Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1239Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Cigale 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

Yes it is true, it is very influenced by the current crop of ocean racers, particularly, solo racers and it makes sense. This boat is designed to be solo sailed and has all the improvements that come for that kind of races, namely the broad stern to improve downwind stability: That permits you to leave it safely on autopilot, while surfing at two figure digits.

Regarding the interior, this boat as the same kind of set up of its predecessor, so I can tell you that it will be a very comfortable interior. It is no deck sallon, but it has a very big salon with view to the exterior (6 fixed portholes) two on each side and two on the back of the boat. It has also a dinghy "garage" and that is quite useful.
See what I mean, about the interior and hull design.

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2010

Cigale 14

The designer is Marc Lombard, the same designer of the Opium 39, from all the RM line, from the Jeanneau 39, 42, 36, 33 and 30 , the Figaro Benetau 2 and a lot of racing boats, from Open 60's to big racing cats.

Marc Lombard

The one I have being posting about is the new Cigale 16. The Original Cigale is a Finot design. This remake, that follow the same principles is from Lombard.

The boat is made by Alubat, that is also the shipyard that makes the OVNI. It is an aluminum boat, very light for its size and with water ballast.

Cigale 14 < Gamme Cigale < Les Gammes

this is an easy 9k boat. 10k of wind will be enough, and of course, with the trade winds it will be an easy two digits speed boat .

Have some pictures and a movie (from a Cigale 14): Clik on VIDEO

Seilsamvirket.net

And there is a thread on Sailnet about the Cigale 14:

Cigale 14 for circumnavigation

A member that has one had said about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedRob View Post
Cigale's are a Awesome boat. I have a Cigale 16 and love it.

The boat is easy to single hand or sail with short crew. My wife and I sail it by ourselves most of the time. The Aft solon is amazing, to sit at the table and be able to see out 270 degrees is such a joy. The boat handles better and easier than most fo the 40 foot boats that I have sailed. Nice light feel to the wheel in all conditions yet very responsive.

The designer Finot designed the 16 and then scaled the design for the 14. I have sailed both the 14 and the 16 for extended trips. The 16 has a mid travler vs the 14's aft travler. I find the Mid travler to be easier to handle than the 13 foot aft travler.

The boat sails very well to windward. On the way up to New England we beat for several days and found the boat to be extramly stable and tracked steady. We stowed the anchors and the dingy in the chain locker to add a little wieght to the bow. In 20 knots of wind and 35 degrees to the wind we were going along at 13 to 14 knots with out the ballast tanks full.

If you can get one of these you will not be disapointed.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-13-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-27-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Ha....there you go. I'd checked out Grand Soleil Marty and it didn't work if only cos they have an almost brand new 58'er I think it was.

I had a look at the North Sea Marine site last evening but only got as far as the Ovni and Alubat ranges..hadn't looked at Cigale. I'm afraid beer, food and wine got in the way of further investigation. Oh well there you go.

Have to say that the Cigale 14 looks the goods. Still a bit big at 48' but ticks an awful lot of boxes. That aft great cabin arrangement is fabulous and I love the look of her even if it is a 'strange looking thing'... It's quite difficult to choose. For me I adore the rugged good looks of the Bestevaer, the Luffe is just so pretty while the Cigale cutting edge and incredibly intelligent.

I do find the 'Chine Story' so very interesting. Boats like our VDS34 were of course built that way to cut down on costs and I doubt very much indeed that the chines would improve performance at all. Nonetheless I do like the look. This is a fav pic of mine, showing Leopard motoring up Sydney Harbour. She is canting her keel to induce heel so that she can fit under the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It was fun to watch.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 07-27-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-27-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Common as muck these things and cheap as chips.

Three of 'em for sale at the moment and I reckon I could pick one up for AUD$380.000.

