Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Now I can see that the boat you posted pictures for on this page is the Southerly. It was not named in the text and the pictures would not load.

Regards,
Anders
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2011

Sounds interesting. An Opium 39, RM 1060 or Elan 350 choise is getting closer quickly so looking forward to that, unless it is too big of course.

Contrary to all comments here about Pogo and interior problems for wifes, my wife found the Pogo 1050 interior as the "most interesting".

Regards,
Anders
Old 04-12-2011

Hi Paulo,
thank you for the info. I infact already have drawings and specs for the 1260 and it is definitively an improvment of the 1200. It is though on the bigger side of my size range (as is the new Elan 400) and at least the 1200 ended up more expensive than the Opium so I am still in favour fo the ones I mentioned earlier.

It is a pity that the Pogo factory seems to be on the small side...

I might take a trip to France next week to have alook at the RM and Opium.

Regards,
Anders
Old 04-12-2011

myocean is on a distinguished road
What about keel and rudder of the new RM?
I find the low draft of the bi-keel appealing but it seemed to reduce the performance of the 1200. At the same time it is obviously not combined with the double rudders which are probably quite important if the new model comes with a wider stern. So have they a new design for the 1260?
Ulf
Old 04-12-2011

The 1260 is also available with twin and single keels. Do not know about rudders but I would be surprised if it only had the single keel option.

The RM 1060 as well as the old 1200 can be ordered with twin rudders, which I also think is a must.

According to what I have read and felt when test sailing the RM1200 the double keel configuration seems to bring with it no or very few drawbacks, perhaps due to the assymetric set up and thin profiles and narrow base. But yes, double keels and double rudders, a lot of stuff below surface...

I will say hello to Jean Eudes from you, Paulo, thank you for the tip.

Regards,
Anders
Old 04-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I have big news for you and a lot on this thread that are waiting for a fast ocean going cruiser. Just wait Photobucket to finish with the maintenance work and if I find some spare time I bet you would like the next post
Hi Paulo!
I am curiously waiting when you will find the spare time to show us a bit more about the new RM :-) Photobucket is working again I think.
Thank you in advance!
Ulf
Old 04-14-2011

Ah, found it here...
Testvinner blir enda bedre : Båtliv
Old 04-14-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
So finally I am able to post photos

The RM 1260 looks really great. It will be faster than the actual model and will have two wheels or a tiller, an open transom or a closed one, as the client prefers.

The main changes compared to RM1200:

- More modern and more powerful hull.
- Elongated roof, mast on the roof, more balanced sail plan.
-Two steering wheel (option tiller).
- More volume in the saloon and improved height.
- Forward cabin enlarged, improved height, wider bed.
- Optimized brightness: lateral and frontal view, windscreen without interruption.
- Technical room enlarged, possibility of additional cabin.
- Modern design, sharp and very pure lines.
- Outside visibility, from the chart-table.

Surprise, they don't say nothing about twin rudders, but I bet it will be at least an option.

Two choice of keels, mono bulbed keel with 2.20m draft or twin keel with 1.85m.

First four boats will be ready before nest year Summer. Special price for the first boats : 191 827€.

It seems to me that the winch's position makes sense for a tiller, not for twin wheels.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-14-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-15-2011

On another thread Puddinlegs posted this about the Bieker 35ft:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
..about Vic-Maui ... first to finish was a 35' boat was first to finish in only 11 days ...

"Amazing performance, Scott, Susan, Alex and Skyler. ALL of the boas who have won line honors in the past with better times than Terremoto have been at least 65 feet long, compared to 35 feet for T-moto. Quite an accomplishment. "

More about the 35': ....

" His design brief was for a high performance racer/cruiser capable of blistering speed on the race course (Jonathan is an Olympic gold medalist in the FD class and a silver medalist in the 49er class)."

...The Bieker 35? They're cruising Alaska this summer. And yes, the boat was sailed back to Seattle after the race last year. I don't think they've made a calendar, but it really is an amazing piece of modern design.
That got my attention ...and guess what, there is a Bieker 35 MKII on the design board!!

The boat, like the MKI, is very light a boat with a big Ballast/Displacement ratio with a very deep bulb (2.63m) with a relatively narrow beam and a huge spinnaker pole.

Some posts back I have said that modern performance sailboat come in two main design trends, the ones that have origin on the Open solo classes and the ones that come from the more classical tradition, Mum, Farr, Archimbault and that's on that tradition that the Bieker is founded, but with the water ballast from the the solo boats.

That is not probably a very easy boat to sail and not properly a boat for solo sailing but with a short crew should be a blast and the race results show that. This new one is even faster. Take a look at the polar speeds:

The boat is very interesting but the design seems a bit old, I mean the aesthetics and the hull has only a chine, it seems that another could be used, at least if we consider that most of the better designers know what they are doing and probably two rudders would help to control the boat at high speeds downwind, with a short crew.

But surprise, the last drawings show that Bieker is bringing the design to that direction. The extra chine is not yet there, but the two rudders and an overall more modern design give a much more modern look to the boat. A beautiful one and very fast one for sure.

It is a pity that with 2.63m draft the cruising options are a bit limited, but with a swinging keel, Pogo's style, this one could not only be a great racing boat but also a great cruising boat, for the ones that like to travel light and have fun while sailing.

Last edited by PCP; 04-15-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2011

Guys, I have found out some nice movies about some of the boats posted on this thread. The movies, that have not yet been posted, are just small versions (teasers) of the big ones you can access in Voile and Voiliers if you have a subscription. All of these boats were test sailed by that French Magazine:

the Defline 43, a fast long range cruiser, going fast on a gale with 40K winds:

Voiles et Voiliers : Essais et comparatifs - Essai croisière Defline 43 : avis de tempête sur Argelès

The RM 1060, the boat that Anders is going to test sail soon (we are wainting your comments ):

Voiles et Voiliers : Essais et comparatifs - RM 1060 : la bande annonce de l'essai en vidéo

The Django 7.7'0, a boat that I like a lot, that has been making quite an impression among the French sailors but that deserved here a quite indifferent reception. This boat is a kind of a bigger Mini racer adapted to cruising. If I was younger and had little money, this would be one of the boats that I would dream to have :

Voiles et Voiliers : Essais et comparatifs - Vidéo voile - Django 770 : teaser de l'essai complet

This one dispenses comments, except maybe that in a normal year this boat would be boat of the year and was not only because it had has competition some other excellent boats (Elan 350, JPK 10.10):

Voiles et Voiliers : Essais et comparatifs - Video voile, first 30 Bénéteau*: bande annonce de l'essai complet

And finally, on the chapter of perfect cruisers for the average cruiser (I mean average in tastes, not in money ) the XC 42:

Voiles et Voiliers : Essais et comparatifs - XC 42, la croisière haut de gamme et rapide : extrait de l’essai vidéo

Enjoy!

Regards

Paulo