Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011

yus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Yus, you can put a soft water tank anywhere but a hanging locker?

Keep us posted and if you can test sail also this one:

Photo boat ref. 20598

Probably they will take the price a bit down, if it is not sold first

Regards

Paulo
Hi Paulo,

my budget is limited up to 120.000 euros maximum. I don't think they will sell a RM 1050 for that price. At least I will propose my offer.
To be honest I like better the Azuree 33 than other boats at the moment.
Let's see what I will feel after the test.

Bye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
I like the Azuree 33 and I have no doubt that it would be more fun and faster, but for living aboard the RM seems better to me and I am sure that after the Baba you will find it a very fast boat .

They are very hard to get on second hand. They have made more than a hundred boats and all you can find is one boat on the used market and at a high price.

I have found this one but only in one add. I don't know if it is already sold. It seems to be at a good price and probably you can get always some cut but it is on the Canary Islands. That should not be a problem and you would take the opportunity to know the place and Madeira on the way back .

RM 1050 - Voilier occasion - FORA MARINE

Consider also that if you buy a new boat you will lose in the first 2 years (on most boats) about 35% of the boat value while if you buy a good used boat the loss will be small. Meaning that if the Azuree 33 tuns not to be the boat you really want to live aboard, you will lose a lot of money when you sell it.

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-09-2011

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone,
I visited the Wauquiez factory today to have a look at the Opium 39 - a sexy boat...

They have two available, one with 29 hp engine and one with 40 hp (Yanmars). I know it has been said in tests that it is slow under engine, at the same time Yacht had it at 5,5 knots at 2300 rpm which to me, and also as the german dealer was told by flex-o-fold, indicates a too small propeller rather than to small engine.

Any other tests that you know of saying the same about speed under engine?

regards,
Anders
Old 05-09-2011

Hey Anders,

I think it has to do with the type of the hull. Those boats were not made to go with engine. I have tried the one with 40hp and I don't think it will go much faster with the bigger engine, except in bad weather. you can feel they drag a lot of water. Funny how it looks the opposite when you pull the sails up.

All the tests I saw also show a slow cruising speed under engine.

I have tried also the RM 1200, same kind of hull, same problem. Also slow under engine. My old Bavaria would out perform both by 1K while on engine. Now in what regards sailing, that's another story

I have said it already here, one of the disadvantages of these kind of boats is the speed under engine. If compared with a Salona 41, it will make a huge difference, about 2K on the cruising speed.

Tell me more. Do you have liked the interior? What about global quality? Do you had a look at the Opium 39 that I had pointed to you, the one with the modified running rigging?

Tell me more

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-10-2011

Hi Paulo,
Thank you for your input, kind of confirms my thoughts.

Basically I like the interior layout a lot, I am not so tall and in this boat I can see out thru the cabin top windows. Hull windows a nice feature but they could be bigger. What I do not like is the rather old looking use of teak for the interior, I like the RM look much more. But I can live with this also.

Otherwise a very good quality impression. I saw a boat in early stage of build too.

This boat ticks most of my boxes, especially beeing just the right size and with those test backing it up I am very temtped to sign a deal. It is though rather expensive compared with the benbavjeanneaus, as you already know, but not so compared to Najad, x-yacht etc. And standard equipment comprehensive and deck gear much bigger sizes and top end versions compared with the above mentioned cheaper alternatives. And basically there is not a single identical competitior on the market in this size.

Regards,
Anders
Old 05-10-2011

Paulo, regarding the rigging I will have the main sheet direct from the track so no winches for that, the main is not that big.

I have been discussing the genua winches and if they are to be moved back but if you anyway need tongo to autopilot to winch, as you usually have to I can as well go that extra distance forward.

Regars,
Anders
Old 05-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
Hi Paulo,
Thank you for your input, kind of confirms my thoughts.

Basically I like the interior layout a lot, I am not so tall and in this boat I can see out thru the cabin top windows. Hull windows a nice feature but they could be bigger. What I do not like is the rather old looking use of teak for the interior, I like the RM look much more. But I can live with this also.