2003 Alubat CIGALE 14 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -

2004 Alubat CIGALE 14 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -

2005 Alubat CIGALE 14 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-28-2010

On design - chines

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post

I do find the 'Chine Story' so very interesting. Boats like our VDS34 were of course built that way to cut down on costs and I doubt very much indeed that the chines would improve performance at all. Nonetheless I do like the look. This is a fav pic of mine, showing Leopard motoring up Sydney Harbour. She is canting her keel to induce heel so that she can fit under the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It was fun to watch.
I am quite sure you are wrong about chines not improving performance. Not that I techinaclly understand much of the matter, but the guys that understand are all using them to improve performance .

Even Leopard has a chine even if it is only one. I believe that the chine is used to create a groove for being easier the boat to sail on its optimal heeling angle. Less work for the wheelsman and better overall efficiency, because the boat is sailing more time on its optimum heeling position.

Take again a look at the new Groupama 70 ( the French boat for the next Volvo, a K design, absolutely cutting edge design) take a look at the big chine and now take a look at the small photo. See, the boat is all over the chine.

Take a look at this movie from the first test with that boat. You can see that the boat, even with very weak wind is sitting on the chine.

Voiles et Voiliers : Course régate - Video voile Première Manche prometteuse à bord de Groupama 70

Beautiful boat isn't it? My favorite for the next Volvo Race. That boat with Franck Cammas as skipper will be one of the favorites.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-28-2010

Santa Cruz 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRW View Post
Quite the wide range of boats being showcased here. I wonder if Paulo is trying to get a job as the EU's "Boating Ambassador" ...
I have nothing against American boats. I like boats and I don't care where they are made. The problem is that it is very difficult to find American production boats that are not mainstream ( that are made by small shipyards) and that are interesting. For interesting I mean a boat designed this century and modern. It can look classic but has to be modern in the hull shape and sailing performance. I can not find them, but you guys know probably better your production, so, just post about them. I will apreciate

I know at least one . It is coming soon at the market and it is a gorgeous boat. The only problem is the price , otherwise I would be glad to have one of those. I am talking about the new Santa Cruz 43. They say about their boat:

"Fast is fun!! And it’s the way the SC 43 uses that speed. Fast is stable-with more sail power transferred to accelerating forward instead of healing. Fast is more comfortable-helping the boat move through the water with a smoother motion. Fast is safer-getting back to the marina or into the anchorage more quickly if the weather turns. Fast is more distance in less time! Get to that favorite anchorage before the crowd. ..Fast is Fun again with the Santa Cruz 43."

Santa Cruz Yachts - Velocity Matters

Kernan Yacht Design - On The Boards

http://www.boatwizardwebsolutions.co...3-Brochure.pdf

Sail-World.com : Australians build American icon Santa Cruz Yachts

http://www.santacruzyachts.com/image...43Brochure.pdf

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-28-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I am quite sure you are wrong about chines not improving performance. Not that I techinaclly understand much of the matter, but the guys that understand are all using them to improve performance .Paulo

Paulo,
Small misunderstanding. I am only saying that the chines on my twenty year old steel Van de Stadt do not improve performance. No amount of chines will ever make my heavy old girl go fast. On the other hand, I have no doubt that boats like Leopard , the Open 40s and 60s, the Volvo 70s etc etc were designed with chines because of the performance benefit.
cheers
Andrew

Old 07-28-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Santa Cruz have done great things for years and years eh ? . The SC43 is a very pretty boat indeed. I notice the connection to Sydney Yachts another non Euro brand doing interesting things.

Yachts - Sydney Yachts

Its wonderful to have this thread that takes to the road less travelled. Sure, very few of us will ever have the chance to own one of these beautiful creations but its a good thing to discuss them and have a bit of a drool.

Hey, I don't even want to travel as fast as some of these things can go. Speed may be fun but its also stressful. Yes, I'd like a boat that can clock up 200-300 mile days in the right conditions but that will do me I think.

I'm sure Paulo posted something earlier about one of the Sydneys. Nice boats. This is the 43.

