going to perform in your current IRC fleet?

Only one Soto 40 has been measured for IRC - Drumbeat. Despite the two trial certificates done in the last year being a lower number, 'Drumbeat'
ended up with a shocker number... 1.26. It indicates two things. 1) The Soto 40 is recognised in the rule as a very fast yacht and 2) the Soto 40
is not your typical IRC yacht and was never going to have a low number. But look at the published VPPs of other 40 footers (Farr 40, Archambault
40 RC, Beneteau First 40, J122) and you will see that the speed differences agree with the higher rating. The maths doesn't lie and the fact is that,
on paper, the Soto 40 One Design should perform well in an IRC fleet on its day. In a passage race situation the Soto 40 would likely be getting
podium positions."

WORLD CLASS RACING - IRC and ORCi

http://www.longitudeyachts.com/attac...ochure_web.pdf

Yes I know, this boat is not the kind of racer that is suited to sail for a weekend with the family. this is really a racing boat: It has a head and a small galley just for offshore racing but its standing height is only 1.5m.

But just look at these videos, that's a fantastic boat :

YouTube - S40 (Soto 40) One Design

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
paulo,

Looks like a fun boat, not one my wife would like tho! A melges 32 might have a bit more potential than the soto to get the wife interested! Not that either the M32 or the Soto are cruisers for the rank and file folks....

Marty
Old 03-14-2011

XC 38 boat of the year - boat test

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
paulo,

Looks like a fun boat, not one my wife would like tho! A melges 32 might have a bit more potential than the soto to get the wife interested! Not that either the M32 or the Soto are cruisers for the rank and file folks....

Marty
Well Marty, your wife will love this one. My wife loves it and I just didn't talk too much about it because I just tend to look to the other side regarding thinks I like but that I can't have, and that's the case with the Xc 38, the 2011 Quality European boat of the Year. I have said about it, six months ago:

" It is just the perfect bluewater boat for a solo sailor. It is not big but has the right size to be easily handled, it is not very fast, but it is fast enough and the interior is just perfect. Good taste, storage and very good quality all-around, that's the X-38Cr"

Well, it is not only great for a solo sailor, its also the perfect offshore long range cruiser for a couple with good taste and that lives aboard a lot. The boat is beautiful, with a very comfortable interior, seaworthy, relatively fast, small enough to be handled easily solo, low maintenance and high-quality everywhere.

Big enough to be safe and fast, small enough for low maintenance and marina low costs.

The boat was tested by YachtingMonthly one of my preferred boat magazines. They are quite demanding in what regards boats and they have a system to evaluate boats under different chapters: 10 different subjects with each scoring 0 to 10, to a total of 100 points. They have given to the boat 92 points, scoring at least 9 out of 10 in each subject with two 10 (Design/construction and maintenance). I don't remember of any boat scoring that high...never. Saying that they where impressed is an understatement .

You can read the full test here:

X-Yachts Corporate site

On the conclusion they say:

"She glided between zephyrs and with her pedigree she should comfortably plough through any weather at passage-pounding speed. Below, she’s secure, luxurious, exceptionally well built and the basic spec is comprehensive. She’s not cheap but you could sail a lifetime and never find quality to match."

The boat testers from all the boat magazines that have voted the X38 boat of the year said about it:

Xc38
.. It does everything - from using the space to the premium (the inside is capacious throughout), to build and finish quality, to sailing performance - exceptionally well. The 38 defines ‘luxury cruiser', in a very manageable size. The fact that X have now won this category prize twice for the same range speaks volumes…..

The boat to take you everywhere - and quick. The cockpit is designed for relaxed cruising. Very safe, with exceptionally well dimensioned winches, jammers and fittings. Helming is fine. …. Astonishingly roomy for a 38-footer, very bright and nicely done below. The yard is to be praised to only offer her in a two-cabin-layout as this makes ultimate sense if you also need storage for long cruises. Even though the lines are rather classy, the feel onboard is always privileged, not pretentious - nor old-fashioned. Price could be an issue, but in this class - not really.

It looks good, it feels great : you cannot be disappointed when sailing this Xc. But this doesn't come as a surprise. The best part of the boat is to be discovered under the deck. With only two cabins, the layout is great. Very classy but roomy altogether. A boat you would like to go cruising with and to show your friends.