Otherwise a very good quality impression. I saw a boat in early stage of build too.
Anders,

I was curious to hear your opinion to see if it matched mine. Yes, we see things through the same eyes: very simple, very well designed and with good quality all around (and I have been on a finished boat).

Quote:
This boat ticks most of my boxes, especially beeing just the right size and with those test backing it up I am very temtped to sign a deal. It is though rather expensive compared with the benbavjeanneaus, as you already know, but not so compared to Najad, x-yacht etc. And standard equipment comprehensive and deck gear much bigger sizes and top end versions compared with the above mentioned cheaper alternatives. And basically there is not a single identical competitior on the market in this size.
I don't find the boat expensive. The price is much less than x-yacht, Luffe, Arcona, Grand-Soleil, Comet or Finngulf and just a bit over Dufour 40e. If you have to compare it it would be with the RM 1200 that should cost slightly less but the hardware quality is miles away.

I think you can have on that boat at least a 10% discount, probably a bit more.

Quote:

Paulo, regarding the rigging I will have the main sheet direct from the track so no winches for that, the main is not that big.
That was what I was talking about and the boat I have mentioned is rigged that way. The standard Opium 39 rigging comes with German sheeting and that does not make sense with only a winch on the side.

I believe you really should test sail the boat. I believe that your doubts would be taken away. Even my wife got impressed with the boat speed and normally she don't care or look at that.

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-10-2011

New Salona 41 boat test on the Spanish magazine Yate:

The test was made with 11/12K wind and the measured speeds were (without spinnaker or geenaker):

45ºTW - 8K -----90ºTW - 8.4------ 140ºTW - 6.5
Under engine: cruising speed 7.5K at 2500RPM

They have as title: POWERFUL AND WELL BALANCED

and as CONCLUSION:

"The Salona 41 inherits the hull and the pedigree from the 42 that has showed its qualities and potential in races through all Europe (IRC and ORC), particularly on the German championship, on the ORC World Championship and in the Med races, including the King's cup.

This dooes not mean that the Salona 41 is strictly a fast race boat designed only for racing, but a very fast cruiser with enough sailing potential to give satisfaction to the ones that like to go ahead of the pack and with enough comfort to pass not only week wends aboard but long holidays with family or friends.

Definitively a fast and agile boat that is not very demanding in what regards maneuvering with a running rigging studied to be easily operated by two or three sailors but, but also a boat that can deliver if the the skipper wants to exploit its full potential."

Last edited by PCP; 12-12-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2011

Aac is on a distinguished road
Havent seen B-yachts mentioned B-YACHTS its an interesting boat that I woud have if I were a billionaire

Interesting Sailboats-b0.jpg

The 42fter has a displacement of 5600Kg and like the Pogo it has non-overlapping sails and is very modern looking.

Unlike the Pogo however it has a large ballast 3000kg and a narrow beam of 3.1m. Cant find the Gz cuve but I bet its impressive.

The best part is the insides which is the ultimate in simplicity and style to boot.

Interesting Sailboats-b1.jpg

Last edited by Aac; 05-10-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-10-2011

Hello. welcome to the thread .

I was a bit surprised with B yachts....I didn't know of what you are talking about till I open the link. They used to be called Brenta yachts, not B yachts

Yes certainly they deserve to be on this thread. Probably I "forgot" because I am pissed by beautiful things that are way too expensive for me to have

They are designed by Luca Brenta and here on its Designer's page we can see some more:

______LBYD

The Brenta 42 has a very different program if compared with the Pogo 12.50. The B 42 is basically a luxury day sailor, a fast and enjoyable one but with a limited cruising capacity. It can have a family for a week-end but has not the potential for long cruises (I am not refering to the stability or seaworthiness but to the limited tankage, galley and storage space). The Pogo is just the opposite. Well, we can use it as a day sailor boat but he was not designed for that but for long range cruising.

I had already posted some photos of a similar boat, the Tofinou 12. I really don't know whom I like the most, but perhaps the Tofinou has that bit of classical style that make it even more beautiful to my eyes.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-10-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.