Last edited by tdw; 07-28-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2010

On design - Speed / JP54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Paulo,
Small misunderstanding. I am only saying that the chines on my twenty year old steel Van de Stadt do not improve performance. No amount of chines will ever make my heavy old girl go fast. On the other hand, I have no doubt that boats like Leopard , the Open 40s and 60s, the Volvo 70s etc etc were designed with chines because of the performance benefit.
cheers
Andrew
Sorry about that

Yes, Sydney are very good and very beautiful boats and I believe that they would sell a lot more if they were not so far away from Europe, where the main market is. Nice photos

And I don't agree when you say : "Speed may be fun but it's also stressful".

If you pick one of those boats and sail it at 100% of its capabilities, yes, it could be stressful, at least for a not very experienced sailor (like me ). But if you sail that boat at 75% of its capabilities, he just glides away happily, still leaving behind almost all the boats. No stress and with a comfortable motion.

Now, you have talked about "strange Thing" talking about the Cigale. I will show what I call a strange thing . Not the boat, that I find fantastic, but about the interior. I am talking aboat the JP 54, a New Zeeland boat (designed by a French NA). It was a Jean Pierre Dick idea:

"Winner of the Barcelona World Race and twice champion of the Transat Jacques Vabre, Jean-Pierre Dick has always enjoyed cruising with his family and friends. Disappointed by production yachts, he decided to design the ideal yacht. This is a 54 foot boat, combining the performance of modern racing yachts with the comfort of a real cruising yacht, all this enhanced by the highly original and functional interior design.

.... Jean-Pierre Dick, has imagined a top-of-the-range fast cruising yacht whose design is unique. Designed by Guillaume Verdier* and the interior designed by Stéphanie Marin, the first JP54 has just been launched in Auckland, New Zealand. Produced in a limited series by Absolute Dreamer, the JP54 takes its inspiration from the performances of racing boats to discover new horizons. The JP54 will be in France this summer.

Jean-Pierre Dick: "I imagined the cruising yacht of my dreams during my last two Vendée Globe races. I wanted to sail offshore and at the same time enjoy stopovers. I therefore conceived the JP54, a uniquely designed light and fast yacht, to retain the pleasure of surfing at 20 knots more comfortably than on my racing yacht. With the JP54, you can share the sensations and the pleasures of sailing with your family and friends."

The satellite, a revolution inside
In order to optimize the performance of the JP54 and to create a new indoor living space, the boat has a satellite; a rotating carousel. This innovative concept was developed on board Paprec-Virbac 2**. The satellite is a galley-chart table unit into which all the systems such as the batteries, hydraulics and storage are fitted. The loaded weight (600 kg) can be transferred windward in a few seconds just by pressing a button.

It is the first time that a similar concept has been put into use on a cruising yacht. The gain is important both in terms of performance and comfort on board. The sailors are always windward when at the chart table or cooking, while the guests enjoy a large space leeward.

Jean-Pierre Dick: "Through the experience of single-handed sailing, I have been able to design a boat that is really simple to use." The hydraulic winches remove the physical side to manoeuvring. In 10 minutes, all the sails are hoisted! The cockpit is uncluttered making movement easy on deck and allowing you to enjoy the sunbaths comfortably. The whole of the pit is brought back to starboard on an electric winch. There is no mainsheet rail. The JP54 can easily be manoeuvred double-handed in all circumstances."

Take a look at the movie to see the interior :

Movie : http://www.jp54.fr/gallery-video/page_k7.html

JP54, the fast cruising yacht - JPDICK yachts - JP54

Sail-World.com : A look aboard the new JP54: Above decks a one sided yacht!

Jean-Pierre Dick’s JP54 – Racing Applied to Cruising. | Yacht Sponsorship

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-29-2010

Sydney GTS 43

Hey, TDW where did you get those Sidney 43 photos? The one with teak is really incredibly beautiful.

I can only get some 3d models and the plans:

Photo Gallery: Sydney GTS43

They are doing a new boat, the 37. I is also a very nice one:
This one has some resemblance with the Elan 380.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:28 AM.