Not a Member? 

Like Tree1265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
Hi everybody,
I earlier asked for access to RM 1060-video withouthaving a subscrition. I think I found it at this link:
Voiles et Voiliers : Essais et comparatifs - RM 1060 : un baroudeur embourgeoisť
Hei! you have found the full test! Outstanding, that should be paid

Nice test. I share the opinion of the tester: very nice boat in what regards sailing but expensive for its size and with an interior functional but "rudimentary" in what regards warmness and looks.

Quote:
Paulo, you mentioned that the retailer in France has sold an Opium with some necessary improvments to the rig. What did you mean more specifically, I can not find that particular boat on the web anymore?
The boat was never been in the net and the needed improvements are not in the rig but in the running rigging. Sorry if I was not clear.

What I have said is that if you go the the La Rochelle dealer, he can show you on the La Rochelle port (Minimes) a Rm that has the running rig (and not the rig) modified by them at the demand of a client in the way I think it should be rigged, for working properly.

The standard boat is rigged with the German sheeting and that means that you have to use winches to move and regulate the mainsail (more friction). Boats that use that system, like the Salona 41 have normally two winches on each side of cockpit, one for the front sail, other for the mainsail, but the Opium only has one for each side and that means that you have to change the lines, blocking one, to use the only winch for the two tasks.

I would say that the boat was not thought by the designer to use German sheeting but to use a direct system, like the one you use on the RM 1060. That way you don't need winches for the main sail and can use the ones the boat has on the side exclusively for the front sail.

The boat that is on the Minimes (belonging to a client) has a system like that. It makes sense to me and I would fit it in the boat if I bought one.

Quote:
The Fox 10.20 looks interesting, and in addition to that they have an 11.60 on the web. Strange that no one else has a 11.50, everybody goes from 10.50 to 12.50. For me the 11.50, like the Opium, would be the perfect size.

The Opium 39 has 11.47m, the Elan 38 has 11.44m, the Comet 38 has 11.40m the Pacer 376 has 11.48 m. I don't think that the most popular size above 10.50 is 12.50, but 11.99, to escape to pay on European Marinas the extra charge for boats over 12.00m. You have plenty boats with that size including the RM 1200 and the Dufour 40e.

I agree with you, probably the best compromise for a solo sailor that wants to live aboard is about 11.50. Space enough for living comfortably but small enough to be easily maneuvered in the marina and also smaller sails to handle in a blow, not to mention smaller maintenance bills.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 04-25-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2011

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Hi Paulo,
I ment that it is very difficult to find a 11.50 of the kind of boats that RM, Opium and Pogo represents. For me 3,95*11,50-11,99 (lenght over all, not hull length since many marinas use LOA as stated by manufacturer) would be the optimum, as you also writes.

I have asked RM why they have such a big gap between 10.60 (smallish) and 1200/1260 (rather over above mentioned numbers) but got no reply so far.

Regards,
Anders
Old 04-25-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
A copy and paste from a link on the jeanneau owners forum with info on the new SO 379

Marty

Here is the first image of the SO379

Provisional specifications for the new Sun Odyssey 379 just obtained:

Length Overall 11.24 m 36' 10"
Hull Length 10.98 m 36' 0"
Waterline Length 10.35 m 33' 11"
Max Beam 3.76 m 12' 4"
Deep keel weight 1870 kg 4123 lbs
Deep draft 1.95 m 6' 4"
Shoal keel weight 2125 kg 4685 lbs
Shoal draft 1.50 m 4' 11"
Lifting keel weight 2112 kg 4656 lbs
Lifting keel draft 1.10 m / 2.25 m 3' 7" / 7' 4"
Displacement - deep draft 6280 kg 13845 lbs
Engine 29 Hp 21 Kw
Cabin 2/3
Fuel capacity 130 lt
Water capacity 206 lt (+ 130 lt option)
Fridge capacity 180 lt
Classic Rig dimensions
I - 14.22 m
J - 4.15 m
P - 13.60 m
E - 4.25 m
Mainsail 36.0 m≤ 387 sq ft
Solent self-tacking 24.0 m≤ 258 sq ft
Genoa 35.0 m≤ 377 sq ft
Spinnaker 90.0 m≤ 968 sq ft
CE category A - 8 pers
Design Architect Marc Lombard / Jeanneau Design

