Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011

G1000 is on a distinguished road
Paulo, I guess you have missed Sly 42 (European Yacht of the Year 2008) Amazing boat with 111 sqm sail area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
Paulo, I guess you have missed Sly 42 (European Yacht of the Year 2008) Amazing boat with 111 sqm sail area.
Yes, it is an interesting boat and I know about it but I have been posting more about new boats even if I have posted about some older ones. Yes it is a very clean design even if the price makes it out of reach for most. I have to confess that I love the looks and the outside but I don't really like the inside. To aseptic and clean for me.

Thanks for posting.

Some movies:

http://www.sly-yachts.com/_vti_g2_vi...try_12_.sphtml

YouTube - Sly 42 - La Prova in Mare di SoloVela

YouTube - Sly 42 - Il video degli Interni di SoloVela

and several boat tests, one of them a good one in English (Yachtingworld)

http://www.sly-yachts.com/_vti_g2_pr...try_51_.sphtml

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-11-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 379 Sydney World Premiere.

A link to where the new SO379 will be shown, down under in TD land! Hopefully he will get to the sydney show and tell us ALL about the new Jeanneau 379!

Included in the article are some actual shots of the boat.

Marty
Old 05-11-2011

yus is on a distinguished road
Hello friends,
waiting for the test of the Azuree 33 I'm looking around for some good market proposal. I need a boat suitable for living aboard. I know the Azuree could seem not to be the right choice, but it is an other question. As I told you I have limited budget and I like very simple boat to be customized by myself. I have found the Varianta 44 which seems to be a very nice boat for my scope. I have read all the articles posted here (page n. 60). Do you have some more news or opinion to release today? Do you know how it is built the hull and the deck? I mean it is cored or solid?
Many thanks.
yus
Old 05-11-2011

Regarding the Salona 38 and has it will not be a completely new boat but a new interior and a modified transom but using the 37 hull, let me repost what I have said about the 37, pictures included:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
On post 399 I have said that I am waiting with great expectation the announcement of the new Salona 38 and that, if the boat is up to what I expect , it is possible that my search to the boat that fits me and my budget would come to an end .

The boat is coming to substitute the 37, that is already a very beautiful and fast boat. My respect for that boat and its performance was recently enhanced when I had a look at the results of the 2010 World ORCI Championship, that was raced in September.

The 37 that was racing there was not, contrary many other boats, a disguised racing boat posing as a cruiser racer. No, this one was a true cruiser racer that even had mounted a webasto heating system.

The boat finished overall in 3th place on its division, but not being a racer, what interested me was not the boat performance around the cans and in compensated time, but the boat performance on the offshore races and in real time (the championship was composed by 9 races, 7 inshore and two offshore).

On the shorter offshore race, raced with 30k winds, gusting 40, the Salona 37 finished first on real time with 5. 59.41 (2nd on compensated), beating a sharp and fast Dehler 39 (6.22.11) and a X 421 (6.16.15).

http://www.fsc.de/fileadmin/Regatta/...a_-_Race_3.pdf

On the longer offshore race, raced with “breezi offshore conditions”, the Salona 37 finished first in real time (again): with 8.26.25 and (again) second in compensated time. The third boat in real time was the Dehler 39 with 8.46.28 (3rd on compensated ) and the Dufour 40 special finished fourth in real time with 8.47.44 (5th on compensated time).

http://www.fsc.de/fileadmin/Regatta/...a_-_Race_4.pdf

I have told you before, the Salona 37 is a fast boat…and I hope, the new 38 would be a faster one.

I have only two images of the new boat and they are small:

The boat comes with a much more modern look, it has port hulls not only on the saloon but also on the cabins and it really is a shame that they have not used a new hull. They say and with a certain reason that the boat is a winner of many races and is still winning so they see no reason to modify it.

Well, it makes some sense but for most of the buyers the "look" is as important as efficiency and what looks sharp today are boats with the beam brought more aft. The advantage for racing with a crew may be inexistent but that type of hull takes nothing on the speed potential upwind (if the beam is the same) and adds an easier downwind ride and that is specially important for cruising when short crews or solo sailing are the rule.