There are four main-reasons for the success of the Xc-38: build quality, sailing performance, the feeling on the helm and the aft-cockpit-concept. …Xc 38 The perfect mixture
Xc 38 is the best Xc and a very happy design. Traditional, good lines via trunky coachroof, pleasing sheerline, classic stern, is in harmony with the deep powerful hull. In terms of looks, sailing, comfort and needs for cruising, Xc 38 scores top points. It might not be the cheapest boat of her kind, but neither the highest priced, thus giving buyers good value for the money.

In heavy winds Xc 38 proved her point, really good stability with 40 % ballast which help tracking. Bite upwind is firm and the boat kept going when the wind gusted to 30 knots, no broaching and great contact in the twin wheels. Tailor-made rudder and rig, well positioned mast and keel, exemplifies how well race experience can be married with relaxed cruising….

.. Xc 38 is fast an enjoyable, but also smart and comfortable to live on board. The accommodation will also work at sea. It's a sporty cruiser with a tall rig.

The «little sister» of the XC-45 shows the experience of the Danish yard. To reduce a good and winsome yacht into a smaller size often fails - Niels Jeppesen and his crew succeed. The XC-38 has everything to go around the world - but her sailing performance may tempt to take part in regattas. The biggest «wow-effect» is under deck: it seems quiet impossible to offer that much space on only 38 feet….

In my opinion the most seamless of the Xc series from X. Of course it sails well but never the less you are surprised that a quite heavy boat feels so light on the helm. It feels just right going upwind even in heavy breeze. Down below you are amazed that a 38 footer can be so roomy and also with a nice focus on the details that makes it all come together to a unique cruiser.

This boat did not only impress me, from the first time I have been inside one, not only the guys from YachtingWorld, but all the guys that have tested the boat. That's what I call an impressive boat

Take a look at the interior, a sweet and cozy one:

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileBank/SWF/xc38_.swf

Take a look how it sails:

XC 38: neuer Cruiser: Der goldene Schnitt aus Dänemark - YACHT-TV*|*YACHT.DE

X-Yachts Corporate site

Slide Show Xc 38 Photos

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Paulo,

Spouse does like the X-yachts, should have heard her purring on the one we have been on, and that was on older 119.....

She likes the look of the X-35 inside over the pics from the 35, 37. Not sure I have shown here pics of the 38........ yet.........

Then again, at the moment, above our price range.....but we can dream!

marty
Old 03-14-2011

Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 439

Above yours and above my budget also

Have you seen the first movie of the Jeanneau 439 sailing? It's from the boat test from the magazine "Yacht".

Sun Odyssey 439: Die große Schwester der Siegerin - YACHT-TV*|*YACHT.DE

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2011

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Paulo,
the Dehler 43 CWS has a 56 sqm main and 36 sqm jib as standard (also stipuletad in original brochure), and those sails are pretty triangular in shape, my boat still had the originals on when I bought it, and they did also not fill the mast and boom lenghts fully. I ordered a max roach main and a full cut jib in the sense of maximising the area, with standing battens in the leech of the jib. So sail area is pretty OK on the Dehler as it is now, and I also have no problems overtaking most boats I find, both up and down wind.

When I test sailed the RM 1200 I still had the Beneteau. I sailed the boat in Oslo, with the owner who is CEO (I think) for Den Norske Veritas. He is very experienced. We had appr 10-11 m/s on the nose and sailed with the staysail and one reef in the main, on pretty flat water. Still we had to be very alert with the main and dump it down the track very often to avoid to much broaching. Not really what I hoped for but expected due to the wide stern and singel rudder.

I like the RM boats very much and I visited La Rochelle in september for the RM1060, but if I would buy one it would definitively be in two rudder configuration.
Old 03-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post

When I test sailed the RM 1200 I still had the Beneteau. I sailed the boat in Oslo, with the owner who is CEO (I think) for Den Norske Veritas. He is very experienced. We had appr 10-11 m/s on the nose and sailed with the staysail and one reef in the main, on pretty flat water. Still we had to be very alert with the main and dump it down the track very often to avoid to much broaching. Not really what I hoped for but expected due to the wide stern and singel rudder.