Note that there will be a lift keel as well as shallow and deep draft versions

Although a Marc Lombard design rather than the Philip Briand of her larger 409 and 439 siblings the design cues are very similar - note transom bustle as well as german main and self-tacker option etc

Larger image at:

Sun Odyssey 379

Attachment: Sun Odyssey 379 crop.jpg (60.0 KB)
Old 04-25-2011

Thanks Marty, you are the Man in what regards Jeanneau and this one looks really great:

We were talking about 38ft and here comes a new one!

Personnaly I like more the designs of Lombard than the ones from Philip Briand, and I am not talking about the looks but about the hull design. It seems to me that this boat has the beam brought further back than on the 409 giving it a more powerful hull. I like it more than the 409 and that is great because it is more easy to make a bigger boat look better

It does not seem to me that it will have twin rudders and that's a pity but with a ballast/displacement ratio of 30%, with a bulb at 1.95m and a powerful hull this boat seem to support more sail than the one that is announced and will have certainly a performance version. The weight seems alright to me, 6280kg is very good for a 38ft cruiser. A very nice boat.

Pity that there are not place, as on the 409, to an additional pair of winches.

I just hope the interior will match in quality the overall design

Regards

Paulo
Old 04-26-2011

Paulo,

Another fellow on the JO site, thoght set of winches could be put forward of the cockpit seat storage area's. If so, then one could have plenty of them. Remove the table to install a cockpit mounted main traveller, taller rig by a Meter, 2.1M keel(add some lead to the bottom instead of all steel - my thought) and you would have a pretty solid performing boat. He thinks this one could rival the 39iP, which is currently the most performance oriented of the current line. The lombard design seems to have a few more positive comments over the 409/439 lines. I personally am not seeing too much difference with the pics at hand.

Also this appears to be just shy of 37' long at 36'10" OA, deck at 36'. The claim is not to take over from the SO36, but sure looks like it!

Marty
Old 04-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Paulo,

Another fellow on the JO site, thoght set of winches could be put forward of the cockpit seat storage area's. ...

Marty
I see what you mean, but it is a pity, they will be too much forward to be easy handled by a solo sailor. Now, they could just make that opening of the seat storage space 20 or 25cm shorter, pull it all to the front and then you would have space for the two other winches in the right place

Regards

Paulo
Old 04-26-2011

Back on post 1040 I have posted about the Fox 10.20. Nice boat but no photos of the boat sailing. Here they are.

It looks nicer sailing

Old 04-26-2011

Another about the 379, if I am seeing the main sheet rigging correctly, looks to be a german system? is led back to a cockpit winch from the cabin top. That would be nice for a SH/DH sailing setup vs crew style. Not having used this system, not sure how it would be vs a traveler in the cockpit to a sheet at the back end of the boom.....

Marty
Old 04-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Another about the 379, if I am seeing the main sheet rigging correctly, looks to be a german system? is led back to a cockpit winch from the cabin top. That would be nice for a SH/DH sailing setup vs crew style. Not having used this system, not sure how it would be vs a traveler in the cockpit to a sheet at the back end of the boom.....

Marty
No, I don't think so. This is the same system that is on the 409. Is a German sheeting alright but the lines are brought back to the winch near the wheel. On that winch you control the front sail and the back sail. You have stoppers and have to change lines on the winch. It has the advantage of having all controls at hand, but not really the same thing as having two winches with the lines at hand even if not as expensive.

Regards

Paulo
Old 04-27-2011

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hei Anders, I cannot find that 11.60. Of what site are you talking about? it is not this one?

FoX Technology - Yacht Design and Engineering

Regards

Paulo
Here it is (and other interesting models)

Nos Modèles - RLM COMPOSITES

Regards,
Anders