Let's see that comparison between those two 38 footers, the Jeanneau and the Salona (metric system- m, kg, L, m2):

LOA: 11.24 - 11.50
LWL: 10.35 -10.15
Beam: 3.76 - 3.62
STD Draft: 1.95 - 2.00
STD Ballast: 1870 - 2270
Weight: 6280 - 6300
Ballast/Displ. : 30% - 36%
STD Sail Area : Genoa 35.0, Main 36.0 - Genoa 42.9 - Main 45.0
Tankage: Water 206+130 Fuel 130 - water 180+90 Fuel 100
Engine : 29hp - 29 hp
Fridge : 180 - 80+50

Main differences:

The Salona is a bit longer but has a smaller LWL. That revels the Jeanneau more recent hull.

The tankage, including fridge, showing always a small difference towards Jeanneau.

The Ballast, showing a considerable difference towards Salona. As the boats weight about the same that is also a considerable difference towards Salona in what regards Ballast/Displ. ratio (30% to 36%).

The Sail Area reveals a considerable difference towards Salona (+ 37%) and that is in consonance with the superior B/D ratio.

Finally, the Salona has a smaller beam and probably also finner entries.

All this will make the Jeanneau a boat with a slightly better cruising autonomy and the Salona a considerable stiffer, faster and more seaworthy boat.

The performance of both boats can be improved with performance packages, but while the one from Jeanneau points to a bigger sail area (and that will make the boat less stiffer) the one from Salona points to a lighter boat and that will provide a even more stiffer and powerfull boat.

They say that the deep draft Jeanneau keel has 2.00 and I don't know if they are going to have a performance keel with 2.15 or 2.20 but even those keels are on jeanneau steel keels. On the Salona their optional 2.28 bulbed keel is a lead one and that will make a big difference in the saved weight. Also the Salona has an option for a vacum infused epoxy resin for hull and deck and that will provide a much lighter and stronger hull.

Between the keel and the epoxy hull and deck the difference in weight between the two boats will be considerable, something between 400 and 800kg.

The Salona running rigging is of better quality and it comes standard with 6 winches (2 on each side two on the cabin top) and a German mainsheet system. The Jeanneau will also come with the German mainsheet system but only with 4 winches, one on each side and that is a lot less practical because you have to change lines all the time (same winch for mainsail and genoa).

The Salona has a traveler on the cockpit near the wheel and that has advantages in what regards sailing but disadvantages in what regards cockpit comfort (Size of Bimini and a more free cockpit). The Salona has also an option to have the traveler mounted on top of the cabin. The Jeanneau has the traveler on the top of the cabin and no option to mounting it near the wheel.

The Salona uses a stainless steel structure on the bottom of the boat (and that also increases stability) where the keel and the shrouds are connected. This permits to take the efforts from particular points of the hull and redistribute them for all the hull. The boat will be stronger this way.

Interior: I cannot comment on any of these boats, but assuming that previous characteristics are maintained both boats will look good (even if for that you have to pay more 4200€ for a teak interior on the Salona) and will have a good interior design . The one from Jeanneau will be more "glossy" but the one from the Salona will be of better quality. The Salona as also an interior in light material (8200€) for the ones that want to race the boat.

Prices:

The Jeanneau will be less expensive than the Salona but the difference will not be probably big in the Standard version.

I did not hear nothing about the Jeanneau price (Marty?) and the still not definitive Salona price will be 114 145.50€

An introductory sail away price including sails, Lazy bag and lazy jack electronic (with VHF, plotter and autopilot), water heater, coat barrier, anti-fouling, folding propeller and even mooring ropes, costs 129 500€. With more 8 708.80€ you will have a fast and very good and well equipped cruising boat with webasto heating system, teak on cockpit, Anchor, chain and windlass, Spraywood, cleats on the middle and last but not least, a top mast sliding system with "torlon" balls.

I would say that for the ones that really want to go fast, the performance package is well deserving the price: 20 233 €. This includes a deep lead keel (less weight) an epoxy vacuum infused hull and deck (less weight) a performance mast, performance deck hardware including a carbon spy pole and dyneema sheets everywhere.