I like the RM boats very much and I visited La Rochelle in september for the RM1060, but if I would buy one it would definitively be in two rudder configuration.
Yes, it makes sense. you were sailing the RM like a racer, not a cruiser not that I would not have done the same.

But the boat is not really designed for that and close on the wind is its weakest point of sail. Even so you were doing what: 7K ?

You are right about the two rudders. It will make a big difference at the stability downwind and on the limit, upwind.

About the RM 1060, if you are going to test sail the boat I would be very interested in hearing your opinion. It seems to me that the testers that have sailed the boat for the different boat magazines were not very enthusiastic about it. That seems odd, with that weight and sail area the boat should oversail an Elan 350, but I have not stayed with that impression.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 03-14-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2011

nemier is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hi Nemier,

I missed you, please post more

Regards

Paulo

Hi Paulo,
Unfortunately I've been working quite a bit lately.
2 kids in University
But right now, my wife and I made time for a trip to the Maldives.
As always I managed to find some sailing time.
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting Sailboats-img_0280-1-.jpg   Interesting Sailboats-img_0288.jpg  
Old 03-15-2011

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Hi Paulo,
I will keep you posted if I testsail the RM1060.

By the way, I was a little bit suprised about you saying you would prefer the Elan 380 over the 350. I like the interior of the 380 better than that of the 350 since I am only 171 cm long and in the 380 I can see out of the windows while standing, in the 350 (and the 410) they are too high up. And I also realise that the 380 might be quicker considering both up and down wind. But, even if I always sail upwind also, not motor, is it not for the joy of having a rush down wind we go sailing (not considering the G&T at anchor of course).

Regards,
Anders
Old 03-15-2011

Elan 350 versus Elan 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
Hi Paulo,
I will keep you posted if I testsail the RM1060.

By the way, I was a little bit suprised about you saying you would prefer the Elan 380 over the 350. I like the interior of the 380 better than that of the 350 since I am only 171 cm long and in the 380 I can see out of the windows while standing, in the 350 (and the 410) they are too high up. And I also realise that the 380 might be quicker considering both up and down wind. But, even if I always sail upwind also, not motor, is it not for the joy of having a rush down wind we go sailing (not considering the G&T at anchor of course).

Regards,
Anders
Anders,

Let me explain a bit better. I find the 350 a sweet boat and I would have preferred a 380 that looked like an over-sized 350, two rudders and all. But what you have are the boats like they are, including the price you can get them.

When I have said that I would prefer the 380 over the 350, price matters a lot. They are selling the 350 very well and they maintain the prices high and discounts low.

The price of the 350 is a bit misleading: the basic price is alright but then there is a large number of extras and the final price is a bit high (for a 35ft). They are not selling well the 380. Not that the boat is not good but the rating is worse than the one on the 350 (the 350 win on compensated time over the 380) and most of the guys that buy that kind of boat makes club races. I don't want to race, I want to cruise fast and they offer big discounts on the 380, carbon mast and all, making the difference in price to the 350 really small (both boats fully equipped).

I have tried the Elan 380 in Slovenia (its a sweet boat) and the owner of the boat I test sailed is a serious racer. He sails all the Slovenian championship (Slovenia is the homeland of Elan) and sails all the time against the 350 and we had a talk about it (he was not interested in selling his boat ):

He says that in real time the 380 is always faster, upwind and downwind and that in compensated time sometimes he wins, sometimes he loses but he admitted that he loses most of the time (the 380 is an incredible boat upwind and to plane downwind needs two more knots of wind, compared with the 350). His boat was a top spec boat, carbon mast and all, but he had mounted dracon sails for going cruising with the family.

I raised some doubts about the comparative performance of the two boats but he was so sure about it that he pointed to a 350 that was sailing on the other side of the bay (we were in Portoroz) with racing sails and all and said: Let's go catching them (cruising sails an all)

Unfortunately the wind died out and the other boat went to the marina so I could not have that verified personally but I have no reasons to think that he was not telling the truth.

So what I have are two boats (350 and 380) with not very different prices, one slower and with a smaller interior other faster and with a better interior. I choose the faster one with the better interior. It seems logical to me

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-23-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.