This will make it a lot more expensive than the Standard Jeanneau but if you opt by a performance kit on the jeanneau, the jeanneau will also be a lot more expensive but not as effective in its mods: The Jeanneau will be increasing the size of its mast and the size of its sails without increasing the stability for carrying more sail. The salona will maintain its sail area and will increase its stability (less weight) becoming a more powerful and seaworthy boat. But make np mistake, I am not saying that the Jeanneau is a bad boat, quite the opposite, it seems to me that it has the potential to be a top contender in its category.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-11-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-11-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Paulo,

As of yet, very little info on the 379. The pics are probably hull 1 for all I know. No pricing as of yet. The reality is, even tho the rumour it is not, but this is probably a soon to be replace ment for the 36i but going back to a 37' boat. But as noted, this is a powerful boat.

Also, You have a typo in the comparisons, I co not believe the salona has a draft of 10M

Marty
Old 05-11-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Certainly the Salonas look the goods.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by yus View Post
Hello friends,
waiting for the test of the Azuree 33 I'm looking around for some good market proposal. I need a boat suitable for living aboard. I know the Azuree could seem not to be the right choice, but it is an other question. As I told you I have limited budget and I like very simple boat to be customized by myself. I have found the Varianta 44 which seems to be a very nice boat for my scope. I have read all the articles posted here (page n. 60). Do you have some more news or opinion to release today? Do you know how it is built the hull and the deck? I mean it is cored or solid?
Many thanks.
yus
Yus,

The Varianta would be interesting for living aboard if a minimum of thought or options were possible to do that, but the boat does not even as an anchor locker. See how they propose you anchor the boat:

How can I anchor the Varianta 44?
Simply lead an anchor and lead line through the divided pulpit into the water, run the lead line over a snatch block back to a winch.

For this one I strongly recomend a Fortress aluminum anchor

The boat has not also a true freezer nor a front sail furler.

You have to spend probably not 100 000€ but 120 000 perhaps a bit more to have a minimum of cruising capacity (and no anchor locker and that for me is the worse not to mention that the only outside locker opens directly to a cabin). The boat has almost no option list

The boat is nice and solid but was made for club regattas or for chartering, for those kind of guys that always sleep at the marina and anchor only for a sun bath and a swim.

Here yo have sail tests. You will find out more about the boat and will see what I mean.

Varianta Segelyachten - from Dehler with love

It is a nice boat:

Varianta Segelyachten - from Dehler with love

but not adapted for cruising and it's big, you would pay a lot of money at the marina and to do the annual anti-fouling.

If I wanted to buy new and for that price I would buy an Oceanis 37 (not a typical Benetau boat). I have posted about it on this thread. If I would choose between second hand boats I would choose probably a Jeanneau 42I or a Dufour 40.

I would recommend this one to you (I have seen the boat):

dufour 40 | Veleiros de ocasião 95320

The boat is at an incredible price because the guy is going away to work in Cabo Verde.

It is a professional (not a seller) he works with Dredgers (he has several) and the boat is in pristine condition in what regards mechanics (he worries a lot about that), not so well in what regards the interior (for a 2007 boat), obviously he don't care much about that ) but it is certainly a much better option than the Varianta. It is a fast and seaworthy boat with lots of storage and interior space and very well equipped for cruising.

As a bonus he can give you his place at the Marina de Olhão, in a very nice place in the South of Portugal almost for nothing (he helped to built the Marina). If I remember correctly the annual rent was something like 1000€ a year.

Marina de olhão - Pesquisa do Google

But if you are interested be quick because I know that are several guys trying to buy it but don't have all the money to give and want more time to pay.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-12-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-12-2011

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Linjett 40 I doubt has been mentioned before.

It is another of the small Swedish yards, from near Stockholm. A slightly more conservative version of Arcona.

Regards,
Anders
Old 05-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
Linjett 40 I doubt has been mentioned before.

It is another of the small Swedish yards, from near Stockholm. A slightly more conservative version of Arcona.

Regards,
Anders
Hei Anders,

No the Linjett 40 was not mentioned here and I don't know if I find it very interesting. It is certainly well built and expensive but a lot less modern than Arcona or Maxy yachts. It looks like an Arcona from the 90's.

Welcome - Linjett

Now, these boats are a lot more interesting . Don't you want to give it a try?

YouTube - Sailing - R36 training- Gothenburg - Sweden

Regards

Paulo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.